Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which ending did you pick and why?

Quote Originally Posted by PHub07 View Post
    It was a bizarre choice for me....I just felt so empty about the two choices in front of me. I knew saving Chloe would be wrong....but I just didnt care anymore....the game spent so much time making us care about Chloe that I was just like screw it....well just stand here and watch the world end. As ridiculous as that sounds.
    Yeah. That pretty much sums up, why I also saved Chloe and how I felt.

I let the town die. I spent way too much time trying to keep Chloe alive.

My first ending, or the one I actually prefer?

In my first (and what I'm pretty sure will be my only) playthrough of the episode, I picked the Kill Chloe option because--and I'm being completely honest when I tell you this--I thought they were using reverse psychology.

"Chloe has to die to stop the storm? That makes zero sense because Chloe was dead for half the episode and the storm came anyway. They're hiding something good in that ending, I just know it."

I got to the cemetery scene where they actually showed Chloe's name on the tombstone before the reality set in. It was like finding out someone you respect and admire is a peeping tom. "Oh, Dontnod, really? That's beneath you."

I rewound to an earlier part (because this is the one choice that matters) and picked the abbreviated, cheap, Kill Town ending and liked it a little better, because "Learn From Your Mistakes Instead Of Fixing Them" could be thematically consistent, if you squint at it hard enough from a ways away.

But it was on this day I learned that, not content to tell a sad story, Dontnod will stand between you and the game and yell "CRY! CRYYYYYY, DAMN YOU!" Disappointing. I could have sworn they knew better.

And yeah, you might tell me "Logic matters not here! Abandon sense and give in to your feeeeee-feeeeees!" No, alright? Just no. Even apart from the absolutely jarring tonal inconsistency from Episode Four (which was all about logic and fact-finding), the gulf between where the game leads us to and what we finally find when we get there is so wide that you could call it "Lying to make the audience sad," and it would only be a mild exaggeration.
    Last edited by JohnnyPepsi; 23rd Oct 2015 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPepsi View Post
    My first ending, or the one I actually prefer?

In my first (and what I'm pretty sure will be my only) playthrough of the episode, I picked the Kill Chloe option because--and I'm being completely honest when I tell you this--I thought they were using reverse psychology.

"Chloe has to die to stop the storm? That makes zero sense because Chloe was dead for half the episode and the storm came anyway. They're hiding something good in that ending, I just know it."

I got to the cemetery scene where they actually showed Chloe's name on the tombstone before the reality set in. It was like finding out someone you respect and admire is a peeping tom. "Oh, Dontnod, really? That's beneath you."

I rewound to an earlier part (because this is the one choice that matters) and picked the abbreviated, cheap, Kill Town ending and liked it a little better, because "Learn From Your Mistakes Instead Of Fixing Them" could be thematically consistent, if you squint at it hard enough from a ways away.

But it was on this day I learned that, not content to tell a sad story, Dontnod will stand between you and the game and yell "CRY! CRYYYYYY, DAMN YOU!" Disappointing. I could have sworn they knew better.

And yeah, you might tell me "Logic matters not here! Abandon sense and give in to your feeeeee-feeeeees!" No, alright? Just no. Even apart from the absolutely jarring tonal inconsistency from Episode Four (which was all about logic and fact-finding), the gulf between where the game leads us to and what we finally find when we get there is so wide that you could call it "Lying to make the audience sad," and it would only be a mild exaggeration.

I refuse to pretend to be an idiot to enjoy something. I'm better than that. All of us are.
    I think that last statement is some what unwarranted at best, though I'll be an idiot if I get to enjoy something.
    Life is what you make of it, or atleast try to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KristaD View Post
    I think that last statement is some what unwarranted at best, though I'll be an idiot if I get to enjoy something.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Edited, and with apologies.

Yeah, you're probably right. Edited, and with apologies.
    Thank you very much friend.
    Last edited by KristaD; 23rd Oct 2015 at 11:16. Reason: I like flowers.

I agree with OP

Quote Originally Posted by Robsolo View Post
    I choose to destroy Arcadia bay and save Chloe. The reason being is that the whole adventure, the week Chloe and Max spent and all the choices and experiences would mean nothing if she died. You have to remember that if you pick the Chloe sacrifice ending, Max and Chloe went years without seeing eachother just for Chloe to get murdered before they saw eachother again. Neither of the endings is great but I prefer this one.
    I think the ending was too black and white too, it basically makes paints Max as a murderer or a mass murderer

I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. I don't know if it's a selfish choice or a bad choice by saving one person over many people. I just tried to make the decision I would make in real life, taking all the experiences, relationships and knowledge over the past week into account. I felt that no matter what decision you make, Max is going to have some serious issues after her experience. If you choose to save Arcadia Bay, you have lost the person who knows what you have been through, who can help you get over the issues that this power has caused without any judgement. Despite pleading for you to sacrifice her, I don't think Chloe actually wanted to die. So in this respect, Chloe gives you the freedom to choose what you want and in theory she would support whatever you choose.

Imagine having all these great experiences with someone and not having anything to show for it? I would be devastated. Obviously I will never have to make a decision like this in my life (THANK GOD), so I can't truly say what I would have done. I was satisfied with my ending. I don't think I would have been satisfied with the other ending even if Chloe survived the gun shot. All those experiences would be lost. Maybe it is selfish, but I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I felt it was a good way to end because the game had you make decisions that made a small impact at first and it led to this giant decision from which there was no going back. *Insert cliché statement about life* Haha.

Great game, I hope you guys all enjoyed it and were satisfied with the ending you chose

I sacrificed Arcadia Bay because honestly when you balance it out what is there for Max without Chloe? She was sort of bimbling through life with no real friends and the ones she did have were just sort of either using her as an emotional crutch for their own self inflicted problems or wanted in her pants and when Max was too busy trying to stop everyone dying he goes off with some other girl then expects to get in your pants because he believes you about the tornado that is already here.

The whole town is full of corruption from top to bottom and everybody is somehow involved in it. Did you see the list of drug sales? Everyone you know pretty much is on drugs. Yeah Chloe is too but at least she's honest about her problems and that she just wants to get away from that place because it's pulling her under into it's corrupt underbelly. All that evil you spent the game trying to combat could be stopped by letting the tornado hit and in the process you can take Chloe away from that place and make her feel loved again so she sorts herself out.

Plus the game tries to force the sacrifice Chloe choice on you and I hate that so I just picked the opposite but I did have some reasons for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MxMoondoggie View Post
    I sacrificed Arcadia Bay because honestly when you balance it out what is there for Max without Chloe? She was sort of bimbling through life with no real friends and the ones she did have were just sort of either using her as an emotional crutch for their own self inflicted problems or wanted in her pants and when Max was too busy trying to stop everyone dying he goes off with some other girl then expects to get in your pants because he believes you about the tornado that is already here.

The whole town is full of corruption from top to bottom and everybody is somehow involved in it. Did you see the list of drug sales? Everyone you know pretty much is on drugs. Yeah Chloe is too but at least she's honest about her problems and that she just wants to get away from that place because it's pulling her under into it's corrupt underbelly. All that evil you spent the game trying to combat could be stopped by letting the tornado hit and in the process you can take Chloe away from that place and make her feel loved again so she sorts herself out.

Plus the game tries to force the sacrifice Chloe choice on you and I hate that so I just picked the opposite but I did have some reasons for it.
    Yes, it does feel as though the game wants you to sacrifice Chloe. I did the same as you, for different and similar reasons haha. The town is majorly corrupt and while not everyone is involved, on the whole it really had to go. Well, in my opinion anyway. Plus there's Chloe, so major boost for the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay option haha. Bae>Bay :P

First i choice sacrifice Arcadia, but when i see it, i realize it that Max and Chloe that will be never happy with that end in my opinion, and i choose the another one. Don't like it either, but i see a more "true" end that the another. Personal thoughts.

And i am still refuse to pretend to be an idiot to enjoy something.

Sorry for stealing but i just liked this statement too much.

Well, I put this in another thread but:

Just completed Life is strange, and wanted to state that I loved this game. I would love to get into my experience with the game in general, but this thread is about the ending I chose and why I chose it.

So, I decided, after a few seconds/minutes, to let the town go. I did not want to, but listening to Max at the end there, where she was objecting to using the butterfly photo, made me think that she wanted Chloe around more than anybody in that town. Thinking of it that way, it was wrong to send Max back one more time just to watch her best friend/beloved (I chose the kiss option in three). I felt upset and it was definitely selfish of me to let the town get destroyed, but I cannot play this game again, considering that even thinking about it right now is making me want to cry.

Feel free to call me a monster if you want, or to agree with me, I liked the save Chloe despite how short it is, considering they have the chance to start a new life together (maybe in Seattle or somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefire21 View Post
    Feel free to call me a monster if you want
    You're a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    You're a monster.
    If joking, I laughed.
    If serious, I will not pretend that I was not a monster at the moment, no will I pretend that canon is save Chloe. I will say is that given what I know from the game, Max was reluctant to even consider going back and let Chloe die and probably just would not without me choosing it for her.

If joking, I laughed.
    If serious, I will not pretend that I was not a monster at the moment, no will I pretend that canon is save Chloe. I will say is that given what I know from the game, Max was reluctant to even consider going back and let Chloe die and probably just would not without me choosing it for her.
    Dude, it's cool. Think of it this way:

If you save Chloe, the moral of the story might be "Learning from your mistakes is preferable to doing more damage trying to fix them."

If you save the town, the moral of the story might be "Whatever force governs the universe is a psychopath with an axe to grind that's hung up on chicks dying in bathrooms and NOWHERE ELSE!"

Feel better?

Dude, it's cool. Think of it this way:

If you save Chloe, the moral of the story might be "Learning from your mistakes is preferable to doing more damage trying to fix them."

If you save the town, the moral of the story might be "Whatever force governs the universe is a psychopath with an axe to grind that's hung up on chicks dying in bathrooms and NOWHERE ELSE!"

Feel better?
    Not saying I needed to feel better, but still, good morals to learn.

Not saying I needed to feel better, but still, good morals to learn.
    Glad I could help.

Glad I could help.
    Plus, save Chloe allows the pair to fully explore their feelings (if the kiss happened), and allows for post-game stories of Max and Chloe.

If joking, I laughed.
    I think that Maxine is just strait-up terrifying person and there is no good ending for her. So, you are not a monster. Maxine is.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeva-q View Post
    I think that Maxine is just strait-up terrifying person and there is no good ending for her. So, you are not a monster. Maxine is.
    Y'know... I'm actually feeling this.

Because Max never, ever, not once, in five episodes, puts herself in a position where she straight-up loses. Yeah, there are times when she's temporarily inconvenienced, but there's always some hook that makes her look better in the eyes of someone. Even if Kate jumps off the roof, you get a parade of people telling her "at least you tried!"

Even the inciting incident of the game is predicated on her cowardice. She couldn't even tell a boy to get the hell out of the girl's bathroom. Even if he didn't leave, Chloe would have come in right after, and Nathan wasn't about to shoot someone in front of witnesses.

And when you think about it, Max could have solved everything if she was the one who got shot in the bathroom instead of Chloe: Someone dies in the bathroom, Chloe lives, the town lives, Nathan and Jefferson get sent to the pen, and there are no rewinds to make the storm worse. And it never occurs to her! She would never, ever put herself in a situation where everyone else benefited except her. She would never say "I'm going to do something that makes me lose, but lets everyone else win." That would require a commitment and a selflessness that Max doesn't possess.

Even the final choice reeks of self-regard. Sacrifice the town? Max keeps her friend at the expense of the lives of hundreds of people. Sacrifice Chloe? Max murders her best friend for no other reason than the ability to look herself in the mirror and say that she's not a monster.

But she is.

The Max-as-Villain interpretation is, I daresay, the only way these endings work at all.

I thought Handsome Jack was the most vile, narcissistic, self-loving, self-loathing, mass-murdering psychopath villain I would encounter in video games this week, but no. Hell no. It's Max Caulfield. Handsome Jack ain't got nuthin' on this chick. I mean who the hell smiles at their best friend's funeral? I mean, Jesus that's sick!

If only it were intentional. If it were, it'd be capital "B" Brilliant!

I thought Handsome Jack was the most vile, narcissistic, self-loving, self-loathing, mass-murdering psychopath villain I would encounter in video games this week, but no. Hell no. It's Max Caulfield. Handsome Jack ain't got nuthin' on this chick. I mean who the hell smiles at their best friend's funeral? I mean, Jesus that's sick!
    uhh....I am just gonna stop derailing. I have a thread on this subforum if you all want to continue this.

Saving Chloe was a no-brainer for me.

Re-watching the other end made me feel like a monster. Max aquired and used her power to save Chloe in first place - so why would she even think about sacrificing her again. She went through hell only to get to this point together with her. (This is something i feel Max should point it out exactly like that when she destroys the photo "NO F***ING WAY, CHLOE! I WENT THROUGH HELL FOR YOU!" *furious*)
    Think about all the memories of her time travels - these are permanent. She'd have to live forever alone with the memory of Chloe dying different ways in different timelines. If Chloe's destiny is to die regardless and it happens in a point in the future - so be it. Point is: you saved her for now.

Sacrificing Arcadia Bay on the other hand didn't touch me that much. Sure, there'd be victims, but the storm didn't appear all of a sudden and one might believe that the majority of citizens have been saved somehow as with most natural desasters of that kind (especially Joyce and the friends in Whale's Diner, they have been warned). However, they might be homeless now - all in all maybe not a bad trade-off for having Chloe. Also, think about the Prescott cancer.

Tool has written a song for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo
    It's a bull***t three ring circus sideshow of freaks
    Here in this hopeless f***ing hole we call L.A.
    The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
    Any f***ing time. Any f***ing day.
    Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arcadia Bay.
    (sorry for the many stars...)

That all is not much of a problem considering the situation compared to not having Chloe forever and ever.

My Max and Chloe learned to swim (among others, probably).

#Pricefield4ever #learntoswim #lettheworldburn
    Last edited by codemasher; 25th Oct 2015 at 03:45.

I mean who the hell smiles at their best friend's funeral? I mean, Jesus that's sick!
    As the butterfly landed on the coffin, Max remembered all the beautiful moments with Chloe
    Even the final choice reeks of self-regard. Sacrifice the town? Max keeps her friend at the expense of the lives of hundreds of people. Sacrifice Chloe? Max murders her best friend for no other reason than the ability to look herself in the mirror and say that she's not a monster.
    In your interpretation, everybody makes only selfish and hypocrite decisions. "You jumped in the water and saved life of that little girl? You did it only because you couldn't look at yourself in the mirror, you hypocrite!"
    And when you think about it, Max could have solved everything if she was the one who got shot in the bathroom instead of Chloe: Someone dies in the bathroom, Chloe lives, the town lives, Nathan and Jefferson get sent to the pen, and there are no rewinds to make the storm worse.
    Although it is a popular theory (and I believe it too), developers probably thought of the source of the storm as Chloe has to die in the bathroom. And Chloe and Max thought that too. And if it wasn't true and the storm came anyway, who would be able to correct it? That's right, NOBODY.
    is predicated on her cowardice.
    Because Max never, ever, not once, in five episodes, puts herself in a position where she straight-up loses. Yeah, there are times when she's temporarily inconvenienced, but there's always some hook that makes her look better in the eyes of someone
    Sure. She was the artist in San Francisco, everybody loved her, but she got back because Chloe and other people would die by the tornado. She sacrificed her bright future.

This is not a fricking fighting game or sporting game. Saying "She never puts her in position where she straight-up loses" feels the same weird like saying it about a movie. But if you really need to look at it with this perspective of view, you really think losing your best friend and having nobody to share the moments she remembers is a win?

Y'know... I'm actually feeling this.

Because Max never, ever, not once, in five episodes, puts herself in a position where she straight-up loses. Yeah, there are times when she's temporarily inconvenienced, but there's always some hook that makes her look better in the eyes of someone. Even if Kate jumps off the roof, you get a parade of people telling her "at least you tried!"

Even the inciting incident of the game is predicated on her cowardice. She couldn't even tell a boy to get the hell out of the girl's bathroom. Even if he didn't leave, Chloe would have come in right after, and Nathan wasn't about to shoot someone in front of witnesses.

And when you think about it, Max could have solved everything if she was the one who got shot in the bathroom instead of Chloe: Someone dies in the bathroom, Chloe lives, the town lives, Nathan and Jefferson get sent to the pen, and there are no rewinds to make the storm worse. And it never occurs to her! She would never, ever put herself in a situation where everyone else benefited except her. She would never say "I'm going to do something that makes me lose, but lets everyone else win." That would require a commitment and a selflessness that Max doesn't possess.

But she is.

The Max-as-Villain interpretation is, I daresay, the only way these endings work at all.

If only it were intentional. If it were, it'd be capital "B" Brilliant!
    The last sentence you wrote in the first paragraph is generally called comforting.

I don't think those choices are that narcissistic at all. I wouldn't want to be in Maxine's shoes when confronted with those choices, let your best friend die and save a town or save your friend and let the town die. I don't think there would be any walking away from it since both might die if you do. What ever choice you pick I'm betting Maxine will have some problems with both choices later on in life.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast