Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I get a signature and other vital questions.

How do I get a signature and other vital questions.

Others have nice pictures below their posts and you want one too?

Here is the most important information you need to write down on your left hand:

Max width: 450px
    Max height: 150px
    Max filesize: 30 KiloBytes

If your signature (picture + text) is bigger than the following example, it is too big. Don't use it.

IMPORTANT: width doesn't compensate for height, height doesn't compensate for width, filesize doesn't compensate for width and height and so on. This means:
    - You can't have very long but thin sigs
    - You can't have huge sigs which are only few Kbs in size.
    - etc.

Don't know where to get webspace?

Go to http://www.freewebspace.com/ (Thanks for the link, RebeL_fARmeR). Upload the picture you want in your signature and put the link to it into your profile like this (of course with your own correct URL):

[img]http://www.whereever.com/mysig.jpg[/img]

Don't use pictures that are stored on other people's websites.

Do us other members a favour and post your signature only once per thread.

Don't post signature testing threads. Test in here and clean up behind you! You can delete your own replies, you know?

I just want to know..

Does my sig look to messy..it seems to me there is just to much going on so if i can have any suggestions on how to have a "cleaner" sig...

Thanks
    My sig...

Formely Known As: Dagger of Xian
    myspace | last.fm

http://beifan.com/034dragon/34chinese.html

There are some quite good pictures there of statues in Beijing and I think Shanghi, that would make for a good collage.

I'll be back in a bit, with more 'dragon' research.

Or what do you think of this picture?

http://members.tripod.com/Stormbringer777/Lesser.htm

well the pics are very nice but i was meaning like maybe i should ask staticon to do i totally diferent isg using this dragon above.

i mean i think im due for a new backround..it just looks so messy....

What about, for the background, a foggy/misty morning, in the moors of Ireland? That would make for an awesome background. And then maybe make the dragon look like it's emerging from the mists.

Originally posted by Aquarius
    What about, for the background, a foggy/misty morning, in the moors of Ireland? That would make for an awesome background. And then maybe make the dragon look like it's emerging from the mists.
    Sound good....then maybe i can make a lockness monster affect

But thats i good idea ill ask statico to re-do my backround to that and see how it goess

Thanks!!

Big Grin New Sig ...

Hey, how do you like mine? Recognize the text from somewhere? I know you've heard them before. Try to guess what film or television series I copied this classic introduction from?
    Opera? What is opera? Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and instead of bleeding ... he starts to sing.

No, I don't get your sig either. Are you sure the site where you copied the picture from is ok? Just checkin' ... and tryin' to help here. C ya!
    Opera? What is opera? Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and instead of bleeding ... he starts to sing.

Originally posted by Godfather
    No, I don't get your sig either. Are you sure the site where you copied the picture from is ok? Just checkin' ... and tryin' to help here. C ya!
    well staticon is trying to make adjustments to the co.uk so my sig can show up.

*sigh*

[edit] staticon fixed it for me see: [edit]

Formely Known As: Dagger of Xian
    myspace | last.fm

Benefits of PNG

Originally posted by GoranAgar
    http://home.planet.nl/~xcom/art/sigwarning.gif
    That should really be a PNG, not a GIF. Sorry to sound all whiney, but it would do much better as a PNG.

That should really be a PNG, not a JPG. Sorry to sound all whiney, but it would do much better as a PNG.

Sorry for picking on you, Goran, but this just needed mentioning. However, I'm not necessarily directing this towards you, but to every one of you who doesn't know how to use proper image formats.

For more information on which image formats you should use according to the circumstances, this is a good guide/FAQ to read: http://www.r1ch.net/img-formats/. It explains in detail both the basic stuff and the advanced stuff regarding image formats. From how to save in different formats to an explanation on the effects of "artifacting" using a "lossy" format (such as JPG,) this is the guide to read.

Re: Re: How do I get a signature and other vital questions.

Originally posted by BDA7DD
    That should really be a PNG, not a JPG. Sorry to sound all whiney, but it would do much better as a PNG.

Sorry for picking on you, Goran, but this just needed mentioning. However, I'm not necessarily directing this towards you, but to every one of you who doesn't know how to use proper image formats.

For more information on which image formats you should use according to the circumstances, this is a good guide/FAQ to read: http://www.r1ch.net/img-formats/. It explains in detail both the basic stuff and the advanced stuff regarding image formats. From how to save in different formats to an explanation on the effects of "artifacting" using a "lossy" format (such as JPG,) this is the guide to read.
    That png format may look nicer close up, but the files are way bigger than jpg files if it is pictures you want to put online. "...the JPEG on the left is 31.8 KB (32,651 bytes) and the lossless PNG on the right is 106 KB (109,475 bytes)." (taken from that website you posted the link to)

As for the gifs, I couldn't reproduce their results in Photoshop, which might be because I have only worked with it for 4 years.

Therefore I won't start using the png format for my signature pictures today.
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Benefits of PNG (Part 2)

That png format may look nicer close up, but the files are way bigger than jpg files if it is pictures you want to put online. "...the JPEG on the left is 31.8 KB (32,651 bytes) and the lossless PNG on the right is 106 KB (109,475 bytes)." (taken from that website you posted the link to)
    Way to not read and comprehend the guide properly. The part of that guide that says the above is when explaining the advantages of JPEG for PHOTOGRAPHS AND RICH DETAIL IMAGES. Using lossless PNG in 24bpp or 32bpp depth is obviously going to result in very large image sizes. That's why you use JPEG in photographs and rich detail images, since the artifacting is hardly noticable. The guide also explains that images with low colour counts and/or less "dynamic" colour allocations (such as screenshots and simple line graphics) would benefit from PNG, since those are the kinds of images where the artifacting would be very noticable and quite annoying. The image format you should use is completely circumstantial. There isn't one universal optimal image format. There are times where PNG would be better, times when JPEG would be better, and (not very many) times when GIF would be better.

Also, if you want examples of how beneficial PNG can be, what better source images to use than your own:

sigwarning.gif:
    Code:
    Width  |  450 pixels
    Height |  150 pixels
    Depth  |    4 bits per pixel
    Size   | 3331 bytes
    sigwarning.png:
    Code:
    Width  |  450 pixels
    Height |  150 pixels
    Size   | 2442 bytes
    imgcode.jpg:
    Code:
    Width  |   759 pixels
    Height |    61 pixels
    Depth  |    24 bits per pixel
    Size   | 12654 bytes
    imgcode.png:
    Code:
    Width  |  759 pixels
    Height |   61 pixels
    Size   | 9858 bytes
    As you can see, both pictures are a lot smaller in terms of size when they are converted to PNG. In the example of the imgcode.jpg file, the size reduction of PNG is even better when you reduce the colour depth to 4bpp, and in the case of this particular image, there is no visible reduction in quality whatsoever as a result of the colour depth reduction. Honestly, I don't know why you were using 24bpp for that image in the first place, seeing as it only really has two noticable colours. If I were to tweak it out and optimize it further, I could reduce it to a 1bpp PNG with a custom palette, resulting in an even smaller size.

So tell me, what exactly is the problem with PNG here? (HINT: There is none.)

As for the gifs, I couldn't reproduce their results in Photoshop, which might be because I have only worked with it for 4 years.
    Feel free to use the PNGs I created for the examples above. Just don't directly link them to my webspace, save them and upload them to your webspace instead.

If you want to convert images to and from different image formats, I suggest getting IrfanView. It's a freeware image viewer that does everything that the more popular image viewing program ACDSee can do (slideshows, mousewheel cycling, etc.) and a hell of a lot more. You can also use it to convert images to different image formats, and if you have a bunch of images that need converted, IrfanView can do a "batch conversion" which allows you to manipulate multiple images at once.

Big Grin Re: Benefits of PNG (Part 2)

Originally posted by BDA7DD
    So tell me, what exactly is the problem with PNG here?
    Heehee, the remaining problem I can't tell you in public, I will PM you.

I will play with it a bit more, I promise
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Cool

Anyway, if anyone should ask ... my text in my sig is copied from one of thé greatest series of all time ...

THE A-TEAM!!!! (only a little adapted of course since we aren't talking about four sweating ex-prisoners, but one beautiful, stylish, hot and very attractive zuperzexy supermodel)

Testing sig

Does my sig show? If it doesn't, what am I doing wrong? It's a very small gif (87x128, 5.71 kb).

Re: Testing sig

Originally posted by Polar_Andromeda
    Does my sig show? If it doesn't, what am I doing wrong? It's a very small gif (87x128, 5.71 kb).
    Working great on my end. You're good to go!

Post Sig Test

I hope my sig works...

Re: Sig Test

Originally posted by Johnny
    I hope my sig works...
    It works, but it's way too big and in violation of the size rules. Did you even READ this thread? Jesus Christ.

(edited to enable sig to test it out)

Hows mine guys?

made it a while ago, and it still looks good to me. let me know if animation is against the rules, and I'll use the static version.

Anyway, there is an alternative host for sigs, and that is http://www.lycos.co.uk

The good thing about that place is you can host like 100 different sigs at once with their space.
    Heçtor // Othello[.od]
    Owning you in every medium since 1986.

http://members.shaw.ca/meleager/hector.gif
    Did I make my sig? Yes, I did.
    What did I use to make it? Photoshop 7.0 with the animations by ImageReady 7.0
    Can I make you one? I can, but I wont....I no longer make them for hire.

http://members.shaw.ca/meleager/od_linkage.gif

Thumbs Up

Great job Hålo! It looks really good.

Thanks. only took me like 20 minutes to make though. here is the avatar I made to go with it:

Testing...

Lightbulb

Ermmm, The Raider, you might want to read the first post of this thread... You know, about the dimensions of a sig....

Originally posted by The Raider
    Testing...
    Read the thread, moron. That's too damn big.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast