Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Liana K's "A Closer Look At Lara Croft"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    U.S.G. Ishimura
    Posts
    2,955

    Liana K's "A Closer Look At Lara Croft"

    First off lemme say I've no idea whatsoever if this has been found and posted in the spoiler thread for 'Rise', I've never been there once so I wouldn't know. If it has, then I do apologize for starting a thread after it already exists. Secondly, Liana K is a feminist of sorts, which I'm aware is a topic that some of us here take a great interest in, but I'd also like to add she's nowhere near as bad (IMO) as an Anita Sarkesian, and actually calls out Anita's BS quite frequently in her vids. But she is also a "professional" gaming journalist who also frequently says things most others don't seem to have the guts to.

    So here's a vid of hers I came across earlier today discussing the character of re-boot Lara, particularly her 'Rise' interpretation, and I found it interesting. I have not played 'Rise', so I personally can't say how off or on the mark she is with her observation and/or opinion, but regardless I found it interesting and thought it would be cool to share and get perspectives from people who actually have played the game. There's one thing I can agree with her on, tho, and it's her stance on re-boot Lara and pre-boot Lara, and how much both care for being "liked" by the general public.

    She does warn of spoilers in the footage, but I didn't watch the actual footage (I minimized the window as soon as I heard her say that and just listened to the audio) so I can't say 100% if it's anything that hasn't been shown in previews or not, so I'd go ahead and assume there are for those of us that haven't played it. The risk always lives, after all.



    EDIT: Liana's official review of 'Rise'...

    http://metaleater.com/video-games/re...-raider-review
    Last edited by WinterSoldierLTE; 25th Dec 2015 at 00:34. Reason: added a bit more context, aded link to her review.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,770
    She turns a personal aim to vindicate her fathers legacy, someone who Lara deeply cares about into "daddy issues"? So we are not allowed to tell stories like that any more? If it was a male character would it be called "daddy issues" I wonder?

    I just feel this is another example of someone looking for things to fit their own negative agenda rather than be a constructive assessment. She talks about it like its meant to be a university thesis when its meant to be an entertaining video game story. I feel that no matter how Lara is portrayed or what scenario she is found in someone like this will ALWAYS find something to criticise. If the story was to her liking, but took place in and around tropical islands and undersea ruins she would complain about her wearing a swimsuit. There will always be something for these people to pick on.

    She rates it very low as a game, going against the general tide of gaming reviews. She doesn't even know when you have beaten a tomb? Oh please! Its totally obvious when you beat a tomb! She's rating it by her definition of feminist political correctness, not as a video game.
    signature image

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    U.S.G. Ishimura
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    She turns a personal aim to vindicate her fathers legacy, someone who Lara deeply cares about into "daddy issues"? So we are not allowed to tell stories like that any more? If it was a male character would it be called "daddy issues" I wonder?
    Well, people gave 'LAU' Lara crap because of wanting to find her Mother...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    I just feel this is another example of someone looking for things to fit their own negative agenda rather than be a constructive assessment. She talks about it like its meant to be a university thesis when its meant to be an entertaining video game story. I feel that no matter how Lara is portrayed or what scenario she is found in someone like this will ALWAYS find something to criticise. If the story was to her liking, but took place in and around tropical islands and undersea ruins she would complain about her wearing a swimsuit. There will always be something for these people to pick on.
    I think she makes a couple of valid points about new Lara. The comparison between "old" Lara and re-boot and how one comes off as and is presented as wanting to be liked and the other just never gave a toss about that seems pretty solid. I can see it, at least. I can't speak for 'Rise' Lara, obviously, but re-boot 'TR2013' Lara was constructed in a way that made her very empathetic in spots so that even the most jaded non-TR fan would get behind her and say "Hell yeah! GO, girl!" when she toughened up. And it worked. "Old" Lara didn't care. She had a much more "Like it or lump it" presentation, attitude, and overall vibe about her. As Liana said, "Old" Lara was all about getting the shiny, and that's, for the most part, what I personally think worked.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    She rates it very low as a game, going against the general tide of gaming reviews. She doesn't even know when you have beaten a tomb? Oh please! Its totally obvious when you beat a tomb! She's rating it by her definition of feminist political correctness, not as a video game.
    I don't know if she pushed any feminist agenda in her review or not, I've not read it. Honestly I didn't even pick up a feminist agenda vibe from this vid, other than the "She should be wearing a coat" bit, but Hell there's some of us on here that've said that. Verisimilitude and all that jazz. For all I know her issues with the game were gameplay related, and she did state in the vid she found the optional tombs to be the best part of it, so I'm guessing she just didn't dig the overall package. But again, I've not read the review, so I don't know what # ranking she gave it, and she has stated multiple times she hates having to rank games with the number system.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    She turns a personal aim to vindicate her fathers legacy, someone who Lara deeply cares about into "daddy issues"? So we are not allowed to tell stories like that any more? If it was a male character would it be called "daddy issues" I wonder?
    With Lara's aims in exploring I think Core did it best with Lara doing this because she wants to. Look at both different CD timelines and it always has to be about Lara under the shadows of her parents. I am doing this because I want to is so much more powerful than I have a duty to do this. TR 2013 tried to do this with 'I want to make my mark' as an way to emulate 'I only play for sport' but their constant want to put more layers on actually ends up detracting.

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    I think she makes a couple of valid points about new Lara. The comparison between "old" Lara and re-boot and how one comes off as and is presented as wanting to be liked and the other just never gave a toss about that seems pretty solid. I can see it, at least. I can't speak for 'Rise' Lara, obviously, but re-boot 'TR2013' Lara was constructed in a way that made her very empathetic in spots so that even the most jaded non-TR fan would get behind her and say "Hell yeah! GO, girl!" when she toughened up. And it worked. "Old" Lara didn't care. She had a much more "Like it or lump it" presentation, attitude, and overall vibe about her. As Liana said, "Old" Lara was all about getting the shiny, and that's, for the most part, what I personally think worked.
    I know a lot of people think 'you go girl!' towards new Lara rather than classic Lara but I would for the reverse. The younger classic Lara is incredibly strong willed and determined in her chronicles adventure. She stands up to Von Croy while in a similar situation with Reyes she practically shrivels. That idea of 'I don't care if other people think bad of me because I am doing it for me' attitude that classic Lara has is so empowering. Look at her confidence with the Japan dress. Reboot Lara dresses to fit in with those around her but classic Lara dresses to express herself despite others views. Overall what I am saying is classic Lara presents a better 'be yourself' message than reboot Lara.
    signature image

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In a bubble outside the universe
    Posts
    5,137
    So if I like new Lara, which I do, it's because either I haven't played the older games so have nothing to compare to or I like her as she's 'unthreatening'? Hmm, no, it's neither of those things for me. I'll go into more detail on my thoughts tomorrow at a more awake friendly time . For now though, what I got out of this analysis wasn't much really beyond, newLara isn't oldLara, therefore isn't as good and she wants to be liked and isn't in it (yet) just for the shinies. I disagree with much of this rather shallow 'analysis'.
    What I will say is, people tend to forget that NewLara is still new and she's newly discovering this side of her and a love for adventuring, so she isn't at OldLara's level yet, and that's fair enough, Imo.

    *saves spot for more details later.

  6. #6
    She is so annoying. In most of her videos she nags about simple, petty stuff.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    So if I like new Lara, which I do, it's because either I haven't played the older games so have nothing to compare to or I like her as she's 'unthreatening'? Hmm, no, it's neither of those things for me. I'll go into more detail on my thoughts tomorrow at a more awake friendly time . For now though, what I got out of this analysis wasn't much really beyond, newLara isn't oldLara, therefore isn't as good and she wants to be liked and isn't in it (yet) just for the shinies. I disagree with much of this rather shallow 'analysis'.
    What I will say is, people tend to forget that NewLara is still new and she's newly discovering this side of her and a love for adventuring, so she isn't at OldLara's level yet, and that's fair enough, Imo.

    *saves spot for more details later.
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
    She is so annoying. In most of her videos she nags about simple, petty stuff.
    Agree with both of you!
    signature image

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom, West Midlands
    Posts
    1,821
    "Women either like this Lara because they haven't played the previous games or because this Lara is none threatening"

    huh?

    I've played the classics, and I like this ORIGIN BEFORE THE ORIGINALS Lara because she's likeable, shows weakness where necessary and isn't literally a murderer for no reason. She's becoming wittier, and she made me laugh a few times in Rise and she's also incredibly smart too.

    That comment totally rubbed me the wrong way as a woman who has played previous games, and sees Lara as a total bad ass even in the reboots

  9. #9

    Smile

    Thanks for the video, its an interesting look at the character and her lack of evolution. As the video reviewer says many of us as gamers are unhappy that the game is not about tomb raiding at all. Tombs are only side quests like their some kind of joke and the character reboot lara has no interest in them which is sad since she used to be a tomb raider. Hope someday we can get games about her raiding tombs with an adventurous feel and not a whole team of people with her.

    Part of the characters appeal was her ability to take on the world and even herself. The reboot games leave reboot lara reduced to having a team implying she cant act on her own. To many of us these prequel games are like playing as a handcuffed lara croft, were not allowed to use duel guns, were not allowed to make tombs the priority of the game because the game isnt about tombs.

    Bridgarant....
    Annoying part of the review is when she brings up the Betchel or whatever test, its just a game.... She seems to talk like a feminist which is selfish since it disregards anyones feelings but her own political agenda. While most of the review was mindless rambling a drunk homeless person might spew amidst that vomit were some good points. She is also not a real reviewer, she reviews based off her emotion she says giving it a "low score" because it made her sad. She should seriously be blackballed from getting pre screened copies. This video linked only has 1500 views, people like this literally try to make a living by creating victims issues out of nothing. She drones on about the character being tortured playing the victim card, its stupid and useless thats the game, noone is making her play it. Hope she never plays mortal kombat if she is that revulsive to action gameplay in games.

    This is NOT a game review, she is NOT a game reviewer, she spends more time talking about her emotions than any of the actual technical points of the game from the graphics to the processing to the number of elements on screen or literally anything, she talked about none of the gameplay elements at all. If she is calling herself a reviewer than it is an insult to the professionalism of real game reviewers who go over the benchmarks and technical aspects of the game from its gameplay to the mechanics of the world itself which is not commented on in the video at all, anywhere.... FAIL.
    /Bridgarant

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    U.S.G. Ishimura
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgetkfisher View Post
    This is NOT a game review, she is NOT a game reviewer, she spends more time talking about her emotions than any of the actual technical points of the game from the graphics to the processing to the number of elements on screen or literally anything, she talked about none of the gameplay elements at all. If she is calling herself a reviewer than it is an insult to the professionalism of real game reviewers who go over the benchmarks and technical aspects of the game from its gameplay to the mechanics of the world itself which is not commented on in the video at all, anywhere.... FAIL.
    /Bridgarant
    Nah, this isn't her review, this is just her thoughts and perspectives on Lara as a character as portrayed in 'TR2013' & 'Rise'. I dunno where her actual review is at, tbh, and I've not read it. From what I gather she's a freelancer of sorts that does reviews for Polygon and whatnot, so I've no idea which publication or site it would be in/on, I haven't looked. This is from her personal YouTube channel where she talks about whatever she wants to, tho most of it is in a similar vein from what I've seen so far.

    EDIT: Here's her actual review, will update OP...

    http://metaleater.com/video-games/re...-raider-review
    Last edited by WinterSoldierLTE; 25th Dec 2015 at 00:33.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •