Thread: Why not 3D ?

Why not 3D ?

Hi,

I have a 3D TV, which is pretty nice to play some (too rare) cool games built in 3D.
    Would the dev team think about building a 3D version of the next episode of Tomb Raider?
    Or even release a patch to ROTTR to be able to play on 3D TV?

This would be a great improvement in my view, given the fact that we all agree on the beauty of the scenes.

Regards,
    Jonathan.

I'm sorry to reply in such a way, but I dread the day video games, and indeed video entertainment in general becomes presented mainly in 3D. I have monoscopic vision and can only effectively see out of one eye, so any 3D effects are lost on me, and in many cases, completely ruin the viewing experience. In many modern 3D movies, the glasses only allow me to see it normally.

Once video games and such switch to this format, customers like me who don't have stereoscopic or near-perfect vision will be sidelined. Given the emphasis on 3D/Virtual gaming headsets, I found last month's issue of Game Informer to be personally quite disturbing, as it serves as a harbinger of this.

I agree that it would be a technological improvement for sure, but given my inability to appreciate the beauty of the scenes I'd have to disagree on your stated "fact that we all agree."

I wouldn't want Tomb Raider to be in 3D, or any game for that matter. I absolutely loathe 3D entertainment; gives me a massive migraine. If they want to add 3D functionality, go right ahead, just please, don't make it mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucacentric28 View Post
    I agree that it would be a technological improvement for sure, but given my inability to appreciate the beauty of the scenes I'd have to disagree on your stated "fact that we all agree."

Agreed. Please, don't speak for everyone.

(click image to enlarge)

Guys, when I said "we all agree on the beauty of the scenes", I was talking about the current existing "2D" ROTTR landscapes, mountains, etc., not any 3D feature.
    However, I agree, I should not have spoken for everyone.

Obviously, this kind of 3D feature would have to be optional, which is the case in existing games proposing this feature, of course (e.g. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3).