Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Nosgoth State of Play: January 2016

Nosgoth State of Play: January 2016

Post Nosgoth State of Play: January 2016

Welcome to the Nosgoth State of Play, your chance to see behind the curtain and learn about the future of Nosgoth. We’ve got several items on the agenda, but before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s take a look back at what 2016 has brought thus far.

Earlier in the month, we posted an early Nosgoth State of Play, outlining some imminent features. Among the top entries were concept art from the Silenced Cathedral map and a teaser for the next playable class for Nosgoth. Not long after, we took a closer look at the Silenced Cathedral to explain the design choices as well as the importance of the location in the Legacy of Kain universe. To bring a more chaotic twist to the month, we introduced a new (and temporary) 5v5 team deathmatch mode almost exclusively to see what would happen. Lastly, Square-Enix and Psyonix hosted a joint community live stream to answer your questions as well as battle it out with you in-game.

Now, without further ado, here is what we have planned for the Nosgoth community.

ONGOING - New character class
    For the past few months, the team at Psyonix has been hard at work on the latest character class for Nosgoth. As alluded to early this month, the humans will be gaining a new ally in their battle for survival in the form of the Beastmaster.

Bloody-handed mystics who serve as vengeful instruments of the natural order, the Scourge have sworn to cleanse Nosgoth of the blight of Vampire-kind no matter what the cost. Beastmasters are ruthless fighters who use powerful firearms and primal magic to purge their foes, but are best known for their supernatural ability to temporarily take on the form of a bird of prey and take to the air to continue the hunt.

Development on the Beastmaster is nearly complete, so expect to see it in the wild very soon. We’ll have more on this new class, including an in-depth lore post, in the coming weeks.

ONGOING - Daily Rewards Update
    Since its implementation, the Daily Reward system has been confusing for some and underwhelming for others. While it did act as an incentive for players to boot up Nosgoth every day for a greater chance at better rewards, we felt that it didn’t bring enough to the table. That is about to change.

We will be replacing the Daily Reward wheel with a new Challenge system that requires more of your time but also yields greater prizes than before. By completing in-game tasks, players will earn one of three unlocked chests that can contain large sums of gold, better boosters, skins, and Runestones (yes, that other currency).

The Daily Challenge system will be implemented in the coming weeks. We’ll have more on the new reward system shortly.

ONGOING - Dedicated Launcher
    In December 2015, we announced one of our pet projects; a dedicated Nosgoth launcher. We’re pleased to report that work continues to move forward and we’re setting our sights on February 2016 for its full release.

Use of this standalone launcher is by no means mandatory; players are free to use Steam as their client of choice. Rather, the Nosgoth Launcher is simply an alternative for players that may not have access to Steam or, for whatever reason, do not use the service. One of the early benefits of our launcher will be smaller game updates, something we’ve seen more than a few comments on in the past.

Early integration of the Nosgoth Launcher has had its share of bugs and we’ve been working diligently to resolve what few are left in the next round of updates. If you need any troubleshoot advice, head on over to the Nosgoth forums so we can help you out.

ONGOING - Sonic Boom
    The latest Sentinel ability, Sonic Boom, is due to arrive in the next game update. Anyone who completed Beta Season 4.0 of Nosgoth Leagues in Blood tier or higher will have a special VFX version of the ability added to their inventory. The “vanilla” version of Sonic Boom will be available in the in-game store (or for free for Definitive Pack owners).

Here’s a quick glimpse at the ability (not in its final state):

As we’ve mentioned in earlier posts, Sonic Boom is an aerial attack that allows players to knock down enemies in their path. Much like the Tyrant’s Charge ability, players have some control over the Sentinel’s movement and is best used against a large group of enemies.

ONGOING - Community Feedback
    As always, we want to hear from you in the community about Nosgoth’s development. In case you missed it, there is a poll that may impact the fate of the next season of Leagues; will it change to 5v5 or is 4v4 here to stay? Sound off on this, and many other topics, in the forums. Also, be sure to keep an eye out on our Twitter and Facebook channels to stay up-to-date with the latest community topics, announcements, and more.

--
    And that'll do it -- another installment of the Nosgoth State of Play has come to an end. What did you think of this month's edition? Do you have specific questions about our schedule? Want to make additional suggestions? Then let us know!
    Last edited by Oghamsmith; 29th Jan 2016 at 13:15. Reason: Formatting issue
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

yea, human can fly (fist swing to sentinel). is it rifle or shotgun? (real pellets?). whats difference from prophet?

So the beastmaster is some kind of a shaman, I really like the idea
    signature image

What if the Beastmaster can get other transformations down the line? abilities that mimic other vampires?

-transform into a Bear and charge like a tyrant in a short burst

-transform into a cougar and pounce like a reaver.

it'd be interesting to see a class than can use some of the vampires own attack types against them

Originally Posted by senjuj
    yea, human can fly (fist swing to sentinel). is it rifle or shotgun? (real pellets?). whats difference from prophet?
    We'll be talking about it more, but the Beastmaster fires a shotgun with a wide spread for the most part. Prophet has more distance in terms of weapons but the abilities will differ greatly.
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

6. When I was discussing the new human class with a friend he jokinly said that the humans needed a class that can fly for the game to be fair. Awesome.

Will the Beastmaster be able to fly around like a Sentinel or will he just fly to certain designated spots kind of like the way the Scout uses his grappling hook? Because if it's the latter, it will be pretty disappointing.

I love the design of the Beastmaster, but I'm not a fan of the shotgun (just not a fan of guns in the game in general; I didn't care for the Prophet's pistols either). The art team has done a fantastic job yet again and this is pretty close to what I imagined when the silhouette was released. I'm really excited to be able to turn into a bird, and I hope he gets more abilities to change into other beasts as well (a werewolf ability would be amazing).

If he's changing into animals though, then Beastmaster doesn't seem like the best name, unless he has pets that he can command. If his abilities are more focused on him changing himself, then maybe something like Skinchanger or Shifter would be more appropriate. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I just forever associate the word Beastmaster with the crappy 80's movie. That being said, if they left him as the Beastmaster, I'd still be okay with it.

Again, fantastic job by the art team. I can't wait to see his alternates.

Wait a moment, this mean I will NOT gain the skins of Daily anymore? I played ALL days since the Daily was released and i STILL don't win the Turelim skin, this mean soon I cannot gain it? NO PLEASE!! I really want that skin

He does have a Native American feel to him doesn't he? The furs, the feathers and whatnot. Maybe Skinwalker would be a more fitting name.

Originally Posted by Gugulug5000
    If he's changing into animals though, then Beastmaster doesn't seem like the best name, unless he has pets that he can command. If his abilities are more focused on him changing himself, then maybe something like Skinchanger or Shifter would be more appropriate.
    +1 on that one. Skinchanger or Shapeshifter/Shifter sounds good.

But Beastmaster? What are playing - some kind of Warcraft game? (not even mentioning all of the other games that borrowed that exact word, its just way overused) If overused universal archetype words are ok then let it be 'Druid', at least it he doesnt necessarily have to be a master of some beasts loadout every time, right?

Originally Posted by Farnbeak
    +1 on that one. Skinchanger or Shapeshifter/Shifter sounds good.

But Beastmaster? What are playing - some kind of Warcraft game? (not even mentioning all of the other games that borrowed that exact word, its just way overused) If overused universal archetype words are ok then let it be 'Druid', at least it he doesnt necessarily have to be a master of some beasts loadout every time, right?
    Druid makes sense since these guys probably follow Bane the Druid from BO1.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

I predicted that it would be a Beastmaster, but I imagined a pet class... not a shapeshifting druid/shaman.
    Sounds interesting at the very least, too early to tell if its gonna be good or... another Vanguard
    I think this Challange system will also have a positive effect on both player retention, player numbers and subsequently: MATCHMAKING. More people will try to complete their challanges, which will (hopefully) lead to higher concurrent players.

Originally Posted by The_Dapper_Sapper
    He does have a Native American feel to him doesn't he? The furs, the feathers and whatnot. Maybe Skinwalker would be a more fitting name.
    Yeah Skinwalker was the other one I was thinking of, but I didn't think many people would realize what that was. Glad to see I was wrong. It would be a great name for the class too. Whether or not Beastmaster is appropriate or not kind of all comes down to what other skills he gets, and we only know a little about him, but if he focuses more on changing his physical form then Beastmaster doesn't seem very appropriate.

i am pretty sure that , long ago, someone on SE forum or in the Steam discussions had proposed the Beastmaster as new class , with also the hawk transformation ... I really appreciate that you team follow the ideas and opinions of the community, even when you are looking for new classes ... so much love for SE team!

I was a bit apprehensive about the idea of a second gun class fitting in with the technology of the era, since the Prophet's pistols already needed quite a bit of explaining. I love the character design though. It's not at all what I expected from silhouette and it's great to see some love for Bane, the Nature Guardian. The Elite skin just has to have an antler head-dress in his honor!
    http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/az/bane.php
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 29th Jan 2016 at 10:44.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Ryan
    We'll be talking about it more, but the Beastmaster fires a shotgun with a wide spread for the most part. Prophet has more distance in terms of weapons but the abilities will differ greatly.
    Things become more and more asymmetrical
    Last edited by Dron1508; 29th Jan 2016 at 10:34.

Morning all!

It's great to see such a positive response to yesterday's State of Play .

Originally Posted by enkaku-silence-
    When I was discussing the new human class with a friend he jokinly said that the humans needed a class that can fly for the game to be fair. Awesome.
    Nice!

Originally Posted by The_Dapper_Sapper
    Will the Beastmaster be able to fly around like a Sentinel or will he just fly to certain designated spots kind of like the way the Scout uses his grappling hook? Because if it's the latter, it will be pretty disappointing.
    The Beastmaster can fly around freely much like the Sentinel. The major difference is that each time he transforms, he can only maintain that form for a limited amount of time, before losing control of it and returning to human form once again. He does not use a grappling hook-like system.

Originally Posted by Zarxiel93
    Wait a moment, this mean I will NOT gain the skins of Daily anymore? I played ALL days since the Daily was released and i STILL don't win the Turelim skin, this mean soon I cannot gain it? NO PLEASE!! I really want that skin
    The Daily Reward skins are part of the rewards available for the Challenges

Originally Posted by Da_Wolv
    I predicted that it would be a Beastmaster, but I imagined a pet class... not a shapeshifting druid/shaman.
    Sounds interesting at the very least, too early to tell if its gonna be good or... another Vanguard
    I don't want to say too much about him, but obviously a Human with the ability to fly, changes up the strategies and tactics that Humans can implement considerably. We're very much interested in seeing how the top players utilise this class.

I love the Daily Challange ideas. Just to clarify: Is the wheel going to be replaced, or is this an addition to the daily system?
    I think this Challange system will also have a positive effect on both player retention, player numbers and subsequently: MATCHMAKING. More people will try to complete their challanges, which will (hopefully) lead to higher concurrent players.
    This system replaces the wheel. We think it's going to be better overall as well. One thing that I do want to expand upon slightly, is that each challenge grants you points once completed. Once you've got enough points, you unlock one of these new chests (that do not require a key to open). So, it might take you between 2 and 3 days to earn the chest, but the content of that chest is more valuable than the typical content you would earn over the course of 2 or 3 days with the current Daily Reward system.

Having read a lot of feedback from you guys on Daily Rewards, it was clear that many of you would prefer fewer, but better, rewards; over more frequent, but lower value, winnings.

Sonic Boom looks... fine?! I guess?!
    Can't imagine this will replace Abduct in the meta, just by looking at the video and reading the previous descriptions, but I guess we'll know soon enough.
    At the high level you may be right, as the Sentinel already has extremely viable options for that slot. That will be interesting to find out. In public play this may be a pretty good engagement tool for teams.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Not to say "i told u so" but i totally called this back in the day when Prophet came out)
    I made a post asking 'can we look forward to the next human class having an AK 47?"
    Guess shotgun is the next best thing))

I definitely think Druid (as in Bane) would make a better name for the class. It's less cheesy sounding than Beastmaster and would allow for some cool nature themed secondary abilities like parting the clouds for beams of sunlight as an AoE or summoning vines that impale the vampires or summoning water (could be as rain or fountains) like Bane does when you fight him in Blood Omen. If it's strictly animal themed though, how about summoning a load of rats to attack the vampires could work.

I'm not sure what's sonic about Sonic Boom, so maybe that should be renamed. Also, as was mentioned (and the point completely missed) with Echolocation, sound themed abilities are treading a bit far into certain giant-eared super-hearing vampire's domain.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 29th Jan 2016 at 11:23.

The new character design looks cool really like the Shamanic/Triber look to him! For a moment there I thought the weapon was going to be a blow dart gun, so was a little disappointed to see its a gun variant. I’m really hoping they have a good spread of shots though like the Alchemist, and some cool nature AOE powers…plus being a bird and hopefully pecking the eyes out of a flying Sentinel would be fun! The name reminds me of the old TV show at least your class wears more clothes!

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    or summoning water (could be as rain or fountains) like Bane does when you fight him in Blood Omen.
    I always looks like Banes peeing on the floor

The beastmaster looks great and can fly ! thats awesome.
    The new daily challenge system is a fresh replacement for the wheel i think,
    and will stimulate people to play more often.

I never had much problems with the launcher and it seems like a fast way to
    check the forums and reply to posts without having to login.
    Allthough when you logout you have to close and restart the launcher to keep that functionality.
    And Sonic Boom is a great new ability for bowling over some humans.
    Thanks!

Originally Posted by LegacyOfKayn
    Not to say "i told u so" but i totally called this back in the day when Prophet came out)
    I made a post asking 'can we look forward to the next human class having an AK 47?"
    Guess shotgun is the next best thing))
    Uhm, shotgun and AK47 are totally different things...

Btw, how will transformed Beastmaster fight the Sentinel when they meet in the air? Especially when the Sentinel will have the new ability equipped?

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    Uhm, shotgun and AK47 are totally different things...

Btw, how will transformed Beastmaster fight the Sentinel when they meet in the air? Especially when the Sentinel will have the new ability equipped?
    Yes u are absolutely right,because having a shotgun in an era where humans use bows and throw axes makes so much more sense than an AK47)
    But even though i hate the ideea of another gun in nosgoth,i have to admit,the class sounds very fun to play

Originally Posted by LegacyOfKayn
    Yes u are absolutely right,because having a shotgun in an era where humans use bows and throw axes makes so much more sense than an AK47)
    But even though i hate the ideea of another gun in nosgoth,i have to admit,the class sounds very fun to play
    That was not the point - it was that the comparison you made, which was off. Besides, humans of this era are capable of constructing industrial machinery, flamethrowers, etc., so fire arms should be within their technological capabilities (we are no longer in the old days of the Sarafan anymore).

Page 1 of 2 12 Last