Thread: New Real-Life Soul Reaver Construction

New Real-Life Soul Reaver Construction

New Real-Life Soul Reaver Construction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L98ZYTJXa6w

Saw this as the most recent update in my list of updates from my subscriptions when I logged onto the Tube of Yous this afternoon and instantly squealed! I'm sure this guy's been shared on the forums before because he's made the Reaver before, and it's always absolutely gorgeous when he does! ;D It's great getting to see his construction method, and since it's a long-form video, it gives me something to watch while I'm wasting time in the dead of the night at my job. (We get very very very few calls sometimes, so we sometimes have a bit of free time to ourselves.)

well me...that's impressive

Even better than the "Man at arms" one

Yeah, the Man At Arms one was a little bit disappointing, though tons better then the mass-produced knock offs you can buy on Amazon from china. This one, though, is phenomenal! It, and the electronic-glowing-plastic one that someone made with a Broken-Pillars wall rack are my favorites and I need them in my life!

I'm not so sure Vorador got a fair reward for forging this thing...

LOL yeaaaaah, you can see just how much work goes into it when you watch the guy working. And he had modern electrically-powered technology! Blacksmithing is like 100x harder! (I actually TRIED to Blacksmith a thing when I was in welding courses in college. It was laughably impossible for my noodly, flabby arms...8'D)

That is by and far the best I've ever seen. Why did he and the man at arms team make theirs so big and cumbersome, they all looked like they could barely handle the weight during their demo? I'd love one that is scaled to functioning like a hand and a half sword. You're up next Zombie Tools, show us what you got.

Eh, the Reaver's not supposed to be a small weapon by any means, so I don't hold it against them. It just doesn't look that large when Kain's got it because he's freaking massive. ;D You also have to remember - it was forged by Vampires, who have much greater strength then Humans, so they can wield that monstrous thing much more easily then you or me could.

Originally Posted by GenFeelGood
    Why did he and the man at arms team make theirs so big and cumbersome
    In Blood Omen, the Soul Reaver is exclusively a two-handed sword and noticeably heavy in its swing. In SR, when Kain is positioned as if to strike (after first drawing the blade), he puts both hands to it. When he strikes Raziel down at the end of the battle, two hands. It clearly is big and cumbersome by design.

This one just has a better appearance though, never mind the scale.

I subscribe to that chap as well. Chuckled when I saw that video come up. Really enjoyed it .
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Why did he and the man at arms team make theirs so big and cumbersome, they all looked like they could barely handle the weight during their demo?
    Elder vampire Kain is 6 feet 10 inches tall. The blade should be over 5 feet in length.

That guy's version is fantastic, and I love listening to his videos. He's hilarious, besides being extremely gifted.

Fair enough, I never noticed before that Kain and Raziel wield the sword differently. Kain uses both hands while Raziel mostly wields it one handed, when you could briefly use it in Soul Reaver 2.

Kain uses both hands as a fledgling in BO1. I am sure he could probably use one if he needed to, given he was much stronger as he went throughout the game. He switches between one and two hands when wielding it as an evolved vampire in Defiance. Raziel uses two hands for heavy attacks with all blades and one hand with light attacks, so there was most certainly the limitation in game of not adding more animations to wield the Reaver differently than the rest of the blades, I am sure. However, both he and Kain have ridiculous super human strength to wield such a heavy blade with ease, compared to us mere mortals

Fair enough, I never noticed before that Kain and Raziel wield the sword differently. Kain uses both hands while Raziel mostly wields it one handed, when you could briefly use it in Soul Reaver 2.
    Well, Raziel can also move all those massive blocks with ease. In terms of pure physical power, his wraithvival (see what I did there? ) has put him in a class well above Kain.

that was a pretty fantastic version of the reaver but dang the size of it O_o make me kinda prefer man at arms version a little bit
    signature image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R4kDbu2wT8 He posted a silly sort of follow-up showing him smashing things with it like a baws! XD

I honestly love the size of it. It's canon-accurate and yeah, it'd be hard as heck for me to wield, but let's be honest - most of us wouldn't be trying to actually use it like the Soul Reaver was intended. At least I hope not. XP Short of carrying it around as a Ren Fair prop (and most fairs wouldn't let you carry it in because it can't be sheathed/peace-bound) it would be more of a really gorgeous and amazing display piece then an actual thing you'd use.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    Well, Raziel can also move all those massive blocks with ease. In terms of pure physical power, his wraithvival (see what I did there? ) has put him in a class well above Kain.
    That's highly debatable, seeing as Kain can also move huge things with just as much effort as Raziel in Defiance. I think it has more to do with their preferred fight technique, as Kain prefers using proper zweihander technique, while Raziel during his unlife had seemingly preferred one-handed swords (if the rune sword is any indicator).
    AKA RT on Steam and Count D on old Eidos forums

Raziel, himself, doesn't feel his powers *may* be on par, or able to surpass Kain, until after the gains from Turel. Kain in their fight also wasn't trying to kill Raziel, just keep him at bay. Even with Raziel going all out, he couldn't best Kain. He could only catch Kain off guard when the Reaver attempted to absorb Raz and Kain was pleading to him that it wasn't his doing. Before that moment, however, they were locked head to head and Raziel couldn't overpower Kain.

This discussion has actually made me impressed with William the Just now; being only human and wielding the sword as he stands his ground against Kain, even though he lost.

This discussion has actually made me impressed with William the Just now; being only human and wielding the sword as he stands his ground against Kain, even though he lost.
    King William The Badass.