Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [DISCUSSION] Animations

Post [DISCUSSION] Animations

We want to hear your thoughts about how Agent 47 and the others characters move, shoot, die, fall etc.

Everything that's got anything to do with animation, put it in this thread!

I absolutely love the way 47 moves in the beta. His animations are smooth and fluid, especially in cover. His walking animation is great, as it feels determined and calculated, yet cold and intimidating. I was hoping for a more hands-on animation for door opening and things of that nature, but it's sufficiently satisfactory as is.

With characters dying or falling, it's about what I expected: similar to Absolution. I was hoping for less ragdoll and more Euphoria-like physics, but it works so far. I think my only complaint is throwing objects at people to knock them out; their body kind of goes stiff like they've been immediately paralyzed and just topple over. Now, I've never thrown a hammer in someone's face to see how they react physically, but stiffening up like a flash-frozen test subject probably isn't what happens. However, I have no legitimate complaints as of yet.

(click image to enlarge)

I generally like the animations - maybe a little stiff sometimes.

But in the prolog where Agent 47 is sitting down i a room with a man. And Diana and another guy is talking outside. It was like he (Agent 47) was dead or his animation was turned off. I only noticed him moving his hand a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RReineR View Post
    I generally like the animations - maybe a little stiff sometimes.

But in the prolog where Agent 47 is sitting down i a room with a man. And Diana and another guy is talking outside. It was like he (Agent 47) was dead or his animation was turned off. I only noticed him moving his hand a little bit.
    Well, that's a cutscene, so...probably deliberate.
    The resident psychiatrist was going over Rorschach tests. 47 may have just been sitting perfectly still.

(click image to enlarge)

When I garroted the target in the training mission on the boat with the piano wire, the animation seemed slightly off position between 47 and his wire, and the target in question. It felt to me like the anchor point was too far to one side, and 47's hand was inside the target's neck. Only tried once myself so far so can't confirm if its a regular occurrence or a one off.

Exclamation hilarious glitch while trying to hide a body.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_IO View Post
    We want to hear your thoughts about how Agent 47 and the others characters move, shoot, die, fall etc.

Everything that's got anything to do with animation, put it in this thread!
    Found a rather hilarious glitch today while trying to conceal the yacht targets body. Your doors close too quickly!

But apart from that I'm thoroughly enjoying the beta! Thanks.

Animations are a bit stiff but its classic hitman so I am ok with that, the only thing that looked realy bad is the clipping that ocured when garoting victims.

Sean your links didnt work for me, but I found your video and laughed. a lot.

Yeah the animations are stiff and they don't blend together that well.

I hoped Agent 47 can close/open doors with his hands but I can live with that. However, I'd like to close the door behind me without rotating the camera 180 degrees every time I enter a room.

Dear developers. I've played in BETA of your new HITMAN. I like almost everything, exept animation of agent 47! Especially: equipping weapons, changing clothes, opening doors. It doesn't have REALISTIC! In your previous games, not include Hitman Absolution, agent 47 has a more or less realistic animations of all this stuff (equipping weapons, changing clothes, opening doors). This is THIRD person game! This should be most realistic animation than every other genre of games! Because player can see all actions, that doing characters. I hope you will get this message and make your game better!

Many people said and thats right - walk animation is strange. Smth wrong with shoulders. It seems that shoulder has no simple sine wave movements at all. Not only back/forward, but from right to left. All movements as i nave noticed were like in one plane direction (forward/back). All other movements like sine wave (no fractal curve) its too ideal. Its strange, all previous hitman games had no problem with this. May be its only the beta?
    Last edited by Pike001; 12th Feb 2016 at 16:49. Reason: Correction

i was hoping you guys would bring back the classic third person shooting mechanic instead of the over the shoulder absolution one. It ruins Role playing having to over the shoulder kill the target. Nothing feels more satisfying than walking into a room shooting the target in the head while still having full movement control and an amazing looking animation to boot. I understand you guys wanted to get rid of first person so you introduced over the shoulder or something, but at least give some of us fans the classic shooting feeling, minus the classic rag-doll.

I think the assault rifles and snipers on 47's back need a little more attention to detail, the idea is nice but the execution is a bit sloppy, it doesn't look believable the way it hangs there, add a strap maybe or bring back the cases. Some people like to role play as 47, don't ruin immersion by taking away awesome features.

I just want to see more realism with opening and closing doors and putting bodies in crates. Especially with a game of this nature, the more realistic, the more enthralled I am. I don't feel like a deadly assassin when my character can't open and close things in a realistic way.

One other animation issue I ran into was targets walking right through other NPC's as if they were not even there.

And maybe it's just me, but I could not hide my weapons. Agent 47 carried everything as clear as day. I am new to the Hitman games and wasn't sure if there was a way to hide your weapons on Agent 47 without exposing them?

Quote Originally Posted by CavScout1616 View Post
    I just want to see more realism with opening and closing doors and putting bodies in crates. Especially with a game of this nature, the more realistic, the more enthralled I am. I don't feel like a deadly assassin when my character can't open and close things in a realistic way.

One other animation issue I ran into was targets walking right through other NPC's as if they were not even there.

And maybe it's just me, but I could not hide my weapons. Agent 47 carried everything as clear as day. I am new to the Hitman games and wasn't sure if there was a way to hide your weapons on Agent 47 without exposing them?
    Hey Cav, welcome to the series!

Quick tip, hit up on the dpad to hide concealable weapons.

The OG hitman games didn't have door opening animations, so I don't think IO would add them in at this point.

The controls feel really tight to me; walking down a crowded hallway isn't made difficult, as you can easily navigate around people. But like other people have said, something just feels a tad off with 47's movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I think my only complaint is throwing objects at people to knock them out; their body kind of goes stiff like they've been immediately paralyzed and just topple over. Now, I've never thrown a hammer in someone's face to see how they react physically, but stiffening up like a flash-frozen test subject probably isn't what happens. However, I have no legitimate complaints as of yet.
    I noticed that too, but I liken it to a shock to the system; your body tenses up all at once.

First off, so far just about everything in the beta has got me really excited for the games release, the creators seem to be putting everything that was great about blood money into this game. And with the animations I mostly think they are great, I have no concern with how agent 47 walks etc. however there are two things I don't like about the animations.

One of these was also in absolution, which is when you equip a pistol agent 47 hand appears to move into his jacket to grab the pistol which is good, however when you unequip the pistol it just disappears without his hand moving. One of my favorite things to do in blood money was walk up to the target appear to take the pistol out of the jacket shoot him then appear to put the pistol back in the jacket and walk away. It added to the immersion of the game.

The other small issue I have with the animation is hiding bodies the animation isn't fluid, eg he doesn't seem to pick up the body then dump it. Instead the animation changes straight to the body about to be put in the closet or dumpster etc. again it's not a massive issue it just takes away from the immersion

The biggest thing I've found so far is how you hide bodies. It's not very fluid and just cuts straight to him dumping the body in the dumpster or whatever it is. Sometimes it's so fast the body actually clips through 47 before readjusting.

I'm getting the animation issues with the piano wire as well, where it looks off center.

When shooting a pistol, I really can't get used to how drastic the view changes. In previous hitman games the change in camera angle when shooting was very slight. Now its much more drastic. It doesn't feel like you are looking over 47's shoulder, it looks like you are looking at him from the side.

Quote Originally Posted by TangibleOrange View Post
    The biggest thing I've found so far is how you hide bodies. It's not very fluid and just cuts straight to him dumping the body in the dumpster or whatever it is. Sometimes it's so fast the body actually clips through 47 before readjusting.
    I agree 100%

The animations on death are pretty damn wooden too: Shoot a guy in the head, and he slowly flops to the ground (I don't mean the slo-mo kills, obv.). Feels like the ragdolls almost need to be sped up, given more weight, or whatever.

Also, is it me, or is there basically no blood whatsoever? I'm not being some child, after Soldier of Fortune level gore or anything, but it feels pretty damn strange to shoot a man through the skull and see no trace of blood or damage at all. EDIT: Just remembered that the training is 'simulated' weapons, so hoping that's why, and it will be more realistic on the missions themselves. My comments above about the animations still stand though.
    Last edited by TheNeil; 13th Feb 2016 at 16:08.

This is more about voice over work than animations but I didn't know where else to put it so here goes. All persons of interest in a given mission seem to have distinct voices and that's great. The thing about that is if I run into one, they seem to default to a NPC voice. For example, the KGB commander in The Final Test mission has a Russian accent but if I run into him or if he's saying something to me as I walk by then he replies in a generic NPC voice with an American accent. Same goes for Terry Norfolk in the Freeform mission. I'm not sure if this is just a Beta thing and it will be worked out before the release but it's something I noticed and it takes away from the immersion.

The voice work on the minor NPCs isn't great overall tbh (though a lot of that seems to be more script than delivery). I raised a little of that over in this thread, though appreciate that what you're saying is more about the mixing of different actors than the delivery itself.
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=186084

The garroting animation needs to be fixed. Badly.

Personally, I like 47's posture. It's the same as in the previous games - stiff and cold. 47 is a stiff, cold (but professional) sociopath. His movement animations are great. They reflect a lot about 47's character.

Also, I know this isn't really animation per say, but when you shoot someone, dust seems to shoot out of them. Like clouds of dirt. Like you're shooting a sandbag filled with sand AND blood... It's strange.

Last thing: crowd NPC animations are awkward when 47 walks straight into them. Their animations are pretty slight and subtle, but the distance they move (to get out of your way) do not match these subtle animations. It results in the NPCs sort of sliding out of your way - the only way I can think to describe it is that it's like flicking a balloon. That's how they move out of your way. And if they can't move, you just clip straight through them. Honestly, the clipping is the worst part of it. This problem really stands in the way of the crowd system being great. This, AND the aforementioned crowd's unfitting reactions to high profile, violent actions.

Quote Originally Posted by radioteque View Post
    Hey Cav, welcome to the series!

Quick tip, hit up on the dpad to hide concealable weapons.

The OG hitman games didn't have door opening animations, so I don't think IO would add them in at this point.
    Thank you for the welcome! I did end up figuring that out, but thank you very much for tip. Even though they didn't do realistic door animations in previous games, I am hoping that will change. Being the first Hitman game on the PS4, you'd think they would be able to make that happen. Either way I will still enjoy the game. It would just be nice to have a little more realism.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast