Thread: Hide Player Level

Hide Player Level

Hide Player Level

Hello guys and gals,

it happens a lot to me that people tink I must be an awesome player because of my high level.
    But I'm a quite crappy player and usually teammates are flaming me because of that.
    I guess I'm not the only one who's affected and so I want to suggest an option that allows playes to hide their lvl.
    Don't get me wrong, the client system still knows the users lvl and uses it for the matchmaking. I just want to hide
    my lvl from other users.

Or: Hide the lvl by default, just like like the stats. This would be even better
    signature image

Please, please, PLEASE!

I'm always so scared whenever I get in a match with low levels or so... On one side, most people will fly from a match as soon as they see a lvl 40, without considering that we maybe aren't that good. On the other hand, some people on your team expects you to be the one who takes them by the hand and give to them an easy victory.

I think that, without knowing each other's levels, people wouldn't be sure about what to expect... And maybe that would make players try to actually focus more in learning how to play as a team, something basic in this game.

Or wait for impoved matchmaking with, hopefully, ranks(like cs:go) or mmr(dota2) or both(sc2), and play with same skill-level players.

Yes please, other people seeing your rank serves no function other than creating expectations by your teammates; and some of those expectations aren't what you would consider positive.

Additionally some people will just straight up leave a lobby if their team has less level 40s.
    signature image

All of that is true, but in our small closed beta community people that play during the same times seem to know and recognise one another.

Hiding the player level can "patch things up" to help some people deal with high expectations issue that you are discussing, but in the end it won't be a complete solution to the actual root cause of this problem, which is people with different skill levels facing one another.

As much as some people might want this implemented - to me it seems like a redundant effort and an unwise spending of development time. Because, like RoflBalast has mentioned, this problem will disappear altogether when matchmaking with MMR system will be introduced.

Well put, Konf! It seems like a lovely idea, but I think the root of the problem (again) is in the matchmaking.

Xenonetix can attest to this: One day I was playing a game in his lobby. The "amazing" matchmaking put four level 40s on the same team (which is highly counter-intuitive to the current matchmaking process) and the highest on the opposing team was level 24.

Here's the kicker; the team of 20's won. By a mile. Experience is not in direct correlation with skill.

Originally Posted by OnlyLogic
    Well put, Konf! It seems like a lovely idea, but I think the root of the problem (again) is in the matchmaking.

Xenonetix can attest to this: One day I was playing a game in his lobby. The "amazing" matchmaking put four level 40s on the same team (which is highly counter-intuitive to the current matchmaking process) and the highest on the opposing team was level 24.

Here's the kicker; the team of 20's won. By a mile. Experience is not in direct correlation with skill.
    What a nonsense. Your example is merely an exception of the rule. In 99.(9)% cases experienced players beat "twenties+"
    Moreover i can assure you that the main reason behind 40`s bad play are lags or fps drops which happen alot these days.

As for the subj: i vote for hidden levels. Because prejudice sucks.

Originally Posted by Prime_Abstergo
    What a nonsense. Your example is merely an exception of the rule. In 99.(9)% cases experienced players beat "twenties+"
    Moreover i can assure you that the main reason behind 40`s bad play are lags or fps drops which happen alot these days.

As for the subj: i vote for hidden levels. Because prejudice sucks.
    Naaaaa, there is a lot of highlvls(30-40) players that perform worse than midlevels(20-30). A lot.

Originally Posted by RoflBalast
    Naaaaa, there is a lot of highlvls(30-40) players that perform worse than midlevels(20-30). A lot.
    Which is a good reason why player level needs to be hidden so people don't go into a match assuming the level 40s are gonna dominate.

im lv 40, i have good days and bad days some times really bad days
    signature image

Personally, I have to agree with having player levels not shown in the lobbies. I think it's been proven in enough games that it's a bit of a turn off (though arguably a minor one), and isn't an accurate/proper/fair way of measuring a player's worth (as is often the case with some players). I also think this works in favor of the skill-based matchmaking system that's still being worked on, since (I'm assuming) it won't make use of player level as a factor in matching players together.

It could be something the next influx of players might like (because we know there'll be a second influx, just as how there was that influx during the free weekend).

Our plan is to make your level only visible to you once MMR is implemented. Level numbers give the impression of player power when they are a pretty loose correlation.

That said we will probably replace it with something like a portrait frame indicating your MMR bracket (Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc.)

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Corey
    Our plan is to make your level only visible to you once MMR is implemented. Level numbers give the impression of player power when they are a pretty loose correlation.

That said we will probably replace it with something like a portrait frame indicating your MMR bracket (Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc.)
    Sweet, another reason for me to be excited for open beta. For the frames, how about it starts as a plain black circle with grayish cracks all around it for beginners, then thorns begin to extend from the circle and the cracks resonate red for intermediates, and for the experts it takes on its final form as the symbol for the immortal pack?
    Last edited by GenFeelGood; 16th Oct 2014 at 04:07.

Sounds really good :3
    signature image

Yay! Good to read that . It could even be used as a way to fix the matchmaking system? As most of us agree at this time, level is not a show of skill, after all.

Removing levels next to names in lobbys/games

Alot of players find these intimidating and leave before the game starts .
    IGN:bobo

Originally Posted by -Konf-
    All of that is true, but in our small closed beta community people that play during the same times seem to know and recognise one another.

Hiding the player level can "patch things up" to help some people deal with high expectations issue that you are discussing, but in the end it won't be a complete solution to the actual root cause of this problem, which is people with different skill levels facing one another.

As much as some people might want this implemented - to me it seems like a redundant effort and an unwise spending of development time. Because, like RoflBalast has mentioned, this problem will disappear altogether when matchmaking with MMR system will be introduced.
    Most of the people that rq over level 40s won't recognize most good players by name.