Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the file for the language in Soul Reaver 2 ?

It's bizarre ! Because I just noticed that my "soul2chunk.txt" file is not identical to yours for the English version of Soul Reaver 2. There is no "locals.bin" file as you can see :

Left : my "soul2chunk.txt" file
    Right : your "soul2chunk.txt"

But Soul Spiral didn't extract the file either

We can notice too that the Chunks numbers are different.

For the Steam-version (the same as gog and the same as official 1.0 with applied official patch) of bigfile.dat (with localization) I have also different chunks (not all, just several, as in your case). The list is this:

Soul Spiral is not found several files (because they are modified), but their numbers are not changed:
    pcenglish\locals.bin Chunk0389
    sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\joyst1.cfg Chunk1764
    sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\keyboard.cfg Chunk2235
    sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\mouse.cfg Chunk1813
    But we replace them by these numbers of chunks (for the steam-version of bigfile.dat) and all is ok (I have additional fix for mouse.cfg, for example).
    Also - as I understand - I saw this difference in chunks (for some files) and checked the fact that localized files do not change their numbers for official english version of bigfile.dat from 1.0 to 1.02.
    Full list of these chunks (can be seen in sfx-archive on OneDrive):

Minus Chunk1813 (sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\mouse.cfg - modified file from version 1.02).
    And, of course, you can't replace the file Chunk0389 (pcenglish\locals.bin) by the version 1.0. This file should be modified by hands.
    It has the size 10137 for the english version 1.02 and, for example, 10390 for our native language.
    This is the binary file with the ANSI-text (for example, "format memory card (ps2)") below header.
    Support of LOK-games is the duty of Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.

OK. Thank tyou for your answer

But now, how can I know the correspondence between the chunks from the French bigfile and from the English bigfile ?

I checked now - at least, you can find unchanged files in two versions of bigfile.dat (English and French) by using slightly modified soul2chunk.pl. Updates for the code:
    Line 06: @dirc=sort grep { -f $_ } readdir(DIR);
    Line 25: if ($num == 0){ print "\nChunk$c not found!\n"; } #system "pause"; }
    Line 26: elsif ($num > 1){ print "\nChunk$c found more than 1 time!\n"; } #system "pause"; }
    Line 70: if ($flag == 0){ print "NO SUCH FILE IN CHUNKS!\n"; } #system "pause"; }
    Now copy the content of the folder Default for the French-version (extracted by Soul Spiral) into the folder sr2_chunks\ (i.e. should not be subfolders in this folder, like in the case with chunks) and copy the content of the English-version (extracted by Soul Spiral - i.e. folders Default and so on) into the folder sr2_soul_spiral\.
    After running the script you obtain the new version of the file soul2chunk.txt (you can save previous one with the correspondance between Soul Spiral and chunks) with the correspondance between the same files in both versions of bigfile.dat. And after this only localized files remained (which has 2 formats - either images with the format raw (which can be viewed in Eye of Raw) or sound files with the format ogg (which can be listen in any sound-editor or player; for example, in GoldWave); + locals.bin). I do not think that these two versions have different models and so on (i.e. all other files).

P.S.: I looked localized chunks (sorted them by size) - it seems that 152 files dc*_*.raw (images of Dark Chronicle) have the same size (in my case this is 458 880; I think that they have the same size and for other versions too because raw-format like bmp).
    Last edited by wrace0; 24th Nov 2016 at 16:33.

Whaou ! I will have to read this several times to understand. It's not easy !

Thank you for your help ! It's very nice !

If it's all right, I get this for the English "soul2chunk.txt" :

And this for the French version :

I must say I'm a bit lost ! I'm not as clever as you ! But I hang on

No, should be the content of the folder Default (extracted by Soul Spiral for the French version) in the folder sr2_chunks\ (without any files before such extracting - i.e. without chunks#### and other else).
    And should be the content of English version (extracted by Soul Spiral) in the folder sr2_soul_spiral\.
    So you should have such structure in these folders.
    sr2_chunks:
    00020EC0.dat
    00020EC1.dat
    00020EC5.dat
    sr2_soul_spiral:
    Default\
    pcenglish\
    sr2\
    To obtain soul2chunk.txt in the format like this:
    Default\025E4247.str 00209387.str
    pcenglish\abwrapup.drm 0374BD67.dat
    where the left column contains the files from the English version of bigfile.dat and the right column contains the files (the same, just with the different name) from the French version of bigfile.dat.

I.e. correspondance between files in two bigfile.dat.
    Now (for example, in the second log) you have the same names in both columns (with or without path).

OK. I'm confused with all these changes I will try.

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0 View Post
    And should be the content of English version (extracted by Soul Spiral) in the folder sr2_soul_spiral\.
    Just the "Default" folder ?

I put all the folders from the English version. I think is that

I get this :

It will be long with the RAW files (for the Dark Chronicle)

I opened some of these files with EyesOfRaw, just to see. A long job is waiting me

I just wanted to see if the concordance is good between the English and the French files, but it seams that is different for some RAW

It's very complicated !

Hm, it is strange that script - creating accordance between files - think that 2 different raw-files (with the same size) are the same, so localized files appeared in the list above (but in the arbitrary order).
    Though it seems that script is found all sound-files (which is not in list) - they have extension .str.
    English-list:

Default\08ACADA8.dat - pcenglish\locals.bin
    Another files (not in the list above) for english version:
    Default\3B952770.dat - sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\joyst1.cfg
    Default\7F88EFA8.dat - sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\keyboard.cfg
    Default\40053ED0.dat - sr2\game\pc\inpconfigs\mouse.cfg
    Default\07723078.dat - sr2\demo.dat
    though it is not needed to replace them anyway.

French-list:

It has + 6 files (+5 dat-files, one of which is locals.bin).

In the case of str-files we can use the meaning of names of files of English-version (for example, vor - Vorador, raz - Raziel, and so on).

About Dark Chronicle - the numeration is simple: Number of Chapter _ Number of Page for this chapter. You can either look at the game for the true order (for French-version) or on fan-sites (French ones) or just to view english raws in the right order.

Thank you very much ! You're the best !

Yes, I got the same idea for the Dark Chronicle. But it will be long ! I must do this when I have more time.

Many years ago one fan made the same for new version of localization for SR2 + he also corrected bugs in sound files.
    So it is really possible, but - yes - very long.

Crazy ! In any case, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without your help. So, a big thank you !

But it's not finished ! I hope I will be able to finish this, because I won't have a lot of time in the next few days. I will see !

I will be very long !

(I began with the RAW. Then I will rename all of them like the English files.)

In particular with the STR files. How can I know the correspondence between French STR and English STR ?

Ouch ! For the Dark Chronicle, there isn't the same number of image by chapter for the English and the French versions

Exemple : 7 images for the prologue in English and 4 images for the prologue in French.

I try to find the French "locals.bin" too, but the DAT files haven't exactly the same size as the English file :

How can I find it ? It becomes complicated ! In fact, it was already complicated
    Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 25th Nov 2016 at 10:57.

I don't think it's one of them, because when I open them with Notepad++, they are all different from the English "locals.bin" (Default\08ACADA8.dat) :

And I can't find something similar with other DAT files with identical sizes.

I even opened all the DAT files up to 45 ko in size. Nothing similar !

I think this French version is a bit special...
    Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 25th Nov 2016 at 11:36.

In particular with the STR files. How can I know the correspondence between French STR and English STR ?
    By listen them. Also you can try to sort STR files (from English and French lists) by size - may be you obtain needed correspondance automatically.

About locals.bin - for example, our locals.bin is also different from English one (the text below header is translated and looks very strange). But you saw (in the game) the appropriate French-version of text from English-version of locals.bin (for example, translated versions of such text as "Options" or "Dark Chronicle"), so you can try to find parts of such text in files (I do not know whether Notepad++ has the option to find the text in many files, but I know text editor which can do this - EmEditor). Or you can try to find the string "format memory card" - it is used for PS2 (but we have PC-version) and - for example - for our language this string was not translated. One more: it is preferably to seek the text with the set of symbols from the basic latin (a-z|A-Z) because extra-latin symbols can be coded in another way and by another ANSI-letters.

Ouch ! For the Dark Chronicle, there isn't the same number of image by chapter for the English and the French versions
    Exemple : 7 images for the prologue in English and 4 images for the prologue in French.
    Hm. This can be the problem because this means that there are additional differences between sr2.exe for these two versions.
    But - if you will have number of images (pages for the chapter) for the French-version < one for the English-version, you can just replace extra-pages by images with no text (or - at first - just leave English extra-pages as is).

By listen them. Also you can try to sort STR files (from English and French lists) by size - may be you obtain needed correspondance automatically.

About locals.bin - for example, our locals.bin is also different from English one (the text below header is translated and looks very strange). But you saw (in the game) the appropriate French-version of text from English-version of locals.bin (for example, translated versions of such text as "Options" or "Dark Chronicle"), so you can try to find parts of such text in files (I do not know whether Notepad++ has the option to find the text in many files, but I know text editor which can do this - EmEditor). Or you can try to find the string "format memory card" - it is used for PS2 (but we have PC-version) and - for example - for our language this string was not translated. One more: it is preferably to seek the text with the set of symbols from the basic latin (a-z|A-Z) because extra-latin symbols can be coded in another way and by another ANSI-letters.
    OK. I will see. Thanks !

Hm. This can be the problem because this means that there are additional differences between sr2.exe for these two versions.
    But - if you will have number of images (pages for the chapter) for the French-version < one for the English-version, you can just replace extra-pages by images with no text (or - at first - just leave English extra-pages as is).
    Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean when you say "you can just replace extra-pages by images with no text"
    What do you mean for extra-pages ? The images in excess ?

I found the French "locals.bin"

Thanks ! You are the boss !

For the STR files, is there a way to hear them ? It would be more easy to compare with sound.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean when you say "you can just replace extra-pages by images with no text"
    What do you mean for extra-pages ? The images in excess ?
    For example, images 5-7 for the prologue in English (because there are only 4 images for the prologue in French).
    I found the French "locals.bin"
    Good. Now you need to replace the appropriate strings in English locals.bin by localized versions of them from French one.
    Also it will be needed to correct offsets in the header (start positions of them, may be lengths) for strings with the different size.

For the STR files, is there a way to hear them ? It would be more easy to compare with sound.
    These STR files are really ogg-files with additional special header. Though you can hear them by any Sound-Editor or Player, which can recognize such format. For example, GoldWave.

For example, images 5-7 for the prologue in English (because there are only 4 images for the prologue in French).
    Ah OK ! I understand now Yes, but if it's the contrary for a chapter, if there is more French than English images, how will I do ?

Good. Now you need to replace the appropriate strings in English locals.bin by localized versions of them from French one.
    Also it will be needed to correct offsets in the header (start positions of them, may be lengths) for strings with the different size.
    OK. And how can I do that ? But I think I will do it in the end. Before I will do the STR files

These STR files are really ogg-files with additional special header. Though you can hear them by any Sound-Editor or Player, which can recognize such format. For example, GoldWave.
    OK. So I just need to change the extension of the files ?

Thank you for your help and your patience !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast