Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the file for the language in Soul Reaver 2 ?

Smile Where is the file for the language in Soul Reaver 2 ?

Hello

I wanted to convert my GOG version of Soul Reaver 2 in French with files that are on my original CD, but I can find a specific file for the language.

I just searched in the file "bigfile.dat" with SoulSpiral and I found a directory called "pcenglish" :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...nglish-gog.png

But on my french CD, there isn't a directory called "pcfrench" for example :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...riginal-cd.png

(on the image SoulSpiral shows informations about "pcenglish" on the right, but it's because it kept the english "bigfile" in memory after I loaded the french version, but there is nothing with a "pcenglish" directory)

Do you know how to put Soul Reaver 2 in French please ?

Thanks for your help

The advantage of the GOG version is that I can have widescreen with this patch : http://ps2wide.net/pc.html

I tried on my retail version (v 1.02) but the game crashes

So if can't put the GOG version in French, I must choose between GOG version for the widescreen and my retail version in French but without widescreen.

Somebody woud have a solution to put the game in French please ?

Thanks
    Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 30th Nov 2015 at 22:49.

I extracted files from the "bigfile.dat" with SoulSpiral.

And as you can see, it's not the same for the French version (left) and the English version (right) :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...le-english.png

But we can see equivalent sizes. If it was the same names and extensions, I would just have to replace the english files by the french files and recreate the "bigfile.dat"

Somebody has a idea and could help me please ?

Thanks !

I extracted audio from the 2 bigfile English and French with ProjectX too.

And I get 546 Ogg files. But impossible to know from what files at the origine. But it's the same number and I would say the same order too.

Somebody please ?

The file for the language in Soul Reaver 2 is locals.bin (with some unusual format) in bigfile.dat (you can extract it by Soul Spiral).
    To create your own localization, your need:
    1) correct text (locals.bin);
    2) correct images;
    3) correct sounds;
    4) correct sound in bink-movies;
    5) repack bigfile.dat with the new files.

We did something like for our native language and now I have such utilities for that:
    1) Perl-Script (+ needed dll's) for repacking sound into the format of sound which is used in SR2;
    2) soft for repacking bigfile.dat by files that have another size than original.

Link on them: see my signature, folder SR2, file sr2_scripts.zip.

ReadMe (translated):
    I) header_add.pl: there are 2 modes (choosing by setting 0 or 1 for $mode in header_add.pl):
    0 - into the folder 'in' place ogg-files for which it is needed to add headers and run RunMe.bat;
    1 - into the folder 'in' place wav-files and run RunMe.bat;
    it was created ogg-files with header.
    About wav-files: it should be saved initially (in GoldWave, for example) in the format "wav, PCM signed 16 bit, stereo". Sound is encoded from wav into needed ogg with the help of oggenc.exe v.1.0beta4.

II) Updating files in bigfile.dat: it is used software "BigFile Packer.exe" from 7Wolf; in the folder with it place bigfile.dat, in the folder new place updated files in the format Chunk#### (see correspondence in soul2chunk.txt) and run update.bat, - it was create folder Out with updated bigfile.dat.
    Last edited by wrace0; 23rd Nov 2016 at 14:42. Reason: updating links
    Support of LOK-games is the duty of Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.

Thank you very much for your answer

It seems easy for you, but for me it seems very complicated And as I said, the files in the bigfile.dat are completely differents in the English and the French version. It's not the same extensions (image : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...le-english.png ). I don't know why.

I think I must forget this. Or do you think it's possible even with differents file extensions ? But for the moment I don't know what is what.

I think that it is because Soul Spiral does not recognize these files to do them the appropriate names.
    When I did remake of our native version of bigfile.dat from 1.0 to 1.0.2 version (on gog.com), I just fixed locals.bin, added fixed files from the english version 1.0.2, and replaced sr2.exe by the newest version (hm, for our version it was needed added to the sr2.exe font's fix, but for your version - also with latin as english - it is not needed to do).
    The names of these files:
    1. Default: 602E4DCA.raw, address - A70800; it is the image of the version (1.02).
    2. pcenglish:
    name of file|initial address|length|address of the length for different
    dark4a.drm|2F 682 000|63E80|
    locals.bin|3CD 000|2896|3530
    pillars10a.vrm|2E 980 800|104658
    pillars2b.drm|15 CF9 800|22С700
    stdoorc.drm|10 84F 800|6FE0|81A4
    stnghsta.drm|B E29 000|345CC0
    stnghstd.drm|F E50 000|36B6C0
    3. sr2/game/pc/inpconfigs:
    name of file|initial address|length|address of the length for different
    joyst1.cfg|4E000|0F94|75A4
    keyboard.cfg|4D800|0710|8BB8
    mouse.cfg|4C800|0BE8|77F0

For the folder pcenglish I just replaced only locals.bin & pillars2b.drm.

By using "BigFile Depacker.exe" and "soul2chunk.pl" (I updated zip above) you can create accordance for your version between Soul Spiral's files and chunks, and compare this list with the existing one (for the english version).

Also you can create accordance between the files in both bigfile.dat (by the same way or another).
    Last edited by wrace0; 23rd Nov 2016 at 14:43.

Thanks ! You are really an expert !

I will watch this when I will have more time

Hello

I wanted to try again to change the language of the GOG version on French But I tried "BigFile Depacker.exe" and it doesn't work. I think it will be complicated for me, but I would like to try

Can I have more precisions about how "BigFile Depacker.exe" and "soul2chunk.pl" work please ?

Thanks !

Note : It's bizarre, but I didn't find the "locals.bin" in the "pcenglish" folder.
    Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 21st Nov 2016 at 17:09.

I just uploaded the 2 "bigfile.dat" if someone would like to see the problem

https://mega.nz/#!rp0U1SaZ!hK1LZHdOo...eGR_4QDSeohcUg

Thanks for your help !

Quote Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack
    Can I have more precisions about how "BigFile Depacker.exe" and "soul2chunk.pl" work please ?
    About "BigFile Depacker.exe" - you can create the same code as you can see inside "update.bat", i.e.:
    "BigFile Depacker.exe" bigfile.dat sr2_chunks
    so you need (in the same folder as "BigFile Depacker.exe") the file "bigfile.dat".

About "soul2chunk.pl":
    1) place in the same folder with this file additional files "perl.exe" and "perl510.dll" from the folder "sr2_all\sr2_sound_header\script";
    2) create in the same folder file "RunMe.bat" with the code
    @echo off
    perl.exe soul2chunk.pl
    pause
    3) copy into the same folder the folder "sr2_chunks" (with the files in the format Chunk#### from "BigFile Depacker.exe");
    4) create in the same folder subfolder "sr2_soul_spiral" into which extract the files from "bigfile.dat" by Soul Spiral;
    5) run the script "RunMe.bat" - you obtain the file "soul2chunk.txt".

BTW: and once more time again - I do not support anything related to gog_com, only Steam. This is the last exception. In the future for support to gog-version ask gog_com.

Thanks for your help wrace0 !

But why don't you support anything related to GOG.com ? Isn't it the exact same files between the GOG and Steam version ? Let me guess. They stole your work. Is it for this ? I'm not sure, but now I think I remember that it was you who create the patch no-CD for Soul Reaver 2. Isn't it ? So I understand. Sorry !

But for the "update.bat" file, I just need to replace this :

@echo off
    "BigFile Packer.exe" bigfile.dat New Out
    pause

By this ?

@echo off
    "BigFile Depacker.exe" bigfile.dat New Out
    pause

It doesn't work. I'm not a expert with this.

Edit : It works !

I just tried this by instinct !

@echo off
    "BigFile Depacker.exe" bigfile.dat BIGFILEout
    pause

Chance ! But I don't understand why it works now and not before.
    Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 22nd Nov 2016 at 10:14.

I just need more explanations please !

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0 View Post
    About "soul2chunk.pl":
    1) place in the same folder with this file additional files "perl.exe" and "perl510.dll" from the folder "sr2_all\sr2_sound_header\script";
    2) create in the same folder file "RunMe.bat" with the code
    @echo off
    perl.exe soul2chunk.pl
    pause
    3) copy into the same folder the folder "sr2_chunks" (with the files in the format Chunk#### from "BigFile Depacker.exe");
    4) create in the same folder subfolder "sr2_soul_spiral" into which extract the files from "bigfile.dat" by Soul Spiral;
    5) run the script "RunMe.bat" - you obtain the file "soul2chunk.txt".

BTW: and once more time again - I do not support anything related to gog_com, only Steam. This is the last exception. In the future for support to gog-version ask gog_com.
    I just don't understand the structure of the folders and subfolder.

I tried but id doesn't work. It's written this :

Processing file #0001 : File_Compare.pm... NO SUCH FILE IN CHUNKS!
    Appuyer sur une touche pour continuer...

Undefined subroutine main:compare called at soul2chunk.pl line 64.
    Processing file #0002: RunMe.bat... Appuyer sur une touche pour continuer...

I think it's very simple for you, but not for me Thank you for just help me one more time !

Oops ! I didn't understand that I must put the files extracted by Soul Spiral in the "sr2_soul_spiral" folder

But now, I have another problem

Be nice wrace0 ! Can you help me please ?

I know it's not cool that GOG stole your work, but we are all fans of the LoK games, and if I can convert the English version to the French version, a lot of people would be very happy. Many French people are sad and regret that there is no French language for the Steam and GOG version of Soul Reaver 2 and the others episodes of LoK.

So, it would be for both Steam and GOG version, because the 2 versions are identical I think.

In addition, I would say to everybody that it's you who helped me to do this patch and that it's due to you if we can play theses games on modern computers I will give to Caesar what is Caesar's

Thank you very much !

Edit : It works !

I just tried this by instinct !

@echo off
    "BigFile Depacker.exe" bigfile.dat BIGFILEout
    pause
    I wrote such construction:
    "BigFile Depacker.exe" bigfile.dat sr2_chunks
    (i.e. "exe dat folder", not "exe dat folder folder").

About soul2chunk.pl - I fixed and tested the code. Updated version of archive (renamed to sr2_scripts.zip) you can take from the link in my signature (in the folder SR2, of course). I improved the code in soul2chunk.pl and removed obsolete (now) File_Compare.pm.

So, it would be for both Steam and GOG version, because the 2 versions are identical I think.
    Yes, they are the same. I can say more - they are the same as official version with applied official patches and minor fixes like nocd. It is true for SR2, BO2 and Defiance. For SR1 there is one more difference - additionally applied fan-patch (bink-support) which was available many years and here too (on this forum; solded several years after by gog to SE, yes; though I spent my own money to pay to one programmer for the code regarding to bink (+ additional payment to protect the rights on this product) - yeah, for fans, to have gameplay without bugs on modern OS, - in the amount of $1000 overall).

So: if you buy the Steam-version, gog obtain nothing; if you buy gog-version, gog obtain additional money as trading place for really no efforts by themself.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack View Post
    Let me guess. They stole your work. Is it for this ? I'm not sure, but now I think I remember that it was you who create the patch no-CD for Soul Reaver 2. Isn't it ? So I understand. Sorry !
    In fact, is it this or not ?

Edit : OK. I didn't see you answer. Now it's clear ! I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0 View Post
    Yes, they are the same. I can say more - they are the same as official version with applied official patches and minor fixes like nocd. It is true for SR2, BO2 and Defiance. For SR1 there is one more difference - additionally applied fan-patch (bink-support) which was available many years and here too (on this forum; solded several years after by gog to SE, yes; though I spent my own money to pay to one programmer for the code regarding to bink (+ additional payment to protect the rights on this product) - yeah, for fans, to have gameplay without bugs on modern OS, - in the amount of $1000 overall).

So: if you buy the Steam-version, gog obtain nothing; if you buy gog-version, gog obtain additional money as trading place for really no efforts by themself.
    Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 23rd Nov 2016 at 11:10.

You are the real boss wrace ! Thank you very much !

I will try this

It works ! Halleluia !

Bravo ! Thank you so much !

Now, I must see what files I need

The only problem is that for the English bigfile, I get this in the "soul2chunk.txt" :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the French version I get this :

Last edited by Lord_Aevum; 23rd Nov 2016 at 13:14. Reason: spoiler tagging very long list

Are you sure that you select the proper version of bigfile.dat in Soul Spiral (i.e. Soul Reaver 2 PC) in the case of localized version (i.e. French)?
    I checked today work of Soul Spiral (the latest version) on our localized version of bigfile.dat for SR2 - Soul Spiral correctly recognized the most of files excepting several images (*.raw - which can be viewed by Eye of Raw from The Lost Worlds) and these text files:
    pcenglish\locals.bin
    sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\joyst1.cfg
    sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\keyboard.cfg
    sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\mouse.cfg
    sr2\demo.dat
    sr2\sr2.arg

At least Soul Spiral should correctly recognize unchanded files (such as models, for example).
    For example, for our localization patch we have 644 files for replacement and - without correct identification of them by Soul Spiral - it will be very difficult to understand which is which.

Yes, I understand. It's seams compromised

Because I selected the proper version as you can see here :

But as I said you, the structure of the French bigfile is completely different from the English bigfile :

There is no "pcenglish" folder and the files aren't named. It's exactly the same with the French version of "Legacy Of Kain: Defiance"

The version on your original CD is official one? Because it is strange that the header of your bigfile.dat has another hashes that english one. Anyway you need to try to ask authors of Soul Spiral to add support of your version of SR2 to this program (I have no ideas how they found accordance between hashes and names).

Also there is another way - by using Eye of Raw and GoldWave in the manual mode to view all files to recognize them (because only images and sound files + locals.bin can be localized). But this way is very-very long (due to existing of 2236 files in bigfile.dat).

One more way: extract content of both bigfile.dat by "BigFile Depacker.exe" in the hope that the order of files in the header of both are the same (in such case you obtain something like needed correspondance). But I checked today my version - it has different order of files in the header (for some files, not for all) with comparison to the version of soul2chunk.txt that I obtained many years ago (for english version 1.0 of bigfile.dat), but - as I understand - the order of localized files is not changed.
    At least you can check several raw-files from both versions - if they are same (I mean - the same picture, but one with english text and another - with localized version of it), you can replace english version by localized one without using Soul Spiral anymore.

Yes. It's the original CD. I don't know why in France it's always different...

"L'exception Française", like we said in our country

I already tried to compare the size of the files, but it's too complicated, and it's not sure that it will be always identical. Unfortunately, the files aren't in the same order

But I will try your other solutions. Thank you very much for your help wrace0 !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast