Thread: Some Nosgoth Community Manager news...

Some Nosgoth Community Manager news...

Some Nosgoth Community Manager news...

Hi everyone!

Well, the time has come to share some news with you all...

Starting this week, I will be transitioning into a new role within the Square Enix Community team here in London. I won't be gone completely, and will still be helping on the game to an extent (especially during the initial transition period), but over time you'll be dealing more and more with a new face! My love for the game runs deep, back from the early days when I insisted on helping out while I wasn't part of the team, all the way through to today (and beyond). While I'm excited to get involved in a new challenge, I'm also sad, Nosgoth has become a major part of my life! So you won't be seeing the last of me just yet

So with that, here's an introduction to your new Nosgoth Community Manager here at Square Enix:

Please welcome Chris, aka Oghamsmith! He has joined the fray here and will be working on Nosgoth, has a background in Community management and is also an active competitive gamer. He will be working alongside Ryan aka Psyonix_Ryan.... but I'll leave it to Chris to introduce himself further
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

As the sun bid its final farewell to the fast fading day; a ghostly pallor settled upon a lonely winding road.

Silence...

Impenetrable but for a vampire bat flittering toward a penned herd of goats every now and again.

Surrendering the secrecy afforded to him by the shadows, a solitary figure shifted his weight; standing straighter - taller. Stepping out onto the winding road, his gait found an increasingly conventional rhythm with each new step. After no more than 500 yards, the quiet whisperings of a distant hubbub tickled his sensitive ears.

His pace quickened...

He soon came upon what appeared to be the crumbling remains of a once welcoming tavern. By the sound of it, a sizable band of travellers were recounting tales of heroism and valor around a roaring fire.

With nothing but the most minute hint of a wry smile, he stepped under the lintel and into the light.

Hello one and all!

I’m the aforementioned Mr Chris “Oghamsmith” Murphy, the latest addition to Nosgoth’s community team. It’s an absolute pleasure to be here, and I look forward to getting to know you all over the coming weeks, months and years.

Before I go any further, I’d just like to thank Cat for the intro (as well as the ridiculous amount of help she has been over the last few days). Cat, you’re going to be a hard act to follow, but I look forward to bringing my own madness to the community.

Gather round everyone, let’s commence with the jibber jabber and begin to get to know each other. I’ve been working in community management within the games industry for quite some time now, mostly with a focus on competitive multiplayer games. Nosgoth is right up my alley.

I’m a big fan of structured competitive play (I’m always hesitant to use the term “eSports”), and try to keep up to date with the latest happenings in that corner of the interwebs, although that’s easier said than done. Before jumping into community management I used to run online leagues for a number of games, which was a ton of fun. There’re already some great things being done with Nosgoth’s competitive scene, I’m very much looking forward to getting stuck in.

LIGHTING ROUND!!! (Top 3’s at this precise second – in a constant state of flux)

• Bands: Gojira, Russian Circles, Indukti
    • Films: Requiem for a Dream, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, Pulp Fiction
    • Shows: Vikings, Mr Robot, Generation Kill
    • Books: Airframe, LotR Trilogy, A Song of Ice & Fire series

And with that, I’ll stop my fingers from flying for the time being. Feel free to tell me about yourselves, what you like in general or specifically about Nosgoth. I’m all ears.

In general, feel free to ask any and all questions that might pop up about myself or Nosgoth. I’ll do my best to get back to you as quickly as possible; but bear with me while I get up to speed here at Square Enix.

Hope to come across some of you in-game soon .
    Chris
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Hi Chris, welcome to Nosgoth!
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

That's some sad news Cat, you will be missed, since you were such an active person on these forums, and fast with replying to questions :cry:

Welcome Chris! I hope you will like it here. I will probably ask you a lot of questions in the (near) future, like "can you give me an ETA on this" and "when is Trading coming to Nosgoth" and many more... I hope you don't mind

Again a new community manager? Wow.... changes come so fast.
    Anyways: Welcome, Chris
    signature image

First of all, thank you Cat for being the CM for Nosgoth. You did a great job, I wish you all the best with your new job.

Hey Chris, welcome to the best forum in the world.
    Good luck managing this awesome community. There's no doubt, you will have a great time here. Have fun.
    signature image
    The descent had destroyed me... and yet I lived.

It's sad to see you go Saikocat, you had some big shoes to fill after Monkeythumbz' and you owned it.

My biggest request for Oghamsmith is to avoid the S word (and by S word I mean "Soon") when talking about something that is looking like it is more than a month away from being introduced.

Originally Posted by Oghamsmith

Chris

Yup, we're gonna get along just fine. Welcome!
    signature image
    Alpha Tester, Eric fanboy, and Corey's general reason for therapy.

Hello one and all!

I’m the aforementioned Mr Chris “Oghamsmith” Murphy, the latest addition to Nosgoth’s community team. It’s an absolute pleasure to be here, and I look forward to getting to know you all over the coming weeks, months and years.

Before I go any further, I’d just like to thank Cat for the intro (as well as the ridiculous amount of help she has been over the last few days). Cat, you’re going to be a hard act to follow, but I look forward to bringing my own madness to the community.

Gather round everyone, let’s commence with the jibber jabber and begin to get to know each other. I’ve been working in community management within the games industry for quite some time now, mostly with a focus on competitive multiplayer games. Nosgoth is right up my alley.

I’m a big fan of structured competitive play (I’m always hesitant to use the term “eSports”), and try to keep up to date with the latest happenings in that corner of the interwebs, although that’s easier said than done. Before jumping into community management I used to run online leagues for a number of games, which was a ton of fun. There’re already some great things being done with Nosgoth’s competitive scene, I’m very much looking forward to getting stuck in.

LIGHTING ROUND!!! (Top 3’s at this precise second – in a constant state of flux)

And with that, I’ll stop my fingers from flying for the time being. Feel free to tell me about yourselves, what you like in general or specifically about Nosgoth. I’m all ears.

In general, feel free to ask any and all questions that might pop up about myself or Nosgoth. I’ll do my best to get back to you as quickly as possible; but bear with me while I get up to speed here at Square Enix.

Chris
    Chris, welcome to the world of Nosgoth.

First things first don't miss the first episode of the podcast: state of Nosgoth next monday at 14:30 GMT .

Next think saying good bye to lovely Cat. I am going to miss you Cat, hope you have an awesome time in your new function and hope we keep in touch.

Now the real welcoming to Chris, (Damn too much talking) check this awesome thread .
    Hope to see lots of things from you and hope you will feel right at home in the Nosgoth community. What is the reason you are hesitant in using the term esport? it is a normal term developed after the use of competitive computer gaming for too long.

Cheers

Hiru

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It's somewhat unusual to have some good feels passing through my cold dead heart :P.

Oh my, SirRudyMan; I can already tell that you're a live one. I anticipate much of this .

I'm sure we'll have plenty of fun Captain3009.

GenFeelGood, I'm not really a fan of the S word either. With that said, I do sometimes use it when absolutely appropriate. I'll make sure it doesn't happen too often .

Glad to hear it MasterFurbz, if you've got any recommendations, don't hesitate to send them my way. I'm sure there're more suitable threads (or will be soon!) for that kinda stuff though.

Hiru, I saw that thread earlier today and will do my very best to tune in while it's live if I've got a free moment. With that said, make sure your stream is being saved; if I miss it live, I'll be sure to check out the VoD!

Welcome oghamsmith! Excited to have a new face for the game when it comes to attempting contact with the developers.

Be sure to get on the Nosgoth reddit and the Nosgoth ESL forums too! The ESL forums are pretty dead right now but it's only because people have gotten used to there being very little attention brought to them as of the past few months. I've made a post lisiting some of the major concerns and ideas voiced by the overwhelming majority of ESL players HERE. If you are really motivated to help advance and grow the competitive community then definitely check it out!

Tell us some more about yourself! You have great tastes according to your top 3s by the way. :P

How long have you known of/played Nosgoth?

What made you want to take the role of community manager for the game?

How often do you play Nosgoth? (And when can we play a round together? :P)

What do you hope to accomplish by taking on this role?

What changes can we look forward to you bringing in how the developers and the community communicate, if any?

What about favorite foods?

Anyways. I look forward to your responses!

If you're at all interested in a pretty comprehensive write up I made of suggestions and ideas voiced by many others with my own little twists on them, I have a post I made some time ago that could serve as a good read. Check it out here.

Thanks!
    signature image

Hiru, I saw that thread earlier today and will do my very best to tune in while it's live if I've got a free moment. With that said, make sure your stream is being saved; if I miss it live, I'll be sure to check out the VoD!
    Well that just goes without saying. 14:30GMT is not a time many people can make.
    Maybe you can be on the podcast next time around? I think a more direct channel of communicating changes and having a real talk about the game is long overdue (and no, I do not count the "Community Streams")

Originally Posted by Equanimityjohn
    Be sure to get on the Nosgoth reddit and the Nosgoth ESL forums too! The ESL forums are pretty dead right now but it's only because people have gotten used to there being very little attention brought to them as of the past few months. I've made a post lisiting some of the major concerns and ideas voiced by the overwhelming majority of ESL players HERE. If you are really motivated to help advance and grow the competitive community then definitely check it out!
    Yes. Please.
    You said you are very much into Competitive Stuff - that delights me somewhat.
    As sad as it is to see Cat go, I am actually quite hopeful. According to your resumé you know how competitive play functions, in the background, so when the devs are spitballing things you can hopefully interject and give food for thought.
    The whole ordeal with Leagues cash prizes and the previous demotions of ESL left a sour taste in many players mouths, so if you have any power in that regard, I'd love to see ESL Coverage come back, going hand in hand with the increased prize pool. That is however based a little on the quality of Spectator Mode (which has gotten better, but not great yet) and making Noscam share that functionality, to maybe broadcast even more games after the fact, by aqcuiring the Noscam files.

Hey guys,

I've been lurking on the Nosgoth Reddit for a little while now, it's pretty hectic at the office at the moment, but I'll be sure to dive into Reddit properly if not today, then definitely tomorrow. As for the ESL forum, I'll certainly be casting my gaze over that way and taking note of the feedback everyone's popping down there; but I'm sure that the wonderful folks at ESL will be more helpful than I with much of the discussion taking place. Thanks for the link to your ESL thread, before I started I was planning to ask the competitive players about their thoughts, so that thread is super helpful .

As for my Nosgoth prowess. Well, I've had my eye on the game since early in its closed beta and jumped in-game every now and again since then. There's never enough time in the day though, and by the time I get home in the evening I'm lucky if I can eek out a couple of hours for gaming. I'm not a Nosgoth pro quite yet, but I'm working hard to try and get close :P.

Nosgoth's two core elements that really appeal tomy particular sensibilities when it comes to Nosgoth are:

1. The Mechanics: As far as I'm aware, Nosgoth truly is unique when it comes to the way it plays out mechanically. I haven't seen anything else like it, and it's a ton of fun to jump into for an hour or two.
    2. The Universe: Dark Fantasy has always appealed to me, mainly in the fiction that I read, but that love of most things macabre has crossed over to film, TV and gaming too.

If I manage to get home at a reasonable hour, lately I've been trying t0 jump into Nosgoth every evening....which reminds me, I need to start leveling my work account. I've a sneaking suspicion that you guys are quite a bit better than me. Give me a little while to get better at the game, and then I'm sure we can get some matches going .

I got into community management to bring that little bit more fun and enjoyment to diehard fans of cool and interesting games. There're plenty of ways to do that: I tend to focus on clear and responsive communication(which can sometimes be tricky in a business environment, but it's always the goal), events/contests etc outside of the game; and looking for ways to incorporate community feedback into future development plans.

Changes to communication? Well, I'm going to spend a little while getting settled into the community to see what your priorities are, while settling into the Nosgoth team and seeing how everyone rolls here. Once I get a feel for things, I'll be in a better position to see what new ideas we can take a swing at .

Food...succulent, greasy, delicious dead things. Oh how I miss you. I've been trying to be a bit more responsible lately, but when I let loose I'm a sucker for a good juicy burger. Damn they taste so good.

Da_Wolv, once I'm up to speed with everything Nosgoth; I think having a way for us to have a live conversation with the community every now and again would certainly be cool. If we go ahead with that (and I'm really hoping that's something we can make happen), the format used still needs to be decided upon. But I'm getting ahead of myself, Ryan and I still have plenty of things to discuss before something like that would happen .

As for competitive play. I think that you guys have already seen that steps are being taken to improve Nosgoth for competitive play. From event structure, to prizing, to game updates. Typically these changes do take time to implement, but the team here is constantly looking for ways to improve. I'll be looking with them, and our aim is to make the highly competitive side of Nosgoth more enjoyable and less troublesome to get involved with as we move forward with the game.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome folks. Now, time for me to get stuck into some reading !

Originally Posted by Da_Wolv
    I'd love to see ESL Coverage come back, going hand in hand with the increased prize pool. That is however based a little on the quality of Spectator Mode (which has gotten better, but not great yet) and making Noscam share that functionality, to maybe broadcast even more games after the fact, by aqcuiring the Noscam files.
    No need to waste tons of money with Live-Coverage when only 100 viewer watching this show. I'm pretty sure the whole monthly casting cost them atleast 2-3k+ which could be spent for a higher pricepool instead.

And welcome Oghamsmith !

The Universe: Dark Fantasy has always appealed to me, mainly in the fiction that I read, but that love of most things macabre has crossed over to film, TV and gaming too.
    I´m curious, how good is your knowledge about Legacy of Kain then?

I must admit, I am but a mere novice at the outset of a long and (hopefully)enlightening pilgrimage.

I did play a bit of Soul Reaver on the PS1, but copious amounts of drinking (blood, of course) has cast those memories into the fog of time.

Originally Posted by kLauE187
    No need to waste tons of money with Live-Coverage when only 100 viewer watching this show. I'm pretty sure the whole monthly casting cost them atleast 2-3k+ which could be spent for a higher pricepool instead.
    I am not necessarily talking about the ESL Live Cast, but the tools ingame to be able to stream competitive games to Spectator servers, so that ambitious and talented casters can use that footage to cast it on their streams.
    This would ofc include functionality to stream spectator mode in Real Time and with Delay, or as an intermediary solution, have the ESL admins sanction certain casters and enable them to spectate ESL matches and cast them in real time with a stream delay.

Originally Posted by Da_Wolv
    I am not necessarily talking about the ESL Live Cast, but the tools ingame to be able to stream competitive games to Spectator servers, so that ambitious and talented casters can use that footage to cast it on their streams.
    This would ofc include functionality to stream spectator mode in Real Time and with Delay, or as an intermediary solution, have the ESL admins sanction certain casters and enable them to spectate ESL matches and cast them in real time with a stream delay.
    Yeah this sounds way better. But noscam needs improvement before this could be an option.

Welcome in Oghamsmith,

This is quite a lively thread already.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Varulven
    Again a new community manager? Wow.... changes come so fast.
    Anyways: Welcome, Chris
    And now I have some more news for you: today is my last day...
    ... of having this awful stomach virus
    Psyonix Community Manager

I must admit, I am but a mere novice at the outset of a long and (hopefully)enlightening pilgrimage.

I did play a bit of Soul Reaver on the PS1, but copious amounts of drinking (blood, of course) has cast those memories into the fog of time.
    Woah, the PS1 version? Tell me, why do you hate the Dreamcast?
    Psyonix Community Manager