Thread: 'Hitman' movie producer wants 'Thief' to share same cinematic universe...

'Hitman' movie producer wants 'Thief' to share same cinematic universe...

'Hitman' movie producer wants 'Thief' to share same cinematic universe...

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/09/09...movie-universe

Have you read about this heresy? Producer of recent Hitman film wants Just Cause, Tomb Raider, and Hitman to be the "present" of a shared universe, with Thief being the past and Deus Ex being the future of said shared universe.

If this did happen and the films were successful, how long before SE cashes in on that success and pushes for the games to reflect that shared universe?

Notice that he said this is all dependent on "If Hitman is successful enough..." So I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

It is interesting though that it does mention this same producer has the rights to both Deus Ex and Thief movies. It would be pretty interesting to see a Thief movie someday. But, then again, considering how the most recent game fared...

But, then again, considering how the most recent game fared...
    Do you mean sales? Profits from the game were reported as favourable, so interest was healthy enough.
    I'm ALL FOR a Thief movie.

Hmm, who should play the leading role? Decisions, decisions.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I am aware of the contingencies in place that were mentioned in the article. I read them before I shared it here in the forum Notice where I said "If this did happend and IF the movies were successful".

I'm all for a Thief movie if it is done well, but I'm not sure how I feel about combining the lore of separate franchises, most of which have established lore dating back nearly two decades. Combining them just for the sake of cashing in on a "Marvel esque" tie-in cinematic universe driven by the potential of high profitability seems wrong to me on numerous levels.

Let me just go ahead and add that I'm not assuming this to be the case or motive, I'm simply expressing concern that this COULD have something to do with it.

So yeah, not a fan of combining Deus Ex, Hitman, Just Cause, or any other Square Enix IP's with Thief. Hitman and Just Cause would make a better cinematic pairing in my opinion, but I'd rather see them just let each franchise stand on it's own.

To go tampering with years upon years of established lore, characters and storylines that hold special places in the fans hearts...to me would feel disrespectful. A recipe for disaster. The folks in charge at Square Enix need to listen more to the expectations the fans have instead of thinking purely from a monetizing mindset. I believe sales and reception would reflect positively if they started paying closer attention to what their customers love and want from these legendary franchises.

So long as Thief gets the proper treatment it deserves, with respect and attention towards the lore as well as the things fans love most about Garrett and the series, I'll be happy.

As for the way Thief "fared", my understanding was also that Thief did better than anticipated due to SE reporting favorable sales. As for critical reception, it was a mixed bag from the gaming press. I remember the scores ranging anywhere from the mid 6's to 8. Certainly not the disaster people paint it as, but equally not as impressive as many had hoped either.

Originally Posted by EatenByADream
    As for the way Thief "fared", my understanding was also that Thief did better than anticipated due to SE reporting favorable sales. As for critical reception, it was a mixed bag from the gaming press. I remember the scores ranging anywhere from the mid 6's to 8. Certainly not the disaster people paint it as, but equally not as impressive as many had hoped either.
    I concur.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...