Thread: Nosgoth State of Play: October 2015

Nosgoth State of Play: October 2015

Nosgoth State of Play: October 2015

Here's the forum version of our blog post. You can find the original here.

--

As we begin to say goodbye to the month of October, it is once again time to take a look at what’s to come in Nosgoth.

Before we get into what’s to come, let’s take a look at everything since the last State of Play. At the tail-end of September, we announced that Nosgoth flags would be coming to Rocket League, finally bringing the two Psyonix-developed games together. In October, Nosgoth Leagues kicked off Beta Season 2 and we brought major changes to the ESL prize structure. Midway through the month saw the Treasures of the Lost, giving players access to new weapons and lethal vampire abilities.

With that all said and done, let’s look at the future of Nosgoth… at least, the next few weeks!

ONGOING - Halloween Event

Staying inside this weekend? We’ve got you covered with our in-game Halloween event. Capture the Body mode has returned, bringing with it an increased chance to get Ghostly items (no key required). To top it all off, chest keys will also be dropping, so you can finally burn through a few chests in your inventory. You can find more on our two-day Halloween even here.

ONGOING - Nosgoth Leagues

Just a friendly reminder that Beta Season 2 of Nosgoth Leagues will be ending soon! The Season will wrap on November 1st so keep knocking heads until the buzzer!

If you’re late to the party, fear not; Beta Season 3 starts November 1st. In addition to giving you another chance at the cash prize pool, we will be offering a new exclusive reward for players ranked in Blood or Eternal. Here’s an early look at the new Vanguard shield:

We will also be bringing back party matchmaking (2 players maximum) for Ranked games. You and a friend can team up and be matched with other available duos searching for a match.

NOVEMBER - Lore Update

We’ve heard your cries for more lore posts and your interest in the Matriarch. Start mashing F5 on your keyboard starting next week and dive deeper into her place in the world of Nosgoth.

WINTER - Voice-Free System

We’re happy to announce that a new Voice-free chat system will be coming to Nosgoth later this year. These quick commands will allow players to easily communicate with their team without the use of a microphone. Combining automated chat commands, audio cues, and minimap pings, players will have additional ways to coordinate on the fly.

We’ll have more to share on the Voice-free communication system later this Winter.

WINTER - New Skins

Since the last State of Play, we received a lot of feedback on the Prophet prestige skins. We wanted to take your feedback and made some adjustments we think you’ll like:

--

And that'll do it -- another instalment of the Nosgoth State of Play has come to an end. What did you think of this month's edition? Do you have specific questions about our schedule? Want to make additional suggestions? [url=http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96]Then head on over to... oh, you're already here. Well then... let us know!
    Last edited by Psyonix_Ryan; 31st Oct 2015 at 01:46. Reason: fix link
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Lore is always good.

Voice free system is something that's desperately needed IMO, so I'm pleased about that.

I like the Vanguard's shield. Will there be a skin for the Vanguard to go with it?

The changes to the Alchemist skin don't feel significant enough. The problem was that tbe skin felt a bit to generic, even considering the 'united front' sort of theme the prestige skins seem to be going for. I didn't really have a problem with the fact that she wasn't blind, as it's common historically but not really a rule IMO. Plus who could tell under the mask. Personally, I think that adding some backlers like the other Prophet skins have would improve it a lot without needing to waste the work done so far. Have them gold/silver plated with a red veil draped over the back. That would look cool. Do you think the mask would look any good in black?

I'm kind of disappointed that there's no progress update on the new map. You must have some new screenshots or something by now. Still no news of tne Rahabim?

Any word on being able to upgrade items to mysterious in the forge yet or add stats to the devils, occult, molten, unique items etc?

Here are some interesting masks I found:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
    Someone might have suggested something similar to this one already, but this one is a bit tidier than the ones I remember seeing:

(click image to enlarge)

Some of them would need to be in different colours to go with the rest of the skin and others might need facial wrapping underneath them to stand out.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to shrink thumb tags even smaller?
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 31st Oct 2015 at 11:14.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Just wanted to say ... the prophet mask still looks horrible. It was barely changed at all.

State-of-play is also disappointing as a whole. No updates on the new map? New classes? Bug fixes? Come on now.
    Last edited by PencileyePirate; 31st Oct 2015 at 13:42.

I'm still super happy with the Prophet skin, myself. The changes are nice and fit with the Prophet's look, and she looks more like someone who would be a leader, who'd formed a cohesive strategy with the other factions.

Also can't wait for the Voice-Free system, that's something I've been wanting for a while! Just hope it's not too difficult to figure out how to work. D: Also love the Vanguard's shield design and can't wait to earn it!

As an avid Prophet player, I'm not too keen on the new 'on-paper' design myself, but sometimes things look worse on paper than actual ingame.
    I'm willing to wait and see what it looks like ingame before I start saying how much I dislike it.

Also, I just want to say for the first time in a patch, this has affected my ingame performance (mini freezes) and I have started crashing after matches. I like to think my GPU is what kept me safe from all this uptil now being quite high end for this game but it has finally started crashing which indicates it must be MUCH worse for other players with lower end cards.

Intel i5 2500k @ 3.5Ghz
    GTX 970 Asus Strix 3.5GB Vram
    16GB DDR3 RAM

As always, thanks for the update.

PS: Shield looks nice, does it spit fire?
    signature image
    aka: Hellsonix / LeMMy

The mask is barely different, indeed, but I want to be respectful towards the art team, in the end. It's already very nice they cared about our opinions on it. I just want to say : thank you, and wait and see. And art team, don't hesitate to modelize it with heavier changes (mask especially, and clothes) , and to incorporate wings/a backpack. I think everyone will be happy with it.

And yes, her blindness is a defining feature imo, Vampmaster. I mean, come on, what's more 'prophet' on the battlefield than a blind gunslinger ?

Originally Posted by -Shiro-
    The mask is barely different, indeed, but I want to be respectful towards the art team, in the end. It's already very nice they cared about our opinions on it. I just want to say : wait and see. And art team, don't hesitate to modelize it with heavier changes (mask especially, and clothes) , and to incorporate wings/a backpack. I think everyone will be happy with it.

And yes, her blindness is a defining feature imo, Vampmaster. I mean, come on, what's more 'prophet' on the battlefield than a blind gunslinger ?
    You can't simply declare the blindness as a rule just because it's a common trait in general myths about prophets, seers, oracles etc. It might be a good idea to incorporate it into the lore, but that's the writer's call to make.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Starting next season right after the last one? Isnt it a bit too fast?

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Ryan
    fear not; Beta Season 3 starts November 1st.

We will also be bringing back party matchmaking (2 players maximum) for Ranked games. You and a friend can team up and be matched with other available duos searching for a match.
    Well at least there's that.

We’re happy to announce that a new Voice-free chat system will be coming to Nosgoth later this year. These quick commands will allow players to easily communicate with their team without the use of a microphone. Combining automated chat commands, audio cues, and minimap pings, players will have additional ways to coordinate on the fly.
    Ok - this is a much appreciated addition.

"NOVEMBER - Lore Update. We’ve heard your cries for more lore posts and your interest in the Matriarch. Start mashing F5 on your keyboard starting next week and dive deeper into her place in the world of Nosgoth."

HA! Victory!

Do this as the Matriach and you'll have earned massive brownie points. (consult D-Cab if you have to for something extra nice and more brownie points)

Just skimmed and caught the Prophet skin. Gotta say, the hood and shoulder thingies, I like those changes.

But the actual mask? You just took out the eyeholes. (Doesn't the default Prophet have eyeholes? I've never really understood the backlash on that bit...)
    The overall look of it is still unoriginal - because it's still just "ooh, a skull!" We got that already with the Scout, c'mon...

And still no backlers?

Voice-free system, yes. More lore, yes. Prophet skin changes...Nice, but ultimately missing the bigger points of the feedback - we don't want ANOTHER skull, especially one as goofy looking as that. I mean, what animal does that belong to with that elongated front bit, a mole rat?
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 31st Oct 2015 at 19:26.

Well since this thread contains an official update, it makes sense to respond here but I just continued inside the feedback thread. TL;DR for my input is: We didn't need covered eyeholes, we needed an entirely new mask. No one loves this mask! Personally I'd prefer a more spiritual style to her clothing as well. Cheers

too bad no info about performance issue and bugfixes about terrible ranked, leavers and so on.

As suggested by another user, what the elite prophet needs it's a Vampire skull; Summoner use in human skin in is evolved form... welp let the Prophet use a summoner Skull .

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    You can't simply declare the blindness as a rule just because it's a common trait in general myths about prophets, seers, oracles etc. It might be a good idea to incorporate it into the lore, but that's the writer's call to make.
    Now that sound a bit like a basic opposition because I said so... but it's not only a "common trait in general myths about prophets, etc...", it's also clearly written on the blog :

"Imbibing potentially lethal doses of the black blood, the ranks of the Prophets put their bodies into a state of toxic shock from which barely half emerged alive. Those who do are permanently altered – blinded, their lips stained and their own blood tainted for as long as their hearts continue to beat."

and present on every skin designed - one eye hole for the woods witch, and the face of Malus ones seems simply blackened.

Now that sound a bit like a basic opposition because I said so... but it's not only a "common trait in general myths about prophets, etc...", it's also clearly written on the blog :

"Imbibing potentially lethal doses of the black blood, the ranks of the Prophets put their bodies into a state of toxic shock from which barely half emerged alive. Those who do are permanently altered – blinded, their lips stained and their own blood tainted for as long as their hearts continue to beat."

and present on every skin designed - one eye hole for the woods witch, and the face of Malus ones seems simply blackened.
    Someone else mentioned the blindness in thr other Prophet skin thread, so I checked the blog and it turned out I had missed that line. Either way, it's not like the eye holes would be of any hindrance to their ability to fight. I guess it might be a slight advantage to cover them up if vampires were likely to target their eyes, but not by much. It would hurt, but so would and other part of their body. I guess keeping with what I said about integrating with society, and looking respectable, they might want to cover any grossness in their eyes if they were whited out like Moebius's or really bloodshot or something. They could still paint eyes on their masks if they wanted to. I don't think it's that relevant myself though.

Someone else mentioned the blindness in thr other Prophet skin thread, so I checked the blog and it turned out I had missed that line. Either way, it's not like the eye holes would be of any hindrance to their ability to fight. I guess it might be a slight advantage to cover them up if vampires were likely to target their eyes, but not by much. It would hurt, but so would and other part of their body. I guess keeping with what I said about integrating with society, and looking respectable, they might want to cover any grossness in their eyes if they were whited out like Moebius's or really bloodshot or something. They could still paint eyes on their masks if they wanted to. I don't think it's that relevant myself though.
    I never said it has a practical purpose The discussion was about her look. Her look and lore references (congruent with, as you mentionned multiple times, the "Elite" factions characteristics).

''If you’re late to the party, fear not; Beta Season 3 starts November 1st. ''

Any further information about this? usually it's open at 4pm but it's just greyed out.. was actually quite excited to see how much different duoqueue is from soloqueue, but I guess I won't be able to check that out today.

Wouldnt it be better to actually wait before launching a new season with all the problems the previous one had ? Like i dont know, a poll / post to list what was good enough to keep, and bad enough to throw away ?
    You are doing it like everything was ok and smooth to play, when the whole thing was subject to many exploits, problems and the like .

Once again, you are just doing whatever you feel like without even hearing customers complains, nice .

20. Either the date in the blog or something with the patch was wrong and it did not launch properly. Guess we will hear more tomorrow when the Psyonix staff is in the office again.

Originally Posted by enkaku-silence-
    Either the date in the blog or something with the patch was wrong and it did not launch properly. Guess we will hear more tomorrow when the Psyonix staff is in the office again.
    If you start the game, and look at the ingame message at the bottom left, it says "Beta Season 3 is from November 2nd to 30th".
    So I guess the blog post is flawed.
    signature image

Maybe they'd paint Azimuth's eye(s) on it. Just a straight eyeless skull seems like it'd look weird in a bad way.

The mask is barely different, indeed, but I want to be respectful towards the art team, in the end. It's already very nice they cared about our opinions on it. I just want to say : thank you, and wait and see. And art team, don't hesitate to modelize it with heavier changes (mask especially, and clothes) , and to incorporate wings/a backpack. I think everyone will be happy with it.

You are welcome. The process of picking the final design is an agonizing one but at least we had time to make some adjustments instead of scrapping the whole thing (which would have been a massive setback).

Originally Posted by Nosmer
    Starting next season right after the last one? Isnt it a bit too fast?
    Given that we only had a few seasons so far, it is hard to say if it is too soon. We do know that Leagues has been the most popular mode since it started in Nosgoth, so that may be part of the decision. We may adjust the timing a bit more going forward, but we'll let you know if and when that happens.

Oh, HAI Da_Wolv! Good to see you! We're happy with the new additions, too. Voice-free is still in the early stages of development but hopefully we can get some version of it out to you guys soon.

Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    "NOVEMBER - Lore Update. We’ve heard your cries for more lore posts and your interest in the Matriarch. Start mashing F5 on your keyboard starting next week and dive deeper into her place in the world of Nosgoth."

HA! Victory!
    INDEED! Glad we can bring some to you. Originally we were asking for something to add to the State of Play, but we got much more than expected.

Originally Posted by riccetto80
    too bad no info about performance issue and bugfixes about terrible ranked, leavers and so on.
    We didn't get any info on these in time for the State of Play but there are always some in our patches. We'll get some specifics for the next patch we roll out.

I hope the trade system will be added soon...

Originally Posted by Zarxiel93
    I hope the trade system will be added soon...
    We've directly responded to this in the past, but the Trade System not being worked on at this time. We will update you at a later date when it becomes prioritized.