Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TR10 Sales Discussion Thread

TR10 Sales Discussion Thread

So let's talk sales. Here's a collection of unofficial info that I've seen posted on the forum so far:

Rise of the Tomb Raider also arrived last week, as an Xbox timed-exclusive. It managed fourth place.

85 per cent of copies were sold on Xbox One, with the remaining 15 per cent on Xbox 360.

Last week also saw the arrival of Blizzard's StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void. Physical PC copies sold saw it arrive in 23rd place (Chart-Track does not include digital copies, which will make up the vast majority of sales).

The full top 10 lies below:
    1.Fallout 4
    2.Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
    3.FIFA 16
    4.Rise of the Tomb Raider
    5.Minecraft: Story Mode
    6.Need for Speed
    7.Football Manager 2016
    8.Lego Dimensions
    9.Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
    10.Halo 5: Guardians
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...p-on-new-vegas

---

Nearly All UK Gamers Bought Rise of the Tomb Raider On Xbox One

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ne...r-on-xbox-one/

---

UK sales: Rise of the Tomb Raider < 63,000 (Tomb Raider debuted selling around 183,000 units).
    https://twitter.com/ErrenVanDuine/st...81136855117825

---

Rise Of The Tomb Raider Low UK Sales Due To “Poor Release Timing”; Will Do “Just Fine” On PS4

http://wccftech.com/rise-tomb-raider...ming-fine-ps4/

---

Rise of the Tomb Raider Sells an Estimated 301K First Week at Retail - Sales

---

Microsoft, Square Enix "very happy" with Rise of the Tomb Raider, despite reported sales

---

2 days after the 20 year edition announcement, PS4 pre-orders boost the game's ranking to #3 on Amazon's PS4 games category, as well as bumping the game to #12 in the videogames category.

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...=pd_dp_ts_vg_1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller...sr_vg_1_3_last

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
    Last edited by Driber; 21st Jul 2016 at 12:13. Reason: update.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Not sure how reliable VGChartz is, but it's sold 301,000 copies in its first week of release across both MS platforms if VGC is anything to go by; 229,742 on XB1, 71,286 on 360.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/2622...eek-at-retail/

"Nearly All UK Gamers Bought Rise of the Tomb Raider On Xbox One" -> As several people in the comments of the article point out, that's just a bad, bad headline. Yes, they're comparing Xbox One sales to 360 sales, but the result of that comparison is not entirely surprising. Someone who wasn't really aware that Tomb Raider was a timed exclusive might be misled by such a headline

I absolutely think that the timing hurt sales, although of course Fallout was released for 3 current generation platforms while Rise was only released on 1 current-gen platform, so the closest you could get to a "valid" comparison would be comparing XB1 sales to XB1 sales.

Eurogamer - how can they even chart games like that? It's essentially meaningless, given not having digital sales, and given that they're comparing apples to oranges with some games only being released on certain platforms. Still, I suppose it's impressive then that Rise is fourth on their chart, given its Xbox-only status.

I feel like Tomb Raider is reaching out to a wide audience now and Rise is looking amazing, so we do have a for the possibility of selling copies of Rise, but then put it in the same month - never mind the same day - as Fallout 4, and you have lots of gamers who maybe can only afford one game, or only have time to play one game. Let's just compare a general gamer looking for a fun game, not a Tomb Raider fan or a Fallout fan. Open world game with a main quest, side quests and possibly hundreds of hours of gameplay, versus a tighter narrative-driven game with a few dozen hours of gameplay? They could very well choose Fallout. And then... let's say this average gamer who can buy one game this month decides that Rise of the Tomb Raider looks really amazing... and then they find out that it's not available on their platform.

The point of my rambling is that as far as sales go, I have the unfortunate feeling that Rise really has the deck stacked against it in every possible way.

We can only hope positive reviews and advertisements continue to drive sales of the game.
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    The point of my rambling is that as far as sales go, I have the unfortunate feeling that Rise really has the deck stacked against it in every possible way.

We can only hope positive reviews and advertisements continue to drive sales of the game.
    Who came up with the idea to put both games out on the same day? I went in my games store in the UK and just everything about this guy from fallout doing a thumbs up (I don't know what he is called). They had 3 windows full of posters, a whole stand at the entrance and even a big person sized statue and ROTTR had one space on a shelf below eye level. The reviews are really good but if have to really search to find it in a games store then it may not reach its potential in sales.

PS doesn't have that much in major releases around now so being there would have really helped TR get more prominence. Thanks to the exclusivity TR is fighting with one hand behind it's back and I hope when it gets out on PS and PC that gives it a better run.

Just to ask out of curiosity I know a lot of comments around different TR forums have said that early sales are poor in comparison to TR(2013) but a lot of this was mixed with deal criticism so I don't know how much is true. If anyone has the comparable stats can you put them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaugmar View Post
    PS doesn't have that much in major releases around now so being there would have really helped TR get more prominence. Thanks to the exclusivity TR is fighting with one hand behind it's back and I hope when it gets out on PS and PC that gives it a better run.
    I hope so, too. Unfortunately, it then faces the uphill battle of trying to sell a year old game with Mass Effect 4 coming out around the same time next year when it does finally hit the PS4 (since both are listed as Q4 2016 releases).

But who knows? Maybe the PS4's release date will be bumped up if they continue to see disappointing sales on the XB1.

Smile

Guessing sales are low due to the character still using a Bow when even in uncharted they use modern firearms. Its just looks confusing to be a modern game with ancient weapons on the cover or worse has that desperate look of trying to copy hunger games which isnt appealing maybe?

The failure of still using the bow may be due to lack of proper focus group testing of what gamers want to see in a game a bow or guns on their main character? If proper focus group testing was done to determine if anyone wanted the Bow then maybe the game would be selling better?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Guessing sales are low due to the character still using a Bow when even in uncharted they use modern firearms. Its just looks confusing to be a modern game with ancient weapons on the cover or worse has that desperate look of trying to copy hunger games which isnt appealing maybe?
    Are sales low?
    I didn't make the connection between RotTR and the Hunger Games, so its likely others didn't either. While the cover shows Lara wearing the bow it's hardly pushed to the fore as a main focus. There are modern firearms in the game; 4 shotguns, 4 rifles and 4 pistols (if I have counted correctly) so you don't actually have to use the bow as a weapon at all.

The failure of still using the bow may be due to lack of proper focus group testing of what gamers want to see in a game a bow or guns on their main character? If proper focus group testing was done to determine if anyone wanted the Bow then maybe the game would be selling better?
    Why is the bow a failure? It plays an integral part in the gameplay and a lot of people like it, particularity for stealth play.
    Just because you don't like the bow you can't cite that as a reason for good or bad sales as a whole.

You have danced around it, so i'll say it. You want Dual-pistols back and you don't like the bow. Fair enough. I think the dual pistols will make an appearance when Lara is skilled enough to use them but while they are missed it doesn't make the game a failure or unplayable for not having them.
    signature image

Microsoft, Square Enix "very happy" with Rise of the Tomb Raider, despite reported sales

Microsoft and Square Enix are both "very happy" with Xbox timed-exclusive Rise of the Tomb Raider, director Brian Horton has reassured.

Responding to fans on the Tomb Raider forum in a thread discussing unofficial reports of the title's sales, Horton said his team was focusing on the game's positive reviews and fan feedback

"Microsoft and Square are very happy with Rise and the dev team, thanks for the concerns. Crystal and Eidos Montreal made a game we are proud of and we appreciate the overwheling number of positive reviews and fan feedback. We're looking forward to the Game Awards next week where we are nominated for Best Action Adventure and Best Performance for Camilla. Wish us luck, hopefully it's just the beginning of the recognition Tomb Raider and Lara Croft receives this year. It's cool to see her on top again for the second game in a row. We're all fans and for me it's been the honor of my career to be a part of such a fantastic legacy. Next year 20th Anniversary! "
    http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=175

Main article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...t-square-sales
    signature image

Thanks for the links. OP updated.

Just to ask out of curiosity I know a lot of comments around different TR forums have said that early sales are poor in comparison to TR(2013) but a lot of this was mixed with deal criticism so I don't know how much is true. If anyone has the comparable stats can you put them up.
    You can find TR9 sales figures here: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=138734

Though keep in mind that you'd be comparing a 3 platform release with a 1 platform release.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Funniest thing I've read all day. Please tell me you're trolling.
    signature image

So true, but Tomb Raider is one step ahead of Uncharted, for when the Feminist overlords take reign...
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    You can find TR9 sales figures here: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=138734

Though keep in mind that you'd be comparing a 3 platform release with a 1 platform release.
    Not great reading really except for those who wanted to present the sales figures as stats to show the deal harmed TR. Maybe will pick up for Christmas as you get more casual spending so I guess the big one to see is if next year the PS sales maintain from TR(2013) or really drop.

I think not having PS4 version out is the main reason as in a free choice that is the platform where TR would sell most copies but Fallout 4 is also significant. The bow I really like the mechanic of even if it seems a little too much taken straight out of hunger games. The last revelation crossbow seemed far more practical but they seemed to be going for a particular aesthetic with the current one. I can't get the reasoning behind sticking single pistols in the game and not putting dual pistols. It seems like something done out of principle but I am sure would be very popular if they did put them in. Disappointing but don't think is a big thing for sales though.

I think not having PS4 version out is the main reason as in a free choice that is the platform where TR would sell most copies but Fallout 4 is also significant. The bow I really like the mechanic of even if it seems a little too much taken straight out of hunger games. The last revelation crossbow seemed far more practical but they seemed to be going for a particular aesthetic with the current one. I can't get the reasoning behind sticking single pistols in the game and not putting dual pistols. It seems like something done out of principle but I am sure would be very popular if they did put them in. Disappointing but don't think is a big thing for sales though.
    I don't think its purely aesthetic though. You couldn't achieve a lot of the in game traversal and other actions without the bow. I think the reason for not putting in dual pistols is not out of principle but rather that classic Lara is a fully-formed, fully skilled Tomb Raider. Reboot Lara isn't, hence the gymnastics and dual pistols do not fit into the character....yet. In Rise we are seeing tree climbing and other more skillful moves that allude to the character developing and so the appearance of classic Lara traits is only a matter of time in my opinion. Whether we completely lose the bow remains to be seen.
    signature image

I have no problem with the bow whatsoever. I love it as a stealth weapon.

But you know what, all this talk about bow vs dual guns is kinda silly. No one is saying that it needs to be an either or thing!

... has that desperate look of trying to copy hunger games...
    ... even if it seems a little too much taken straight out of hunger games.
    You're going to have to explain this to me. It's like saying Saving Private Ryan was a copy of Die Hard because they both had machine guns.
    signature image

a good example of how poorly it is selling: (All numbers come from VGCHARTZ)
    TR 2013 first week sales (US only) 214,434(360) 22,138(xbone)
    ROTR First week sales (US only) 105,081(xbone) 38,736(360)

I could add other countries but the US being the biggest market for the game and the numbers showing a similar trend didn't see the need...

over all ROTR is selling 1/2 as much in the first week alone... and in the second week picked up even less total sales than the first week

Quote Originally Posted by medievil1 View Post

I could add other countries but the US being the biggest market for the game and the numbers showing a similar trend didn't see the need...

over all ROTR is selling 1/2 as much in the first week alone... and in the second week picked up even less total sales than the first week
    Of course "poorly" is relative. What you or I may consider poor SE or CD may consider acceptable, expected or successful in the context of the marketplace they are selling to.

I think that digital sales are excluded from these numbers though aren't they?
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    Of course "poorly" is relative. What you or I may consider poor SE or CD may consider acceptable, expected or successful in the context of the marketplace they are selling to.

digital sales only make up about 10% of the retail sales (Even less than that for TR (2013)) so you are looking at most another 10k-13k

Oh come on now, this is the same Square Enix that was "disappointed" in the last game doing some 3 million(1 million in its first week) in its first month. They have no clue what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    Oh come on now, this is the same Square Enix that was "disappointed" in the last game doing some 3 million(1 million in its first week) in its first month. They have no clue what they're talking about.
    I thought that statement was deemed as hastily made and pretty much retracted at some stage?
    Either way, different time, different marketplace, possibly different expectations.
    signature image

I'm not surprised to see Fallout 4 in first place; it's well-deserved, in my opinion. Meanwhile, while I am not surprised that Call of Duty: Black Ops 647 and FIFA 230 are ahead of Rise of the Tomb Raider, I don't think it's deserved at all. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a refreshing, innovative experience with truly magnificent offerings, whereas Call of Duty and FIFA are just exhausting the same old, tired crap. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Tomb Raider fan.

(click image to enlarge)

So TR 2013 sold 22k copies on XB1 during launch week, despite the fact that the console didn't even exist yet.

Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    So TR 2013 sold 22k copies on XB1 during launch week, despite the fact that the console didn't even exist yet.

Magic!

no, obviously I included the first week of sales of the xbone's release.. it was for comparison purposes...then and now...

no, obviously I included the first week of sales of the xbone's release.. it was for comparison purposes...then and now...
    If it wasn't clear to me then it obviously wasn't obvious

However subjective you can't deny the sale numbers show that while not a disaster is still not a great start. With the competition with Fallout 4 maybe PS had a potential Uncharted clash when the choice was made. Still if you are fully multiplatform without exclusivity a bad bit of completion on one console isn't so bad because you have 2 more shots at getting your launch month sales. Something like Just Cause 3 that is doing the full big 3 at launch (Xbox, PS and PC) is getting lots of hype. Marketing JC3 on any console can bolster sales on that console AND on the others. This gives the triple launch more impact and generates more hype than the sum of 3 separate launches.

The big shame is ROTTR looks like a awesome, highly praised game, that they worked hard on but the idea the exclusivity strategy has let it down in financial terms (as well as aliening fans) is starting to be validated. Is only VERY early results but they do suggest ROTTR may not fulfil it's huge potential because of the arrangement and hope if the numbers keep going this way that CD/SE really pick up the memo. Still vast amounts of time for it to do great on any one of, or all of the release platforms though.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast