Thread: The Scripted events are really worrying me about the direction of the game

Thumbs Down The Scripted events are really worrying me about the direction of the game

For example, in the first training mission, the player has to walk up to the target area before he moves into his office.

Why is this? Why can't the target just move around themselves and let the player set up and prepare for them?

It makes no sense that the target just stands in one place until the player walks into the room/area.

Please change the AI of the targets back to the universal timer like in the older Hitman games.

I don't understand how the player is supposed to be able to use a sniper or other methods of distant assassination if the enemies have to be triggered to move somewhere/

In the old Hitman games, it was so satisfying to memorize the targets movements and set up the perfect death trap.

How is this supposed to work if 47 has to magically trigger them to move until we can set up the assassination.

I really hope this isn't going to remain in the final game, this is not Hitman. It feels too much like Absolution when these triggers are forced in the game.

+1

Surprising to see that triggers are being relied on once again. Pretty sure everybody was expecting movement based on timers that changes only when 47 is exposed. Makes the game feel much more dynamic.

Agreed, this is a very bad design decision. I can understand some of the grander events being triggered directly by 47's involvement (like the ejector seat execution), but this shouldn't be the case for most things. The meeting on the yacht should happen regardless of 47 being on the yacht, the characters should move around and interact with items on a timetable, so you can learn the timetable and build your strategy around it.

Without that autonomy the whole idea of a sandbox game breaks down.

Definitely a big disappointment if this is how the full levels work.

Lets pray to god it's only for the tutorial missions.

I've read it's the same in Paris mission. THIS HAS TO CHANGE ,IOI. This seems to be one of the top 3 complaints about the beta. It destroys replayability. Do you want people to buy more seasons? Or those waiting for full disc version are going to read about this problem and say , "Screw this, I don't want to be walking all over triggering different events". I feel like it's an insult to the player's intelligence, So will we have to trigger the secret auction in Paris, by walking by so & so bathroom on the top floor? Will we have to enter the front entrance of the Sanguine to trigger Novikov's actions? What the hell is that? That's not freedom of approach. I was clean shaven when I played the first mission in beta, I had a 5'o clock shadow by the time I figured out I MUST go over and trigger Norfolk/Ritter conversation! Then I poisoned the mechanics coffee cup in The final test, waiting for him to come over from out front, he never showed up because I entered in front the right side by hopping fence. So I had to go all the way back out front, walk by them and go back and hide to wait for him to drink his poison. Just a terrible system. You guys are so close making this game truly great, and these things (along with no human shield , inventory wheel that pauses the game) are holding it back.
    Last edited by jimbianco; 20th Feb 2016 at 05:43.

I think it is fine personally. After the 8 hours I spent with the Beta, I feel it makes it less about micromanagement and waiting, and more about finding the core of killing the target in a creative way. I don't see why this would be that much of a bad thing. I believe that this choice encourages exploration more than most of the other games. This may just be me because I generally dislike focusing on a million different things and this lets me focus on what I need to at the moment. and I don't think that almost anybody would go through the first training mission without going to that deck (Which I believe is the trigger) and I think that It is overall a positive change in general.

I absolutely agree with everyone saying that the triggered events are a big problem. The flow of the game and any immersion is completely destroyed once you play a stage a second time and realize events only happened based on your proximity. It's mind blowing how massive of a problem this is, especially considering how good everything else in the game is so far. Really don't get why anyone thought this was a good idea.

but it’s also fairly tightly scripted. The main players will always be in certain locations at certain times, and time tends to tick over when you undertake an opportunity and move the unseen clock forward rather than advancing of its own volition.

from a review of Paris showstopper

I have to say i don't like scripted events as well. It was never happened in BM and its predecessor, doing this only made the immersion goes away.

+1
    I really enjoyed playing the beta but the scripted events are one of the major issues besides the performance. They destroy the replayability, immersion and different options to kill the target. Please go back to the universal timer system and use this triggers only for specific events like conversations between more unimportent npc's.

Imagine if IOI replaced the proximity triggers with red buttons
    that you had to press to activate the next scene.

That's how linear it is.

My god this game is so close to Blood Money 2 it's not even funny.
    If they can fix this mess then we'll be on our way to the best Hitman ever created.

I also have to agree that it was puzzling that in the first tutorial I had to trigger an otherwise arbitrary event to get the target to move to the next spot. This makes the game incredibly conditional.

PiP camera can be brought back as an indicator that something important is happening.
    I always loved it as it was cinematic, especally if you have a certain 'accident' waiting to happen. You can watch it play out without having to be there.

I really hope that developers hear our prayers and will correct this problem. Let the game live by itself!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbianco View Post
    but it’s also fairly tightly scripted. The main players will always be in certain locations at certain times, and time tends to tick over when you undertake an opportunity and move the unseen clock forward rather than advancing of its own volition.

from a review of Paris showstopper
    Yes, but was that not of the closed alpha build of the game?

(click image to enlarge)