Thread: Why is the game in such a pathetic state? What happened?

Why is the game in such a pathetic state? What happened?

  1. #1

    Why is the game in such a pathetic state? What happened?

    I stopped playing Nosgoth about a year ago. Now I returned and have to say: What the hell happened with the game?
    The new forge is pretty bad imo. I have no idea how I get materials past the first two, so I can upgrade SOMETHING.
    The drops are pretty bad, too. I get blood vials while every other guy get chests or keys in my games. I see 8 great drops and I get blood vials.
    Also what about the progress of the game? Last year it was only the repetative TDM. Now we have only TDM, too. I just got one game in the corpse mode, but now the mode is closed and I have the boring TDM-only. Where is the capturing mode? Where is everything besides a 30 Kills TDM?
    Maps. All the maps were old. I only saw one new map. One map in more than a year? Pretty weak imo.
    I tried competitive. It was dreadful out of 4 games I got 3 games against cheaters. All 3 were low-playtime-people with low steam-level and VAC bans in the last 1-2 week. I read something about Fairfight and screenshots of the game and automatic bans in Nosgoth. Are such things happening or is the game a cheatfest?
    So is there a single reason to keep playing this game with massive issues and no progress (imo)?

  2. #2
    You get materials as drops.
    You're better off with blood vials than chests anyway. Chests and keys will destroy this game.
    CtB is only ever a temporary mode for some reason. Flashpoint mysteriously vanished.
    New maps are coming.

    And that question is already loaded with preconceptions and, if the title of this thread and tone of your post are any indication, your already-believed answer of "No". Ergo it is an invalid question.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands (Currently in Finland)
    Posts
    827
    Originally Posted by Jostabeere
    I stopped playing Nosgoth about a year ago. Now I returned and have to say: What the hell happened with the game?
    The new forge is pretty bad imo. I have no idea how I get materials past the first two, so I can upgrade SOMETHING.
    The drops are pretty bad, too. I get blood vials while every other guy get chests or keys in my games. I see 8 great drops and I get blood vials.
    Also what about the progress of the game? Last year it was only the repetative TDM. Now we have only TDM, too. I just got one game in the corpse mode, but now the mode is closed and I have the boring TDM-only. Where is the capturing mode? Where is everything besides a 30 Kills TDM?
    Maps. All the maps were old. I only saw one new map. One map in more than a year? Pretty weak imo.
    I tried competitive. It was dreadful out of 4 games I got 3 games against cheaters. All 3 were low-playtime-people with low steam-level and VAC bans in the last 1-2 week. I read something about Fairfight and screenshots of the game and automatic bans in Nosgoth. Are such things happening or is the game a cheatfest?
    So is there a single reason to keep playing this game with massive issues and no progress (imo)?


    There are currently 3 gamemodes which are: TDM, Flashpoint and CTB. However Flashpoint is under full reconstruction as far as I know and CTB is in test phase thus not 24/7.

    Next to that there is the League series which is now at the 3th serie, which allows 2 player parties.

    Crafting items are being dropped and obtained via item boxes you can get when you log in. Chest drops are not that useful, only the key drops might be useful.

    Currently Nosgoth has 6 maps and THE CRUCIBLE is the newest atm, a new map is in development but map development takes time as each map has at least some unique art work.

    The fairfight system + VAC system are fully operational within the game and people are being banned for sure. However remember that some people come from games similar to Nosgoth and thus have a great reaction speed. They could have just been good, knowing if someone is a cheater is a hard task.

    You ask if there is a single reason to keep playing the game, well this is all up to you. I know people who quit and who continued. I myself like the game, however I do not have the time to play it that often.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    23
    Love how some people can make 80% of their post consist out of the nonsense and then ask to be taken seriously.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by xeno2k
    Love how some people can make 80% of their post consist out of the nonsense and then ask to be taken seriously.
    Love how some people can make 100% of their post consist out of nonsence while saying someone wrote nonsence without saying why or where.
    If you think it's nonsence, tell me why am I wrong in your opinion please.
    Please tell me why it's nonsence when I said its a pretty bad thing with the new forge. I played around 40 games in the last 5 days with 10 league games and around 10 CtB games. Have yet dropped a single dark material or a blue vial thingy. I see people with not many playtime using all mysterious guns while I have only one from times they could be dropped.
    The game ain't bad. I stopped playing it because there was only 1 mode. They scraped the cool domination mode and the new one is temporary only. League is the same as TDM but with cheaters or high-end-players who just dump on me.
    The crucible is pretty cool, but still. I started playing more than 1 1/2 years ago and there were 6 maps. and all of them weren't new, so it took the dev team nearly 2 years to release one map? In my POV it's not much progress for a Beta game to release only 2 classes and 1 map in 2 years.
    The game is still nice to play some rounds and then turn it off. But I'm actually pretty sad and disappointed it doesn'tg have the thing to keep you playing for hours, days or weeks. TDM gets pretty damn repetative.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands (Currently in Finland)
    Posts
    827
    Josta

    (First let me put up a warning, text wall ahead, tried to split it up so you can just skip lots of text)
    After that warning let me first say I also think it takes long, but then again I have little time to play so I rather have the developers put in more times and make a less buggy game then push release stuff.

    Timeline of Nosgoth Alpha - beta

    The closed alpha started around the end of 2013 (September/November) Might be a bit earlier can't recall.
    The closed beta started at 2014-02-27
    The open Beta started at 2015-01-21

    March - 2014 you started (unless my calculations are off ), which means in closed beta. In this time it was indeed that Sommerdamm was already released. Before that there were 3 maps.
    As far as I recall the map got released at the release of Closed beta. (Someone can correct me if my memory is faulty here )

    After that two more maps got released on the following dates.
    2015-03-31 - Crucible release
    2014-07-22 - The Fane Release

    Why it might take so long to develop a new map
    I do expect the new map to be released around December/January. However in my opinion I cannot blame them, the maps are also lore based, so compared to games with a new lore or no lore at all Nosgoth is taking its resources out of existing information and does have to do more research. How did it look, what is known, what is unknown, what is possible to fit the unknown gaps etc. This research can take months, then the new development of new structures, as not all structures are being copied from other maps (nearly nothing is copied as far as I know), which also takes up a few months. Then structuring the map, Visual fixes, animating, testing etc.) so that would mean at least in my opinion having a 6-12 month period to create and develop one new map is okay, this however all depends on the developers team size. As far as I recall not the full psyonix team is working on Nosgoth only a part is.

    Of course I cannot say with certainty how they work at psyonix, maybe they just drink coffee all day or play Nosgoth or Rocketleague. (last option is something I would do, I would be such a bad employee).

    Game modes

    However I have to agree that it does feel long, and other game modes and things. I did like Flashpoint and I do like CTB, however the majority of the players like TDM. I would love to see a FFA, however how would that work in this game, don't think humans will kill each others, maybe vampires will so that can work. Vampire FFA.

    You can always suggest other game modes, I know that the team really loves feedback.

    materials
    In regard to the Materials, I agree the drops are rather low right now, they have decreased the drops as far as I recall. However the main material you get from weapons you collect in battles and destroying them and resource crates you can get from logging in. This because not all resources drop in game as far as I noticed so far. (Try to salvage some useless weapons).

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Jostabeere
    it doesn't have the thing to keep you playing for hours, days or weeks.
    What would you suggest to make a multiplayer arena game worth weeks of steady play? Because I haven't seen any game in this whole genre that manages to be that good.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    What would you suggest to make a multiplayer arena game worth weeks of steady play? Because I haven't seen any game in this whole genre that manages to be that good.
    More maps. Although the maps in Nosgoth are pretty and unique, the 100th game on the same map feels... Well, not really that good. Maybe it's just me, but I like varieties.
    More equipment/skills, even gimmicky stuff or stuff which is harder to use but more rewarding. All classes have like 2-3 primaries, a bigger variety of stuff would make every fight more unique.
    More modes. Not only standard ones, but more fun modes.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Jostabeere
    More modes. Not only standard ones, but more fun modes.
    There should be a less competitive mode.
    DM, CTB and Flashpoint are nice...but there is always some tension and raging involved.

    I know this has been said a million times, but devs should implement the Hoard mode idea (4 players vs a large amount of AI vamps or humans).

    Recent talk of the sound reaver (that was removed from SR1), made me think about a Hoard mode where humans could use bells and whatnot to stun/kill hoards of vampires coming their way...
    I would love to play something like this.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    There should be a less competitive mode.
    DM, CTB and Flashpoint are nice...but there is always some tension and raging involved.

    I know this has been said a million times, but devs should implement the Hoard mode idea (4 players vs a large amount of AI vamps or humans).

    Recent talk of the sound reaver (that was removed from SR1), made me think about a Hoard mode where humans could use bells and whatnot to stun/kill hoards of vampires coming their way...
    I would love to play something like this.
    How about the humans use bells and such to temporarily stun vampire hoards while moving toward the Silenced Cathedral's pinnacle to activate its weapon?

    Or sort of a literal siege mode. Say the humans are out to break through into the Sanctuary...Live humans could linger near some sort of siege-style mobile battering ram, pushing it forward and steadily breaking down the door...With vamps killing or distancing them to halt progress or even pushing the ram back by being near with no humans about.

    There is still a contest element involved but it's something new anyway. And an AI hoard mode would be a delight. It could even be customizable. Fight an army of Tyrants in the Crucible...
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 7th Nov 2015 at 03:38.