Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Launcher Phase 2: Conquering the Desktop

Launcher Phase 2: Conquering the Desktop

  1. #1

    Launcher Phase 2: Conquering the Desktop


    (click image to enlarge)

    With phase 1 of the Nosgoth Launcher release coming to a close (we have a couple of bug fixes to release soon), phase two of the release is closing in quickly.

    The launcher development team at Square Enix London(our gamedev teams in the United States & Canada continue to work on the game) has been working to get the following ready for a February release.

    Bringing Players Together
    One of the more challenging aspects of developing the desktop client for Nosgoth was always going to be ensuring that Steam and desktop players can play together without issue. We also wanted to make sure that any progress you made on the Steam version of the game would be transferred over to the desktop client, and that there would be zero penalty for moving between the two platforms.

    Your account & class leveling, your item unlocks and gold earned through the game, your win/loss stats, matchmaking ranking and anything else that you can think of that’s tied to your account, was previously identified via your Steam account. In order to allow you to access all of that when playing on the desktop client, we needed a way to call up that account information. With your Steam account no longer an option (it can’t be used with the desktop client), we needed to introduce a new account system to tie all of your account progress to. This is why a Square Enix Membership (SEM) account is required to play the game. We tie all of your game progress to those accounts.

    Utilising the SEM account also ensures that you can matchmake against people using both platforms, that there’s no issue chatting between the two, and that you can party-up across platforms as well!

    • Desktop Client:
      Will allow you to download and play Nosgoth without Steam.

    • Smaller Downloads:
      As the desktop client uses its own updating system, we’ll be able to push out smaller updates (in terms of file size) to the desktop client. Note: This does not apply to the Steam version of the game which will continue to use Steam's updating system.

    • Username & Avatars:
      Both Steam and desktop players will use a new Avatar and Username system.

      You will be able to choose an avatar from a selection of Nosgoth and Square Enix related images, through the client.

      Initially, display names will be unique; meaning it won’t be possible for two people to have the same display name. You will however be able to change your display name at eu.square-enix.com/ . We are investigating the possibility of removing the requirement for display names to be unique at the moment.

    • Friends:
      We have built a new friends system backend to allow players on the desktop and Steam clients to interact with each other.

      With the move to the new system, anyone on your Steam friends list, who has a linked SEM account, will automatically be imported into your new Nosgoth friends list.
      When adding brand new friends, you will use the launcher.

    • Languages:
      In addition to English, German and French; the desktop client will support Russian, Spanish and Portuguese (although these new languages are not currently supported in-game). This will allow us to communicate news & information about the game to more players than was previously the case.

    • Billing:
      A minor detail, but when purchasing Runestones using the desktop client, an overlay will bring you through a web based purchasing process.


    The launcher team in London has been putting quite a bit of work in this system. Given that we're not too far away from releasing the desktop launcher, we wanted to give you a bit of an update and let you know what to expect once that happens.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    without Steam

  3. #3
    Why not italian? Why you hate Italy?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    163
    Ohohoh, looking good. Can't wait to try this out.

    Looks like 2016 will be the ultimate update year for Nosgoth.
    signature image
    The descent had destroyed me... and yet I lived.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,719
    Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    [*]Username & Avatars:

    Initially, display names will be unique; meaning it won’t be possible for two people to have the same display name. You will however be able to change your display name at eu.square-enix.com/ . We are investigating the possibility of removing the requirement for display names to be unique at the moment.
    Please can I check something, with the name thing, will your name be what is displayed on SE forum e.g. if you change it through eu.square-enix.com/ will it change it on other SE services?

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by senjuj


    Originally Posted by Zarxiel93
    Why not italian? Why you hate Italy?
    We don't hate Italy...we love pizza & pasta :P.

    Seriously though, it's just about scope and bandwidth at the moment; we're bringing more language support onboard as and when we're able to.

    Originally Posted by Captain3009
    Ohohoh, looking good. Can't wait to try this out.

    Looks like 2016 will be the ultimate update year for Nosgoth.
    Things are looking pretty good indeed .

    Originally Posted by lucinvampire
    Please can I check something, with the name thing, will your name be what is displayed on SE forum e.g. if you change it through eu.square-enix.com/ will it change it on other SE services?
    Theoretically yes, although I have heard some people mention that their name doesn't always update on the forum; but that's another matter. Updating your name via https://eu.square-enix.com/en/profile/edit/basic will update your name in the launcher and in-game.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Oghamsmith



    We don't hate Italy...we love pizza & pasta :P.
    This mean in future you will try to add italian? This is great

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Zarxiel93
    This mean in future you will try to add italian? This is great
    There's a BIG maybe around that. There are plenty of languages around the globe to try and cover :/.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

  9. #9
    I know it's something trivial but can you please make a add friend option i mean without steam system because to add a someone in steam you should have bought atleast a game that cost 5dollar and for some players (like me^^ ) that created a steam account just to play nosgoth ..... you know its just somthing ridiculous to buy a game to get a add friend option and then use it in other game like nosgtoh (and btw i am not the only one who is not familiar with using the steam in nosgoth ^^) so yeah i wish if you can make your own adding friend system in the game and ofcourse i will be very thankful to that (sorry for my bad english )

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by tarek2547
    I know it's something trivial but can you please make a add friend option i mean without steam system because to add a someone in steam you should have bought atleast a game that cost 5dollar and for some players (like me^^ ) that created a steam account just to play nosgoth ..... you know its just somthing ridiculous to buy a game to get a add friend option and then use it in other game like nosgtoh (and btw i am not the only one who is not familiar with using the steam in nosgoth ^^) so yeah i wish if you can make your own adding friend system in the game and ofcourse i will be very thankful to that (sorry for my bad english )
    We mention this in the original post, but hopefully this clears things up:
    Using the Nosgoth Launcher, you'll be able to add friends without making a Steam purchase (as you'll be using a different friend system). We cannot bypass Valve's requirements for Steam games but by having a non-Steam version (aka the desktop launcher), we're able to make our own rules.

    As long as you use the new launcher and your friends have on Steam have a Square-Enix account, you'll be good to go to add friends that play either the Steam or desktop version of Nosgoth.
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

  11. #11
    oh sorry i didnt notice that you mention it before , thank you soo much and ofcourse they have a square enix account

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by tarek2547
    oh sorry i didnt notice that you mention it before , thank you soo much
    No worries! Glad to clear that up for you

    and ofcourse they have a square enix account
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

  13. #13
    i still dont get why ppl hate steam so much... in my point of view this whole launcher thing is unnecessary and unneedingly resourceconsuming...
    the launcher only fixates the idea that there will never be a trading system. friendslist, avatars, heck even square enix account link was there before, in steam. The launcher makes things so much more complicated. For example i always have steam open on my pc, cause its my main source of games and stuff, with the launcher i have to do 3+ extra steps before i can play(starting launcher, logging in in launcher, closing/minimizing launcher, etc.). Also if Nosgoth gets completly anti steam, how am i supposed to check how good/experienced my opponents/teammates are before a match? i cant look up their hours spent in the game anymore then...
    and i didnt even mention the problems a lot of players have with the launcher, it being buggy or not working at all.
    so pls remind me why exactly nosgoth needs its own launcher?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    750
    So, does that mean ESL will need to use the SE Account to verify players in the near future?
    How will that transition go?

  15. #15
    Oghamsmith,

    Is it right that after the final launcher realease steam players will be able to launch the game directly without the middle layer of the Sq Enix launcher since we'd be finished with the testing?

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by Nurgor
    i still dont get why ppl hate steam so much... in my point of view this whole launcher thing is unnecessary and unneedingly resourceconsuming...
    the launcher only fixates the idea that there will never be a trading system. friendslist, avatars, heck even square enix account link was there before, in steam. The launcher makes things so much more complicated. For example i always have steam open on my pc, cause its my main source of games and stuff, with the launcher i have to do 3+ extra steps before i can play(starting launcher, logging in in launcher, closing/minimizing launcher, etc.). Also if Nosgoth gets completly anti steam, how am i supposed to check how good/experienced my opponents/teammates are before a match? i cant look up their hours spent in the game anymore then...
    and i didnt even mention the problems a lot of players have with the launcher, it being buggy or not working at all.
    so pls remind me why exactly nosgoth needs its own launcher?
    If it was unnecessary, I really doubt they would go through all the trouble of making one, like Ryan said before it's about not having to follow Valve's rules and what not.
    I don't see how any of those features you list will require Steam to be the backend, any database can hold and link usernames and avatars and so on.
    This launcher is still in its early stages, I'm pretty sure it will reach a state where you can just click a Nosgoth shortcut on the desktop which will then launch the launcher, which will log you in automatically and start the game.
    Your last complaint is exactly the thing that you should ask yourself if Psyonix ever wanted you to be able to check such things as player information, which is the very reason a launcher is needed I think.

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by tarek2547
    I know it's something trivial but can you please make a add friend option i mean without steam system because to add a someone in steam you should have bought atleast a game that cost 5dollar and for some players (like me^^ ) that created a steam account just to play nosgoth ..... you know its just somthing ridiculous to buy a game to get a add friend option and then use it in other game like nosgtoh (and btw i am not the only one who is not familiar with using the steam in nosgoth ^^) so yeah i wish if you can make your own adding friend system in the game and ofcourse i will be very thankful to that (sorry for my bad english )
    Exactly, It's weird that noone else brought this up. Steam making social functions behind paywall is a major issue. It's good to hear that it's being sorted out!

    Originally Posted by Psyonix_Ryan
    Using the Nosgoth Launcher, you'll be able to add friends without making a Steam purchase (as you'll be using a different friend system).
    I hope this feature gets in by this month.

  18. #18
    Little question for the italian translate, if I make it (totally for free), you can add it? (I mean the text, not the dub of corse)

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by Zarxiel93
    Little question for the italian translate, if I make it (totally for free), you can add it? (I mean the text, not the dub of corse)
    Thank you for the offer. It's very kind. We're not in a position proceed with such an offer at this moment in time. Hopefully we can look at getting Italian localisation in place later down the line.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    Thank you for the offer. It's very kind. We're not in a position proceed with such an offer at this moment in time. Hopefully we can look at getting Italian localisation in place later down the line.
    Understand, well, I wanted help because I pratically grow up with Legacy of Kain, and is still my favourite game series (alog with Kingdom Hearts) (my nick Zarxiel is the anagram of Raziel with a X :P). So i Really hope in future to see it

  21. #21
    So it's been 3 weeks since you posted this thread. Any ETA on when it will be implemented?

    Can't wait to play a team game where i can actually pick my team.

    Also is it necessary to redownload the whole game when we actually switch to the standalone version?
    Last edited by DeadlyMak; 19th Feb 2016 at 15:25.

  22. #22
    no automatic friendslist copy from steam so far, pls do that fast

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1
    That is all nice, that you are making this for people who don't want steam.
    But as I use steam daily, i'd love if i'd have my steam friends list in nosgoth as before and also that I could have my steam name and avatar instead of the square enix one as everyone in nosgoth knows my by those. I really would like to put my own picture instead of choose one from those provided. (I know I can change the name, but my name is shorter than 6 characters in steam).

    Thanks!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    750
    Originally Posted by Lukksepp
    That is all nice, that you are making this for people who don't want steam.
    But as I use steam daily, i'd love if i'd have my steam friends list in nosgoth as before and also that I could have my steam name and avatar instead of the square enix one as everyone in nosgoth knows my by those. I really would like to put my own picture instead of choose one from those provided. (I know I can change the name, but my name is shorter than 6 characters in steam).

    That we all want, I'm sure..
    what I want the most, however, is FOR IT TO WORK! -.-

    Thanks!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    581
    I just want to play the game. But instead I get this:
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=187095

    (click image to enlarge)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last