Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Your Favourite Clan/Class/Faction

Your Favourite Clan/Class/Faction

Your Favourite Clan/Class/Faction

I know, that this topic may be present somewhere, but couldn`t find it. So...
    What i ask you here is about all opposing camps, that are present in Legacy of Kain universe, not only in "Nosgoth". I`d like to discuss why you like them, or where yuou`d like to belong if you were to be born in thier world
    For me: i am a human, never could stomach the idea of immortality, even as pretended one as vampires have(you still can kill them- never knew why in Soul Reaver 1 raziel and hunters won`t try decapitation. Or removing heart, and burning it outside of the body. Sounds, like it would solve lots of problems), and my body is mine, i will not steal blood-life of others only to prolong mine. And i always have been fond of this idea: fighting someone better than me, quicker, more dexterious, more deadly, thus improving myself beyond my limits, but not "cheating", like vampires do. I also love swords, daggers, and hand to hand combat. Thats why i think, i`d end up as Sarafan- they were knights, thier traning was focused at what i like. Maybe i am not a fanatic, when it comes to religion, but if vampires were to really exist, i`d hate them. Nobody tells me who is my god, and who i have to serve
    If not, maybe vampire hunter from "Nosgoth" or "Soul Reaver1" era? They are the same bunch of murderers, as Sarafan, only thier weapons evolved
    But
    If i`d end up as vampire- my body digged up and reanimated, i`d preffer to be Dumahim, evolved, devolved, dosen`t matter. They are what i consider "true vampires", no wall crawling, no sneaking behind, no poison spitting, deadly screaming, and smoke-stacking, no backstabbing, mist-form-changing, bat- form-flying, pissing away to the other dimensions and other worlds, no underground-crawling, no magic rod waving, no life in luxury and pleasures- like some others vampires do
    Thier attitude- give me sword/axe/hammer, dagger/knife and point me to the nearest enemy- is what i like about them the most. They are arrogant, true, but so am i
    As for who i like the least- Ancient vampires... I don`t like elves from fantsy worlds- bunch of smartasses, that always know better, and are so superior, that they don`t even consider others point of view(they said orc were bad. And nobody questioned that. No one extended helping hand to ones that were tortured and mutilated to the point of sending them in to madness)- and Ancient Vampires are just like that- we know better
    And Hyldens. Because they were always the same as Vampires. Only technology and magic are different. This superior attitude of thiers that make me sick(developers made Hylden Lord so good, i can`t stand him, and i cannot wait to gut him every time, when i play Blood Omen 2), not to mention thier underhanded methods- Mass and Device, reviving sarafan, that are not sarafan, but bunch of sniveling cowards and thugs

Well it's kinda hard really...i have a mixed opinions depending on the era...

In SR1, Rahab was my favorite boss...which makes me really like the rahabim clan as a whole... (Rahab was the only boss that seemed reasonable. All others were kinda crazy, or only going on about how "superior" they were...)
    But regarding the SR1 devolved vampires, my favorite were the Turelim...they were the most dangerous and powerful, also they seemed less feral.

In Nosgoth, my favorite are the Dumahim also...i think due to how they play out i think...i just love going in, doing some damage and then shadow-stepping out. Killing your target bit by bit...

In the end i like them all, but if i had to choose a fav, those would be the ones...

I would absolutely prefer the vampire faction. I don't understand how anyone could dislike immortality. Things are always changing, always new stuff to see or learn. And should one get bored, they can end it then. And decapitation wouldn't necessarily kill them. Impalement kills as it stakes the heart and disrupts the primary blood pump. If the heart stays intact, one assumes that rejoining the head to body would heal the sever wound and restore them. As for removing the heart and burning it, removing it kills them already as far as hunters need be concerned.

But let's break this all down:

Pre-BO: The Hylden. Technology, magic, no fealty to a god, immortality...All good. And they weren't monsters at this point.

Blood Omen: I'd like to be a part of whatever group Elzevir took his trade from. The trafficking of souls sounds incredibly lucrative.

Blood Omen 2: The vampires are either traitors or hunted. The Hylden are hateful genocidal lunatics though so they couldn't be trusted even as allies. Seems the best lot in that era overall is that of a human who covertly aids the Cabal on the side while staying in Hylden favor.

Soul Reaver: Humans have it bad. The Mechahim are rotting. The Dumahim are scattered remnants. The Turelim are few. Don't care for swimming as the Rahabim. The Zephonim though are highly mobile, secure in a cathedral, have a steady food supply...Definitely Zephonim.

Soul Reaver 2: Sarafan seem revered here. Good gig.

Nosgoth: The Melchahim are in a much more agreeable place here than in Soul Reaver. I do like summoner stuff. I'd go with them.

(By the way, being arrogant is nothing to grin about...And the Ancients aren't elves. O.o)
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 3rd Oct 2015 at 20:00.

Perhaps the empire is a bit much. However, you have to remember that it was the humans that drew first blood when they killed all the vampires in the Blood Omen era in response to Kain assassinating William (even though that was for the benefit of humanity, the vampires couldn't care less about the Nemesis); and all while being led by the human (Mobius) that orchestrated the whole thing. Kain learned from this that humans are nothing more than shortsighted sheep and schemers, that if left to their own devices they could potentially become pawns of darker forces that would use humanity against him and the vampire race like before.

With that said, the Turelim are probably what I'd choose to be.
    Last edited by GenFeelGood; 4th Oct 2015 at 15:49.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    I would absolutely prefer the vampire faction. I don't understand how anyone could dislike immortality. Things are always changing, always new stuff to see or learn. And should one get bored, they can end it then. And decapitation wouldn't necessarily kill them. Impalement kills as it stakes the heart and disrupts the primary blood pump. If the heart stays intact, one assumes that rejoining the head to body would heal the sever wound and restore them. As for removing the heart and burning it, removing it kills them already as far as hunters need be concerned.(...)
    (By the way, being arrogant is nothing to grin about...And the Ancients aren't elves. O.o)
    I said "Ancients are LIKE elves"- bunch of stiff egocentrics, thats why i dislike them. I don`t have problem with them being superior to humans- but them braging about this, making us cattle. Remember SR2, Air Temple, and sacrafices- torn mummies, still alive, waiting for Raziel few thousands years, only to have thier souls eaten? What was so noble about that? Or maybe them passing on blood curse? If they were so wise, they should know that there will be humans, like me, who don`t like to be drained for supper. And what about them abducting human children to have them being new guardians? Granted, they did that, to prevent return of the Hylden, but if we think who started whole war... It`s like alternative history, where U.S. started war with Japan, and then bomb them into oblivion...
    Well to be honest if you look at it from human perspective- vampires drew first blood. It`s not like Kain ran to the town square after killing William and shout "! I wasn`t me, Mobius trying to puish the blame on me, in few years William`ll turn in to ! I`m form the future! And I`ll be back!". We know all the truth, but Sarafan didn`t, and be fair here: what vampires eat? It`s rather natural to hate them
    How i can hate immortality? Well, i don`t have, but would rather want to have a my own family one day(preferably closer day, but i digress), so thought about losing them and i`d have to continue my rather pathetic, parasitic life- let`s say it is unplesant. And no, having bunch of leeches of my own is not equivalent. And i dunno, but i don`t think i`d have enough of character to kill myself, or look for somebody to do that for me, when i`d got tired of immortality
    Last edited by Bazielim; 4th Nov 2015 at 17:20. Reason: ToU 1

I unfortunatelly don't have the proper english vocabulary to effectively detail my tastes and thoughts, but I'll bite.

From Nosgoth : the zephonims and razielims are my favourites. The deceiver have this psycho look and background, which are exactly what I want to see in vampires. His megalomania, sado-masochist habits and dark way to think are awesome.

Sentinels, on the other hand, are different. They're angry towards humanity, and their rage makes them more feral. I really dislike all the skins except the hammerhead husk and the evolved one. The hammerhead should have been the basic one, as it's exactly how I visualize the fusion of their clothes/apparels with their flesh. In my humble opinion, the two most tactical classes of the game.

The prophets and alchemists are very interesting. They have a very occult side and I'd like to see it being developped somehow.

From the universe in general... Hard question... I would say the vampires worshippers. They fascinated me and are so mysterious. I want to know more about them.

Don`t look at this from the perspective of "usability". Look at whole design and character. I like Dumahim not because of thier looks(okay, partially, a myself don`t sport long hairs, and muscles only big enough to be strong and not constricting), or tactics of thier fighting, but because of the way they think- thier "philosophy" one could say.
    Worshippers you say, Shiro... Well, now i think about it, thier backround is unexplored in SR1, and thier adepts have weapon i like, but to be honest having somebody to tell me when and where to lay down and die, because they are hungry...
    Zephonim is my least favourite clan. I`d rather rot, as Melchiahim than sneak around- pretty cowardly way. And self torture. And torturing victims, and hanging them "for later"...

Originally Posted by Heretic_13
    Don`t look at this from the perspective of "usability". Look at whole design and character. I like Dumahim not because of thier looks(okay, partially, a myself don`t sport long hairs, and muscles only big enough to be strong and not constricting), or tactics of thier fighting, but because of the way they think- thier "philosophy" one could say.
    Worshippers you say, Shiro... Well, now i think about it, thier backround is unexplored in SR1, and thier adepts have weapon i like, but to be honest having somebody to tell me when and where to lay down and die, because they are hungry...
    Zephonim is my least favourite clan. I`d rather rot, as Melchiahim than sneak around- pretty cowardly way. And self torture. And torturing victims, and hanging them "for later"...
    I don't think I said that I limited my choices on appearences, Heretic.
    Deceivers are enigmatic and very dark characters. I love their mental manipulation abilities.
    Sentinels are animated by vengeance. They were once the most beautiful and powerful vampire clan, and they have been betrayed by their own kind. That makes them powerful flying vampires (I like the agility and speed of the flight), angry and bloodthirsty.

Your point of view about worshippers is a bit limited. What's interesting in each cult organisation is the way they conceive and explain things, their relationships to the vampires (zephonims, in this particular case), the iconography - just observe these mural paintings and sculptures -, the way they live, etc...

They're "worshippers", so are they there by free will, or is it some kind of Stockholm syndrome or resentment, for example ? How do they position themselves (the human kind), if they really think that vampires are superior and must rule ? Etc...

This is the kind of questions that determined my choice

I think worshippers are victims of "propaganda", if i may use that word. First ones were probably treated by thie master as a proper way to get new vampires in thier ranks, and vampires that "taught" them of thier superiority. The rest took care of itself, every new adept was probably taught by thier high priests, and so on- well, when Raina and her team ends thier game, we will learn full background behind them

You may also know about content cut from final part of the game- "Forsaken" vampires, probably, on the human side, as the are armed with weapons. I`d love to see them in game and learn a little about them- they would make Nosgoth world far more alive- as there is no white and black, and there are people taking sides, no matter what race they are

You may also know about content cut from final part of the game- "Forsaken" vampires, probably, on the human side, as the are armed with weapons. I`d love to see them in game and learn a little about them- they would make Nosgoth world far more alive- as there is no white and black, and there are people taking sides, no matter what race they are
    No, I didn't hear about them. Tell me more (and sources)

I must admit that I limited my choices, as I mainly played Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. I played Defiance, but I'm very attached to the universe of the first one (SR). What they did after, regarding the design and gameplay, was too much "japanized". Vivid colors, fancy human classes and a gameplay like Devil May Cry... Just my tastes though. The first Soul Reaver was the best.

What you said makes me think about the next (and last) human class. I don't want to digress too much, but in contrast to the aaaarrrrrh vanguard, I hope they'll create a very enigmatic human class. Something tortured and twisted (cf. the prophet) to balance the game. I mean : it's mainly a dark universe populated with vampires. The 'light side' of sun worshippers is nice, but it could be great to get another view on how humans would behave in such an era.

All the vampires tortured. The Zephonim just took extra pleasure.

And they were never all that sneaky in Soul Reaver. Would you rather they met the enemy in straight lines of troops, firing back and forth like the British used to fight? That wouldn't be "cowardly" but it'd be very stupid and ineffective. XD

@Shiro: Wasn't it said that the remaining Razielim were led to believe Raziel betrayed them?

Originally Posted by -Shiro-
    No, I didn't hear about them. Tell me more (and sources)

I must admit that I limited my choices, as I mainly played Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. I played Defiance, but I'm very attached to the universe of the first one (SR). What they did after, regarding the design and gameplay, was too much "japanized". Vivid colors, fancy human classes and a gameplay like Devil May Cry... Just my tastes though. The first Soul Reaver was the best.

What you said makes me think about the next (and last) human class. I don't want to digress too much, but in contrast to the aaaarrrrrh vanguard, I hope they'll create a very enigmatic human class. Something tortured and twisted (cf. the prophet) to balance the game. I mean : it's mainly a dark universe populated with vampires. The 'light side' of sun worshippers is nice, but it could be great to get another view on how humans would behave in such an era.
    Well- then we are in agreement(crap, i agreed with someone... How do i live now? XD ) I also think "Soul Reaver" is the best of the series, when it comes to atmosphere and story. This game had a chance to be great. Look how many fans still remember it, wonder how many of us would there be if they did what they wanted, if developers had time and money to end it properly instead cutting it to released version.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488564 somwhere in the middle of the first page- in NPC`s section. And as i said- forsaken would "Probably" end up on the human side- if you ask me it would give a diversity and life to the world- as all know, nothing is white and black
    All the vampires tortured. The Zephonim just took extra pleasure.

And they were never all that sneaky in Soul Reaver. Would you rather they met the enemy in straight lines of troops, firing back and forth like the British used to fight? That wouldn't be "cowardly" but it'd be very stupid and ineffective. XD

@Shiro: Wasn't it said that the remaining Razielim were led to believe Raziel betrayed them?
    No, i wouldn`t like them to line up in single file, screaming "For God, Queen and country!" :P, and i understand that they became assassins, partialy, out of necessity- lacked brawns, so they went with skill instead. It dosen`t mean i have to like them, truth to be told, i don`t like vampires at all(like to hunt them in games though- so it`s me off that i am far better Dumahim in "Nosgoth" than hunter)- should terrorist blow up someone you hold dear, or some ninja, or killer slit your throat, before you knew he`s there(in other words before you`d have chance to fight back)- i doubt you`d clapped and laugh "Ye Gods, what a splendid move- very effective. We didn`t stood a chance". As for torturing victims: Melchiahim more than torturing is just carving them, and thier torture is more like experimenting on them(don`t me off any less- the same excuse is used in animal experiments), Rahabim... we still don`t know, but doubt they eat extra cruely :/, Dumahim plays around with the food(lore of this clan, something about them hunting prey in underground maze), but killing is rather quick, Turelim just kills, or forces to heavy labor- like people always did with slaves they wouldn`t hump, and Razielim is basically a bit in slavery like humans, so i think they just eat rather than torture
    Zephonim "just" took extra pleasure... What kind of excuse is that??? Okay, i`ll end you- you can choose- i can rip you throat, or put you on the cross, or rack for a three, four days- i can even give you food and water to prolong this. You can choose- i think it would mean a world of difference to me. Because if they rip my throat, i can die pretty painlessly, when enough blood run out. And nobody says that i would pass out, if they start dislocating my joints- what i know about my pain threshold allows me to speculate, that it wouldn`t be quick. Or they`d wake me up, if i did
    Your question to Shiro- if they think that Raziel betrayed them, why they still shout "another kill/blood/wathever[don`t remember] for Raziel"?
    Last edited by Bazielim; 3rd Nov 2015 at 12:09.

No, i wouldn`t like them to line up in single file, screaming "For God, Queen and country!" :P, and i understand that they became assassins, partialy, out of necessity- lacked brawns, so they went with skill instead. It dosen`t mean i have to like them, truth to be told, i don`t like vampires at all(like to hunt them in games though- so it`s me off that i am far better Dumahim in "Nosgoth" than hunter)- should terrorist blow up someone you hold dear, or some ninja, or killer slit your throat, before you knew he`s there(in other words before you`d have chance to fight back)- i doubt you`d clapped and laugh "Ye Gods, what a splendid move- very effective. We didn`t stood a chance". As for torturing victims: Melchiahim more than torturing is just carving them, and thier torture is more like experimenting on them(don`t me off any less- the same excuse is used in animal experiments), Rahabim... we still don`t know, but doubt they eat extra cruely :/, Dumahim plays around with the food(lore of this clan, something about them hunting prey in underground maze), but killing is rather quick, Turelim just kills, or forces to heavy labor- like people always did with slaves they wouldn`t hump, and Razielim is basically a bit in slavery like humans, so i think they just eat rather than torture.
    What also determined my choice : vampires are kind of nightmare or at least scary creatures (in most of medias... ahem ! *cough* twilight *cough*). A completely twisted and mysanthropic vampire with mental manipulation abilities scares me way more than a hunter or a bodybuilding braindead vamp. Probably some kind of job conditioning though, as I studied psychology and specialized in psychosis. A vampire able to torture you mentally, makes you doubt of reality and create illusions ? Yes, I'm for that !

Zephonim "just" took extra pleasure... What kind of excuse is that??? Okay, i`ll end you- you can choose- i can rip you throat, or put you on the cross, or rack for a three, four days- i can even give you food and water to prolong this. You can choose- i think it would mean a world of difference to me. Because if they rip my throat, i can die pretty painlessly, when enough blood run out. And nobody says that i would pass out, if they start dislocating my joints- what i know about my pain threshold allows me to speculate, that it wouldn`t be quick. Or they`d wake me up, if i did.
    It's hard to argue about tastes... : / We're here to share.

Your question to Shiro- if they think that Raziel betrayed them, why they still shout "another kill/blood/wathever[don`t remember] for Raziel"?
    I indeed remind razielims saying something like "for Raziel !" after a kill, so I think they're still pretty devoted.

Well- then we are in agreement(crap, i agreed with someone... How do i live now? XD )
    What's happening ?! A MIRACLE ?

should terrorist blow up someone you hold dear, or some ninja, or killer slit your throat, before you knew he`s there(in other words before you`d have chance to fight back)- i doubt you`d clapped and laugh
    What are you even trying to argue here? "If it happened to you, you'd be against it!" - Yeah. I support the death penalty but I don't want to be executed. Brilliant. Reminds me of pro-lifers telling me how much I'd protest abortions if my mother had gotten one.

Given the choice though, of how to die by a killer's hand...I'd endure the torture. If I'm to die, I prefer an experience. Though when the time came to end it, I'd rather bleed out slow. Extreme sensation (torture) followed by a steady loss of sensation (bleedout).

I won't even get started on the "I don't like vampires" thing in regard to a series revolving entirely around them...

And I checked the blogs. Dumah did relay a tale of Raziel's betrayal to Eskandor but there were those within the clan who didn't quite buy it, remaining loyal purely for survival. One imagines the Razielim would've had their own civil war if times had permitted.

What they did after, regarding the design and gameplay, was too much "japanized". Vivid colors, fancy human classes and a gameplay like Devil May Cry... Just my tastes though. The first Soul Reaver was the best.
    Um...Since when are vivid colors and "fancy" people only seen in Japan? Soul Reaver itself was quite vivid. And the only one that had gameplay like DMC was Defiance with its movelist-oriented combat. Which was pretty bad, true.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 4th Nov 2015 at 02:06.

What are you even trying to argue here? "If it happened to you, you'd be against it!" - Yeah. I support the death penalty but I don't want to be executed. Brilliant. Reminds me of pro-lifers telling me how much I'd protest abortions if my mother had gotten one.
    Really nice arguments(sarcasm again). What you want to prove? That it`s okay to torture? For the sake of argument- i am against death penalty. Why? Who wolud be doing it? Some professional? Why would he be punished like that? Imagine pushing button/injecting your whole proffesional life. Or maybe someone with a grudge? Then its revenge- and revenge is not justice. I am big fan of revenge though- but i understand if i ever kill somebody for revenge, i`d have to pay. Or somebody who enjoy it? Then it`s murder. Abortion- i am both against and pro. Pro- mother is sick, or she knows kid`s end up with some handicap, or pregnancy endanger her life, thats fine. But. I am against it in that regard that anybody can just aroiund with no consequences- meaning cheaters, stupid who thinks tha spreading intimate infection is okay, and so forth. But i digress. Abortion and death penalty aren`t torturing your food
    Bear with me- i don`t like vampires. Why? Because they were humans who instead perfecting themselves, choose "easy way" to be better. Of course, there are people like Raziel and co. who evend didn`t know, who they were in former life. But even though. Thier dark gifts, and stuff. It`s not they managed to do- they have bunch of things just from the start, all they need to do is eat, and they evolve. We need to train, and that is pretty noble and fine in my opinion
    Bleeding out, especialy from wound on neck is rather quick, and aside ripping throat, rather painless. And i see you don`t know what you talking about regarding torture. Read about old Nuremberg "masters" who were so good at this, they tortured victims for 2-3 weeks, and burn them with hot iron so much, that skin on thier ribs became transparent enough to see organs inside. When they would pull your finger nails and add salt to the wound, dislocate your joints and put them back, just so they could go at it next day
    I see. You think, thats fine and dandy, just because they are vampires.
    And i belive i am god and can do it to others. What about it?

Ladies and Gentlemen, can we please avoid sensitive political/cultural issues and keep it to the topic of the videogame(s) at hand?
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

Um...Since when are vivid colors and "fancy" people only seen in Japan? Soul Reaver itself was quite vivid. And the only one that had gameplay like DMC was Defiance with its movelist-oriented combat. Which was pretty bad, true.
    This is simply a stereotype (proper to me, certainly) I used to represent what I meant. I could develop and add a lot of references to defend my point, but that's not the topic.

The difference between this

and this

was just disappointing to me. But again, this is not really the subject

Yeah, but as somebody told me- developers wanted to show world of Nosgoth before coruption began. I also think that SR2 looked "too fantasy RPG", but on the other hand, when Raziel is send to the future of Nosgoth(2 time- where you`ll get air reaver) it looks pretty good- but still not as good as SR1

The point is that Nosgoth isn't much worse than Blood Omen, Soul Reaver 2 of Defiance were in terms of colours and like I was saying before, the word 'dark' can also mean grim, scary and desperate not just poorly lit. I would like to see come "extra gothy" skins though. As I also said before, I like the Sin City and Empire from Star Wars colour schemes. Mostly dull with streaks of colour.

Anyway, this it turning int another thread about whether Nosgoth is too dark. Back on topic, I like the Rahabim and Zephonim clans. They're the ones two like to like to use their heads a bit more as opposed to just brute force, and they're also slightly crazy. Rahab is unstable (maladjusted), but his reverence for Kain appears to have inspired him to to overcome this and make wiser choices.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

And i dig Rahabim, more than Zephonim anyway, always thought thier "nest" with lots of murals, stained glass, and this spacious interiors was cool, and had this monastery feeling

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Back on topic, I like the Rahabim and Zephonim clans. They're the ones two like to like to use their heads a bit more as opposed to just brute force, and they're also slightly crazy. Rahab is unstable (maladjusted), but his reverence for Kain appears to have inspired him to to overcome this and make wiser choices.
    It doesn't surprise me Can you develop your choice about the Rahabim ? It's a character I don't know well.

And i dig Rahabim, more than Zephonim anyway, always thought thier "nest" with lots of murals, stained glass, and this spacious interiors was cool, and had this monastery feeling
    Yes, but about Zephonims, anyway... can you trust your eyes ?

Rahab...best sr1 boss

It doesn't surprise me Can you develop your choice about the Rahabim ? It's a character I don't know well.
    http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Rahabim
    Rahabim are a clan of vampires that were very sensitive to sunlight, so much, that even light filtered by smoke was enough to kill them. But for that handicap they had wonderful gift, comparable to Razielim flight ability: they weren`t burn by water, like the rest of vampires and adapted to water enviroment.

You need to go play Soul Reaver immediately then. :P

An interesting thing about Rahab that's never been explored too much is that Kain showed him significant favor, telling him of plans and Raziel's return...

Oh I know the game very well and remember the character, his (d)evolution, adaptation to the water etc... but I don't remember his background at all. I prefer to ask about Vamp's personal choices than google it though : let's keep it 'human', we're not omniscient creatures because linked to the net. In certain cases, I prefer a good 'conversation' and sharing

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last