Thread: Lag compensation for abilities?

Lag compensation for abilities?

Lag compensation for abilities?

While I'm certain that there's lag compensation for weapons and melee attacks, i can always feel the delay when using abilities. As such many times i have faced situations where i would die before the ability activates. Why can't they implement a lag compensation system for abilities as well?

Hm no replies? Doesn't anyone else feel the lag in abilities or is everyone playing here has sub 100 ping?

I mean this has made it almost impossible for me to properly play classes like tyrant who relies on abilities to deal damage.

I can even feel the delay when trying to drag corpses or to cancel a feed attempt.

I normally have about 60 ping. I can't really tell how much difference less than that would make because I don't play that many multiplayer games and I've only really played in my own apartment, so I don't have anything else to compare it with. I think 60 is about average as long as I'm playing with people in the same region.

EDIT: On second thought, when I do get put on a different region's server the ping does go over 100 and it's pretty bad. It's rare that I do get matched with other regions though.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by DeadlyMak
    Hm no replies? Doesn't anyone else feel the lag in abilities or is everyone playing here has sub 100 ping?

I mean this has made it almost impossible for me to properly play classes like tyrant who relies on abilities to deal damage.

I can even feel the delay when trying to drag corpses or to cancel a feed attempt.
    Are you playing over wifi?
    As long as I play on EU servers, generally I have under 60 ping. Thats with a LAN connection, I don't play Multiplayer games over wifi and would not recommend it as your hit registry will be slightly more delayed than over LAN and more susceptible to dropped packets.

As for the abilities triggering, they mostly all have a slightly delayed activation anyway (Prophets Hex shot for example) and you just have to get used to triggering them slightly ahead of time.
    Same for Tyrant abilities, although technically you can actually trigger some abilities whilst still in the air.

The ranged weapons (Crossbow, pistols, Alch Cannon etc) are mostly instant. Pistols and Crossbows are hitscan, Cannon is not.
    Vanguard & Scout weps have a bit of a delay to them (drawing the bow etc) with Vanguard axes needing to be aimed ahead of the moving target as they are projectiles and not hitscan.

I am not a fan of lag compensation, as it can be abused by players who like to mess with lag.
    Also its messed up in that a player with a 20 ping connection gets punished for having a good connection and hits don't register because someone from the other side of the world decides they want to spoil your fun.

Better to just stick to servers in your own region where your ping should not be over 100.
    If you are not on wifi, I would check your background processes and see whats going on.
    Malware will mess up your internet connection quality too.
    Last edited by SonixSquad; 17th Feb 2016 at 16:58.
    signature image
    aka: Hellsonix / LeMMy

My region is Asia, as there's no servers here (Asia/Oceania doesn't really count as it is in Australia) i have to play in EU. I get about 170-180 ping and i only use wired internet.

Never had a problem with hit register due to the lag compensation. Even vampire's melee attacks registers correctly for me.

Never even felt the delay in firing the guns either. However the abilities, they are not affected by the lag compensation as well as the interact key as i said in my last post.

As Tyrant, this delay makes the charge>ground slam combo even longer to complete. By the time i would even finish the combo, i would go from full health to less than 300 health. Unlike Reavers where you can charge your pounce before you engage or Deceivers where you engage from stealth, as Tyrant you have to do this mid fight thus you would take some significant damage due to the extra delay.

While playing as humans the delay would make some abilities that you would have activated before you die not go off.

Another problem is dragging corpses, i would have to press and hold e for more than half a second for it to work. Same could be said for canceling feeding attempt as well as using a supply station(although latter is not much of an issue as it's usually done out of combat).

Lag compensation is definitely needed if your only going have servers in 3 out of 196 countries.(out of which one is so deserted that it's taken out of server status page).
    Last edited by DeadlyMak; 18th Feb 2016 at 18:35.

Also i don't know if this is related to latency or not but i had a reload bug with alchemist today which showed it reloaded all 5 of it's clip but in reality only reloaded 1 shell.

Yeah it should be implemented. Card fight system is VERY PING SENSETIVE. Playing quake-style fast-paced game feels much more comfortable on high ping, because there are no super powerful attacks. Ping about 150 example in warsow.
    Example of ping sensetive situation: tyrant's ground slam vs scout's knives -- who do it first?
    Last edited by ButtCrusher; 26th Feb 2016 at 10:15.
    Sorry for my terrible English

I believe Oghamsmith said something about this in the stream, that they're taking a look at this possibility or something.

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    I believe Oghamsmith said something about this in the stream, that they're taking a look at this possibility or something.
    Can you tell me at which timeline in the video he mentions it?

Originally Posted by DeadlyMak
    Can you tell me at which timeline in the video he mentions it?
    Well, i don't remember the exact moment he mentions it...but i do remember someone asking this question and Oghamsmith responding.
    It's nothing like "they are working on this"...he said something like "this is a possibility..." etc

Here is link in case you wanna try to find it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtqn7CMpxM

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    Well, i don't remember the exact moment he mentions it...but i do remember someone asking this question and Oghamsmith responding.
    It's nothing like "they are working on this"...he said something like "this is a possibility..." etc

Here is link in case you wanna try to find it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtqn7CMpxM
    Ok he talks about it at 45:30, He says there are some problems with hit box scenarios with abilities, that's an altogether different issue to lag compensation. He then proceeds to say that in general play we are pretty much in place before getting busy with the game.

Doesn't make much sense, doesn't ability constitute general play? I mean yes shooting/melee attack constitutes more to the game but i believe ability at least constitute to about 30% of the game. The crowd control it provides is extremely valuable and decide the course of the game.

I'm just sick of dying and then looking behind me at a Reaver who's mindlessly flailing about 20m away.

Oh, he was hitting me? Okay then...

This would be very good...the most affected ability from this is Bulwark, high ping users still get hit after activating it.
    This ultimately renders it useless for high pingers...but it's a great ability when used by low pingers.

Originally Posted by Raptr0s
    I'm just sick of dying and then looking behind me at a Reaver who's mindlessly flailing about 20m away.

Oh, he was hitting me? Okay then...
    Well i had a few rare instance of players stopping and then fast forwarding but that's more related to packet loss or jitter than latency itself.