Thread: The nightmare don't have sense. (SPOILERS)

The nightmare don't have sense. (SPOILERS)

First, Max is in the infinite rooms, and in one, we must go to Rachel place (In that moment i was thinking that Rachel and Max thing it was explained, but nothing). In one of they, we become Victoria...

Second, we must hide of Jefferson, ok, this have sense, but later, we must hide of Warren and cia?

Third, wen Max talk to Max, telling that Chloe is a bad person and that her was using Max.

Fourth, When Chloe is kissing with Warren and insulting Max, what it's the sense of all of this? I don't think that Chloe is bad or something, i don't see the sense in all of this.

Sorry for my bad english.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadiagamer View Post
    First, Max is in the infinite rooms, and in one, we must go to Rachel place (In that moment i was thinking that Rachel and Max thing it was explained, but nothing). In one of they, we become Victoria...

Second, we must hide of Jefferson, ok, this have sense, but later, we must hide of Warren and cia?

Third, wen Max talk to Max, telling that Chloe is a bad person and that her was using Max.

Fourth, When Chloe is kissing with Warren and insulting Max, what it's the sense of all of this? I don't think that Chloe is bad or something, i don't see the sense in all of this.

Sorry for my bad english.
    You said it in the title of the thread. It is Max's nightmare, she is imagining her worst fears and thoughts, when we dream, the brain mixes all the things it gathered and things become symbols.

Yes, i think that too, but i not see right just right before the end of the game that the devs tell us that Chloe is bad.

Another thing i forgot to tell, Max in love with Jefferson xD.

I found that the nightmare was quite clever.

In one way it plays with Max's fear of being found out (people finding out what she is up to). All the stuff with Chloe,Warren and Victoria along with the walk where you see all the memories with Chloe is setting you up for the final choice, as in the game is playing with you feelings a bit.

When Max talks to herself in the Two Whales diner, I think that is just Max's guilt manifesting itself, and some of those thing you actually do in the game rewind time to give all the right answers like when you are getting the keys to Frank's RV.
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadiagamer View Post
    Yes, i think that too, but i not see right just right before the end of the game that the devs tell us that Chloe is bad.

Another thing i forgot to tell, Max in love with Jefferson xD.
    They weren't telling us that Chloe is bad,it was Max's fear of Chloe not liking her (Chloe was telling in the nightmare what Max thinks about herself, that she is childish, cannot compare to her etc.).

Okay, my wife is playing EP5 at the moment and she's at the nightmare scene, more specifically at the path of memories with Chloe. She paused the game and put down the controller with a smirk. I asked why she's smirking and what she's thinking. All she said was, and I quote, "I know what this scene is. What it's telling me. I know how this will end". When I asked for more details, she refused to say.

I have never seen her like this. Should I be scared?

Quote Originally Posted by Lehkeri View Post
    Okay, my wife is playing EP5 at the moment and she's at the nightmare scene, more specifically at the path of memories with Chloe. She paused the game and put down the controller with a smirk. I asked why she's smirking and what she's thinking. All she said was, and I quote, "I know what this scene is. What it's telling me. I know how this will end". When I asked for more details, she refused to say.

I have never seen her like this. Should I be scared?
    I would be curious. Just ask her when the nightmare scene is over.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    I would be curious. Just ask her when the nightmare scene is over.
    So, if anyone's interested, here are my wife's thoughts on the ending she chose.

She took a rather long pause during the nightmare scene at the path of memories with Chloe. She also looked very triumphant, which was rather scary, to be honest. Anyway, at the cliff, she made her decision very quickly, followed by some sort of "a-ha! I knew it" -squeal. It seemed to be very easy choice for her.

After the credits, I asked what she thought of the game and, I'll be as specific as I can, here's the answer. I'll put them in quotes, even though something gets lost in translastion.

"The nightmare scene was very well done. It was clearly Max's subconscious interacting with her, her fears and hopes, all she did. But at the diner, I knew what they wanted. They were trying to deceive me, the player. Make the player feel guilty. At that moment I knew they'd have an ending which would need time travel. Every time Max used her time travel powers, something went wrong. She went to fix her own previous fixes. All those people at the diner, telling Max not to let them die, to save them are only there to goat her to user her power "one more time". There can't be that one more time. You can't fix mistakes with more mistakes.

So the ending was easy for me. They tried to make me feel guilty, to make me use those powers one more time. No. Even if it would work, all the work Max, MY MAX, went through would be in vain. Chloe would not know her best friend, her soulmate, still loved her. She would die alone, lying on the bathroom floor, feeling betrayed by the world. That is not the way. The only way to win, is not to play"
    (Okay, I really loved her Wargames reference. I use that alot in many places).

So to her, it was an easy choice and the nightmare scene was the one that reinforced her beliefs. Do you agree with her?

My wife is not a gamer. This was the ONLY game she played with a passion. She loves reading books and loves stories as much as I. Dontnod made a game which she wanted to play. That is a feat worth remembering.

So, if anyone's interested, here are my wife's thoughts on the ending she chose.

She took a rather long pause during the nightmare scene at the path of memories with Chloe. She also looked very triumphant, which was rather scary, to be honest. Anyway, at the cliff, she made her decision very quickly, followed by some sort of "a-ha! I knew it" -squeal. It seemed to be very easy choice for her.

After the credits, I asked what she thought of the game and, I'll be as specific as I can, here's the answer. I'll put them in quotes, even though something gets lost in translastion.

"The nightmare scene was very well done. It was clearly Max's subconscious interacting with her, her fears and hopes, all she did. But at the diner, I knew what they wanted. They were trying to deceive me, the player. Make the player feel guilty. At that moment I knew they'd have an ending which would need time travel. Every time Max used her time travel powers, something went wrong. She went to fix her own previous fixes. All those people at the diner, telling Max not to let them die, to save them are only there to goat her to user her power "one more time". There can't be that one more time. You can't fix mistakes with more mistakes.

So the ending was easy for me. They tried to make me feel guilty, to make me use those powers one more time. No. Even if it would work, all the work Max, MY MAX, went through would be in vain. Chloe would not know her best friend, her soulmate, still loved her. She would die alone, lying on the bathroom floor, feeling betrayed by the world. That is not the way. The only way to win, is not to play"
    (Okay, I really loved her Wargames reference. I use that alot in many places).

So to her, it was an easy choice and the nightmare scene was the one that reinforced her beliefs. Do you agree with her?

My wife is not a gamer. This was the ONLY game she played with a passion. She loves reading books and loves stories as much as I. Dontnod made a game which she wanted to play. That is a feat worth remembering.
    I had similar thoughts when I was going through the nightmare and I took me like an good hour to walk past all the memories with
    Chloe. I did choose to let Chloe die at the end, did she opt for the same ?

I am not much of a gamer, or I at least do not claim that title. I do spend most of my time playing games, with a passion every time. I love interesting and good stories, I am finding more of it in gaming these days, and as a medium, games are an interesting way to tell a story.

Seem you are lucky/blessed when it comes to your wife.

Thank you!

By the way, a friend pointed out a thing I totally missed in the nightmare scene. At the end of the diner scene, Chloe comes and talks to the other Max. The last thing Chloe says is "This is reality" and it transforms into the path of memories scene. That line seems important somehow. Any ideas?

Thank you!

By the way, a friend pointed out a thing I totally missed in the nightmare scene. At the end of the diner scene, Chloe comes and talks to the other Max. The last thing Chloe says is "This is reality" and it transforms into the path of memories scene. That line seems important somehow. Any ideas?
    I think Chloe might be referring to what is about to come is somehow reflective of reality as Max sees it. I am however not 100% on this , but I might be playing through it after work, so I'll add something if my brain figures something out.

Thank you!

I would say the other Max is an embodiment of Max's self-doubt and guilt about her own actions. Most of the characters she sees in her dreams are quite different from how Max experienced them in the real world. e.g. Warren and Samuel chasing her, Chloe making out with Victoria, Kate cursing Max for saving her, etc. Everything is twisted.

And the scene in the dinner is the turning point in her dream where it turns from a nightmare full of doubt and twisted memories into a walk through all the pleasent memories Max and Chloe shared. That the appearance of Chloe snapped Max out of her doubt and reminded her what really counts.
    Like she is saying "Screw that. It's just a bad dream. Dont let it get you down. All this isnt real. I can show you what's real and how it really is."
    So Chloe is kind of an anchor of courage to Max to remind her of reality and her reason to keep going, which might explain the line she says.

Quote Originally Posted by ET_Red View Post
    I would say the other Max is an embodiment of Max's self-doubt and guilt about her own actions. Most of the characters she sees in her dreams are quite different from how Max experienced them in the real world. e.g. Warren and Samuel chasing her, Chloe making out with Victoria, Kate cursing Max for saving her, etc. Everything is twisted.

And the scene in the dinner is the turning point in her dream where it turns from a nightmare full of doubt and twisted memories into a walk through all the pleasent memories Max and Chloe shared. That the appearance of Chloe snapped Max out of her doubt and reminded her what really counts.
    Like she is saying "Screw that. It's just a bad dream. Dont let it get you down. All this isnt real. I can show you what's real and how it really is."
    So Chloe is kind of an anchor of courage to Max to remind her of reality and her reason to keep going, which might explain the line she says.
    Yeah, that's probably it.

One more thing, has anyone reversed the, uhm, already reversed dialogue in the scene where everything goes backwards? It's a bit different from the actual scene that happens in EP1. I wonder if anything's hidden there.

Yeah, that's probably it.

One more thing, has anyone reversed the, uhm, already reversed dialogue in the scene where everything goes backwards? It's a bit different from the actual scene that happens in EP1. I wonder if anything's hidden there.
    I did because I thought it needs to be done to get to the restroom. I wasn't looking around though.

Thank you!

Now that I am not buried in work (post office, xmas coming...) I can focus a bit more.

Your welcome.

I just listened to that sentence Chloe spoke, I am pretty sure she is talking about everything she and Max have build together, BBF's and what not, that is real, the memories. I hope that makes some sense.