Thread: Life is Strange Episode 5 Reviews

Life is Strange Episode 5 Reviews

Examiner: 5/5 http://www.examiner.com/review/life-...e-year-nominee
    GameSpot 6/10: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/life.../1900-6416285/
    Destructoid 6/10: http://www.destructoid.com/review-li...d-316283.phtml
    God is a Geek 9/10: http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/li...finale-review/
    The Sixth Axis 9/10: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/10/...season-review/

Those are some notable ones that have come up so far. Critics seem quite split on the ending so far, as do gamers.

The people more miffed by the ending I would guess are those who were more deeply invested in it.

All episodes leading us to Episode 5 led us there with equal shock and awe so when Episode 5 took the obvious route, it lacked both of those qualities. It wasn't that Episode 5 or the endings were bad, its that the journey leading us there was just that much better. The writers really made a rod for their own back in that respect.

With that said, I honestly learned a lot about myself playing this game and the journey was the game for me.
    It will be interesting to see what the team at DONTNOD will come up with next.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by LordBattleBeard View Post
    The people more miffed by the ending I would guess are those who were more deeply invested in it.

All episodes leading us to Episode 5 led us there with equal shock and awe so when Episode 5 took the obvious route, it lacked both of those qualities. It wasn't that Episode 5 or the endings were bad, its that the journey leading us there was just that much better. The writers really made a rod for their own back in that respect.

With that said, I honestly learned a lot about myself playing this game and the journey was the game for me.
    It will be interesting to see what the team at DONTNOD will come up with next.
    Exactly! That's pretty much what I think. Anyway, season 2 has my preorder for sure.

EP1 9/10
    EP2 8/10
    EP3 10/10
    EP4 10/10
    EP5 4/10

For me, the big reason I'm miffed about the ending, isn't because I'm "invested" in the game... or it's story.

It is because the game was sold to me under the pretense of "Choices Matter".

Same beef I had against the whole Mass Effect series. ME1 and ME2 built upon this premise that your choices really do matter. Some people are dead, some people are alive if you do things just right. In fact, some of these things rely on you doing things JUST RIGHT the first time to ensure that everybody ends up in the best possible places...

And then ME3 comes along. Not only do they turn everybody into a "War Readiness" number that you have to absolutely maximize at 100% to actually "win" the war (unless you play online multiplayer, and that War Readiness you earn there degraded over RL time), but the ending was just downright terrible: Blue Pill, Red Pill or Green Pill.

Doesn't matter what you did. You could be ultimate Paragon, ultimate Renegade, or something in between and you get..... Blue Pill, Red Pill, or Green Pill. That's what you get. And then they added Ending #4 which was basically a middle finger to gamers who complained where everybody dies and the reapers win.

I feel that Life is Strange did basically the same thing with the ending of Episode 5.

Doesn't matter what you did... you could have treated Chloe like crap, or you coulda treated her like she was your lesbian lover, but you still get the choice of "let the town burn or sacrifice Chloe". That's it. Doesn't matter if Kate jumps, doesn't matter if you stood up for David or not, doesn't matter if you blamed Nathan, doesn't matter who you tried to get expelled from the school at the end of Ch2, doesn't matter whether or not you saved Alyssa any of the times you can, doesn't matter if you warned the old lady, doesn't matter if Frank is dead or alive, doesn't matter if his dog is dead or alive, none of that matters.

If you sacrifice Chloe, you undo everything you did in the entire game.
    If you sacrifice Arcadia Bay, then none of what you did matters, because either everybody is dead, or they got worse things to worry about and Max&Chloe walk away from it all, including Joyce.

That's what I have against the ending.

Don't tell me "Choices Matter" and give me a Blue/Red Pill ending choice that is static no matter what I chose during the game.

Choices do matter in this game if you get invested enough in it, but it doesn't say that "Choices matter when it comes to game mechanics". I got a feeling the reason for having these choices in the game is there for you the player.

Any reason you assume the love between Max and Chloe is sexual in nature ?
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    Choices do matter in this game if you get invested enough in it, but it doesn't say that "Choices matter when it comes to game mechanics". I got a feeling the reason for having these choices in the game is there for you the player.
    The game itself invalidates 90% of the choices you made in the game.

If you sacrifice Chloe, then you warp in time back to before you made ALL of your decisions. Therefore, everything you chose up until the "Sacrifice Chloe" option means absolutely nothing in terms of the game's storyline.

If you save Chloe, then it is implied that the people involved are either dead, or at the very least, their lives are turned utterly upside down and the choices won't matter anyways. Either way, Max and Chloe walk off and... that's it. No mention of the consequences of any of your actions at all.

Any reason you assume the love between Max and Chloe is sexual in nature ?
    It is just... implied to be that way? *shrug* Even if it weren't... that doesn't really change the fact that your choices are made to not really matter.

I think you kinda missed my point here.
    I was referring that choices matter to you as a person, a human being. Damn the game itself.

Well, you said a lesbian relationship (lesbian lover) witch generally means sex.
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    I think you kinda missed my point here.
    I was referring that choices matter to you as a person, a human being. Damn the game itself.
    It's kinda hard to really invest in my decisions when I can't even view any consequences of such decisions?

When I make a choice... and I later see the consequences of that choice, especially in the ending, then the choice matters to me. It's like in some oldschool RPG where you slaughter millions of nameless soldiers of an enemy faction. You don't care about them, because it has no bearing upon your gameplay, nor the story, nor the ending. However, in a game where allowing one particular person to die greatly affects the story and the resulting ending, THEN you care.

For example, Jade Empire. Jade Empire had a lot of decisions to be made throughout the game? And you know what? The game gives you an Epilogue that details the events after the game in respect to these choices you made during the game. Therefore, the player is much more likely to care about the decisions being made, because they can see the ultimate consequences of their choices which is the entire point I'm trying to make here.

Now if you give us a game like Life is Strange, and say "Choices Matter"... I expect to see that kind of ending where each major decision I made in the game has an impact on the ending, because it very well should, because that's how Life is. You make a decision, you gotta live with it, and the consequences of it.

Well, in this game, Max can make a Lot of choices, she can rewind and change her mind, but there's a point where she has to choose one or the other and stick with it.

But wait... she can go all Karma Houdini on us and make 100% of her choices not matter (because she warps back in time to before any of this happened) if she sacs Chloe. If she doesn't sac Chloe, then she's still a Karma Houdini because she can walk away from a ruined town full of dead people and end up being a sole survivor.

Either way, she gets to be Karma Houdini so the player doesn't have any reason to care about the decisions once they learn this fact.

Well, you said a lesbian relationship (lesbian lover) witch generally means sex.
    Chloe, several times, makes comments about making out, kissing, etc. Two girls who have a "sisterly love" don't talk about making out, and they generally don't go kissing each other the way Max and Chloe do at the end.

I've never heard of best friends (without benefits) doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Corinth View Post
    Chloe, several times, makes comments about making out, kissing, etc. Two girls who have a "sisterly love" don't talk about making out, and they generally don't go kissing each other the way Max and Chloe do at the end.

I've never heard of best friends (without benefits) doing that.
    I didn't get what you said because I didn't kiss Chloe in Ep 3. I want her with Warren. I hope she will kiss and make out with Warren in real reality.

Although I was a little disappointed that there weren't more varied endings, I still absolutely love this game. And I agree with KristaD,

Yes, in the end where you sacrificed Chloe, you pretty much undid all of your choices, but those would still be in your memories.

From Max's perspective, she would have been glad to have spent all that time with Chloe than to never have done that at all. So even if she had to go back and let Chloe die, she still had all of those wonderful memories she had with her in the timeline where she saved her from Nathan...

So basically, even if you lose someone you love (whether its a friend, lover, family etc), you still have all of those times and good memories you had with them, and that won't ever change no matter what!!!!!

Edit: Geek Remix's video makes a lot of sense to me. You should watch it, it might change your mind a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRmkwuqkw
    Last edited by RagdollZombie; 23rd Oct 2015 at 05:16.