Thread: Option to disable all QTE's on the PC version.

Option to disable all QTE's on the PC version.

Please give us the option to disable all QTE's in the PC version of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Thank you.

-removed-
    Last edited by TranceTrouble; 14th Oct 2015 at 18:00. Reason: removed provoking img

Quote Originally Posted by LuzariusLive View Post
    Please give us the option to disable all QTE's in the PC version of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Thank you.
    It would most likely involve reprogramming a good portion of the game to change QTEs into simply cutscenes. I doubt they'd want to spend the time doing that.

(click image to enlarge)

Aside from disliking QTEs - which I do - let's look at Tomb Raider 2013 honestly. It didn't have THAT many QTEs. They were used in very select places and they weren't nearly as bad or as dominant as they are in other games. Count them up - count up the cutscenes while you're at it - and then compare that to the total amount of playtime.

As Valenka pointed out, the alternative is to turn that portion of gameplay into a cutscene. While I don't always like the implementation of QTEs, I do understand their intent - to keep the gamer interacting with the game, reducing non-interactive cutscenes. I'd rather that developers continue to try and find ways to improve the QTE idea, making it more intelligent and based on non-prompted reaction skill (like classic arcade games used to be) and less about button-mashing, instead of reverting to more non-interactive sequences.

As long as Rise doesn't rely on them constantly, having the occasional QTE might bug me a bit but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Realistically, I really can't see Crystal making this change. It is a gameplay mechanic that is part of their reboot-era gameplay formula. Like everything when you compare the reboot to Rise, I think you can absolutely count on them to tweak it and try to make it better, but I don't see them removing it.
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Did you add "No QTE'S" to that image? How odd.

They could very easily make the portions where the QTE occurs just default to "success" based on an option, and hide the component that draws the button, but the scene would be very strange without it - assuming that the slowdown is part of the scene. If it's applied programmatically, then that may be easy also.

The problem would be that if they provided an option, most people would probably use it thus rendering the effort of putting it there in the first place pointless.
    signature image

To be honest, I hardly remember any of the QTEs in Tomb Raider (2013), but maybe that's because I don't mind them and they didn't really stand out as memorable or annoying. I'm not sure, really. I've never had a problem with them just as long as they aren't in abundance. I think Tomb Raider Legend had the most QTEs than any other installment in the franchise, with nearly one in every level; all things considering, I think with Legend, they were essentially experimenting with them and brought them in for a second round in Anniversary. I don't believe Underworld had any at all.

As Tihocan said, they could easily add an auto-complete option for those who want no participation in QTEs, rendering the event to appear as an action-based cinematic scene instead. I personally wouldn't use it if it were available, as I enjoy the interaction, but I can definitely see a majority of people taking advantage of the implementation. I think the point of QTEs are, aside from interacting with cutscenes, to keep you on your toes and a cheeky way of asking, "Hey, are you paying attention?"

In my opinion, if Rise of the Tomb Raider has a similar number of QTEs as Tomb Raider (2013), I think it's more than fair to include them as they won't be in abundance or overwhelming. I can only remember four of them: the altercation with Vlad, the wolf guarding the backpack, the parachute and the final fight scene. Even if there were three more or so than what I recall, that really isn't that much and they were far and few between. I don't really think it calls for a petition or need for a disable option. I get that not a lot of people like QTEs. Not a lot of people like microtransactions and season passes and yet, here we are.

And maybe it's just me, but does the picture in the OP seem a little...flame-war-inspiring?

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    And maybe it's just me, but does the picture in the OP seem a little...flame-war-inspiring?[/I]
    Not just you It's the whole "master race" bit. I also don't understand the big hair thing which is "badly" drawn on the man's head?

Maybe it's meant to be sarcastic, maybe it's meant to say that PC gaming is NOT the master race. After all, even though I'm definitely a PC gamer through and through, I don't think that most of the points given on the image are even valid, and some are just personal preference.

The following points really aren't as much of an issue these days. Sure, I believe that beefed-up PCs will outperform, but don't the Xbox One and PS4 compete on these now, with enough quality for even dedicated gamers?
    - Smooth Gameplay
    - HD Textures
    - Ultra Settings
    - 1080p

As for the rest:

Exclusive Titles: Sure, PCs have a lot of games that consoles don't have, but I've never heard a console gamer complain about a PC game that's not on consoles. I wonder why... probably because most console gamers have computers for general usage like school, etc. Meanwhile, as a PC gamer, there's quite a handful of Xbox and PS console-exclusive titles that I've never played that I'd really love to play and I really wish they were on PC. So at least for me personally, the console exclusives win this one.

Steam: Lots of people hate Steam. I'm glad for it personally, as Valve mostly does a good job with it. But this is also a win for the consoles, not for PC. On PC, while many publishers have gotten onboard with Steam, there's a number of publishers who insist on having their own platform. Meanwhile, over on Xbox or PS, you don't have to worry about installing 3 or 4 different platforms just to play a few games.

No QTEs: LOL. PC games DO have QTEs. Or maybe you mean that PC-only titles generally don't use QTEs, it's only the multi-platform titles that have them when they get ported to PC.

60+ FPS: Not a big deal to me. I've enjoyed a lot of games with my generally better-than-average PCs, but I've never spent way too much money on insane computer systems in order to run ridiculous framerates.

Multimonitor: I'm a graphic designer and I love multiple monitors... but not for gaming. I prefer to look at a single large screen when playing a game. This could be preference though.

Mouse accuracy: No argument there. I love my mouse. By the same token, however, console gamers love their controllers. Preference.

Mods: Absolutely. If this is an aspect of gaming that's important for you - and it's not important for everyone - PC for the win.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    Not just you It's the whole "master race" bit. I also don't understand the big hair thing which is "badly" drawn on the man's head?
    It's a meme that originated in one of the Escapist's Zero Punctuation videos where the narrator sarcastically refers to PC gamers as "the master race" (probably a reference to Nazi Germany), and illustrates it with this doodle, in typical Zero Punctuation style:

(click image to enlarge)

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I doubt they would do this. Interesting though, the OP's meme is all about willy waving - "look how much better I am than you." Funnily enough, great gameplay/storylines isn't even mentioned which would be top of my list.
    Last edited by The_Hylden; 16th Oct 2015 at 13:22. Reason: Removed video with innapropriate language. Also, please do not to circumvent the forum censor.
    signature image

People taking about graphics when refering to the master race meme obviously completely missed the point, it was never about that and has only been twisted to being so by people not paying attention. It was actually about complexity of gameplay & game systems on pc vs console and how yahtzee prefers such systems to be streamlined like on consoles than what he considers to be the overly complicated ones in some pc exclusives ie the difference between the witcher 1 vs the witcher 3.

Pure preference and irrelivant in TR since games in this series are exactly the same on every platform the only difference being better or worse visual quality depending which machine you buy it for eg 360 vs xbone or xbone vs pc. The order886 for ps4 just happens to be an awful game that wants to be a movie and forgot about the game part just like ryse on the xbone.

I'd like to see qte's go not because they themselves are bad but because the people making them including CD have no idea how to make good ones, Shenmue did it right by designing gamplay sections specifically for the systems that made sense while everyone else thought it was just a case of make a cutscene and slap some random buttom prompts over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larafan1996 View Post
    Shenmue did it right by designing gamplay sections specifically for the systems that made sense while everyone else thought it was just a case of make a cutscene and slap some random buttom prompts over it.
    I dunno, that doesn't sound better to me. We want less QTEs. Creating gameplay sections specifically for QTEs sounds like more QTEs. I definitely would not be in favor of that.
    signature image

It doesn't sound better no but well that's the cinematic experience that people keep praising Tomb raider for these days rather than the TR'S of old. The game does it all for you removing the risk of failure. TR in the reboot universe is all about streamlining and making the player feel better about themselves with magnetic platforming, white ledges, tutorial prompts, slow mo traps, glowing objectives etc. Deep platforming and puzzle systems like those in the series past are frowned upon by the modern audience who just want a rollarcoaster with illusion of interactivity and so qte's are the innevitable conclusion to that transformation.

QTE'S are a natural fit for a game that focusses more on story than player input such as the reboots, it is much easier to create a cutscene and put button prompts over it than create complelling new gameplay systems that may confuse people. Shooting two pistols in different directions no problem just make it a qte in the ending . The new audience Tr is aiming for don't want anything that makes them think just something that looks movie like, you have people who couldn't even get past the scavengers den in the tutorial without getting bored no wonder the real TR is gone these people wouldn't be able to work their way out of the title screen in original.
    Last edited by Larafan1996; 15th Oct 2015 at 19:38.

Of all the games that have used QTE's only a few ever got it right. Resident Evil 4 really did a great job, TR2013 did a great job as well. All the other games throw it in as a gimmick, but in the last TR they seemed to be more immersive, buttons if thought of like extensions of the character really felt intuitive in the last game. Maybe since it worked last time without being overly intrusive it will work this time as well?

*They could easily make QTE's auto succeed without much programming, just a flag for the section, place flag copy paste call to command auto succeed. Its not as hard as it sounds "Rambo: The Video Game" had this same option available to auto succeed all QTE's, leaving the player just watching them which works like a cinematic.
    Last edited by BridgetFisher; 15th Oct 2015 at 21:01.

The game does it all for you removing the risk of failure. TR in the reboot universe is all about streamlining and making the player feel better about themselves
    the modern audience who just want a rollarcoaster with illusion of interactivity
    The new audience Tr is aiming for don't want anything that makes them think
    I really don't agree at all, I would say my personal opinion is almost the opposite, but I'm not going to argue on these points, because I think we have such opposite views that there is little point to having a debate on them. It's interesting to know where you're coming from though, so I do appreciate your post.
    signature image

If you want to make people think or push their limits, then come up with a good combat system, not stupid qte's.

Quote Originally Posted by LuzariusLive View Post
    If you want to make people think or push their limits, then come up with a good combat system, not stupid qte's.
    Well, Rise does have a combat system, and I guess we'll see what improvements they've made compared to the reboot.

It's not like the entirety of Rise is QTEs. If the reboot, as well as the Rise footage we've seen so far, is anything to go by, I would say the majority IS the combat system, and a very small minority is QTEs.

And I think that Crystal aim not only to "make people think or push their limits" but also to deliver an entertaining experience that gives the player a variety of experiences.

Lastly, I think that "if you want to make people think," the solution is more puzzles, not having "a good combat system"

Anyway, that's just my own point of view.
    signature image