Thread: Relating to our protagonist.

Relating to our protagonist.

This post is pretty much directed at those browsing the forum trying to get a better idea of the game and if they should give it a go.

I'd been on the fence about playing LiS ever since ep 1 first came out. Everyone said it was awesome but the main character is an 18 year old woman, i'm a 32 year old guy, how the heck could I relate enough to her to become invested in her story?
    I write this because I don't think it's crazy to assume there are a lot of gamers in the same position I was and that they might just end up deciding against it. Make no mistake, turning away form LiS would be one of the worst decisions you, as a gamer, could make.
    See, I had one of those forehead slap epiphany moments. Take the master chief, as just one example. How the hell do I relate to him? that we both pee standing up? that's it. In no real way could I possibly relate to a character like that, so what was really stopping me from playing the character of Max? Nothing.

I finished chapter 2 last night and know this game is something special, it's clearly influenced by Tornquist's The longest journey (which I played long ago much closer to the age of it's protagonist, 18 year old female art student, April Ryan), you could even say it is this generations TLJ, and yet for all that is subtly familiar it still feels like this is some thing new, it feels like a wholey new experience, and I don't have to tell you guys that has become so incredibly rare with gaming today.

Max is pretty cool, step into her shoes, you won't be disappointed.

Besides the the atmosphere and theme of nostalgia, Max was one of the main reasons why I fell in love with this game after Ep 1 (I have just a little similar character with her).

Quote Originally Posted by AdeBliss View Post
    This post is pretty much directed at those browsing the forum trying to get a better idea of the game and if they should give it a go.

I'd been on the fence about playing LiS ever since ep 1 first came out. Everyone said it was awesome but the main character is an 18 year old woman, i'm a 32 year old guy, how the heck could I relate enough to her to become invested in her story?
    I write this because I don't think it's crazy to assume there are a lot of gamers in the same position I was and that they might just end up deciding against it. Make no mistake, turning away form LiS would be one of the worst decisions you, as a gamer, could make.
    See, I had one of those forehead slap epiphany moments. Take the master chief, as just one example. How the hell do I relate to him? that we both pee standing up? that's it. In no real way could I possibly relate to a character like that, so what was really stopping me from playing the character of Max? Nothing.

I finished chapter 2 last night and know this game is something special, it's clearly influenced by Tornquist's The longest journey (which I played long ago much closer to the age of it's protagonist, 18 year old female art student, April Ryan), you could even say it is this generations TLJ, and yet for all that is subtly familiar it still feels like this is some thing new, it feels like a wholey new experience, and I don't have to tell you guys that has become so incredibly rare with gaming today.

Max is pretty cool, step into her shoes, you won't be disappointed.
    I am quite certain that gender doesn't really matter when it comes to relating. I am twice Max's age, but I do share some of her characteristics and about half of Chloe's, I do share some of Frank's & David's characteristics.

I think / belief that relating to characters in any given medium is more of a inter personal affair than pointing to one of two genders (or how every one sees it).

Take a good long look into yourselves, you might see parts of yourselves in the characters you encounter through out the game.
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Relating on a protagonist only gender-wise is pretty immature anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by codemasher View Post
    Relating on a protagonist only gender-wise is pretty immature anyway...
    I find that people do a lot of just that. At least in the country I live most people are little bit too busy be either gender A or B and only subscribe to things that re-enforces their views on gender roles. It is after all the easiest way to find somewhere to belong.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    I find that people do a lot of just that. At least in the country I live most people are little bit too busy be either gender A or B and only subscribe to things that re-enforces their views on gender roles. It is after all the easiest way to find somewhere to belong.
    There's nothing more boring that macho-culture

I don't find it any harder to relate to an opposite gender (and I think everything is normal with me this way ). I don't think the immersion would be bigger if I was playing as Maxmilian.
    Last edited by Tataboj; 3rd Nov 2015 at 14:19.

Maybe I didn't explain my thoughts very well, i'm not particularly eloquent. I was kinda referring to relating to a character as it applies to immersion.
    I tend to gravitate more towards games with a character creator as i like, rather than be someone else entirely, to be myself, as close as possible, in that situation/universe, for me that dials up the immersion to the max (lolz), it's me in that world, making those choices, playing as someone entirely different there's an inevitable amount disconnect which is why i (perhaps falsely) assumed I wouldn't be able to really immerse myself as max and in her reality.
    Not that i'm saying you can't connect to a character so different from your real self at all, of course you can but it's my belief the impact it has on oneself is lesser than if you were to play as 'you'.
    Suspention of disbelief I guess, the less work the brain has to do to fill in the details the more immersive the experience, as a dude playing a chick there's a larger disconnect than if i were playing a dude.
    Though it's largely academic as my original point was, in the case of LiS, it's so damn good, so well crafted that one is immersed regardless and that anyone reconsidering the game over concerns of that disconnect shouldn't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeBliss View Post
    Maybe I didn't explain my thoughts very well, i'm not particularly eloquent. I was kinda referring to relating to a character as it applies to immersion.
    I tend to gravitate more towards games with a character creator as i like, rather than be someone else entirely, to be myself, as close as possible, in that situation/universe, for me that dials up the immersion to the max (lolz), it's me in that world, making those choices, playing as someone entirely different there's an inevitable amount disconnect which is why i (perhaps falsely) assumed I wouldn't be able to really immerse myself as max and in her reality.
    Not that i'm saying you can't connect to a character so different from your real self at all, of course you can but it's my belief the impact it has on oneself is lesser than if you were to play as 'you'.
    Suspention of disbelief I guess, the less work the brain has to do to fill in the details the more immersive the experience, as a dude playing a chick there's a larger disconnect than if i were playing a dude.
    Though it's largely academic as my original point was, in the case of LiS, it's so damn good, so well crafted that one is immersed regardless and that anyone reconsidering the game over concerns of that disconnect shouldn't worry.
    I'll agree with that point, it's much easier for me to "be" Maxine than say...Artyom from Metro 2033, even those game offer plenty of immersion.