Thread: Game science

Game science

Hey there everybody. I wanted to share with you post I write after finishing game. It's a first part only because I don't know if I should translate second part. Maybe nobody want to read scientific theories behind Life is Strange?

Anyways, if you are not scared of science, here you go!

Newtonian determinism and Max Caulfield as a Laplace’s Demon.

In classical mechanics everything is simple. If you have an approximate knowledge of the initial conditions, and know the laws of nature, you can roughly calculate the behavior of the system, that is to say that you can predict the course of events for any point in time in the future or you can determine which course of events in the past led the present state of the system. Every moment of the past and the future is determined by the present. A little scary, because what about free will, right?

In 1814, Pierre-Simon Laplace theorized about creature which could make such calculations, and simulate the future. This wise creature was called later Laplace’s demon:

We may regard the present state of the universe as the effect of its past and the cause of its future. An intellect which at a certain moment would know all forces that set nature in motion, and all positions of all items of which nature is composed, if this intellect were also vast enough to submit these data to analysis, it would embrace in a single formula the movements of the greatest bodies of the universe and those of the tiniest atom; for such an intellect nothing would be uncertain and the future just like the past would be present before its eyes. (Pierre Simon Laplace, A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities)

Fig 1 - Typical Laplace’s demon plays with time

Newtonian mechanics is invariant under time reversal. For example, we play a video showing a ball being kicked and it is rolling on a stadium. When we zoom the ball and play the movie forward or backwards it looks the same. We are not able to tell which direction of rolling was the real one. In classical mechanics, reversing time is indistinguishable from reversing the direction of velocity vectors. Laplace’s Demon exists in the deterministic universe so it works reversible and is able to reproduce the past from the present.

Fig 2 - Guess if this video is forward or backward in time?

Let Demon Max play a bit with our universe. State of our universe is described by some microstate. She don’t know it, but she know something about the macrostate to which it belongs. Now if she reverse the momentum of every single particle in the universe and do some more transformations like changing particles to antiparticles etc. (we need that to maintain integrity of time reversal), what she will see later is evolution toward the “future” in which universe will collapse, stars and planets will be unformed and entropy will decrease. We will see history of our universe played backward in time.

Max's ability to know the future is tantamount to being able to rewind time to change the course of events. But keep in mind that time reversal involves not just reversing the evolution of a system (playing each state in the opposite order in time) but also transformations on the states at each time, reversing momentum, changing particles to antiparticles. Is it always possible to find transformation on the states so that the time reversed evolution obeys the laws of physics? Nope.

For the demon Max to be able to predict the future it would have to have the access to all of the information about the state of the world during the passage of time, all possible positions and velocities of each object in the system: the state of a physical system. In the real world, there is a constant loss of information.

Surprise, the universe is not entirely deterministic!

But the universe is not fully deterministic; it contains random, stochastic elements, and future events are based on probability, not certainty.

The microscopic world of particles, ruled by quantum mechanics, is governed by its own laws, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that we can’t know both the position and momentum of a particle exactly. Measuring the exact location of a particle causes the momentum to become uncertain and vice versa.

Whereas, in classical mechanics, the state of a particle is determined by its position and momentum (a set of six figures: position relative to the three spatial directions and momentum vectors along three orthogonal directions), the quantum mechanical state of a particle’s wave function determines the probability of the particle’s possible states.

Although quantum mechanics seems like mumbo jumbo (what? Particle may be in several places at the same time?), then principle of reverse time is the same as in the case of classical mechanics: it’s possible to transform states in a way that time reversion after transformation gives full compliance with the initial theory. Quantum physics, however, is not invariant under time reversal; there are of course exceptions, such as particles, which can oscillate, but that’s beyond the scope of this article.

Uncertainty principle doesn’t operate in the same way forward and backward in time. Some phenomena cares about direction of time flow. Uncertainty principle tells us that we cannot know the position and momentum at the same time, so we can’t predict the future. Future is unpredictable and uncertain.

Arrow of time, entropy and decay.

What is arrow of time? It’s a distinction between past and future. All the events are always followed in the correct order, time moves forward and never backwards. In the life of the universe, as in ours, everything is irreversibly changing. Permanent changes are part of our life.

Let us draw an arrow arbitrarily. If as we follow the arrow we find more and more of the random element in the state of the world, then the arrow is pointing towards the future; if the random element decreases the arrow points towards the past. That is the only distinction known to physics. This follows at once if our fundamental contention is admitted that the introduction of randomness is the only thing which cannot be undone. I shall use the phrase ‘time’s arrow’ to express this one-way property of time which has no analogue in space. – Arthur Eddington

The universe tends to decay and disorder always increases, “there is a universal tendency to its dissipation, which produces gradual augmentation and diffusion of heat, cessation of motion, and exhaustion of potential energy through the material universe. The result would inevitably be a state of universal rest and death.” (William Thomson / Lord Kelvin). And although the idea of ​​cooling the Earth and the cessation of motion in the universe was already created in the eighteenth century, it was Lord Kelvin that probably created the concept of heat death where all the energy dissipates and the temperature equalize, so that all macroscopic processes cease completely.

What if in accordance with the laws of Newtonian mechanics, we will try to reverse the sense of the speed of molecules in a system where spontaneous process occurred leading to an increase in entropy? Will entropy decrease?

Arrow of Time won’t turn up one day. Every matter will fall into the stillness and stillness is death. Thermodynamically speaking, everything is moving in the right direction. The stars run out of fuel resources in the end, the temperature drops to absolute zero, life on Earth will not be possible.

Each system tends from less probable states to more probable. So it is possible, though unlikely, that the physical system spontaneously adopt a more orderly state. Broken egg can return to the original state, but it is so extremely improbable as cold coffee becomes a hot without any interference. The second law of thermodynamics is the tendency of the universe to move from structured, and what thigh unlikely state of low entropy, the more likely and chaotic macrostates.

Fig 3 - you cannot fix this until you violate second law of thermodynamics

In part two there's: chaos theory, butterfly effect, Chloe as a strange attractor, parallel universes and how looks my final Life is Strange timeline, because initial was like:

Sorry for my not perfect English, I'm not a native speaker. I hope that at least one person enjoyed this text

This is pretty neat stuff! Think you can post an external link to the picture so us lazy peeps can have an easier time with it?

Cheers.
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    This is pretty neat stuff! Think you can post an external link to the picture so us lazy peeps can have an easier time with it?

Cheers.
    yeah, a high-res version of your timeline? cant read or see stuff clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoManiac98 View Post
    yeah, a high-res version of your timeline? cant read or see stuff clearly.
    because it's surprise for now. You can't see my timelines without my scientific explanations

Quote Originally Posted by Vorchie View Post
    because it's surprise for now. You can't see my timelines without my scientific explanations
    i have read through your post, i was with you about 60% of the time.. you used quite a lot of words that i haven't read or learn't before and google was just insane explaining them. i'm more of a computer guy, i did had some interest in science and physics but never got to learn a lot. now could you explain your timeline a bit please?

What you don't understand? I can try to exmplain more. I don't know if that's my English or general too many entropy in my text
    I will explain timelines. Sure. I need native English speaker who can edit my part two of text. I can't explain timelines without a bit of parallel universes theory and chaos theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorchie View Post
    What you don't understand? I can try to exmplain more. I don't know if that's my English or general too many entropy in my text
    I will explain timelines. Sure. I need native English speaker who can edit my part two of text. I can't explain timelines without a bit of parallel universes theory and chaos theory.
    the first thing i didn't understand, what are you trying to prove here? these are all scientific theories right? that don't really work or we cant make them work yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoManiac98 View Post
    the first thing i didn't understand, what are you trying to prove here? these are all scientific theories right? that don't really work or we cant make them work yet?
    Except Laplace's Demon (which is just a thought experiment) everything exist in reality. Surprise!
    You live in both Newton and quantum world. Life is Strange indeed

If you don't care about theory etc. short summary: according to all physics laws we know, you cannot rewind time but you can travel in time.