Thread: Soul Reaver Stream - Anyone Interested?

Soul Reaver Stream - Anyone Interested?

Soul Reaver Stream - Anyone Interested?

Howdy everyone,

So, now that I'm starting to get a bit of a handle on Nosgoth (I'm ok, certainly not Eternal standard yet but improving nicely), I want to begin to get a better understanding for the LoK lore.

So, I plan to play through Soul Reaver over the next couple of months (hopefully playing through it quicker than that, but a man has to find time to do other things as well :P). I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in swinging by an unofficial stream if I were to run one, chatting about the game and maybe giving me and each other your insights and opinions about various elements of the lore? The stream would likely happen around 11am Sunday mornings for an hour or two. That's really the only free slot I have available at the moment I'm afraid.

I'll do it if a few of you are interested...otherwise I'll do it stream-free, where I'll have no worry about swearing with wild abandon when I die :P.

P.S. There will be much swearing even if I do stream....I don't take dying to bots very well :P.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

actually you cant die in soul reaver
    signature image

That'd be great to see. For many of us that was the one that got under our skins and into our very souls. Guarantee the opening cutscene will have you hooked and you'll be flipping tables at the conclusion.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

I'll do it if a few of you are interested...otherwise I'll do it stream-free, where I'll have no worry about swearing with wild abandon when I die :P.
    As my agent, you are beyond death, Oghamsmith. Your enemies cannot destroy you. If you grow too weak however, you will always be drawn here to recover.

I'd recommend finding time to play through, or at the very least (due to its rarity) watch a play through of Blood Omen 1 first.

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    As my agent, you are beyond death, Oghamsmith. Your enemies cannot destroy you. If you grow too weak however, you will always be drawn here to recover.
    Hahaha nice.

But yeah, i'd love the stream

i did not play through blood omen 1 until a few years after soul reaver myself. i found blood omen in a second hand store in Stockholm in 2002. i have never seen that game in a gaming store before or since. i have only completed that game once as it insist on bugging out on me every time i try. the second playtrough i got stuck after killing William the just, and the last time was a few weeks ago in malek`s bastion on my ps vita >_<
    signature image

Sure, why not? Always good to see SR1 again. Besides, if you stream it, then we can monitor your progress

I would absolutely recommend playing the series in order (so, BO > SR > SR2 > Defiance > BO2) with the caveat that you avoid the Playstation version of BO like a death plague. The PC version is available via Abandonia (may be illegal - I'm not a lawyer - but nobody's enforcing laws on abandonware anyway).

I find little patience for watching live streams myself. I prefer Let's Plays. But it's a way to go that would interest others, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 3rd Dec 2015 at 04:31.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    . The PC version is available via Abandonia (may be illegal - I'm not a lawyer - but nobody's enforcing laws on abandonware anyway).
    Yes - to clarify it is illegal I'm afraid. Abandonia only has a demo version of Blood Omen, but the general concept of 'abandonware' is kind of flawed anyway given that no software of the videogame age is old enough to be out of copyright. There are still rights issues (that have been prevalent enough to prevent digital distribution of Blood Omen). Heartbreaking though it is to have BO1 unavailable, it is still illegal so anyone using these methods will have to do so at their own risk.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

@Oghamsmith, you might want to make sure you can get it working before the stream. There's a few different unofficial patches that are required to get it working which some people have had trouble with. You might have to choose between distorted aspect ratio, misaligned wraith blade and PS1 version depending on which you're able to live with.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Awesomesauce!

I've already started playing SR, but for the purposes of the stream; I'll start from the beginning as I'd love to see your thoughts for all portions of the game . I'll kick things off this Sunday at 11am GMT. If you're interested & able, feel free to swing by www.twitch.tv/Oghamsmith .

Originally Posted by Bazielim
    That'd be great to see. For many of us that was the one that got under our skins and into our very souls. Guarantee the opening cutscene will have you hooked and you'll be flipping tables at the conclusion.
    Indeed, I've seen the intro cutscene many times, and even today, it's still pretty damn awesome.

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    :P

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    I'd recommend finding time to play through, or at the very least (due to its rarity) watch a play through of Blood Omen 1 first.
    I'll try to watch Blood Omen when I can, but given that I'm able to play through Soul Reaver now, that's what I'm going to roll with first.

Originally Posted by Hashakgik888
    Sure, why not? Always good to see SR1 again. Besides, if you stream it, then we can monitor your progress
    Uhh ohh...what have I got myself in for?!?!?

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    I would absolutely recommend playing the series in order (so, BO > SR > SR2 > Defiance > BO2) with the caveat that you avoid the Playstation version of BO like a death plague. The PC version is available via Abandonia (may be illegal - I'm not a lawyer - but nobody's enforcing laws on abandonware anyway).
    Would love to, but as you've said, getting a playable(legal) version of BO is tricky business....so I'll do the next best thing and roll with SR.

I find little patience for watching live streams myself. I prefer Let's Plays. But it's a way to go that would interest others, I'm sure.
    Completely understandable. This is just going to be a relaxed gathering to discuss LoK (Soul Reaver in particular), rather than a high-energy Lets Play/Stream (it'll be too damn early in the morning :P).

Did you read the manual with the controls? I once tried to explain about the look around mode, but got told off because the person considered that a spoiler. It's not. It just means you can see where you're supposed to go and spot secrets sometimes.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Did you read the manual with the controls? I once tried to explain about the look around mode, but got told off because the person considered that a spoiler. It's not. It just means you can see where you're supposed to go and spot secrets sometimes.
    I didn't, but I've been toying around with Pinnacle Game Profiler and came across the look controls that way...certainly a handy feature that I wasn't aware of when first playing through the game.

Folks, I'm afraid I'm having issues actually getting the game capture up and running. OBS simply can't capture the footage from Soul Reaver. I'm googling my butt off to try and find any potential fixes, but I've come up empty so far. If anyone has found a workaround for this in the past, please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll try it out for sure.

I'm running the Steam variant of the game by the way, that seems to make a considerable difference.

Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    I didn't, but I've been toying around with Pinnacle Game Profiler and came across the look controls that way...certainly a handy feature that I wasn't aware of when first playing through the game.

Folks, I'm afraid I'm having issues actually getting the game capture up and running. OBS simply can't capture the footage from Soul Reaver. I'm googling my butt off to try and find any potential fixes, but I've come up empty so far. If anyone has found a workaround for this in the past, please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll try it out for sure.

I'm running the Steam variant of the game by the way, that seems to make a considerable difference.
    Someone on steam said they captured it through the desktop. I've not used much recording software myself, but I think that means OBS will ask which window to record from and the desktop is one of the options. Does that sound like it could be what you need?

EDIT: I can send you some of Wrace's patches for widescreen and gamepad if you like, however they don't have instructions and they have that rendering glitch I was telling you about.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 6th Dec 2015 at 00:11.

Yeah, use "Monitor Capture," not Game Capture, and it should work. I don't have the Steam version, though. Game Capture does not capture the screen for me, so I think that's the issue. Unless you've tried this and it doesn't work.

Thanks for chipping in Vampmaster & The_Hylden, I did see that a couple of people had success with window/monitor capture. However that doesn't reliably work with OBS, DX7 and Windows 10 unfortunately. At least not the Steam implementation.

I've had minor success with feeding Dxtory into OBS, but OBS locks up almost immediately after. I'll continue to investigate this and see if I can find a solution, but for the time being folks, I'm afraid I'm going to have to call off Sunday's stream. Sorry about that everyone. I was really looking forward to the stream.

Soul Reaver 2's implementation of DX7 is much more compatible with Dxtory and OBS than SR1's. I've been able to get SR2 streaming easily. If it comes down to it, I will at least be able to stream that whenever I actually complete SR1.

I'll put some more time into trying to figure out getting SR1 streaming up and running tomorrow.

Anyway, we'll postpone the stream for the time being; and hopefully get something up and streaming sooner rather than later .

Yeah, use "Monitor Capture," not Game Capture, and it should work. I don't have the Steam version, though. Game Capture does not capture the screen for me, so I think that's the issue. Unless you've tried this and it doesn't work.
    AFAIK, the steam and GOG versions are the ones with Wrace's patches (along with certain bits of code from my trainers that I never gave permission to use).

I'm also using Wrace's patches.

Shame. There has to be something that will do the job. So many uncertainties on what could possibly not work on Windows 10, which is why I haven't upgraded. I went down that road before with Windows...

I'm also using Wrace's patches.

Shame. There has to be something that will do the job. So many uncertainties on what could possibly not work on Windows 10, which is why I haven't upgraded. I went down that road before with Windows...
    I'm also using Windows 10, BTW.

Oh, I didn't see this thread until now, but if it works out I'll try to drop by.

Well, the good news is that I've made a good bit progress through Soul Reaver, so a Soul Reaver 2 stream is that much closer. I've just activated the 3rd pipe in the Silenced Cathedral.

Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    Well, the good news is that I've made a good bit progress through Soul Reaver, so a Soul Reaver 2 stream is that much closer. I've just activated the 3rd pipe in the Silenced Cathedral.
    I take it you gave up on the Soul Reaver 1 stream? If you're in the cathedral you should remember to

I'm afraid I had to call it quits with the SR1 stream, yes. The tech simply seems to be conspiring against us. As I mentioned before, SR2 works well with the streaming software, so my goal now is to fly through SR1 so that we can get to streaming SR2 asap.

EDIT: Oh...and I'm not going to look at the spoiler. Don't want anything ruined .