Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [DISCUSSION] In-game menu and HUD

Post [DISCUSSION] In-game menu and HUD

Tell us all your thoughts and feedback about the menus, HUD, inventory, mini-map etc.

Be sure to check the in-game settings as you can customise many of the features and effects to your liking.

With the default settings, everything is wonderfully crisp and clean. I like the layout and the design quite a lot, and the white and red colour scheme is fitting, but not overwhelming. I'm really digging the text fonts used, especially the design for the subtitles. They're clean and subtle, but prominent enough to be read; fortunately, they aren't distracting whatsoever. I was hoping for a bit of Silent Assassin's inventory, where you can read about the weapons you have in your inventory, with a hint of Blood Money, so you can see how the weapon or item looks. However, I am a really huge fan of this minimalist theme involved in the menus, HUD and inventory; it's different and certainly appealing nevertheless.

(click image to enlarge)

I like the design, but some text in some cases are difficult to read.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNoctiz View Post
    I like the design, but some text in some cases are difficult to read.
    Really? Where?
    I don't think I noticed any discrepancies.

(click image to enlarge)

I absolutely love the new UI. Crisp, minimalist, beautiful.

However, I wish I could open the menu and be brought straight to the map screen first, as that's the one i'm always using every 30 seconds. Also, I often didn't notice when I achieved a feat that I wasn't purposely aiming for because the name of the feat doesn't stand out from other status updates in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Really? Where?
    I don't think I noticed any discrepancies.
    On the first mission, can't quite remember if it was during the freeform or the guided training, but a window poped up explaining something and the text was small, not that I couldn't read it, but I think it was way too small.

I tried to turn off all HUD elements but the primary objective doesn't seem to go away. I changed the objectives settings to Always Off but it's still there. I hope I can turn off every HUD element in the game.

I've seen multiple times across the internet that 47's inventory no longer has infinite space to conceal/hold items. Which I think is a good idea but there is nothing in-game to tell you how full your inventory currently is.

new UI is excellent, love the clean aesthetic of the text and placement of info across the game screen.

Clean, crisp, looking good. I'd like to be able to completely turn off the objective on-screen + any recent action / crime / etc. committed (top-right corner).

I have no problem with the layout, but some of the smaller fonts are a bit too small, IMO. I'm using a 42inch HDTV and have pretty good eyesight, but still find it tricky to make out some things (such as Loading %, Labels on the Controller Diagram, PSN Name, etc.). The text on dialog popups, such as loading confirmations is the worst - I can barely read it!

The main menu options themselves and in-game HUD are fine, but can we please get these other elements just 1 or 2 points bigger, please!

Please make the text (for subtitles and in-game pop ups and hints) bigger. I have to literally get up off my couch and get 3 feet from my 47 inch tv just to read whats on the screen. Honestly thats my biggest complaint besides the minor audio/video glitches. Overall, well done developers. Cant wait for the full game

Is there a way to equip a weapon/item from the inventory without getting it out straight away (so that you can just press up later on to get it out? Would be a handy feature, if not. If this already exists then it would be helpful to point this out in the training somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Simt33 View Post
    Is there a way to equip a weapon/item from the inventory without getting it out straight away (so that you can just press up later on to get it out? Would be a handy feature, if not. If this already exists then it would be helpful to point this out in the training somewhere...
    Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjasonjayman View Post
    Please make the text (for subtitles and in-game pop ups and hints) bigger. I have to literally get up off my couch and get 3 feet from my 47 inch tv just to read whats on the screen. Honestly thats my biggest complaint besides the minor audio/video glitches. Overall, well done developers. Cant wait for the full game
    Glad it's not just me! The confirmation messages & briefing text on the level menu are especially hard, because the contrast of grey on grey isn't fantastic, but just a slightly bigger font should be enough to make them legible.

A lot of people have mentioned the lockpicking mechanism. What happened to the radial menu that I saw in the alpha footage (half circle crowbar, half circle lockpick)? I thought that looked great. Also not sure I appreciate the opening of the inventory screen generally - selecting items and weapons. Couldn't we just cycle through an icon in one of the corners?

I am new to the Hitman franchise, and have been playing the beta for a while now. Overall, I am very impressed. I do have a suggestion though regarding the in-game menu.
    There are many features in the in-game settings menu, and I don't know what most of them do. I like a challenge when I play, and I am not sure which ones to keep on or turn off. My suggestion would be to add a brief description for each option so the player knows what 'Opportunities' and 'Fast Target' means, just as an example. Thank you.

First of all, thanks so much to IO for making so much of the HUD elements togglable. The game works really well with just Instinct turned on - it makes the mini-map and even full-sized map redundant. Overall I think the remaining HUD elements I have left on (attention, NPC dots, button prompts, Instinct) look really nice and unintrusive. I particularly like the subtle 'interaction' indicators on things like door handles and fire alarms - The Last of Us did that first and it's a lovely way of hinting at what can be used.

But there are some things I don't like:

1. Can't seem to get rid of the Main Objective thing at the top left. Let me turn this off! It's pointless.

2. Still getting some kind of Opportunity or Challenge hint at the top right, even though I have all this stuff set to 'Off'. This needs to be optionally removed as well.

3. When you have a weapon or item 'soft' selected (i.e holstered, but will become unholstered if you press 'up' on the d-pad), you can't tell what it is. The HUD needs to have a state at the bottom right that shows what'll come out when you press the unholster command. At the moment it relies on the player's memory, which is not good.

Talking about the Inventory system, this is the most disappointing thing about the beta for me. Coming from Metal Gear Solid V and, let's face it, most other third-person action games of the last 10 years, having such an intrusive, full-screen, game-pausing inventory of jumbled-up items that must be laboriously tabbed through seems like a massive step back. I know Blood Money had this system, but it was not one of the things that made that game so good!

For me, having to bring the action to the halt to select a gun in what should be a tense moment moment or trying to contain a situation is a real immersion-breaker. There are so many good inventory solutions out there that allow quick selection of items in real-time. Hitman should borrow from something like Watch Dogs, MGSV or, hell, even Hitman: Absolution and give the d-pad over to instant, real-time inventory selection or - even better - assign L1 to holster/unholster (on tap) and Inventory (on hold) and then let the player use the right stick to select items. That way he doesn't even have to take either thumb off the analogue sticks, so can keep walking whilst selecting. Quick, smooth, slick. Just like a hitman should be. As L1 would now do inventory, put run on Left-stick-click (like so many other games) and use the d-pad to shift shoulder view.

I have many of the same gripes as the rest of the posters here. I want to be able to turn off ALL on-screen info. Some of the options (namely Objectives and, it seems, Vital Info) don't work.

Second: this is something I don't see anyone else mentioning. I hope I'm not the only one here! I really hope there are audio sliders in the final release. I want to be able to turn the music down. Like, down down. Off. Personally, I'd rather let the ambient sound and conversations set the tone and atmosphere. And the current soundtrack is no Jesper Kyd.

Having audio sliders would also help fix the problem with the voice audio, in many cases, being too low. Or just not mixed well. If they remain this way, having audio sliders would at least give the player the option to try and fix it (I don't prefer subtitles).

Agreed. Some of the audio levels are a bit poor at present (for example, talking to people at the party, like that security guard, is entirely pointless because you can't hear them at all).

At the very least, every game should have sliders for sound fx and music. I don't tend to like the music off, but do often turn it down a click or 2 for most games, depending on what feels right.

I like everything except the mission select screen. I don't understand why the cutscenes have to be listed separately from the missions, all it does is artificially extend the list and create unnecessary clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNeil View Post
    Glad it's not just me! The confirmation messages & briefing text on the level menu are especially hard, because the contrast of grey on grey isn't fantastic, but just a slightly bigger font should be enough to make them legible.
    Yeah dude. Theres a problem when not only am i wearing glasses but also sitting 6 feet away from my tv and i still have to stand up and get closer just to read what the text says

Long time Hitman fan. The Hitman franchise created like my favorite video games ever (and that's saying a lot) I'm 32 years old.The only Platinum trophy I have on the PSN is ABSOLUTION. Now let me say that the HUD is Absolutely ridiculous. One of the best features of Absolution is that you can turn the HUD Completely off. Purist mode is a must IMO.It makes it more realistic and less videogamey. Having the HUD off makes it more cinematic and helps you fall in to the game more. I will go Absolutely crazy if there is not an option to turn the HUD off in the full game. Now, after the HUD issue my second biggest complaint is the weapon an item selection screen. You should be able to switch weapons or items in the game without freezing the game and going to a second screen to select your weapon or items. There is NO WAY that can stay like that and I doubt it will. I will say that I love the fact that any NPC character can find you suspicious and not just people in the same uniform or disguise. That makes me a bit excited to see what else is new and more realistic in the full game. I do have a few more issues for this potentially dope game but I will post them else where not in this HUD thread. Peace
    Last edited by Whiterabbitmushrooms; 14th Feb 2016 at 03:22.

The HUD is good, however many of the settings is designed for casual players which is fine.

However someone like me who wants a bare bones experience sort of feels pulled into the casual sphere of things.
    I avoid instincts because it ruins the intense feeling of entering a room not knowing what comes next.
    I want to literally look at my targets photo and go for a search instead of pressing R1 to see his figure in red.

But turning off HUD settings doesn't feel rewarding if it's by personal choice.
    I hope to god there's difficulty settings in the final game instead of "challenges".

- Needs better briefing interface functionality and intel options – Targets habits, strengths/weaknesses which can be used as clues to discover the different assassination techniques involved within the level instead of displaying them all within the Challenge section which hurts replay value in my opinion.
    - Enable kit preparation for each contract allowing selection for On-Site Procurement locations and have concealment options using multiple sized holsters on body, or in suitcase/items such as a Long Stemmed flower box, providing variety for how 47 handles, and acquires his tools for the job.
    - Option to remove ALL on screen button prompts and interface windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast