Thread: Will this be the worst-selling?

Will this be the worst-selling?

The system of XIII-2 wasn't supposed to be very different. It was meant to be a refined, upgraded version of the original systems taking into account player feedback. People though the Crystarium was pretty, but it was boring and annoying to have to hold down that button every time you wanted to bump your stats or learn a new ability. Square changed the Crystarium to make it easier. People felt the Paradigm-shift animation was too long, so Square sped them up. People wanted to be able to change which character they were controlling mid-battle and be able to tweak the paradigms so they could focus on fighting just one enemy or on taking out large groups without having to worry about the party member's Role-AI. Square put these improvements into the game. They added manual jumping, and even made you HAVE to use it. No, the system is not drastically different. But it's not meant to be, and it IS better.

And actually, there was lots of content cut ouf of XIII-2, as well. Like being able to visit the Thirteenth Ark, seeing part of Eden crashed into the Bresha Ruins, and part of Eden crystallized and fallen out onto the plains of Gran Pulse. The story of XIII-2 was originally developed as being several hundred years into the future, but the staff spent so much time making the history of the game up to that point that they felt it would be a waste not to focus on it. They decided to make it a time traveling game specifically so you, the player, would be able to see how the world developed over the course of 500 years. (Not counting the 200 years of nothing from Noel's failed time) By your logic, if this game bad they would stop making them. However, by that same logic they shouldn't be making Lightning Returns in the first place if XIII-2 did so horribly bad.

This game's graphical assets are almost entirely new (I'm sure there will be a few returning monsters, after all, and there's always the chance of flashback scenes), with a VERY heavily modified system. Real-time battle, the customization of both appearance and abilities through Styles, and new gameplay elements like cover and the ability to steal. This game won't be 'just recycled content'. Last, Square has already gone on record saying that this game is the end of the Lightning Saga. It will feature only one ending, and that ending will be a happy conclusion for Lightning and everyone else around her. They will not be making another game after this, regardless of whether or not it sells well.

EDIT: As for my opinion, I feel like it will be better selling than XIII-2. Square said they were going out of their way to make sure this was playable as a stand-alone game, opening it up to an audience that hasn't played the first two. With the new direction for both combat and supposed exploration features, I think that this game could possibly prove more popular than its predecessor. I'll have to get more actual information from Square, but really I do feel like this is already on-track to bringing in an audience.

i really hope not. i wish the best for this xiii series. my favorite.

im with you its my favorite aswell

Simply put, I don't think so. It may scratch over a million worldwide.

^ Only because of all the unnecessary hate towards the series.

Originally Posted by noob

^ Only because of all the unnecessary hate towards the series.

I was directly answering to the main question, "Will this be the Worst-Selling?'

Despite the hate of the series, I think LR: FFXIII will sell a considerate amount of copies.

I agree. I even think that all the hate will serve to advertise the game and make people want to find out whether it's good or not for themselves, so it might actually make the game sell better than it would have otherwise. Also, I think that a lot of the people who say that they hate the game will actually make sure to buy it, after all, if they really didn't care about the game, then they wouldn't be bothering to complain about it as much as they do.

Its different than 13 and 13-2. I liked 13, but disliked 13-2. I am interested to see how this one will play out. Might as well finish the trilogy, but not going to expect something mind blowing. I hope I am wrong though.

You and me both.

I'm more fearful 15 is that bad title than 13-3. People want a beautiful ending to the story and SE obviously will be giving it to them.

First week sales figures.
    (Siliconera)

Square Enix shipped far fewer copies of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
    (Media Create, Siliconera)
    Sales tracker Media Create reports that the PS3 version of the game sold through 71.98% of its initial shipment.

-In response to the week-1 sales figures-

There are people who just aren't 'blindly' buying these games anymore. I'm one of them. FF13 sold so well through week-1 because, heck, it was the FF debut on the next-gen consoles. Lots of people were all over it. Myself included. I think I had it pre-ordered for about 2 years.

I know it's just for 1 week, but, this can be viewed as a statement from a lot of the fans who don't like the direction the series has gone in. Also, if SE 'expected' sales like this, then that bothers me. But, I guess I can understand it if they just wanted to finish what they started in FF13-2. Still, this should be a lesson learned one would think. I believe the answer to SE's problem is in a lot of the forums on a bunch of websites all over the internet. The problem isn't necessarily the "Quality" of the games. It's SE's "Approach" to the design, IMO. The games aren't as "Balanced" as they used to be. This started with what is arguably the most noticeable change in the series when we went from "FF9" to "FF10" back in 2000 and 2001.

Its not just that FFX hd already sold more in 1 week i think than LR was in 1 week Square enix should stop making Sequels.They should create new FF titles after FF15 like FF16 and make game from agnis Philosophy techdemo and make new IP-s i rather wait 5-6 years to a new game than playing always these idiot sequels.

I love the FF series, I'll admit I enjoyed FF13 for the story for the most part, the combat was very "meh" to me, then FF13-2 came out which I was kinda looking forward to and then that ended up being completed in around 20 hours for me whilst doing nearly everything in the game (excluding getting every ending), and the main ending towards the game just put me in a head scratcher and insanely annoyed that they're trying to milk us again for 13-3 that will most likely end up being very short and with a horrible story as from what I've seen in some vids of it...I'm not impressed.

So yeah, I'll probs buy the game after enough time has gone by and the game price ends up plummeting just like 13 and 13-2 did, as I'm not in a rush to pay full retail price again for a game with almost 0 replay value and potentially low gameplay hours for a FF game, if I'm going to buy an rpg that generally has no multiplayer then I expect them to offer me a good 30 hours of gameplay at least.

I strongly believe LRFFXIII definitely won't be as huge and sell heaps like FFXIII and FFXIII-2 did. But I think it has a better story than FFXIII-2 (because let's face it, FFXIII-2's story was so horribly and terribly executed IMO it deserved all the backlash it got) to pull in new fans, like me. LRFFXIII will be the first FF game I play. But this game should still sell well, maybe not as much as everyone and square enix hoped.

Edit: fixed autocorrect error

Okay, firstly I dunno if this post will be edited into my above (previous post) since I am the last poster but anyway...

I was just on my gaming store's website and first thing I noticed from my glance was "PRESOLD OUT" and "PREORDER". I thought it was for the PS4 (since you know, they're sold out everywhere. Plenty of xboxone's though, ugh) and though it was a bit weird seeing "presold out" and "preorder for second shipment" advertising on the LRFFXIII advertisement. I took a longer look. Guess what? It's actually for LRFFXIII, their first shipment of LRFFXIII is apparently sold out and you have to preorder for the second shipment to get a copy. I call absolute BS on this. Fake! They're just trying to drum up hype for a game that's barely anyone (at least in my country) are going to buy.

Here's why...
    * both elder scrolls and titanfall both presold old out (understandable for elder scrolls. Titanfall is really over hyped, meh).
    * there's NO WAY LRFFXIII generated enough interest to be presold out.
    Evidence supporting this as fact:
    * no interest so they cut back their order/shipment last year
    * the store decreased the game price by $9 in dec
    * they removed the CE guide book (way overpriced, they advertised it for almost $60 :/)
    They've decreased the price about $8 for the standard guide book

OR...

They in,y allocated like 5 copies of both ps3 and Xbox 360 copies to each store, lol.
    Or they only bought like <1000 steelbook copies of the game from SE (both platforms) and they got presold.

Or...it really did get presold (highly, highly doubt this). They bought x amount of copies and barely any interest in the game so they're trying to create fake interest and hype. I always see advertisement for this game on their site and it's always in the 'what's hot', 'what people are buying' and 'popular games' lists. No way it's presold out, my reasons are above. Total BS that it did.

1. The pre-orders might have sold out because there is no way as many copies of Lightning Returns are being pre-sold as say the original Final Fantasy XIII
    2. If you are just checking today then pre-orders might not be available any longer because there is not enough time to order the game and have it in for release date now. So they are having you order from their second shipment.
    3. Not sure what game store you shop at or where you are located, but most stores will be getting in much more than 5 copies in their initial shipment.

Based on some of the preliminary pre-order data the sales are really good for Lightning Returns. Probably about 60% of what pre-orders were for the original Final Fantasy XIII. Probably about 80% of what pre-orders were for Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Really these numbers are to be expected in my opinion. This was a pretty new concept for Final Fantasy other than X-2.

Having a female character, a storyline that felt confused without the additional story info from XIII-2, and a very different take on battle and world exploration than previous FF releases will always make the sequels perform worse than the original.

"Lightning Returns" will be available in the U.S. tomorrow. This is going to be the 1st FF title in the series that I'm not buying day-1 (U.S. released). I'm not sure if I'm ever going to buy it. I started playing FF games with FF1 on the NES almost 24 years ago. I thought the games were evolving very well throughout the '90's. I have no problem with the "Lightning" character. I just can't stand the way SE is designing the FF games these days. It's just a sad time for me. And many others, apparently.

Originally Posted by alanman178
    "Lightning Returns" will be available in the U.S. tomorrow. This is going to be the 1st FF title in the series that I'm not buying day-1 (U.S. released). I'm not sure if I'm ever going to buy it. I started playing FF games with FF1 on the NES almost 24 years ago. I thought the games were evolving very well throughout the '90's. I have no problem with the "Lightning" character. I just can't stand the way SE is designing the FF games these days. It's just a sad time for me. And many others, apparently.
    Just out of curiosity which are your favorites? I totally understand that the new FF games might not be your cup of tea. I enjoy the older FF games myself. Have you tried Bravely Default? The game is amazing. Sadly the story is just not as good as some of the middle numbered FF games. That seems to be a recent trend for Square Enix. The stories try to be too convoluted (like FF VII, but falling way short), or they are so simplistic that you might as well just play the original Final Fantasy.

Originally Posted by ValhallaChaos

* there's NO WAY LRFFXIII generated enough interest to be presold out.
    Evidence supporting this as fact:
    * no interest so they cut back their order/shipment last year
    * the store decreased the game price by $9 in dec
    * they removed the CE guide book (way overpriced, they advertised it for almost $60 :/)
    They've decreased the price about $8 for the standard guide book

OR...

They in,y allocated like 5 copies of both ps3 and Xbox 360 copies to each store, lol.
    Or they only bought like <1000 steelbook copies of the game from SE (both platforms) and they got presold.
    It appears you don't know the meaning of the word "evidence." None of what you listed is "evidence."

As for the topic--undoubtedly. It's already the worst in Japan, and given that they've changed the series to have a more Japanese appeal rather than Western (Snow, anyone? Lumina?), it doesn't look like it will be selling well during this week.

I know I intend to play in about 11 hours. But most aren't, and I really hope Square examines this and understands what they "did wrong." Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

And heck, why not ask for it: if they released this game (this SERIES) on PC through Steam I bet they'd get a few sales for little to no cost.

Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity

And heck, why not ask for it: if they released this game (this SERIES) on PC through Steam I bet they'd get a few sales for little to no cost.
    Most of these games are not easily ported to PC. Now the new projects Square Enix are working on will supposedly be able to port easily to any platform running Direct X 11. Example: Final Fantasy XV will be one of the first games to have this infrastructure in place.

Originally Posted by Sector7Access
    Most of these games are not easily ported to PC. Now the new projects Square Enix are working on will supposedly be able to port easily to any platform running Direct X 11. Example: Final Fantasy XV will be one of the first games to have this infrastructure in place.
    Final Fantasy XIII was developed on a PC. I don't think it would be very difficult at all.

As for XV--yes indeed. Watching the "Square Enix presents E3 2013" interview with Nomura supposedly about Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix and KH3 (but he talks about XV a bit), he makes it very, VERY clear that they're considering PC. Additionally, they've said that all of the footage we have is it RUNNING on a PC. So that's a PC game that they're currently refusing to announce for PC, because reasons.

I still suspect that XIII on PC (NOT a port) was and is possible, though. Extremely unlikely by now, though.

Originally Posted by Sector7Access
    1. The pre-orders might have sold out because there is no way as many copies of Lightning Returns are being pre-sold as say the original Final Fantasy XIII
    2. If you are just checking today then pre-orders might not be available any longer because there is not enough time to order the game and have it in for release date now. So they are having you order from their second shipment.
    3. Not sure what game store you shop at or where you are located, but most stores will be getting in much more than 5 copies in their initial shipment.
    i don't live in North America so you can still preorder up until this point.

Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity
    It appears you don't know the meaning of the word "evidence." None of what you listed is "evidence."
    why do I get the feeling you think I'm attacking/hating the game? I didn't say it's concrete "evidence", it's just my speculation on why I think LRFFXIII will flop, at least in my country.

I'll reiterate: they decreased both the guidebook and game's price. And they removed the CE guidebook. If preorders were really presold then why would they take a hit and decrease the prices and completely removed the CE guidebook from their website? IMO if the game was in high demand they wouldn't have done either of those things.

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last