Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe there is a chance we get a Director's cut at some point in the future? :)

Maybe there is a chance we get a Director's cut at some point in the future? :)

Alright, so there has been a lot of negativity around the ending of this game...it's sad that people need to use such vile language to make it obvious how displeased they are. I wanted to get that out of the way...

Now on to more cheerful topics: Since this is a pretty unique game and we will most likely not see something similar anytime soon (the desperation, the sadness, yet still that hope and naivete are just amazing imho) and since quite a few games that have been released recently get an overhauled director's cut or special version (QUBE, Strike Suit Zero, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin are just a few) I think to advocate a rerelease of this game with additional story and perhaps overhauled graphics and mocap might be something we could all benefit from.

Will that ever be done? Dunno...but it's better than sitting here all day whining that you didn't like the ending. That game cost me 20 bucks for 15 hours of game time, most of which were interesting, cool and heart breaking. That's a very good deal in my opinion and I wouldn't mind paying another 10-20 bucks to get some sort of Dir Cut. There are the rare occasions where I think it is justified. This game is more than a game...when people claim video games are art...then this is the game I would name, narrative driven, evoking strong feelings, making you think. There aren't too many games out there that achieve that, even giants like Fallout never evoked that kind of emotion, because ultimately they are more about the game play than the story, and you know you will pull through at the end and there will most likely be some form of happy end, but this? Hitting you in the gut when you'r down...I LOVE it. So if anyone who has a say in the matter reads this: I will pay you money to get this game again - shinier, prettier and more complex.

Life is Strange is a great concept and a good game, but it can be so much more with the right amount of resources and time. The framework is already there, it just needs to be polished up a bit more, maybe episode 5 could be more interactive instead of on rails? That being said, thank you from all my heart for this game. I hope it gets the recognition it deserves...financially, because we all know that at the end of the day, the sales figures and the profit are what determines if can ever experience something like this again. I'm only sad that I will never be able to play this game again and have the same feelings, because I already know what happens...that is my only regret. Apart from that...good job!

I disagree with you about the way how people talk about the ending. This is the most friendly and helpful community I am honored to be part of. And I am really happy of that because it shows what kind of people is playing this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    I disagree with you about the way how people talk about the ending. This is the most friendly and helpful community I am honored to be part of. And I am really happy of that because it shows what kind of people is playing this game.
    The post is originally from the Steam community, and most users there are extremely upset about the ending.
    I personally think, that DONTNOD should at least release something to expand the "save Chloe" ending. Someone from the devs said somewhere, that the ending was cut because of time and budget issues. Well, time is not that much of an issue anymore. As for the budget - a couple of still images shouldn't cost that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    I should have mentioned that I was coming over from the Steam forums, which are a cess pool of vile comments right now. Sorry.

Well, yeah, steam forums for Life is Strange is kinda hostile at the moment. But that's true for pretty much every game there. But as for the OP, I'd really, really want some sort of enhanced director's cut GOTY version with expanded ending(s). I'd pay cash money for it and buy multiple copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehkeri View Post
    Well, yeah, steam forums for Life is Strange is kinda hostile at the moment. But that's true for pretty much every game there. But as for the OP, I'd really, really want some sort of enhanced director's cut GOTY version with expanded ending(s). I'd pay cash money for it and buy multiple copies.
    Reddit is mostly angry too, as far as I can tell. And both have plenty of long, rational and detailed posts as to why.
    The ending does have lots of problems though, but the main ones can easily be fixed by an Exteded Cut.

I went searching through Mari's tumblr, but I finally found it. This link is to Michel Koch's (one of the directors of LiS) reddit and it's on his thoughts about the Save Chloe Ending.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisstran...f_the_endings/

"...there aren't too many games out there that achieve that, even giants like Fallout never evoked that kind of emotion, because ultimately they are more about the game play than the story"

You spoke my mind! Exactly what I feel. Before I am more into a game that's focus on the 'game' rather than it's story. But as time passes I am getting less and less playing such a game, feeling something is missing within...until Life Is Strange exist. Getting all the hype and excitement, I played the game. Tell you what, as I play further into the game, the story and characters grip my emotion stronger and stronger. Until yesterday when I was about to play the final episode...I CHOSE not to play because...well...I don't want to feel the 'feel' yet! Then today..I was like ; "fu*k, what am I going to do now?". The heavy decision, caught between desire and guilt made me chose to fulfill Chloe's request for a second time.

The ending could be much better, but well...since it's budget problem then I can't say much.

I wished for a third choice, that is Max decided to "trade" Chloe's life with hers. Sure I know about that Chaos Theory and such, but I think towards "something for something". One life was meant to be claimed, and Max think it's only natural for a requirement be fulfilled(though future altered). It's like the movie The Butterfly Effect. Exactly like Max, the protagonist tried so hard 'fixing' things through time travel but only to realize this simple thing "quid pro quo", always finding faults in his fix. Only by taking his own life, THEN he fixed everything. Why I wished for this ending? Because of how much Max care and love Chloe. And it's like...maybe if Max contact Chloe regularly when she moved away, Chloe won't be like she is now, she won't be dealing 'stuff' with Nathan, and that ultimately sway her away from that inevitable fate? I don't want to say it's Max's fault, but...it's like, Max has lost Chloe again and again, that grief and sorrow already enough to make her think it's not right for her to die, let alone those people in Arcadia Bay. That being said ; caught between desire and guilt. So the third choice is the perfect choice.

I don't know..my mind is quite creative in imagining things, especially things like this.

Yes when it is really that they didn't have enough budget then yes there is nothing we can really say but they tried the best maybe in the future they will bring some epilouge as dlc, patch or whatever. I am at the same thoughts with you Thanatos. When I reached the end were you have to choose, I really thought you can choose to sacrifice Max. I was a bit upset but I said okay then goodbye Arcadia Bay because it was what Chloe said to Max "Rachel and I we wanted to leave Arcadia Bay forever ..."
    Now Max and Chloe are leaving.

That was the choice I was feeling it would come to in the end, but alas, no self-sacrifice, maybe that way would have been "too easy", but I would have liked it as an option nevertheless. That way your choices at least don't get invalidated. Everything you did mattered...the good, the bad, the ugly and the world moves on...without you, but saving your friend and the town. Would have made for a dramatic ending I think and one that wouldn't require too many resources to pull off. Hope we maybe get sth like that in an epilogue or as I said Director's cut. Pleeeease! I usually don't beg :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dire87 View Post
    That was the choice I was feeling it would come to in the end, but alas, no self-sacrifice, maybe that way would have been "too easy", but I would have liked it as an option nevertheless. That way your choices at least don't get invalidated. Everything you did mattered...the good, the bad, the ugly and the world moves on...without you, but saving your friend and the town. Would have made for a dramatic ending I think and one that wouldn't require too many resources to pull off. Hope we maybe get sth like that in an epilogue or as I said Director's cut. Pleeeease! I usually don't beg :P
    Let's be honest, Max wouldn't belong in Abnegation. At least not my Max. I made her a bit selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerThanFiction View Post
    Let's be honest, Max wouldn't belong in Abnegation. At least not my Max. I made her a bit selfish.
    Well, my Max tried to be a hero and even sacrificed her friend in the end, so my Max is probably going to land in an insane asylum soon anyway. If you can really get over all this loss AND the fact you have/had time travel capabilities and made things even worse and stay sane then I would be really impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire87 View Post
    Well, my Max tried to be a hero and even sacrificed her friend in the end, so my Max is probably going to land in an insane asylum soon anyway. If you can really get over all this loss AND the fact you have/had time travel capabilities and made things even worse and stay sane then I would be really impressed.
    Maybe her and Nathan will become good friends then.

I'd really love a Director's Cut / Extended Cut. I mean, I'd love new endings or ending variations, but I think there are easy steps to improve quality of existing endings a lot and which don't require rewriting lots of the game. Of course, I'd be totally game for some deeper going changes and additions, too.
    Bring on new, changed or extended scenes

Still, here are some thoughts about how to start patching up some points I felt were a little rough about the endings' state right now.
    Imo, the save Chloe end is very "pale" in quality compared to "save Arcadia Bay". Here are some thoughts to flesh it out a little more.

• Chloe and Max just drive by the diner, their destroyed home town and dead people. Do they simply not care about trying to help OR did some time pass and they already helped look for survivors and leave now?
      If so, some indication to that would be nice. Also, why are there no "help teams" around? Someone obviously helped make the roads accessible and put blankets on dead people. Add a few workers / help teams and it's clearer. Otherwise it seems to me like a bit too much is left to imagination.
      The way this ending is now, seems a bit rough, not final.

In general, there is an easy way to add a little more resolution without having to produce entire scenes based on your choices: Photo slide show!
    Guys, you already use this stuff. And it works, with only little effort (there are games who utilized this, and games who patched up their endings after release)

Make a little "photo slide show" (you know, like when you change the timeline with help of a photo) and show a bit what happens to the people you knew depending on what you did.
    Example equations:
    • Kate dead + Stole fund money (+Storm) => Blackwell dies. (Bad reputation, loss of money, catastrophe combined equal the school won't survive. I don't think the school was destroyed by the tornado itself, but I might be wrong?)
    • David and Joyce alive + player not being extremely destructive => They get together again,maybe with a probability / randomness factor too. (Tbh after sending this post I just noticed that Joyce won't have survived because without Max' help, the Diner explodes. Or it should, I think. Or did some decisions cause David and Joyce to be together and David utilizing his survival skills from the army, giving them a change to survive together? )
    • You warn the homelss woman + sacrifice Arcadia Bay => She survives and helps survivors after the storm, possibly saving several lives
    • Some photos exclusive to sacrificing Arcadia Bay. Who survived and who lived? Is it dependent of your earlier choices? Remember, most of the things "we" did persisted physically in this ending. (Good way to engage with voices who said nothing you did really mattered. Show them how they mattered, if some people in Arcadia actually survived?) Why don't you give insight into the rescue, Chloe and Max (maybe?) helping. Funeral service for the people who died? You can even reuse lots of Chloe's funeral scene and rework it into a mass funeral.
      Basically, this stuff might be positioned in between Max and Chloe holding hands while watching the tornado and them leaving the town.
    • Some photos exlusive to sacrificing Chloe etc. => How does Max cope with all of it? Is that dependent on how you defined her character with your choices? Basically all of the choices don't persist physically, but they still exist in Max' mind. They are real for her. I don't really want the whole upcoming life of Max defined, but a bit more insight as to how your choices defined some points of Max' life after, would be nice. A small hint was given with the butterfly at the end, but a bit more would be cool, too.

I think you get my point. With only a little more work, especially on the sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending, those could gain lots of quality, imo. Your choices would have more visible consequences in the end.

With the ending choices in general, I don't really have a problem.
    But extending what's there and maybe adding variations or alternatives, would be pretty amazing.

Addition on October 25:
    • Really cool would be making an intervention in the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending still possible.
      Let's say you choose this end, return to the bathroom and all, but get cold feet.
      I think it'd be a great touch if you could just say "F**k it!" to yourself and repeat your mistake, to save Chloe after all.
      What would it change? In the end, of course, nothing. Just seems like a realistic and important character decision for me.
      Max should have a chance to change her mind, as I would expect Max to have this thought when her plan to sacrifice Chloe pains her so much.
    • On the other end, it would be cool if you could decide whether to keep or destroy the butterfly photo. This has practically no effect, but it would be nice if people could "keep" it, because.. you never know. That contradicts Max' "No more" statement, but.. well, it's a nice photo too.
      I could imagine a Max and Chloe wanting to keep it, just to feel like they could undo that decision if they ever came to that conclusion weeks later.

I think LiS has made some pretty amazing sales numbers and giving something back, now that deadlines are gone, will also help for a good future reputation and sales - not to mention, possibly LiS 2.
    Last edited by Painspotter; 25th Oct 2015 at 14:53. Reason: Another idea

A very, very good post! I really hope dontnod actually reads these forums.

Good post Painspotter.

While I liked the final epsiode for the most part, I think the "Sacrifice Aracdia Bay" ending lacked something. It could need a bit more explanation and closure. (Unfortunately it feels a bit like the Original Mass Effect 3 ending). And it feels most of our previous choices didn't really matter.

For example: Like I already said in another thread, from watching the finale scene it feels like everyone in Aracadia Bay died. But personally I think that's impossible. Some inhabitants must have been able to escape IMO. It would have been nice, if they showed us at least a few survivors. Including a few of the side characters (based upon our previous choices).

A photo slide show with some additional music would be a great and easy way to expand the ending. To explain things a bit more and give closure.

Edit: Just adding some suggestion like I did in the other post:

IMO the "Saving Arcadia Bay" ending just needs a little bit of polish and minor additions. There's no need for an complete overhaul or new endings. Just some minor additions would make the current ending a lot better. IMO it would be really easy to improve upon the ending without needing a lot of resources.

- add a few shots showing some survivors of Arcadia Bay
    - add a few shots showing that at least some of the minor/side characters survived (based upon some of our decisions if possible)
    - add a few lines of Max and/or Chloe, telling what they are going to do now. Where they will go now
    - add kiss scene between Max an Chloe (if they kissed earlier) [it's unfair that they will only kiss if you sacrifice Chloe]
    - re-add Max's deleted dialogue line where she tells Chloe that she loves her

Prior to the final decision there should be a little bit more dialogue between Max and Chloe. Explaining in more detail why Max should sacrifice Chloe to fix the timeline.

Please, dear Dontnod developers!

"Life is Strange" is a great game. It was a fun an emotional rollercoaster ride. The story and characters were awesome and unique. You created a small master piece, with just one flaw. A part of the ending (especiallly the "Sacrifice Aracdia Bay" ending) feels a little bit lackluster and unfinished. With just a few minor additions and improvements the ending could be much better and more what fans expected. So, I'm politley asking you to think about making a few improvements to the ending and polishing it up a bit. With just some additional dialogue lines and small shots/scenes, the ending would be the top of a real master piece.

Thank you in advance, dear Dontnod team. I'm looking forward to more great games by your company and hopefully some improvements to the ending of "Life is Strange".
    Last edited by Ross42899; 23rd Oct 2015 at 00:23.

Thanks, I am glad you two like my post.

Also, very well said, Ross42899. I do hope Dontnod takes a peek and does a few tweaks, it would be pretty amazing.
    Not sure if they are active here (I am new around here), but maybe the Community Manager / Managment sees and can pass it on?

Or maybe, if someone knows how to contact the devs, pass on a link directly? (I think some of them are on social media, or sending an email etc)

*edit*

I see they have some ways of contact:
    • Twitter
    • Facebook (I don't think they check this as much as the others)
    • Writing them a letter Which is actually not that much of a bad idea, but I think the online contact methods are simpler

I'm sure they won't mind fans getting in contact with "thank you"-notes and constructive feedback.
    Last edited by Painspotter; 25th Oct 2015 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Painspotter View Post
    Or maybe, if someone knows how to contact the devs, pass on a link directly? (I think some of them are on social media, or sending an email etc)
    http://www.dont-nod.com/contact/ this their homepage even with a adress to contact them.

Thanks for posting, CrystalXPredator!

I was just editing my post too, as I was researching ways of contact. They also got a Twitter account where they seem to be active on weekdays.

Thanks for posting, CrystalXPredator!

I was just editing my post too, as I was researching ways of contact. They also got a Twitter account where they seem to be active on weekdays.
    No problem you're welcome it seems they like twitter more ^^

So, I was still thinking about LiS (will that ever stop?).
    I do kind of wonder what stuff they still have floating around - partially in the game files, but not included, partially taken out of the game files - and what they could still do with it.

People had been theorizing about how the leaked level info connected to the actual ep5, were there more ends? Also there's of course already mentioned unused audio, for example from David.
    It's interesting to think about what this meant and what they maybe had in mind for it.

If any of you have more ideas or thoughts, make sure to post them.
    I sent this topic to Dontnod, maybe they'll take a look and consider it.
    (You're of course welcome to contact the devs on their twitter accounts / or via mail, too)

*edit*
    Myself, I added another thing to my original post.
    Addition on October 25:
    • Really cool would be making an intervention in the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending still possible.
      Let's say you choose this end, return to the bathroom and all, but get cold feet.
      I think it'd be a great touch if you could just say "F**k it!" to yourself and repeat your mistake, to save Chloe after all.
      What would it change? In the end, of course, nothing. Just seems like a realistic and important character decision for me.
      Max should have a chance to change her mind, as I would expect Max to have this thought when her plan to sacrifice Chloe pains her so much.
    • On the other end, it would be cool if you could decide whether to keep or destroy the butterfly photo. This has practically no effect, but it would be nice if people could "keep" it, because.. you never know. That contradicts Max' "No more" statement, but.. well, it's a nice photo too.
      I could imagine a Max and Chloe wanting to keep it, just to feel like they could undo that decision if they ever came to that conclusion weeks later.
    Last edited by Painspotter; 25th Oct 2015 at 14:54.

So, I was still thinking about LiS (will that ever stop?).
    I do kind of wonder what stuff they still have floating around - partially in the game files, but not included, partially taken out of the game files - and what they could still do with it.

People had been theorizing about how the leaked level info connected to the actual ep5, were there more ends? Also there's of course already mentioned unused audio, for example from David.
    It's interesting to think about what this meant and what they maybe had in mind for it.

If any of you have more ideas or thoughts, make sure to post them.
    I sent this topic to Dontnod, maybe they'll take a look and consider it.
    (You're of course welcome to contact the devs on their twitter accounts / or via mail, too)

*edit*
    Myself, I added another thing to my original post.
    God damnit! did they cut the half from episode 5 or what?! Sorry for my rage, but really when you read the possible scene they were cut the scene title, I mean how they named sound very interesting, could mean everything but my head is again thinking. I hope the petition will get it. https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...ife+is+Strange
    there are so many petitions out there it's incredible.

Jesus when you think about all of these scene's

Episode5Sub1=“Dark Room”
    Episode5Sub2=“Dark Room - Focus”
    Episode5Sub3=“Art Class - Focus”
    Episode5Sub4=“Plane To San Francisco”
    Episode5Sub5=“San Francisco’s Art Gallery”
    Episode5Sub6=“Max’s Room - Focus”
    Episode5Sub7=“Chloe’s Truck - In The Storm”
    Episode5Sub8=“E5_5B MainStreet”
    Episode5Sub9=“Diner - In The Storm”
    Episode5Sub10=“Swimming Pool - Focus”
    Episode5Sub11=“Cliff - In The Storm”
    Episode5Sub12=“On The Road - Ending”
    Episode5Sub13=“High School Toilets - Focus”
    Episode5Sub14=“Cliff”
    Episode5Sub15=“Hospital - Ending”
    Episode5Sub16=“Nightmare”

What really makes me sad is, that there apparently were bigger financial troubles happening. I've read some devs' social media channels and they seem incredibly passionate about the game. I read from NYCC where the financial trouble was mentioned and I can really feel the devs' pain when they had to cut short.
    Dontnod deserves so much success with this game. The vision shouldn't be hindered by budget constraints.
    Maybe too many people decided to just watch Let's Plays instead of buying. Watching Let's Plays is obviously no damage, but maybe that's a reason for budget issues despite being such a popular thing online?

I am very puzzled about the Hospital - Ending.
    Would love it if the devs would tell us what thoughts they had in mind. Or maybe even show us the stuff they already had made but never made it into a game, like a "BTS" video for the stuff they cant just re-add to the game.

Also, I did sign the petition you mentioned / the biggest petition found on google. Wow, over 3.500 signatures already and there are some good suggestions too. Some require more extensive rework, but some are quite neat.
    Go take a look at it, please, Dontnod. Lots of people care about both you and this game.
    Also left a link to this topic there, maybe some people come back here and leave cool suggestions.

It's probably a good thing people are getting a bit organized. Not the angry-pitchfork-mob-kind, but constructive, supportive and caring.
    On the Steam forums, for example, things are.. quite a bit more intense.

Also note that those sign the petition (I signed it) promise to partake in crowdfunding if one is needed for Dontnod to fully realise their vision. Or if they're happy with it, it's okay too.

Many people I've seen judge the petition as whiny entitled gamers throwing a fit. I see it as a token of love to dontnod, telling that we love their game and want to see more. And if they need our help, we're willing to do so.

I absolutely love this game. My wife says it's the best game she's ever played (granted, she rarely even plays games, so that's a feat on its own).

There's a new article on "PCGamer" about LiS and the endings. The author also mentions a lot of things the community complained about.

http://www.pcgamer.com/life-is-stran...0&ns_fee=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast