<table bgcolor="#808080" cellpadding="4" width="100%"><tr><td><h1 style="background-color:#D0D0D0; text-align:center; font-size:24pt; padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px;"><i>Deus Ex</i><br>Gameplay Problems FAQ<br>Windows Edition</h1><div style="background-color:#E0E0E0; font-size:12pt; padding: 2px 2px 2px 10px;"><p style="text-align:center; font-size:16pt; background-color:#000000; color:#E0E0E0; padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px; border:thick groove #C0C0C0;"><b>This FAQ has been derived from commonly asked questions on the Eidos <i>Deus Ex</i> Forum and represents the collected <i>Deus Ex</i> wisdom of the forum regulars.</b></p><p style="font-size:10pt; background-color:#E0E0E0; color:#000000; padding: 8px 8px 8px 8px; border:thick ridge #C0C0C0;">Answers to many common questions can be found in the <i>Deus Ex</i> manual and by playing the training mission.<br><br>However, since some legitimate versions of the game (such as a copy packaged with a sound card) do not include the manual, we have included a few answers covered by the manual and/or training mission.</p><ul><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I get onto the boat at the end of the first mission?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">When you right-click on the boat, you should see a brief animation showing the boat leaving the dock. If this does not happen, make sure you have completed all the goals listed on the goals/notes information screen.</span><span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">If you have completed all the goals and still cannot get on the boat, then you have a warezed version of the game. Your only recourse is to go out and buy a legitimate copy.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">Where can I find a walkthrough?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;"><a href="http://www.planetdeusex.com/denton/" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">Denton's Databank</a> by Chuck 'Absynthe' Simciak offers a complete walkthrough, description of skill points and weapons, login and keypad codes, strategy guide, and miscellaneous tips.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I use the baton without getting killed?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">In order to be successful with the baton, you must sneak up behind your target and aim for the middle of the back. If you aim too high or too low, your target will simply be annoyed and will kill you. You do <b>not</b> need to apply skill points to low-tech weapons in order to use the baton effectively.</span><span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">The baton is not a good choice against bots, MIBs, WIBs, mechs, commandos, or alert enemies.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I use the prod without being killed?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">As with the baton, stealth is the key. If your target is unaware of you, a single jolt to the middle of the back will suffice. However, even an alert enemy can be knocked out, but you'll need two or three jolts.</span><span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">The prod is not a good choice against bots, commandos, or mechs. Unalert MIBs and WIBs can be taken down with two or three jolts.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I get the scope to stop wandering around?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">When you build your skills in the weapon category and add accuracy mods to the weapon with the scope, your view through the scope will become steadier. Arm health less than 100% may not affect the scope view but will lower accuracy and damage inflicted.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I use an ATM, keypad, datapad, computer, security computer, or medbot?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">The right mouse button is the default for using an object in the world.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I install an augmentation canister?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">While the canister is in your inventory, use a medbot. You'll see canister listed on the top right of the medbot screen. Click on the function icon to see the capabilities of the two options. When you've made your choice, click on the Install button.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I upgrade my augmentations?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">As soon as you have an upgrade canister in your inventory, you can upgrade your installed augmentations by opening your augmentations information screen, selected the augmentation you wish to upgrade, and click on the Upgrade button.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How many augmentation canisters are there, and where do I find them?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;"><a href="http://www.planetdeusex.com/denton/equipment/augs.shtml" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">Denton's Databank</a> has the definitive list.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I find the sword arm augmentation?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">There is no sword arm augmentation.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How many upgrade canisters are there, and where do I find them?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;"><a href="http://www.planetdeusex.com/denton/equipment/augs.shtml" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur();">Denton's Databank</a> has the definitive list.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I hack a computer?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">You must be at least trained in computer skills to hack a computer. When you use the computer, you'll see a hack button in addition to the login and password fields.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I defeat Gunther in Battery Park?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">You can't. At this point in the game, you have no choice but to be captured.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">How do I save Paul?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">Do not go out the window.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">Where do I find Anna's killphrase?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">After you escape from detention, you can find the killphrase on two computers in the HQ. If you save Paul, he'll give you additional hints.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">Where do I find Gunther's killphrase?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">If you tell Jaime Reyes to stay at UNATCO, you'll have a chance to meet him later in Paris, and he'll give you the killphrase.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">Where do I find the login and password for the security computer right after the clone tanks?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">There is a datapad near the dead scientist in the pit area. In the GOTY version, the login and password were inadvertantly swapped, so you'll need to use the login as the password and the password as the login.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">Where can I find single player fan missions?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;"><a href="http://www.planetdeusex.com/dx1/files/singleplayer/" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">PlanetDeusEx</a> and <a href="http://www.deusex-machina.com/downloads/fm.asp" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">DeusEx-Machina</a> maintain lists of currently available missions.</span><span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;">Note that neither Eidos nor Ion Storm make any warranty with regard to fan missions.</span></li><li style="font-weight:bold;">Where can I find other Deus Ex online communities?<span style="font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; display:block; margin: 10px 5px 5px 10px;"><a href="http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdeusex/" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">PlanetDeusEx Forums</a><br><a href="http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=63" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">TTLG Deus Ex Forums</a><br><a href="http://tournament.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=60" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">Tournament.com's ISBB</a><br><a href="http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/" target="newwindow" onClick="self.blur;">Ion Storm's Forums</a></span></li></ul></div></td></tr></table>