Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Legacy of Kain - Skyrim/Dragon Age RPG

Legacy of Kain - Skyrim/Dragon Age RPG

Legacy of Kain - Skyrim/Dragon Age RPG

I was browsing Steam finding that the only real Vampire RPG around was Vampire the Masquerade, which having a modern setting doesn't really interest me and wondered what an RPG set in the LoK universe would be like.

Imagine a Vampire RPG set in the world of Nosgoth, for the sake of this analogy say during Nosgoth's time period, where you get to choose your vampire clan and you have a unique beginning depending on what you picked; such as how Dragon Age origins handled it. Then you get to the main quest, where it becomes like an Elder Scrolls game. You can go off and find the main quest, perhaps involving a returning Kain, or you can wander off to any point of the map of Nosgoth to want to explore.

Each clan could have racial and gameplay bonuses just like Elder Scrolls races and each one could have a evolving tech tree you can level up by, perhaps once you get to a certain point you become an 'evolved' Vampire complete with a skin change but still have the ability to change clothes/armor etc.

Perhaps there can be various sub factions through the fighting Vampire Empire, 'Warbands' where you can gain certain quests to perform and advance in their ranks.

----

Turelim race - Advanced physical damage, powerful TK blasts evolving later. Enhanced hearing in evolved status and sheer physical power.

Dumahim Race - Speed and agility advantage, gaining stealth abilities later. Their forging abilities would allow them great access to powerful items

Zephonim race - less HP and physical damage but their stealth is second to none. Able to use mind abilities to lure human prey to them and confuse enemies

Melchaim race - Summon up ghouls and other abominations, resurrect dead bodies as your thralls and command a small army but has the drawback of constant flesh decay as well as the need for blood

Razielim race - Flight and speed abilities and resistance to sunlight weaponry, gaining advanced flight based abilities later

Rahabim race - (Pauses for a moment to give Square Enix and Pysonix a significant stare) The only Vampire that can swim, granting them access to more secrets and hidden refuges then their rivals, but terribly weak against sunlight outside of the water, forcing them to wear protective garments.
    ----

It's a good idea; I'd play it. If they wanted, they could even have time traveling as a game/plot mechanic, that way you can go to all of the different eras and see all the cool things that may not exist later. They would have to heavily modify some areas depending on the era, but as an open world game, a lot of the wilderness would be pretty much the same, and would only require slight modifications or recoloring.

They need to do this. Open world LoK awesomeness would probably make my head explode. Vampires seem to be the best choice, but they could probably do the game with humans and I'd still play it.

+1

This idea is great...perhaps i would go so far as to say this is what Nosgoth (game) should have been about...this is what they should have made as a spin-off (instead of a PvP MMO)...

ps: Just to clear up ambiguation, i do like the current Nosgoth game and am not complaining about it...

Throw in puzzles with the area exploration and I'm on board.

Originally Posted by GenFeelGood
    Throw in puzzles with the area exploration and I'm on board.
    You could probably get some pretty cool puzzles going with being able to switch time eras.

As long as the story is legit, I'd be happy.

Originally Posted by Gugulug5000
    You could probably get some pretty cool puzzles going with being able to switch time eras.

As long as the story is legit, I'd be happy.
    You could even use time travel to decide how you wish to reach your objective. Choose to travel through a tomb that was once a fortress, solving the obstacles meant to stop you, then going back in time once you are where your target would be in the past, or going back and simply charging through enemies in what is now a fortress with all obstacles removed because they have yet to be put in place.

Originally Posted by GenFeelGood
    You could even use time travel to decide how you wish to reach your objective. Choose to travel through a tomb that was once a fortress, solving the obstacles meant to stop you, then going back in time once you are where your target would be in the past, or going back and simply charging through enemies in what is now a fortress with all obstacles removed because they have yet to be put in place.
    Now I'm just picturing Raziel getting his head lopped off by an axe then narrating "No, no, that's not what happened..."

Honestly, this is what I've always dreamed of for next-gen LoK installments. Playing Skyrim made the desire for that even stronger, and if we couldn't get a Nosgoth-based MMORPG like Guild Wars or WoW, then I would at least want something Skyrim-like! They seemed like they were courting the idea of a massiely open-world game with Dead Sun, but it was more action/adventure based and less RPG-based. I think RPG-based would be the best type of game to convey the story, though, and would play thousands upon thousands of hours out of that game if it were made!

Just imagine roaming Nosgoth without an "edge" to the map, watching the sky turn to night above you and the stars and constellations of the world roll by, exploring the caves and nooks and crannies and villages, all with graphics as good as you'd get out of Skyrim or Fallout 4!

WE KNOW IT CAN BE DONE! LET US HAVE IT, SQUEENIX!

It can be done, and arguably should be done, but Squeenix doesn't care.

And how would evolved hearing work gameplay-wise. Unless the NPCs were into stealth...

I'd love to play a roaming Dumahim though...Or a Zephonim out to infiltrate the human citadel...

Sadly, I'm wont to agree with you about what Squeenix has in mind for the franchise, regardless of how good Psyonix is with Nosgoth or what the fandom's wishes are for the future of the series.. ;/

And the humans would just have to develop greater skills in battle or their own stealth-detection as opposed to trying to be quiet enough to avoid getting caught by the Vampire. ;D

I don't even care what era it's set in. No matter who you got to play as, it would be amazing! The Ancients in their war against the Hylden, the Vampires and their genocide by the Sarafan, the clans and their squabbles amongst one another. It would all be amazing!

If we got a Skyrim-style game, too, it would possibly give us a larger-scale landmass to explore to better reflect what's supposed to be the entire world? Though they never say for certain if Nosgoth is just one small country who's citizens dictate the destruction of the entire world for the rest of their neighbors, or of the world is just very small or an ocean-based world with only one very small landmass known to it's inhabitants. THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE ALL WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT! GIVE US MORE, SQUARE! PLEASE!

Originally Posted by KaininitePriestess
    Sadly, I'm wont to agree with you about what Squeenix has in mind for the franchise, regardless of how good Psyonix is with Nosgoth or what the fandom's wishes are for the future of the series.. ;/

And the humans would just have to develop greater skills in battle or their own stealth-detection as opposed to trying to be quiet enough to avoid getting caught by the Vampire. ;D

I don't even care what era it's set in. No matter who you got to play as, it would be amazing! The Ancients in their war against the Hylden, the Vampires and their genocide by the Sarafan, the clans and their squabbles amongst one another. It would all be amazing!

If we got a Skyrim-style game, too, it would possibly give us a larger-scale landmass to explore to better reflect what's supposed to be the entire world? Though they never say for certain if Nosgoth is just one small country who's citizens dictate the destruction of the entire world for the rest of their neighbors, or of the world is just very small or an ocean-based world with only one very small landmass known to it's inhabitants. THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE ALL WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT! GIVE US MORE, SQUARE! PLEASE!
    I would say it must be set somewhere in the era of Kain's empire - ideally near the beginning so one can witness and partake in the subjugation of humankind firsthand. And why it must be Kain's era - Kain has cooler kids, with the evolution and all serving well for a 'tech tree' kinda progression. And the different clans in place could allow for different beginnings or playstyles.

I would honestly prefer if it be set in Kain's era, as well, if only because he's kind of the entire reason for the Legacy of Kain, but I've always had a small pipedream of a game or book or something set during the Ancients' or Sarafan eras to give us more history. I just love those eras, and I would have been happy even if they'd just released them as a set of novels similar to the Forgotten Realms novels that D&D has.

I would honestly prefer if it be set in Kain's era, as well, if only because he's kind of the entire reason for the Legacy of Kain, but I've always had a small pipedream of a game or book or something set during the Ancients' or Sarafan eras to give us more history. I just love those eras, and I would have been happy even if they'd just released them as a set of novels similar to the Forgotten Realms novels that D&D has.
    Games in those eras is one of the reasons why I continue to advocate for spinoff tales within LoK continuity. Or maybe when/if it comes time to eliminate the Pillars (because as long as they exist, the Hylden will always scheme to ruin them and subsequently destroy the world) or eliminate the blood curse, maybe Kain will travel back to the era of that first war...

I would honestly love a series of spinoffs! Just...anything set in the world and how it relates to Kain's birthright/legacy and the Ancients and all of that would be glorious to me!

I would honestly love a series of spinoffs! Just...anything set in the world and how it relates to Kain's birthright/legacy and the Ancients and all of that would be glorious to me!
    expanding on this, instead of just being a vampire in the time of Kain's empire, how awesome would it be to play as an ancient? Fighting the Hylden and going around ancient nosgoth on a quest to find a way to decimate the other race would be really cool imo.

Originally Posted by Passarbye
    expanding on this, instead of just being a vampire in the time of Kain's empire, how awesome would it be to play as an ancient? Fighting the Hylden and going around ancient nosgoth on a quest to find a way to decimate the other race would be really cool imo.
    Even when playing Kain in BO, his actions were largely for the greater good. The Ancients, by all current accounts, were just violent zealots. If we were to play an Ancient, I'd rather it be as more than some cult soldier. Introduce some ambiguity or alternate motives to the mix. Or maybe we just play Janos and see what he was up to in the time after the war up to his death at Raziel's hand.

Though given a choice between the races, I'd much prefer a stint as the pre-banishment Hylden. We've got basically nothing on them. And of course, I'd love to play as Vorador. Could start off with his forging the Reaver, then his turning...

And if they wanted to get really obscure, well, there's always Irmok. :P
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 8th Dec 2015 at 04:06.

Aww, Irmok! ;D I always thought that old crazyguy was adorable and fascinating. I wanna know why he do the way he do!

Aww, Irmok! ;D I always thought that old crazyguy was adorable and fascinating. I wanna know why he do the way he do!
    I remember being disappointed that I couldn't kill him. I wasted a bunch of artifacts trying.
    Not disappointed because I wanted to kill him but...
    Leaving him alive in that state, y'know...He's like a crippled puppy.
    I honestly felt like it'd be a mercy. I swear, the one time I try to do good...

As the article will tell, he was apparently slated to be Moebius at some point prior to release.

So I like to think he was an oracle that got usurped when Moebius took up the mantle. He'd pretend to be the Guardian of Time and deal bogus predictions for a hefty fee of kronah...But then Moebius caught word and decided he'd take up the job for his own ends.

Also, the way he stirs that broth brings to mind the beginning of Blood Omen, the guardians with that pool of visions. Maybe when Moebius swept in, being the sadist that he is, he subjected poor Irmok to a glimpse of something wondrous/awful and he became fixated to the point of madness...Forever trying to reclaim those visions from the magical pool...

...Holy , did I just turn this one-time NPC into a tragedy tale? XD
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 8th Dec 2015 at 08:10.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    I remember being disappointed that I couldn't kill him. I wasted a bunch of artifacts trying.
    Not disappointed because I wanted to kill him but...
    Leaving him alive in that state, y'know...He's like a crippled puppy.
    I honestly felt like it'd be a mercy. I swear, the one time I try to do good...

As the article will tell, he was apparently slated to be Moebius at some point prior to release.

So I like to think he was an oracle that got usurped when Moebius took up the mantle. He'd pretend to be the Guardian of Time and deal bogus predictions for a hefty fee of kronah...But then Moebius caught word and decided he'd take up the job for his own ends.

Also, the way he stirs that broth brings to mind the beginning of Blood Omen, the guardians with that pool of visions. Maybe when Moebius swept in, being the sadist that he is, he subjected poor Irmok to a glimpse of something wondrous/awful and he became fixated to the point of madness...Forever trying to reclaim those visions from the magical pool...

...Holy , did I just turn this one-time NPC into a tragedy tale? XD
    Holy cow, man, I never knew all of that! The thought of him being Moebius makes sense, I remember wondering if that's who he was in disguise the first time I saw him! XD That leaves so many fun ideas to roll through your brain when you think about the possibilities that one little random dude contained.

Holy cow, man, I never knew all of that! The thought of him being Moebius makes sense, I remember wondering if that's who he was in disguise the first time I saw him! XD That leaves so many fun ideas to roll through your brain when you think about the possibilities that one little random dude contained.
    I actually completely forgot about him until stumbling across the article while curating information for my project. One wonders why, after deciding he wouldn't be Moebius, they still bothered to give him a name, voice and fairly important role... (Though, if one is myself, one satisfies that wondering by turning him into a tragic lunatic. XD)

His lack of fear of Kain - and some surprising knowledge of vampiric powers - raises some fun questions too...

Eh, they probably just meant to make something of the assets they'd already put into the game instead of scrap it. Maybe adding a line of dialogue or two here and there were easier then deleting him outright? Who knows. Game development is a funny thing like that.

Been reading about Dead Sun again. Got me thinking: Nosgoth exists in some part to recycle Dead Sun's visual assets - primarily the maps, animations, etcetera. But why not recycle its story assets? Some of them could make for an actually interesting installment if they were just retooled to embrace the LoK story as opposed to distancing from it:

The vampires in that era are "devoutly religious", can consume souls, and the primary plot was apparently to be some mystery around the Elder God. -- Dead Sun is set in a far-future era. But a race of soul-reaving vampires existing in the future doesn't make any sense if Kain won out against the Elder God:

A) If the EG still lived in some form, Kain will have made it known for future peoples and nobody would wish to serve the leech.
    B) If the EG was dead, still nobody would wish to even mimic servitude to him by eating souls anyway. So why would they have led themselves toward that evolution?

But say Kain set to work raising a new lot of vampires - not for conquest this time, but aid in restoring the balance. And in some moment of vulnerability for Kain, the Elder God - long-since retreated in fear of Kain's blade and starving again, but still relatively strong (even as he meets Raziel thousands of years into Kain's empire, he's quite remarkable) - strikes him down. Kain can't be killed due to his Scion-immortality but perhaps trapped someplace (to eventually be rescued, of course, by the player protagonist).

And while Kain's trapped, the Elder has a thought: Eradicating the vampires has very clearly not worked out despite all efforts...So he takes a new approach: He sets his many sights upon Kain's new children, whispering into their heads and cultivating himself a new cult...An entire cult of immortal soul reavers whom he teaches to shift between the realms (making them reliant, as Raziel once was, on portals or something else as the "only" pathway) for the purposes of serving him. He builds up back to power, and dark days are ahead.

^ Big epic opening cutscene, right there. Brings everything up to speed. Rather than Kain going on to immediately and triumphantly wipe out the Elder God (as many assumed would be the follow-up from Defiance), it's an era where he failed. That can be interesting.

Instead of being this desperately-reaching-for-an-excuse-to-reuse-shifting-powers vamp-soul-human-hybrid, Asher is a member of the new Elder God cult who begins to stray for such-and-such reason, eventually discovering what his god is and ultimately rescuing Kain. Kain, seeing Asher's ability to shift to the spectral plane at will (and inevitably comparing it to Raziel, of course), tasks him with teaching and/or magically imparting the shifting ability to Kain (may or may not be a one-way trip, depending on whether the story calls for a tragic sacrifice) to track down and end the leech once and for all.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 10th Jan 2016 at 03:05.

After seeing- and playing-Silenced Cathedral map i really hope Nosgoth is only component used to check out who would buy proper Single Player game in set in this world.
    Silenced Cathedral is... beautiful. It gave this right kind of nostalgia along with new graphic and old-time atmosphere. Just one look on this monumental pipethingi going up. to real Silenced Cathedral- makes you want ot march up there and see how everything looks inside
    Only one map gave me this "i wanna just look to see all the details on this map"- Crucible
    About "Dead Sun" or Legacy of Kain 6 in general we were arguing many times. Personally i am tired of waiting for new Raziel-Kain game, i don`t even know if i ever live to see it
    So as Ygdrasel said- why not take good things from cancelled project and use it?
    For example we have Nosgoth(land, not game :P) set in 4th paradox timeline- Elder is defeated(>sniff< Tony, nobody will be ever able to replace you) Raziel is imprisoned/killed/vanished in battle with his master, his soul was finally free, Kain is only a distant memory and Legend, as he also vanished after doing his duty.
    And here we are, landing in the world that only started recovering after thousands of years of Elder sucking it dry. Humans are still rarity so thier settelments are rare also, and vampires only got thier minds, and powers back, and also start to gather and reform thier forces.
    And thats would be the story going along with "Nosgoth" spirit- we have two sides, we pick one, and help them dominate/vanquish others.
    It would be fresh start, but of courae littered with nostalgia trips and could give us new enemy, trying to continue Elder legacy or somethin- much like Alduin was soul eater in "Skyrim" and the worst evil. we`d had some rogue vampires along with some powerful humans trying to break death-and rebirth cycle
    One warning though- i usually find proper RPGs stupid and really immersion breaking- because you have "iron sword" you have to smack the guy 100+ times with it, because his level is high... So i`d propose rather something along first "Soul Reaver", "Tomb Raider" or "Blood Rayne 2"- your character has full set of skills, but can learn some additinal ones, helping him/her along the journey, or opening doors previously closed. For example we`d pick a class that is a good combatant- noble man or something- but doors to the temple we have to raid are closed with magic- so we need to aquire enough gold/money/whatever, find some monks/mages/prophets/druid/some other crazy mystic and learn required skill
    And another thing i`d want is total freedom- in my choices of course, aside from main story line i can do/or not do- whatever the hell i want. It really me off in, let`s say "Skyrim" i have to do Thieves Gulid storyline, or be a Companion, or aquire Deadric artefacts-otherwise quest will linger eternally in my journal- thank god for mods. I`d like to be able to say " off" if the quests are opposing character i am playing- i want to play good guy- no stealing, no murdering innocents and so on. I choose human character, but in the middle of the game i decide they are not whorty of my help and i go to vampires, do some things for them to gain thier trust, become a whorshipper, then finally get my Dark Gift. I play as vampire, but suddenly thier cruelty is too much, so i go to humans, show them i`ll never hurt anyone of them, recive status "Forsaken" and help them eradicate my kind
    Something along these lines

Heretic, how many times must I advise you on the usage of the Enter key? Hit it twice.

And I said take the good things, so why in your concept has the Elder been killed already?
    The whole point of continuing from Defiance should be to kill him. That's where the story is now.
    And it'd be suuuuuuuper lame to have the main antagonist of all known history be killed offscreen between games. XD

Shifting allegiances would be an interesting feature. Though any vampire swearing he'll never hurt a human is a plain liar.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 24th Jan 2016 at 01:15.

No Tony= No Elder. Nobody will be able to replace him true we can have another talented guy do his part, but... This ain`t the same and that is why i proposed Elder "killed", just so you know.
    "Forsaken" could use volunteers, sort of like you can "sip" from humans in "Soul Reaver". But this would have to be willing people and vampire could not kill them. Game-play wise this could mean your character evolution would progress slower- less blood per lunch , and you`d have to - i really don`t like using this words like that- "gather reputation"- the more people knows you are thier defender, the more is willing to help sustain your strenght and quench thirst. So your vampire would be weaker, or process of maturation would be slower, than vampire loyal to Empire. But it also wolud mean access to different styles of combat and more deadly weapons- imagine Reaver running on the rooftops with repeater or Tyrant charging with flamethrower. And you can still just drop this thing and fall back to daggers/tomahawks/maces/claws

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last