Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [DISCUSSION] Animations

Quote Originally Posted by Sceysch View Post
    When I garroted the target in the training mission on the boat with the piano wire, the animation seemed slightly off position between 47 and his wire, and the target in question. It felt to me like the anchor point was too far to one side, and 47's hand was inside the target's neck. Only tried once myself so far so can't confirm if its a regular occurrence or a one off.
    Quote Originally Posted by TangibleOrange View Post
    The biggest thing I've found so far is how you hide bodies. It's not very fluid and just cuts straight to him dumping the body in the dumpster or whatever it is. Sometimes it's so fast the body actually clips through 47 before readjusting.

These are the two things that I noticed most.

I also found the fiber wire animations to be a bit off, almost like the wire wasn't actually hitting the neck at all. I've noticed this seems to always be the case.

The only other major animation issue I have is 47's death animation. I know he's fallen down like that in previous games, but when it happens on stairs or next to a wall it just doesn't look very good or realistic. As much as animations generally always look better than simply ragdolling, if he's going to clip through a wall or something it probably would look a lot better if he ragdolled there. Varied death animations would be nice too, but that's not really a major issue by any means.

(On a tiny note, did anyone notice 47 can't blink?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGTYdQunv34

One thing I noticed was when an NPC died next to a wall or something, sometimes they would prop themselves up against it, bent at the knees as if sat on an invisible chair, and kind slowly move about till they eventually fell over onto the floor; and a similar thing happening if you melee attack some one close to something they can lean against, they fall up against it and kind of jutter against it a bit, eventually falling to the ground. Not a massive deal, but looks really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by radioteque View Post
    (On a tiny note, did anyone notice 47 can't blink?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGTYdQunv34
    Lol that looks so weird.. Maybe he licks his eyes clean like a gecko when no one is looking.

- Garroting animation not as smooth & takedown animations for it not as varied unlike previous titles
    - A holstering animation of items\weapons is missing
    - Needs Melee Kill animations with weapons as well as knockout and pistol whip needs to return
    - Aiming/shooting feels sluggish & slow motion effect is just awful

Enjoying the beta, but finding some of Agent 47's animations to be a bit janky. Most have already been noted but the one that really stuck out for me was the coin-throwing animation. It literally looks like Hitman is doing a coin toss up in the air and isn't throwing it in the direction the player intended. And you don't even see the coin fall! Don't get me wrong, I'm already committed to getting the Full Experience and I'm sure based on what I've played so far that I will enjoy the game regardless, but I had higher expectations for the animation in general given how good the game looks. And there are many games out there that put more attention into little things like this. As Hitman is not a "shootery" game, like Tomb Raider or Just Cause, one would hope that the resources that would normally go into making large, bombastic explosions and special effects in those other games could be placed towards creating animations as fluid and realistic as possible, but I'll be happy with a Hitman game that doesn't cut corners or constantly have me thinking "that looked weird".

Hopefully as each new "episode" of the final product rolls out, animation improvements will apply to all previously released content ;-)
    Last edited by Roujin Z; 14th Feb 2016 at 22:41.

I tend to agree that 47's movements - especially when it comes to drawing, holstering, reloading and slinging longer weapons need to be more intricate and take longer. Those details could really improve the feel of the game.

dp
    Last edited by manicman; 14th Feb 2016 at 23:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Roujin Z View Post
    Enjoying the beta, but finding some of Agent 47's animations to be a bit janky. Most have already been noted but the one that really stuck out for me was the coin-throwing animation. It literally looks like Hitman is doing a coin toss up in the air and isn't throwing it in the direction the player intended.
    You can barely see it, but he flicks the coin instead of throwing it.

I don't care for the fact that large weapons just migrate from his hands to his back, and just stick there magically.

The garrote animation isn't synched properly, 47's hands are often out of position relative to his victim.

The neck snap looks too nonchalant, like his victims all have osteoporosis and their necks snap like twigs, it needs to be a more committed and forceful action.

When sheathing weapons they just disappear out of 47's hands, he doesn't put them away.

When putting bodies into bins or lockers he goes from on the ground with the body to immediately holding the body and putting it away, there is no pick up transition animation.

Hi everyone, I followed Hitman forums since a while and played almost all the games except the 1st not entirely and I'm really glad to be part of the journey to make Hitman, the game greater than ever. You can count on me to give you all the feedback needed to make it a bloody brilliant game

That being said, for my 1st post here I would say thenk you IO, I'm really enjoying my time with the beta, it has a great potential and a good taste to what's to come, it could really be Blood Money follow up. It just needs a lot of care in tweaking and extra polishing especially in the animation's department.

I really liked 47' animations like crouching, climbing over a fence or vault, killing someone in the back with the silencer snapping necks for example.

However, despite the fact that I liked others, they need a lot of polish like stair walking up and down sometimes it feels 47 has a leg on an invisible ground, garotting someone is glitched, also when npcs zip a dead body in the bag it's glitching everywhere lol.

Please add variety in kills depending on the attack angles, position crouch or standing and speed wether you walk or run. It would add a lot of variety and would avoid repetitivity and leads us to want to try all the weapons and be creative.

Also something I really don't like is when 47 or any other npc or target, when walking in the crowd, when they collide between themselves either they glitch or the npcs or pushed like they slide or a soapy ground. They don't walk away or step back they just surf lol. It lacks physics and weight please add that. Also when dragging bodies they also lack true body physics and weight. They fly all over the place sometimes.

Please devs be sure to take extra care of all animations to get them synched perfectly

Some animations missing like opening/closing doors, holstering unholstering, rifle magically sticking in the back should go to be replaced by something realistically credible. Can we have proper door interactions animations please ?

47 could open a door discretly with the joystick or brutally with his shoulder or kicking it if somebody's behind or to escape or to make a bloody entrance.

Imo the animations are an integral part of the core game and make the game feel alive and immersive. Take examples on Naughty Dog's animations quality or even FFXV since you're a part of Square Enix I think you could share a lot between studios.

If I could I would join you as a tester to help improve the game lol. For the moment it's all that go through my mind but stay reasured I will come back if I have anything to add.
    Congrats and wish you the best, I know it's a tough work but I'm sure with patience and perseverance and a lot of care to every detail possible, we'll go through this.

Amically yours.
    Last edited by Shahyd; 15th Feb 2016 at 02:49.

I had a lot of problems with deat by proxy challenge, if the guards were talking dont trigger correctly, sometimes Jasper dont investigate the projector and when i finally did it, he was not investigating the projector he was very far, i dont know how he died electrocute.
    Also sometimes when i read the radio letter event, the talking button (triangle) stop working.

Five issues came up during my playthrough.
    1. The animation while hiding/dumping subdued characters: It is too much of a brake, no fluent motion from dragging the body to placing it into the dumpster or closet.
    2. After having subdued the smoking guard on board the ship next to the generator on level 0, I changed clothes and hid him in the closet, but he kept breathing cigarette smoke. Strange behaviour.
    3. Walking the stairs: Looking from above it seems like 47 is walking in the air.
    4. Disguised as Norfolk, when Ritter is leading the way to his office, Ritter went right through all characters standing in his path. Happened only once but might be worth checking out.
    5. Picking up coins from the ground, 47 does not bend down far enough. Seems weird, but that is probably something that cannot be fixed.
    These are minor critics. They do not keep me from enjoying the game! I really am looking forward to the release.

Five issues came up during my playthrough.
    1. The animation while hiding/dumping subdued characters: It is too much of a brake, no fluent motion from dragging the body to placing it into the dumpster or closet.
    2. After having subdued the smoking guard on board the ship next to the generator on level 0, I changed clothes and hid him in the closet, but he kept breathing cigarette smoke. Strange behaviour.
    3. Walking the stairs: Looking from above it seems like 47 is walking in the air.
    4. Disguised as Norfolk, when Ritter is leading the way to his office, Ritter went right through all characters standing in his path. Happened only once but might be worth checking out.
    5. Picking up coins from the ground, 47 does not bend down far enough. Seems weird, but that is probably something that cannot be fixed.
    These are minor critics. They do not keep me from enjoying the game! I really am looking forward to the release.

Don't know if anyone noticed it, but when u try to subdue someone without hitting the square button you yust kneeling there, choking your victim like forever. Can't he free himself after a while and try to run for the Guards to alert them ? Whats then te point by hitting the button if there's no reaction when i don't?

The most jarring animation for me at the moment is the holstering of weapons. The smaller weapons just vanish out of his hand, and the larger weapons teleport on to 47's back.

I'd like to see him put the smaller stuff away in his jacket, which I realise is awkward in the tutorial because he isn't wearing one. Although the older animation still disguised it better, even when you were wearing the more wacky outfits, since the camera was usually at his back and he moved the weapon in front of his chest before it vanished. It would be nice to at least have him reach for the weapons on his back.

Ive played beta once more time and make an asumption, that the walk animation can be different somehow. It seems that it depends on three things.

The 1st is the Size of Frame!. I think the best size was 2-3 medium shot (like in absolution) than the overall plan.

The 2nd was the Type of Disguise!. One type of disguise (like sweater or something dark) is giving the sense of nearly normal walk animation, and the other type (like Sailor or something bright with folds in clothing) was giving sense of "sandwiched in motion", not very real or smth like this.

And the 3rd was the speed of animation. At the lower speed 47 is walking much better (as i think), than on the full.

I hope this post will help somehow. Thanks for the beta.
    Last edited by Pike001; 15th Feb 2016 at 14:09. Reason: Correction

The rag dolls of the dead bodies are a little too "bouncy". They bounce and flex all the way to where you drop/hide them. A real body is pretty much a dead weight.

When 47 is leaning against a wall right next to a door, the interaction button allows to open the door and look inside the room. However, after the «*closing door*» script, if 47 detaches himself from the wall by pressing the cover button, the door slams on his nose. It would be cool to grant a delay of 2-3 seconds before closing the door, in order to smooth the action of entering a room safely.
    Maybe a canceling of the automatic door closing would be more realistic. Also, if the code allows it, 47 should be able to lean behind an opened door or look through the keyhole.

Weapons should be concrete objects that cannot disappear: when 47 disposes of an armed NPC, he lets go of his weapon but if he happens to carry the same weapon model in his inventory and picks the enemy’s one, that one is disappearing and 47 only gets the bullets for that weapon. If 47 already has a G22 on him, the G22 that he picks up could be used or carried on the left hand (as Hitman 2 allowed, in order to use a pistol on the right hand). Since enemies remark abandoned weapons, concrete weapons would add randomness to the gameplay.

When 47 picks up an object from the left side with his right hand, even if his right arm is perfectly aligned with the object’s position, he tends to grab something behind him. This is recurrent when an object is picked up in a walking pace.

If the weapon holster on the back of 47 (and on enemies’ back) is a recurrent mechanic through the game run, the holster/unholster animation should be rendered. It adds realism and it grants 47 some time to react if an enemy turns hostile in front of him. I assume that rendering the gun holstering properly would imply to model a true physical holster that 47 can equip or hide somewhere.

Enemies should be able to see 47 in a certain perspective; for example: 47 is crouch-leaning behind a counter, but an enemy is standing on the other side of the counter, facing 47. I think that the enemies’ field of view is canceled under a certain height, in this case everything under the counter is invisible to enemies as long as there is an obstacle between 47 and them. I guess it would imply to entirely review the field of view mechanic, which is probably difficult in such delays.

It's not entirely about animation I know, but I guess it could be fixed before/during game's launch. Regardless, most ambitious game of the series so far! Keep up the great work, the clear side in episodic release is that you will update and patch for more than a year so we'll be able to see the game getting better over the months!

Dear Developer, I know animation not what your team is best at, but we are way pass PS1 and computing power is way better now than 10+ years ago, so time to evolve the game. The animation is too stiff, have agent 47 make some subtle movements when being idle standing. In real life you can never stand straight without moving a finger. Having the ability to lean on a wall with a cup of coffee is more realistic than just stand straight like a robot. Also NPC needs more interactions and personality other than just stand talking. Opening doors or material interaction needs proper animation. Facial expression needs to worked on, Lip sync needs a lot of work. Grand Theft Auto had more fluid animation. Please take cue from Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Witcher 3 and Last of Us, if you guys wants to compete then polish the game. Don't give us another overly hyped game with bad mechanics like Ubisoft's "Watch Dog"

After playing the beta a lot more I'd like to add that the lack of varied kill animations like in Blood Money is a big minus, just like others have said, and the lack of any sort of special kill animations for people who are sitting in chairs (or even the ability to strangle them from behind at all???) is super annoying.

The disguise animation is too fast!!!, make it longer (maybe 3-4 second more) and add it with combination blood money's disguise animation

The garroting animation is too fast!!!, the target/people can't die with 2 second strangle (it need longer animation) just make HITMAN look alike blood money in every aspect.

this game is about detail

sorry for the bad grammar.
    Last edited by beta47; 17th Feb 2016 at 09:47.

As many people said:

The biggest thing I've found so far is how you hide bodies. It's not very fluid and just cuts straight to him dumping the body in the dumpster or whatever it is. Sometimes it's so fast the body actually clips through 47 before readjusting.

Maybe you can make move the camera to the Box and not just Cut the animation. This would be more fluid.

One of my biggest issues with the overall gameplay is some of the animations, especially kill animations.

The kill animation for the Fiber wire is way too fast, I would really like it if we could get the garrote animations from the older Hitman games back, as you would have to put more thought into what weapon to use.

For example, if you are in a hurry, you may be forced to use a blunt or sharp melee weapon to kill someone, but it would leave blood on the ground and be louder and more likely to alert gaurds. But if we use the fibre wire, it would take more time but it would be completely silent and not leave a trace.

As many others have said the animations feel stiff. Once again I feel this would improve by returning to older Hitman games style. In older games, 47 would put his weapon back in his coat. In the beta, the weapon just disappears from his hands. It's a small detail but it breaks immersion.

I love the shooting in the back animation but I would like more effects from the 2 shots, such as blood splatter from the back or front of the body.

Overall I really hope that the kill animations are more fluid and improved, as they play such a big role in the game. I would like the blood effects to be increased and improved, and the smoke effects from bodies to be reduced.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast