Page 2 of 2 First First 12

Thread: No more lore posts? :(

No more lore posts? :(

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    No, it never was.
    Well, that might be even more ridiculous considering the implications of the skins...

Back when the marked skin was teased in the Crucible post, there was a post saying they'd explain that later.

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    Back when the marked skin was teased in the Crucible post, there was a post saying they'd explain that later.
    One can only hope.

On the note of lore, a close-up of the Gilded Corpse skin shows the exposed bone as being metallic. Silver. Very not-bone-like.
    I like to think the Melchahim have bought into the life-prolonging tales of quicksilver and treated their bones with the stuff amongst their other experiments. Sounds painful.

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    That would be my mistake, if true (I have been searching to no avail). But it would also be erroneous on the part of whoever said as much. There was never any intention to overexplain those skins; they're deliberately left open to interpretation. As I mentioned, Square Enix's own rationale is exactly the same as the popular one going.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

That would be my mistake, if true (I have been searching to no avail). But it would also be erroneous on the part of whoever said as much. There was never any intention to overexplain those skins; they're deliberately left open to interpretation. As I mentioned, Square Enix's own rationale is exactly the same as the popular one going.

They don't need to overexplain them. They just need to explain them.
    Leaving it to interpretation is a terrible idea. First because it's a potentially major thing. Secondly because any potential to add proper lore to the game should be taken, period. Thirdly because the popular interpretation is buried in the pages of some random thread and subject to change.

If it's left to interpretation, you might as well say they wandered into Chernobyl. And also that Chernobyl exists in Nosgoth as per the interpretation. And that the affected vampires all have Jamaican accents.

Their intention ought to change.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 26th Jan 2016 at 01:56.

Introducing the hylden as a direct influence on the events of this era would have major significance for Kain and Raziel's main story arc. That's something SE/Psyonix have been careful to avoid for this game. If they decide to do anything like that, they will need to plan it out very carefully to make sure there aren't any conflicts. Better to wait until they plan it out as a large scale story before delving into that. Or even giving it its own game if that was ever possible. If neither is possible, the explanation that the vampires were exposed to hylden relics rather than outright possession would be a lot simpler.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 26th Jan 2016 at 12:10.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Took me a while...but i found it: http://nosgoth.com/blog/nosgoth-stat...lay-april-2015

"Around that same time, we will also be introducing an all-new set of fantastic-looking "Marked" Exotic Skins that will not be available for purchase in the Store. Why do these Vampires look the way they do? Because, as many of our hardcore fans pieced together from reading our Crucible blog last March, their exposure to otherworldly power has left them branded in very peculiar ways. Check out the blog for additional hints."

Maybe i was looking to much into what the post said, but i thought this meant we'd get a lore post about the Marked Skins...

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Introducing the hylden as a direct influence on the events of this era would have major significance for Kain and Raziel's main story arc. That's something SE/Psyonix have been careful to avoid for this game.
    Hmm, makes sense...maybe they realized how deep explaining something related to the Hylden would be, and backed out?

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    They don't need to overexplain them. They just need to explain them.
    Leaving it to interpretation is a terrible idea. First because it's a potentially major thing. Secondly because any potential to add proper lore to the game should be taken, period. Thirdly because the popular interpretation is buried in the pages of some random thread and subject to change.

If it's left to interpretation, you might as well say they wandered into Chernobyl. And also that Chernobyl exists in Nosgoth as per the interpretation. And that the affected vampires all have Jamaican accents.

Their intention ought to change.
    You think it's terrible, or that Occam's Razor would dictate that they're Chernobyl victims with Jamaican accents? Then that's fair enough. I've always adored the mysteries and obscura littered throughout the series; I appreciate that it provides just enough while leaving so much to the imagination, especially the extraneous world building details. And Nosgoth is 100% extraneous world building, so the intention is what it is, given the format of the game doesn't support narrative.

There are similar examples. Is it just random chance that the Vanguards' emblem is a cephalopod? I mean, maybe. Does anyone believe the humans would've been able to resurrect Meridian without the right... er... insight and enlightenment at their disposal?

Even if some inventions are cribbed from the vampires, the humans are making some pretty significant technological strides in short order, only a century or two after throwing off the yoke of oppression, no? Where do the Prophets' visions come from? What do those backlers they're wearing resemble?

Vampires running around looking like death, with singed skin and green glowing eyes, what could that signify? You figure there could be some prompting going on here?

There will be more blog texts down the line, but I wouldn't expect to be beaten over the head with explicit solutions to deliberately open material. Each player can consider very carefully whether the implications necessarily are major, or negative, or not. And if they're still not to the player's taste after pondering on the facts long enough, Chernobyl it is.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Lore posts are meant to explain the existence of new maps and characters in Nosgoth as well as how it all fits together. Getting into the details of crafting material is a bit intense for a multiplayer game, don't you think?

In any case, the Beastmaster lore will be out soon enough, and if the early drafts are any indication, it will fall inline with previous entries.
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Ryan
    Lore posts are meant to explain the existence of new maps and characters in Nosgoth as well as how it all fits together. Getting into the details of crafting material is a bit intense for a multiplayer game, don't you think?
    Yes, i agree that explaining crafting materials would be over the tops...it's just a gameplay element, no need to go that deep.

I did expect an explanation of the Marked Skins however, mostly due to they're part in the Crucible's lore post and (most importantly) the implication of the Hylden in it.
    (You don't see me asking explanation for the Exalted human skins or Treasure of the Lost, for example...although i'd welcome it)

In any case, the Beastmaster lore will be out soon enough, and if the early drafts are any indication, it will fall inline with previous entries.
    Oh, of course it's not needed for crafting material. That quicksilver thing's just a bit of personal canon I enjoy.

But the marked skins represent a significant event, a plague of some magical contamination sweeping throughout all of the clans. That deserves a little more. Where is it from? How did it get into them, what did they find that contaminated them?

You could just say they found a vague 'something' under Avernus ala Azimuth/Mortanius in Blood Omen, given the obvious Hylden influence of the designs - but then why are the vamps digging down there? Some particular project or is it just busy labor to break the slaves' spirits? How did every clan get infected? How/by whom was its spread eventually discovered/contained?

Doesn't even need its own lore post. The Matriarch was given a little extra detail - but not enough to fill in everything - as one piece of a larger post on Nosgothian religion. And that's fine. That could work here too. But it deserves more than "Oh hey, they're infected, moving on". It's some sort of widespread eldritch epidemic. Some details on that isn't too intense a request.

Just having some unexplained "Matriarch of the Islands" crop up in flavor text was awful. The lore post detailing her stayed vague - basically 'She's some kind of religious figure/diplomat for the humans' - but it added a little meat to what was previously a bare bone. And that's what the Marked Skins are right now: A bare bone. You can't sink your teeth into a bare bone - at least not satisfyingly.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 30th Jan 2016 at 08:02.

I'm also wondering why there aren't any mentions about new map lore. Yes, LoK fans probably know everything about Silenced Cathedral, but new map is still the Nest, not the same place we visited in Soul Reaver. Or one paragraph at Swiftor post was it?

Page 2 of 2 First First 12