Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: New Map Preview : The Nest

New Map Preview : The Nest

New Map Preview : The Nest

In what were to be the dying days of the last flourishing of their civilisation before Kain established his divine empire seemingly for good, a plan of staggering ambition was hatched by the finest architects and artisans that Humankind had to offer. Realising that outright warfare against the Vampires was costing them too dearly, and could perhaps only ever end in defeat, the greatest thinkers conceived of another way to battle the threat. A weapon of unprecedented size and power that would require a building the size of a towering, spiralling cathedral to house it. While this cathedral itself was built atop a sheer mountain cliff top, the critical axillary structures and supporting areas came to be carved out of the cliffs and valleys for miles around. Now, fallen and infested, one such of these places is known as the Nest.
    We’ve already shown you a few sneaky screenshots of Nosgoth’s next map, tentatively named “The Nest” (although you may see another one of the considerations during the loading screen . In just under 24 hours, we will be going live with Swiftor on www.twitch.tv/swiftor to let each and every one of you see what the map currently looks as both Humans and Vampires traversing the field of combat.

It’s important to remember that this is very much a preview of an unfinished version of the map, there is the potential for some elements to change, and there's still quite a bit of performance optimisation to be done.

Tomorrow (Wednesday the 9th of December) to www.twitch.tv/swiftor at 7pm GMT/ 11:30 PST where Swiftor will be playing Nosgoth for just over an hour, and taking a look at the new map.

Swiftor may well have some goodies to give away, and we’ll be in chat answering your questions. Save the date! Be sure to swing by and let him know that you’re coming to check out the new map .

We can't wait to see what you think of the new map...and while it's not ready to be put into every player's hands just yet (we still have more work to do on it), we hope that this stream will provide you with a good idea of what to expect. Please, feel free to pour all of your thoughts, opinions and feedback in this thread.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    Tomorrow (Wednesday the 9th of December) to www.twitch.tv/swiftor at 7pm GMT/ 11:30 PST where Swiftor will be playing Nosgoth for just over an hour, and taking a look at the new map.
    Haha. Guess I'm staying up all night. I'm cool with that, though.

The artwork looks incredible. Love the art of the guy being tortured. One of my favourite parts about Nosgoth is all the bloodied corpses scattered around the environments.
    signature image

WOW!!! O.o this is the 3rd most impressive map I've ever seen D:

the structure at the top from the cathedrals block puzzles,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VobNPUzoSIE

the holes on the natural landscape that give it that hive look.

and I especially like the green fire! very soul reavery if that's even a word :P

Really looking forward to this reveal, especially its the best soul reaver related additional content we've had thus far. I do have some concerns I wanna raise

1) - as Vampire maps going to be the name ('the' something). We've had THE fane and THE crucible and now THE nest (yes I know working title). Just don't wanna get stuck in that trend.

2) - green fire seems a little hyldenish. But if its like Ignus Fatuus from the swamps around Vorador's home that'd be ok

3) Will we be getting Silenced cathedral inspired music and not just reusing the Fanes theme again?

We need more bug fixing

Not everything green is hylden and not every artist on the map is a programmer that could fix bugs.

Map looks awesome! Really creepy and loving the torture devices.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Loving the torture stuff.

And yeah, there does seem to be a "The [Blank]" trend going on...
    Very BO2-ish, and it always seemed kinda lazy and half-attempted there.
    Not to accuse the devs here of that but it just ties into that same vibe by association.

And it kinda kills a bit of the anticipation. Instead of wondering what the new map might be called, I'm just wondering "What word will they put in front of 'the' next?"

The fire is interesting. Eyokir says it's Hylden-ish but it actually looks to be, color-wise, somewhere between "Hylden green"and the ignis fatuus. If you guys could reference the ignis fatuus in the map's eventual lore post, that'd be pretty cool.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 9th Dec 2015 at 05:00.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    Loving the torture stuff.

And yeah, there does seem to be a "The [Blank]" trend going on...
    Very BO2-ish, and it always seemed very lazy and half-attempted there.
    Not to accuse the devs here of that but it just ties into that same vibe by association.

The fire is interesting. Eyokir says it's Hylden-ish but it actually looks to be, color-wise, somewhere between "Hylden green"and the ignis fatuus. If you guys could reference the ignis fatuus in the map's eventual lore post, that'd be pretty cool.
    TBH, I think it's silly to jump to the conclusion that every occurence of one colour in the entire series is connected to a single character or group. I mean how many times do we see the colour green in a day? It's quite a lot. If it really must be one or the other, I'd prefer the Ignis Fatuus over the Hylden. I mean we can't have the Hylden being everywhere otherwise Kain and Raziel would already have known everything in SR1.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    TBH, I think it's silly to jump to the conclusion that every occurence of one colour in the entire series is connected to a single character or group. I mean how many times do we see the colour green in a day? It's quite a lot. If it really must be one or the other, I'd prefer the Ignis Fatuus over the Hylden. I mean we can't have the Hylden being everywhere otherwise Kain and Raziel would already have known everything in SR1.
    Agreed I've seen green fire in real life. I bought my then boyfriend a trick lighter that had a green flame because I thought it looked cool although yes I also usually associate green in the LOK universe with the Hylden.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Oh, it certainly doesn't have to be either. It'd just be neat if it were ignis fatuus. Might get a little background on the nature of those lights. (Though the wiki notes that, at least around Vorador's place, they were extinguished in the post-BO era.)

Whatever, it looks really cool.

/SCREEEEEEEEEEEEE!/

I'll definitely be watching this tomorrow!

Wow, that first screenshot looks amazing! The second one looks great too but I just can't stop admiring the top one. I'm getting really excited for this map. Well done art team, well done.

My thoughts on some of the other points in this thread:

1) "The ____" trend for vampire maps: This doesn't bother me either way, but I don't think that it needs to be adhered to when trying to come up with a name for the vampire maps. If the name has the word "The" in the front, that's fine as long as it sounds good. I'm honestly not all that fond of the name "The Nest" though.

2) Exclusive music: yes please. That was one of the biggest disappointments with the Crucible. Both maps need their own music that hearken back to the Soul Reaver clan themes (like how the Fane's music took inspiration from Ozar Midrashim).

3) Green fire: I don't think this necessarily needs to be linked to the hylden or the ignis fatuus. I'd actually say no to linking it to the hylden, but if they wanted to somehow link it to the ignis fatuus, I'd be okay with that. Of course the explanation could just end up being "well it's just green fire" and I'd be okay with that.

I really wish that the stream was during a time where I could watch it. Someone record it and share please!

EDIT: Also, I haven't seen any of Clan Zephonim's banners/clan symbols anywhere in the previews (maybe I'm just overlooking them), but having a few of those around would be nice as well.

Map looks rly nice *_* cant wait to watch the stream^^

Can we get some high resolution Screenshots tho ?
    Maybe even high res concept art ?

Just for my Nosgoth Wallpaper Collection
    signature image

Originally Posted by Gugulug5000
    2) Exclusive music: yes please. That was one of the biggest disappointments with the Crucible. Both maps need their own music that hearken back to the Soul Reaver clan themes (like how the Fane's music took inspiration from Ozar Midrashim).
    Is the Crucible STILL lacking its own music? Oi...Yes, absolutely, this will need its own tunes. Something eerie to set a mood as off-putting as the Zephonim. >:3

I hadn't noticed the Zephon statue. Nice touch. (I've always assumed it was representative of Zephon, anyway...)

"In what were to be the dying days of the last flourishing of their civilisation..." - This reads kind of overly-long and awkward. I'd cut it down to 'dying days of their civilization' but eh.

Is this the same map we saw a preview of in the state of play post? It looks a lot different

Here's to hoping there are two new maps

EDIT:

Nevermind, now that I looked at it again, I can see the similarities

Looking great, this map has me excited for sure!

I love the look of this map, very creepy; but I am also not fond of adding "The" to every vampire map. I know you said it is a working title, so are you open to suggestions if a thread was started?

Originally Posted by xSanBro
    Pretty cool, to see that moving forward! Already have some questions about the map layout and how that is supposed to be human/vampire balanced.
    But anyway, so most pressing question I have is:
    Why is Swiftor streaming this preview? Isn't he some Call of Duty comedian? What does he have to do with Nosgoth? Does he even know how to play or is this gonna be an unbearable sight to watch again (campare dev streams). Or am I getting that wrong and his channel is just hosting the event?
    If this is an attempt to advertise Nosgoth I am all for it, but yeah, I can't see how Swiftor is the best choice there.

I mean this is a good way to reach a huge audience and make Nosgoth more known. But no one (I think his viewers are mostly CoD fanboys = people you wanna reach?) is gonna play a game that is shown played by somebody who has no clue about it and who (I bet) will be inclined to making fun of it to amuse his viewers. Good luck with that.
    Let's wait and see.
    Yeah I also found the choice of venue a bit of a confusing eyebrow raiser. I don't know who made this call but it seem a decision made out of the misguided need to appeal to a demographic who would never be interested long term in Nosgoth as they already have the thing that gives them their jollies. I've said before that Nosgoth ought to create its own audience and then pander to them exclusively. It'd be a smaller niche audience but far more loyal and willing to spend long term cash.

I'm kind of split on the Swiftor thing. On one hand, I really wanted to hear from the developers on what they've been up to (Rahabim! Come on, the just enough hinting to keep us from giving up hope getting ridiculous now!) and their inspirations in designing the map. On the other hand, Nosgoth is getting desperate for new players from looking at the steam charts lately. I also hate to generalise that all COD players in his audience are dumb kids who throw tantrums all the time. Who knows, maybe some would even be interested in LOK and the Lore.

I disagree about intentionally going for a small audience. I don't mean pander to the lowest common denominator, but you know, advertise to everyone and see who decides to take a look.

Advertising to as wide an audience as possible is one thing - trying to make a game based on reflecting the needs of that wide audience is another. I just don't want to see this attitude be reflected in the development of the game itself - because all we'd end up with is a Vampires vs marines game with a playerbase of really winey, self entitled aggressive and downright rude players who laugh at the idea of 'lore' of any kind (yes I've seen them do this myself. Seriously we DON'T need or want these people anywhere near the lok franchise)

Why is Swiftor streaming this preview? Isn't he some Call of Duty comedian? What does he have to do with Nosgoth? Does he even know how to play or is this gonna be an unbearable sight to watch again (campare dev streams). Or am I getting that wrong and his channel is just hosting the event?
    If this is an attempt to advertise Nosgoth I am all for it, but yeah, I can't see how Swiftor is the best choice there.
    I´m asking myself exactly the same questions. There are plenty of good Nosgoth streamers out there already, why choose Swiftor over them, especially after his very poor performance last time, is beyond me... (I never heard of him before).

Why not ask Angry Joe to do it? He's streamed Nosgoth before and I'd sort of trust his audience to be far more discriminating, appropriate and appreciative

Good point on Angry Joe, his Nosgoth video was actually quite entertaining and he seemed to enjoy the game quite a lot.

Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    Advertising to as wide an audience as possible is one thing - trying to make a game based on reflecting the needs of that wide audience is another. I just don't want to see this attitude be reflected in the development of the game itself - because all we'd end up with is a Vampires vs marines game with a playerbase of really winey, self entitled aggressive and downright rude players who laugh at the idea of 'lore' of any kind (yes I've seen them do this myself. Seriously we DON'T need or want these people anywhere near the lok franchise)
    I just mean I'm opposed to the generalisation of entire groups just as much as I'm opposed to pandering to dumb individuals.

Why Swiftor again? He did a terrible job when the Summoner came out and it was very clear he did not play the game before.

Jebus, guys, there ARE NO popular streamers who play Nosgoth.

Swiftor may not be a Nosgoth pro, but he tried to make the game look fun; I'm sure there were people checking it out afterwards. I don't personally care, just want to see the map.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last