Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [DISCUSSION] Disguise Gameplay

Post [DISCUSSION] Disguise Gameplay

Disguises, disguises, disguises.

They are a big part of any Hitman game. We've made some adjustments to how the HITMAN disguise system works compared to previous games. In short, they feel powerful but you need to watch out for Enforcers. They will be able to see through your disguise.

The game will explain this in the best way, so come back once you've played a little bit.

I like the new system so far, much better than Absolution's execution. It feels accurate and legitimate; select members of security or staff (Enforcers, as you've said, Travis) are able to see through the disguise upon inspection as they know their workers. However, what I especially appreciate is the implementation of the "no one pays attention to the help" theme; where security seem to pay no mind when in a maintenance-like disguise. I'm looking forward to seeing how the AI react to various disguises in the main game!

(click image to enlarge)

I really enjoy this new system! Great step forward from Absolution, even better than Blood Money!
    I just would like the act of disguising to take a little more time!

I like the new system but sometimes someone notices me even though I'm behind him. HOW DOES HE KNOW WHO I AM WITHOUT SEEING ME!

I'd like more blend in options like the bar.

Sorry.... I'm new around here. I would love to thank the Programmers/ designers!! The game engine looks tight!! Shading/ graphics are the Don! I only don't have the Beta... You want my expertise YOU PAY ME! Not vice versa! I do have some suggestions, but with BETA testing already in effect, i think my input would be misheard... If you need and experienced tester (that's actually gonna' help you shape the future of the HITMAN title!) please hook me up!

Good luck withe the title! (and fix the shooting cinematics! 47 looks like a 3yr old operating a DE .50!)

Peeeace!

MunchiesxD

Much better than Absolution's system.

I've always liked the classic bar system the best, but I'm happy with the new system too.

I really like the new system. The 'levels' of suspicion are nice, you're not immediately cooked if someone spots you. And the indicator showing who will see through your disguise is very low-key and non-intrusive.

I'm always pretty quick to be critical, especially where I think it can really help the final game, but no - I have NO criticism, constructive or otherwise. Disguises totally makes sense, much more so than in Absolution and works great - I've never felt like I haven't been warned if I get rumbled.

Good job!

Perfect best of any series. Unlike absolution if you're an officer not every officer recognizes you making exploration impossible, but it makes sense that one or two like the Lt would. Finally the most difficult part of the game design is perfected. Gives you freedom like blood money but just enough tension.

I think it's a good compromise between Blood Money's water-tight disguises and Absolution's overly-punishing system. It's necessary to know which NPCs will see through your disguise, so having little pointers over their heads makes sense.

Does the suspicion spike more quickly depending on how close you are to an Enforcer, and is it dependant on whether you are facing them or not? If not, I think this kind of subtlety in how quickly they bust you would add a lot and puts more control in the hands of the player in logical, tension-building ways.

Picture the scene: you have to pass near an Enforcer but you quickly move past so they can't see your face. The spike slows down. You're walking away, heading towards a corner where you can break line of sight. The needle has almost spiked, but you're putting some distance between the two of you, so it slows down further. It seems like you're not going to make it. You think about sprinting the last bit, but you know that sprinting makes NPC attention spike really quickly. Due to the distance and the fact he can only see the back of your head, the spike speed slows right down and you feel like you've made it out of sight by the skin of your teeth.

If that's how it works, great! It doesn't seem that obvious though so maybe the factors that affect the speed at which the NPC attention spikes needs to be made more obvious.

These tense, walking-speed encounters are a core element of Hitman so complexity and subtlety in how the detection mechanics work are vital.

Quote Originally Posted by manicman View Post
    I think it's a good compromise between Blood Money's water-tight disguises and Absolution's overly-punishing system. It's necessary to know which NPCs will see through your disguise, so having little pointers over their heads makes sense.

Does the suspicion spike more quickly depending on how close you are to an Enforcer, and is it dependant on whether you are facing them or not? If not, I think this kind of subtlety in how quickly they bust you would add a lot and puts more control in the hands of the player in logical, tension-building ways.

Picture the scene: you have to pass near an Enforcer but you quickly move past so they can't see your face. The spike slows down. You're walking away, heading towards a corner where you can break line of sight. The needle has almost spiked, but you're putting some distance between the two of you, so it slows down further. It seems like you're not going to make it. You think about sprinting the last bit, but you know that sprinting makes NPC attention spike really quickly. Due to the distance and the fact he can only see the back of your head, the spike speed slows right down and you feel like you've made it out of sight by the skin of your teeth.

If that's how it works, great! It doesn't seem that obvious though so maybe the factors that affect the speed at which the NPC attention spikes needs to be made more obvious.

These tense, walking-speed encounters are a core element of Hitman so complexity and subtlety in how the detection mechanics work are vital.
    I like this.

I definitely like this disguise system a lot. I'm especially grateful that the weird meter from Absolution is gone, and the fact that people who can recognize you are clearly marked is great. That was always one of the older game's bigger flaws: not being clear what the rules were regarding your costume. Haven't had any issues with this part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by manicman View Post
    This would be awesome. Facing away from the guards should allow us more time to not be detected, which adds a new element to disguises. Meaning we would have to carefully position ourselves to not be detected.

I think IOI got the disguise system pretty much spot on this time, but I do agree with manicman and HolographicLotus's suggestion that facing away from enforcers should slow down their suspicion growth a little.

I also think that running should speed it up, but that's a nitpick. Overall the new new disguise system is one of the biggest improvements IOI have made over Absolution in my opinion.

The new system allows us more freedom while retaining that tension when near by an enforcer.

However in the higher difficulty settings running past standard guards should provoke a little suspicion at least.

Quote Originally Posted by HolographicLotus View Post
    The new system allows us more freedom while retaining that tension when near by an enforcer.

However in the higher difficulty settings running past standard guards should provoke a little suspicion at least.
    Performing suspicious actions such as running and - especially - ducking into cover should definitely spike the suspicion-o-meter. When passing within view of an enforcer it should be all about putting distance between the two of you and breaking line of sight as calmly and insouciantly as possible.

If you can just duck under a wall like that bit in There's Something About Mary when Mary clocks Ben Stiller has followed her to Miami then it's going to look as comical as that film. It should be like The Bourne Identity where he just keeps walking purposefully with his head down and slips away into the crowd.

Performing suspicious actions such as running and - especially - ducking into cover should definitely spike the suspicion-o-meter. When passing within view of an enforcer it should be all about putting distance between the two of you and breaking line of sight as calmly and insouciantly as possible.

If you can just duck under a wall like that bit in There's Something About Mary when Mary clocks Ben Stiller has followed her to Miami then it's going to look as comical as that film. It should be like The Bourne Identity where he just keeps walking purposefully with his head down and slips away into the crowd.

The disguise system feels very right. I noticed one problem though. In the final test level, if you have a security guard uniform and you hop the fence and make your way all the way to the right, hop the next fence and jump the window into the compound, theres two other security guards sitting on a couch. One is an enforcer. The problem is that although hes looking straight ahead the whole time, the meter starts to spike. I even did some experiments with this guy. Not only does the meter start to spike when im roughly 100 degrees angled to the right of this guy (that means im essentially behind him), but the meter continues to spike when i turn around facing away from him. This particular security guard deserves a raise for being able to spot an intruder that is not only far behind his line of sight, but also turned away from him

This would be awesome. Facing away from the guards should allow us more time to not be detected, which adds a new element to disguises. Meaning we would have to carefully position ourselves to not be detected.
    I second that. In the beta I was giving my back far away to an enforcer but he was still able to recognize me and at an incredible speed. It should be slowed down and it would be nice to see more their face reactions wondering etc and more blending spots which I hope will be numerous in the full game.

Except that I find the disguise system more balanced wich is great.

I did a bit more experimenting with this last night using a cop uniform on the two cops to the right of the starting spot on the Calvin Ritter mission, one of whom is an enforcer.

If you stand within his eyeline, the attention meter starts to spike. If you drop into cover, it goes away. If you stand up, it starts to spike again. So you can pop up and down like a jack-in-the box and this is somehow not suspicious. Really I'd like to see ducking into cover spike the attention meter.

Also, if I wanted to pass near this enforcer, doing so at about 10m distance at a walking speed meant I got busted, as it took too long. But if I sprinted, I was fine. So again, acting in what logically feels like a very suspicious way is actually less likely to get me busted than staying calm and purposeful.

Please IO, make suspicious activities like running and taking cover spike the attention meter, and reward players for keeping their face angled away from NPCs and getting some distance.

I really love the Enforcer mechanic. It's a great mix of the systems from Blood Money and Absolution, but I agree with what has been said above about the way guard's currently react to suspicious behaviour. I've been in cover next to a door, and guards don't seem to care despite it visually seeming really suspicious. I've crouched walked past them too, and ducked in and out of cover, and they didn't seem to mind all that much. Slowly walking past a guard shouldn't be the most suspicious way of moving through a room!

The guards forget you so quickly when you break line of sight that toggling in and out of cover is the easiest way to cross a room, despite it looking pretty crazy! If a guard is watching you and they see you go into cover then it should probably cause the meter to spike pretty quickly.

I really like it so far, definitely on the right track, but does need to be tweaked a bit in regards to suspicious behavior, like others have said. One thing that bothered me was on the Final Test, I was disguised as guard and climbing out of the KGB officers window and onto the ledge, now the guard below saw me as I climbed out the window and watched, and his reaction to this unbelievably suspicious behavior was to comment "hey, hes doing agility, I don't know why it's call agility, but he's doing it" or something along those lines.

He wasn't an enforcer, and I like that they can't all see through disguises, but he is still a security guard! It felt so wrong to be getting away with such incredibly suspicious behavior, especially in front of GUARDS!

Like it! period (lol)

The new disguise system is very good and fixes the broken absolution mechanic as well as improves the one from blood money.
    However there's one little problem: If you play with all the helps disabled there's no way to know which NPC is an enforcer or not.
    So I had to re-enable the NPC icon option.
    Seeing all these white dots above heads (from a far distance) is kind of immersion breaking to me.

I would have prefered to being able to distinguish the enforcers from the others through their looks/dialogs/hints of some kind.
    Last edited by hichanbis; 18th Feb 2016 at 13:22.

I think Disguises are pretty good, but I think that dropped disguises should alert guards if they see them and you should be able to hide them a la bodies.
    If there's a security outfit in the middle on of an office and no one notices... just my two cents.

Also if someone notices you in the yacht employees uniform and you "blend in", the entire room just keeps suspecting you ad infinitum. Rather immersion breaking and annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast