Thread: Universal voices

Universal voices

Universal voices

Hey guys, just a little idea I had.

You know when you start a match or get a kill, your character spits some dialouge?

Why not make that hearable for everyone?

The characters have great personality to them and it's a lot of fun hearing them talk, but for whatever reason, it's client sided.

I think it'd make the game feel a lot more alive if you could hear everyone saying anything. Killing people, taking damage, using abilities, ect...

As it is right now, everything seems kinda... dull. It feels like you're fighting a bunch of bots, and combat just feels like a bunch of mutes throwin' stuff at each other.

If every voice clip could be heard by everyone, I think it'd make Nosgoth feel more immersive, more "in-the-now", y'know?

Also, as a stretch suggestion, if that ever does get implemented, record more voices?

Maybe some clips for assists, or healing, like "Thank you Brother!" Or "He nearly had me!"

That'd really give a chance for Nosgoth's personality to shine!

Imagine hearing all the characters making the phrases at the same time (beginning of the match)... that would be a huge babbeling And it wouldn't sound good.

For the second thing, recording more phrases, I'm totally with you <3

I like how the dialogue is, now. I may not be able to hear everything that gets said, but it makes it kind of funny when you can hear exactly which character made the remark when there's a group of people standing around in battle wailing away at each other. If you made them universally audible, it would lose that directional/distance aspect.

I'm all for there being more recorded dialogue, though. ;D I would love for there to be more stuff like that added to the game!

Hearing some guy taunting from clear across The Crucible would be silly.

And frankly, the whole we-call-out-all-of-our-attacks thing is great client-side for convenience but would come across as really really dumb if you actually heard them all doing it.

Now, a few select dialogue bits hearable within a given range, sure. And more dialogue, always.

I will say - if they took certain bits of dialogue that are in the game and made them appropriately ranged, such as when the humans start rage-screaming when you hold down the fire button long enough in the middle of battle, so that you could hear them from a farther distance as if they were actually screaming/shouting, I'd totally love that. ;D Being able to hear the roars of fury from across the map would be delightfully chaotic!

Originally Posted by KaininitePriestess
    I will say - if they took certain bits of dialogue that are in the game and made them appropriately ranged, such as when the humans start rage-screaming when you hold down the fire button long enough in the middle of battle, so that you could hear them from a farther distance as if they were actually screaming/shouting, I'd totally love that. ;D Being able to hear the roars of fury from across the map would be delightfully chaotic!
    Oh, as long as the range is appropriate, sure. Delightful atmosphere, that.

Yeah, I'd say halfway across the map for the loudest shout, and have the volume scale accordingly.

Plus, it would also help with trying to find where the enemy is if one of them is being a loose canon and just blasting off abilities willy nilly. ;D

Yeah, the idea is that it'd have different levels of loudness, range, ect...

That's... kinda a given... idk why it would be any other way...

As for the start of the match... it'd pick one of the 4 to say something, then play that character's dialogue. Playing all 4 would just be a bad design choice.

It wouldn't really lose out on the directional hearing as attacks are loud, if not louder than your characters voice and they have very distinct audial keys.

You certainly won't mistake your Hunter buddies boasting with an Abyssal Bolt

What I meant by "directional hearing" is that the way the suggestion seemed by apparently a few people was that you would be able to hear the taunts and things the same volume wherever you were on the map, similar to an announcer in some other games during deathmatch style games: "PLAYER 3 DOWN! FINISH HIM!" etc. If that were the case, you wouldn't really be able to tell where it was coming from.

But if it was always the intent that the shouts and things still have a range of hearing that didn't cover the entire map, then yeah, we can just chalk that up to some of us being confused about the original intent of the suggestion. My bad.

Originally Posted by Raptr0s
    Yeah, the idea is that it'd have different levels of loudness, range, ect...

That's... kinda a given... idk why it would be any other way...
    Probably because of things like "if you could hear everyone saying anything..." and "If every voice clip could be heard by everyone..." (Emphasis added.)

Accounting for volume and range would in many cases preclude everyone hearing everything, hence the confusion.
    But yes, cleared up and understood, that idea then is quite good.

Hmph, fair enough.

I'll try to be more specific from now on.

I guess since I had the idea in my head already, I didn't think about how to convey it properly.

Yeah, that happens to me lots of times, too. I'll know in my head what I'm saying and then don't realize that I didn't explain it in a way that made it clear to everyone else. Confusion and flustered flailing ensues. XD