Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's how I made peace with ep5

Here's how I made peace with ep5

After being hurt, disappointed and angry for a while I took a deep breath and played ep5 once more. The goal was to find some sort of closure.

The game doesn't provide one, so I had to trick myself a little bit.

Here's how:

1.) Pick the bae ending. The other one doesn't exist, will never exist. There are many reasons why, which I'm too lazy to write down. Basically it comes down to: Max simply can't do that. Not to herself, not to Chloe, not to Joyce and David. Especially as long as there is no certainty that it will actually help.

2.) Realize something: no human being would simply drive off after a tornado hit the home town. Really bad people would start looting, selfish people would start checking what can be retrieved from the own house. Nice people like our protagonists would check for survivors. We simply have to assume Max and Chloe did that. Everything else would be utter nonsense. That means: a lot of time passes between lighthouse scene and car scene.

3.) We only see what we see. And we don't see any dead bodies from people we know. So, until they are shown dead, I shall remain hopeful that they are fine. And why not. A lot of what's going on doesn't present itself in a clear way. The protagonists make suggestions but they also just assume, really. E.g. the connection between Max' action and the tornado is just speculations. Chloes death preventing the tornado, just speculations. The tornado killing everyone: just speculation. So, let's not speculate too much and rather assume that everything's fine until proven otherwise.

4.) The car drive happens after Max and Chloe helped Joyce, Warren, Pompidou and all the others. Everyone is save for now and there's not much to do until the catarpillars and trucks arrive for the clean-up. Once the medics and whoever arrived, set up tents or whatever, Max and Chloe decide to take a road trip. This is weird, but understandable given the drama both of them have endured. Staying in the bay may be too much for them right now.

5.) A more artistic interpretation would be that the road trip is actually a metaphor for the new life Max and Chloe starting together and shouldn't be taken literally at that point.

I think it's weird that the audience is forced to jump through hoops to make the ending endurable. It will never make much sense, too. But there you go.

Feeling much better now.

No, Max can't do it to David and Joyce, she rather risks letting them all die! I couldn't resist.

I was angry and upset too, but then I replayed it again, accepted the predictable ending and... I like it now (I saved people of Arcadia Bay). So, that's how I made peace with Ep 5.

Don't read this if you don't want me to disrupt part of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFrog View Post
    1.) Basically it comes down to: Max simply can't do that. Not to herself, not to Chloe, not to Joyce and David. Especially as long as there is no certainty that it will actually help.

2.) That means: a lot of time passes between lighthouse scene and car scene.

3.) So, let's not speculate too much and rather assume that everything's fine until proven otherwise.

4.) Staying in the bay may be too much for them right now.
    This. So much this. I wonder how one would come to make wild assumptions of an entirely erased town and that Max and Chloe would just drive off.

I don't really see any of those has hoops to jump through, just a logical way to interpret what we are shown. I respect the choice made by some to sacrifice Chloe but it's not something I'd want to do and it's not something I believe Max could do given the way she talks and writes about Chloe so yeah, Sacrifice Arcadia Bay is the one we should both run with.
    You are absolutely right that we don't see confirmed deaths of any other named characters and only two unnamed. The town is supposed to be full of bomb shelters and people had about 4 hours from when the tornado was recognisable as a major issue to when it actually hit so plenty of time for people to get safe.
    Max and Chloe driving out of town makes sense to me, especially if we assume they've checked on people there first, as Max will probably want to go back to Seattle and let her parents know she's alive and well. I doubt she wants to just call them when they can take a 4 hour drive and let them know in person.

Umm... Every single choice was made the way Max could do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    Umm... Every single choice was made the way Max could do both.
    Exactly. Every choice can go any of the available ways. So please stop trying to rain on the parade of those who didn't choose your way and are coming to terms with and finding acceptance of the choice they made. It's an imortant part of moving on in the grieving process.

No, Max can't do it to David and Joyce, she rather risks letting them all die! I couldn't resist.

I was angry and upset too, but then I replayed it again, accepted the predictable ending and... I like it now (I saved people of Arcadia Bay). So, that's how I made peace with Ep 5.

Don't read this if you don't want me to disrupt part of peace.
    Interesting question: what is worse, dying or losing your whole family one by one. I suppose it depends on what death feels like

Thanks for the spoiler tag. True, Evan and trucker are dead (if in that timeline everything is happening exactly like in the "pre-jump through the vortex-party selfie" one.) The other ones, not so sure.

And those two are not reeeeally hmmm how can I say it politely...

Quote Originally Posted by PalatineKatinka View Post
    Exactly. Every choice can go any of the available ways. So please stop trying to rain on the parade of those who didn't choose your way and are coming to terms with and finding acceptance of the choice they made. It's an imortant part of moving on in the grieving process.
    haha

There is a fine line between coming to terms with something whilst not being oblivious to facts and running around in circles with hands on both ears yelling "lalalalalalala".

I prefer the first for shure.

Reading all this, it has dawned on me that this ending as presented literally--and I honestly do mean "literally"--does not improve in any appreciable way over the player keeping their eyes closed for the same length of time.

Seriously, all this ending tells us is that rain does bad things to buildings and that Chloe knows how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPepsi View Post
    Reading all this, it has dawned on me that this ending as presented literally--and I honestly do mean "literally"--does not improve in any appreciable way over the player keeping their eyes closed for the same length of time.

Seriously, all this ending tells us is that rain does bad things to buildings and that Chloe knows how to drive.
    Well there's this moment where Chloe comforts Max. That's nice.

Well there's this moment where Chloe comforts Max. That's nice.
    It still annoys me that I have no clue where Chloe got the new ring...

Her car is kinda messy... no? Who knows what's to find for a girl in dire need of a new ring.

Quote Originally Posted by PalatineKatinka View Post
    Wait. I never did that.

Wait. I never did that.
    Oh. Okay. My bad. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehkeri View Post
    It still annoys me that I have no clue where Chloe got the new ring...
    I wouldn't be surprised it is William's wedding ring, she might have picked it up from the his belongings in the garage at some point.
    I found it looked kinda big on her finger.
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised it is William's wedding ring, she might have picked it up from the his belongings in the garage at some point.
    I found it looked kinda big on her finger.
    It's possible. That would mean they either stop at the Price house after the storm or Chloe just carries around an extra ring. I mean... I guess that could happen?

I know I've said this before, but I really, really hate when things are left TOO open. Some ambiguity is nice and all, but too much is... too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehkeri View Post
    It's possible. That would mean they either stop at the Price house after the storm or Chloe just carries around an extra ring. I mean... I guess that could happen?

I know I've said this before, but I really, really hate when things are left TOO open. Some ambiguity is nice and all, but too much is... too much.
    I would like to think that they would have stopped there to pick up some stuff, but then there could be more content in that ending for sure.

After being hurt, disappointed and angry for a while I took a deep breath and played ep5 once more. The goal was to find some sort of closure.

The game doesn't provide one, so I had to trick myself a little bit.

Here's how:

1.) Pick the bae ending. The other one doesn't exist, will never exist. There are many reasons why, which I'm too lazy to write down. Basically it comes down to: Max simply can't do that. Not to herself, not to Chloe, not to Joyce and David. Especially as long as there is no certainty that it will actually help.

2.) Realize something: no human being would simply drive off after a tornado hit the home town. Really bad people would start looting, selfish people would start checking what can be retrieved from the own house. Nice people like our protagonists would check for survivors. We simply have to assume Max and Chloe did that. Everything else would be utter nonsense. That means: a lot of time passes between lighthouse scene and car scene.

3.) We only see what we see. And we don't see any dead bodies from people we know. So, until they are shown dead, I shall remain hopeful that they are fine. And why not. A lot of what's going on doesn't present itself in a clear way. The protagonists make suggestions but they also just assume, really. E.g. the connection between Max' action and the tornado is just speculations. Chloes death preventing the tornado, just speculations. The tornado killing everyone: just speculation. So, let's not speculate too much and rather assume that everything's fine until proven otherwise.

4.) The car drive happens after Max and Chloe helped Joyce, Warren, Pompidou and all the others. Everyone is save for now and there's not much to do until the catarpillars and trucks arrive for the clean-up. Once the medics and whoever arrived, set up tents or whatever, Max and Chloe decide to take a road trip. This is weird, but understandable given the drama both of them have endured. Staying in the bay may be too much for them right now.

5.) A more artistic interpretation would be that the road trip is actually a metaphor for the new life Max and Chloe starting together and shouldn't be taken literally at that point.

I think it's weird that the audience is forced to jump through hoops to make the ending endurable. It will never make much sense, too. But there you go.

Feeling much better now.

I'm having difficulties interprating this response.

Are you expressing genuine happiness?
    Or are you refering to ponies to express the concern that the harsh reality of the game is not accepted for what it is?

Or do you just love Pinkie Pie (as any person should)?

Help me out here

I'm having difficulties interprating this response.

Are you expressing genuine happiness?
    Or are you refering to ponies to express the concern that the harsh reality of the game is not accepted for what it is?

Help me out here
    Rule #1 If you accidentally read any Xeva-q's post, hit your head against the wall three or four times, then go to surgery and remove the part of your brain which contains memory. It should help, works for me.

I think Xeva-q is just a cute little Brony

Maybe it's his spirit animal.

exactly.
    But of course i am.
    Rule #1 If you accidentally read any Xeva-q's post, hit your head against the wall three or four times, then go to surgery and remove the part of your brain which contains memory. It should help, works for me.
    So you do love me. You can just say it. Do not hold it inside.

You make the whole thread talk about me. That is so nice!

i love you too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    I think Xeva-q is just a cute little Brony
    But of course. Cutest and smallest.
    Maybe it's his spirit animal.
    My spirit animal is a beaver. I think. Or wombat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    exactly.
    Well, the harsh reality of the game sucks. Hence the endeavour to experience as less sucky.
    Life should be strange and not soul crushing.

Well, the harsh reality of the game sucks. Hence the endeavour to experience as less sucky.
    Life should be strange and not soul crushing.
    I think life (at least mine) is all of those 3, harsh, strange and soul crushing. But then it is also full of other stuff too, love, enjoyment , adventure and all those nifty things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast