Thread: The Revived and Updated (Almost) Definitive LoK Maps Thread

The Revived and Updated (Almost) Definitive LoK Maps Thread

Full thread can now be found here:
    https://cultofhashakgik.blogspot.com...-lok-maps.html
    Last edited by Bazielim; 19th Dec 2018 at 20:27. Reason: updated dead links
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

This is an incredibly great and resourceful thread, Bazelim! I really appreciate it . I myself attempted to make a combined map about a year ago in which you had mentioned that you had made an extensive maps thread which had been lost. I'm guessing this is it.

I used Jake Pawloski's base map of the area and edited it heavily by layering Shrkull's BO1 and SR maps, the concept and in-game map of BO2, Tenaya's SR2/Defiance map, and Lucent's Nosgoth map. I ran into several minor issues regarding map consistency across the games but nothing a little bit of adjustment couldn't fix. The map didn't look anywhere nearly as polished since it was mostly an effort so superimpose the aforementioned maps and to reconcile them to the best of my ability.

This is all amazing. It's great to see dedication after so much time.

Ahh my fellow c(h)artographer, Bazielim...and limajdaas, I see Excellent work here. Doing these things pleases me very much. My curiosity lies also in the developers commentary (would that they gave us one) on Defiance's apparently reversed directions, on SR2's so misfit Sarafan Stronghold (for this I can simply conjecture that to accommodate such big edifice the Southern Lake would be so big and impossible for the computer's memory), on BO2's design and if they ever thought about the whole composition of levels (on BO2 I stopped at The Canyons level, I was so curious to see it all, but it was difficult to keep some reference through all that sinuosity), on why some apparently simple areas do not convene (!) (e.g. the sunken cathedral in SR1, Janos' edifice).

Thank you very much for you dedication, Bazielim.

Thanks Shrykull.

I've added the Silenced Cathedral/Da Nest to the top post, but considering recent events today I thought I should add these extra special goodies that cropped up a few days ago courtesy of The Hylden. Hylden has also added to his 'Kain's Lament' thread regarding these, which can be found here.
    These are arguably some of the most detailed and epic maps of Nosgoth seen thus far.

Blood Omen era:

(click image to enlarge)

Soul Reaver era:

(click image to enlarge)

The 'War For Nosgoth'

(click image to enlarge)

These were planned for inclusion with Nosgoth but never made it passed the legal department before the game was cancelled. As Hylden explains:
    Over a year ago, a few select fans and myself collaborated to construct the definitive map of Nosgoth, which Square Enix asked us to do in order for the now cancelled 'Nosgoth' by Psyonix studios to have a truly authentic map of the world and within the series. Alas, that was still tied up within the legal department when the game was cancelled, so it never was adopted into the canon of the series by Square. However, for my purposes, and other projects, like Soul Revenant, this map is the quintessential map of Nosgoth. Collaborating with those fans, those run the Wiki and a few others (that I will name soon), I was tasked to do the final artwork, so this scene now follows from the extra curricular task within that project, which I took upon myself to do, in breaking down and rationalizing all of the paths seen within the games and trying to unify them logically within the actual world space, as if these could have existed even with just the map from the first Blood Omen game. It wound up working out nicely.
    The amount of thought and debate that went into this is truly staggering, and a better round up and explanation can be found here and here; The latter of which contains a further extension of this - an attempt to fully recreate a unified Pillars area in 3D combining the layouts of the games to date. It is epic.
    Last edited by Bazielim; 17th Dec 2018 at 20:56. Reason: updated dead links
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

New Alpha/Beta Maps

Ok, so with the recent developments in the cut content - Summarised here - we have a new set of maps to ponder - ones set at the very start of the conception of Nosgoth. Long Story short: a LOT changed between the Blood Omen 1 Alphas and the beta/retail versions.
    You can find another examination of these early maps here

Let's kick thing off by reminding ourselves of the squished maps from Avernus Heaven Realm and the Stronghold of William the Just.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
    These maps were always a bit off the wall because they seemed to match each other quite closely but neither really matched the layout of Nosgoth itself. We even used them as inspiration for our attempts to bring out a definitive map of Nosgoth for the both the Blood Omen era and Soul Reaver era - conceiving of them as elaborate troll by Moebius - waving the map of Kain's broken future empire in front of a fledgling Kain who would not understand them.

These maps were always puzzling and it turns out that was because they were indeed part of something more. The original layout of Nosgoth as seen in the Blood Omen alpha is vastly different with many areas moved, greatly altered added, or deleted altogether and the above maps were actually the last vestiges of the original layout of Nosgoth left in the beta/retail game - with the familiar Blood Omen maps apparently drawn up as last minute replacements.

The original in game map of Blood Omen actually looked like this:

(click image to enlarge)
    It has a few party tricks too: the map has fully animated clouds for example that drift by as if you're looking down from the heavens - probably no coincidence it ended up in the Heaven area then. As you play through the areas light up and landmarks are added in glorious 3D, so that once you've explored the game world it will look something like this:

(click image to enlarge)
    Of course you can probably tell from this that there's a lot that's not where it eventually ended up and you'd be right. I'll spare you the blow-by-blow breakdown for now (because so much has changed) although you can find a full gallery of the alpha map areas here (along with a spreadsheet attempt to compare individual room differences) and some further explanation at the Lost Worlds here and my wiki blog here.

What I will do is add a map of how the main overland areas fit together in this version of Nosgoth.

(click image to enlarge)
    As with the retail version Avernus still can't fit into it's space (it's counted as a separate area and not included in the main overland anyway) - but a lot of the issues that were present in the retail are actually a lot clearer in the original map and the layout of the areas matches the maps a lot more closely, so that you can almost overlay them, with minimal movement to get everything to line up as below:

(click image to enlarge)
    Ben has already noticed a number of patterns in layout and terrain within this that suggest that there were alterations and that at least some of the parts in the maps above were temporary additions until final layouts could be produced. He's included some hypothetical layouts that show how Vorador's Mansion, the Cemetery and the Lake of the Dead may have been intended to be in other places, but their connections were never fully completed. Other hypothetical speculation from these could show us a potential position of Wierstein and a myriad of other revelation that are either spelt out or heavily implied.

You can find more on these new maps and their implications here - and this may not be the end of the revelations. More is promised as the updates roll in and just to twist the knife: examination of data reveals that there may be an even earlier alpha version that may contain almost twice the amount of level areas than the later ones. We'll keep you posted of developments if that one turns up.
    signature image