Thread: Patch Notes - September 16th, 2014 update

Patch Notes - September 16th, 2014 update

  1. #51
    I am glad changes were made to the whip. I am about to go test it out now for the first time. i hope it was exactly what was needed.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    With all the major problems that need fixing, and they add in new executions.......welp, I can see where the devs priorities lie.

  3. #53
    Originally Posted by Ghewlish
    With all the major problems that need fixing, and they add in new executions.......welp, I can see where the devs priorities lie.
    What is an artist supposed to do about matchmaking and balancing issues (for example)?
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

  4. #54
    Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    What is an artist supposed to do about matchmaking and balancing issues (for example)?
    I fully agree, there is more that one department in the company and they cant just sit there and twiddle thumbs while the wait for other fixes. I think its a good idea that they have added that and i understand why you can only get it with $$$, maybe at a later stage i can get it for gold. I have seen may games charge money for new items and at a later stage you can use in game currency.

  5. #55
    Good to hear we are getting closer to the new party system. I really hope for a proper VoIP revamp also.

    I am a bit confused as to why the tyrant jump cancel was nerfed. It was very situational, no one ever complains, high skill cap maneuvers are awesome and totally needed for the vampire side. The tyrant needs to have his jump cancel reinstated. I feel that bola/ hex shot/ war bow cancels are ridiculous for jump. One simple dodge mitigates half of the damage of jump. It is VERY easy to dodge all of the jump's damage. Charge needs a damage defense mechanic also. Tyrant is not easy to play at high levels, it's almost unused. If anything needs a nerf in this game then it's the humans left click damage. Except maybe alchemist, since its very hard to land unless up close. As a vamp I can dodge alchy nades at mid range. So I wouldn't nerf those. Hunter seems like the most obvious easy to top dps class in the game, and I would love to see some nerfs. I'm only talking about 10% or so. But vamps are terrible versus a decent human team.


    LOVE THE WHIP NERF!


    As for the executions, I was also hoping for a gold sink with something of this sort. But, I think maybe the weapon crafting would be perfect as a large gold sink.

    There needs to be some mechanic for vamps that allow them to compete against humans at high levels but keep the low levels from becoming unbalanced. Perhaps a movement or type of dodging trick. I was thinking something that allow a sort of wall bounce attack or dodge. So we could attack the human, dodge to a wall, and instead of landing on our feet we would plant on the wall like a climb and then when we attack we would spring off of the wall with a double distance attack animation and maybe damage bonus. It might need to be activated with another key to allow us to stick to the walls. Otherwise, we would glitch to a wall when trying to dodge around a corner. Maybe shift and dodge at the same time would activate it.something that takes great timing and aiming skill to pull off, so the low levels aren't wrecked by vamps.

    This game needs high skill cap moves and good VoIP. Some meticulous crafting to make the perfect build would be awesome. I hate random crafting attributes.

    Anyways thanks for the patch, would love to see some more interaction with the status of the development.
    Last edited by KDmP_Raze; 17th Sep 2014 at 16:01.

  6. #56
    This can't be the "big patch" we were going to get right? This is it? A month for this? I was expecting, I donno, big changes, some balance tweaks to humans and vampires, something to help with the team imbalance (I'm tired of 2v4 matches, seriously) Maybe something to prevent rage quitters (Again, 2v4 and no one will stay when they see its 3v4.) but...really? You reduce the whip damage, fine, but the jump thing...cmon, really? Oh and new execution animations. Awesome. Neat. Where is the gameplay balance.

    Seriously, the only thing that would have required "time" to pump out is the executions and optimizations, the damage tweaking could be done easy enough. But cmon, a lot of this stuff could have been shipped out what...weeks ago? The whip change, the inventory filter, the UI invite to party button, all that is SIMPLE stuff(And before you snap at me, I hate saying this, I have a bachelors in game and simulation so...don't rail on me too hard, I actually know at least half of what I'm talking about.) A lot of this SHOULD have taken only a week to pump out if you're busy. The other stuff...could have waited, seriously at this point in time, when the game is what...How many months away from release? 2? 3? And it takes you a MONTH to put out new animations and a nerf to a couple abilities.

    Now...I don't blame the developers, I blame whom ever is holding this back. Just...how understaffed is the development team? How many different things are each one working on? How overworked is the development team that something as simple as these changes took so long to get put out?

  7. #57
    This just feels like an incremental patch. I kinda would expect a big one soon. It seems to be taking a while to fix the party system so this is probably an appeasement patch.

  8. #58
    the F2P model for this game is perfect. The executions are done by team members who have nothing to do with matchmaking fixes. I have no complaints except I would like more updates on what's going on with the lobby bugs. We are in closed beta and LOVE to feel more " In the development". So getting technical and rambling about the issues the dev team is encountering is a plus to me and most of us. Keep us updated guys. Ask us for feedback on mechanics and ideas. Directly ask. Like the whip nerf and tyrant nerf. I would have liked proposed gameplay balance changes threads. So the devs can hear our thoughts on changes. Blizzard does this to an extent.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    20
    Originally Posted by SiD_Green
    Boo. Terrible change.
    Yeah definitely... at least halves the cooldown to 6 or 7 seconds when you reach the limit of the jump and touch the ground

    I use to jump like 3 time in sommerdamm T_T and it was so good..

    the ridiculous part of this update is that they seriously think we are going to spend 1600 runestones (like 7€ or more) for some crappy execution, they should sell it at like 10k of game gold minimum each
    Last edited by RainaAudron; 17th Sep 2014 at 18:38.

  10. #60
    Originally Posted by KDmP_Raze
    the F2P model for this game is perfect. The executions are done by team members who have nothing to do with matchmaking fixes. I have no complaints except I would like more updates on what's going on with the lobby bugs. We are in closed beta and LOVE to feel more " In the development". So getting technical and rambling about the issues the dev team is encountering is a plus to me and most of us. Keep us updated guys. Ask us for feedback on mechanics and ideas. Directly ask. Like the whip nerf and tyrant nerf. I would have liked proposed gameplay balance changes threads. So the devs can hear our thoughts on changes. Blizzard does this to an extent.
    I fully agree with everything you have just said

  11. #61
    Nice patch, really do like the new executions honestly I do feel the tyrant needs to be looked at overall because I hate to say it he is kinda being left out in the dust I feel. Still can't wait to see the concepts of the new classes. Oh YEEEES whip nerf I am happy.

  12. #62
    Watched this update on yt, and I must say it's horribly wonderful! But waiting so long for the code patch execution is killing me...

  13. #63
    Dang, Tyrant garbage... you guys could have at least let the jump activate when landing at its apex height. I'm done.

  14. #64
    The decision to nerf Tyrant's jump is terrible (for reasons stated numerous times in previous posts). It should work as it did pre-patch.

  15. #65
    Originally Posted by SquirrelInDaSky
    The decision to nerf Tyrant's jump is terrible (for reasons stated numerous times in previous posts). It should work as it did pre-patch.
    Ok, so no one likes the nerf, im sure they get that. Open a thread and get people to state that. Can we move on to other issues...

  16. #66
    Originally Posted by SquirrelInDaSky
    The decision to nerf Tyrant's jump is terrible (for reasons stated numerous times in previous posts). It should work as it did pre-patch.
    It's not a nerf, it was a fix for an unintended behavior. Hopefully the melee swing dodge roll is next on the list.
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

  17. #67
    Originally Posted by Khalith
    It's not a nerf, it was a fix for an unintended behavior. Hopefully the melee swing dodge roll is next on the list.
    The problem however, is that Jump Attack is now completely useless. If they would fix the rest of the unintended behavior, I'm assuming it is, then it would be useful. Now, however, the thing that made it useable is fixed and wrote off as a 'bug'.

    Currently, when you hit something on the top of your jump, even if you just scrape your little tyrant sandals, it gets interupted. It deals no damage and it goes on a full cooldown. In buildings it's the same, it just gets interupted and deals no damage. Next to that, the smallest amount of CC makes it deal no damage. You keep falling, but it won't do anything.

    Besides that, sometimes unintended behavior makes a skill great or incredibly fun to play with and instead of fixing it, should be kept in the game as intended behavior. Jump Attack was one of those skills.

    For the rest of the patch, the executions are pretty cool but overal it's a dissapointment. Not because the patch is bad, but because of the timing. Everyone has been looking forward to matchmaking fixes and some balance issues being resolved, but this had nothing of those. The hunter change could be seen as a 'balance fix' but it is not. The problem with hunters isn't in the abilities (Although whip is pretty damn strong), the problem is the weapon. It does incredible DPS compared to other human weapons while his skills are pretty on a par with the skills of other humans. That is what made whip so strong, the second knockback giving you the chance to unload a ton of damage on your target with just your weapon.

    I hope the developers will use the feedback of this patch properly and try to keep the community more up-to-date with the proces of developing. I am looking forward to a patch with better matchmaking, some resolved balancing issues and some fixed bugs. Until then I will unfortunately be taking a break from this great game.

  18. #68
    If something is completely useless without exploiting a glitch, then it's clearly not thought out very well in the first place. I find it pretty strange how people complain he'd be OP with an aiming arc, but then claim he's useless without the jumping glitch. I'd rather he had a partial arc that stops at the apex and a have the cursor change colour when he's going to land there and cancel the jump. Maybe split it into two variations of the ability if it's too much.

    I agree he needs to be more useful than he currently is though. He does get a bit type-cast as a damage soaker and his alternate role as damage dealer gets neglected.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 18th Sep 2014 at 13:03.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    20
    The best choice to me is put the cooldown on 6 - 7 seconds when you touch the apex limit and land on the ground.

    The tyrant is already to slow and the cooldown nerk perk that they made in the past is already a knife in the back for him like the ones that launch the scout, this one is a second knife and i dont want to see a third one.

  20. #70
    Originally Posted by ZoneOfDanger
    Besides that, sometimes unintended behavior makes a skill great or incredibly fun to play with and instead of fixing it, should be kept in the game as intended behavior. Jump Attack was one of those skills.
    While I agree that sometimes bugs can become full on game "features," I disagree that Tyrant's Jump cancel should have stayed.

    The biggest problem with the bug was it allowed certain attack loops that minimized risks (on top of being too good a mobility option in Siege):
    • Step 1: Sneak up on a human.
    • Step 2: Activate Enraged.
    • Step 3: Hit him with charged melee or Shockwave.
    • Step 4: Jump onto a roof without activating cooldown.
    • Step 5: Wait for that human to run to health station and jump on him.


    Arguable there were very few people who mastered this, but it always felt like an unintended play style for the Tyrant. Retreating as a vampire usually means you're out of combat for awhile, this is a core mechanic that players pick up early on. But with this bug, it took too long for intermediate players to realized that a Tyrant that retreated with a Jump is not necessarily our of combat.

    Also, the Devs stated on streams early on that they are aware that certain vampire abilities can be used for map traversal, but at the cost of it going into cooldown (this bug circumvented this design choice).

  21. #71
    Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    If something is completely useless without exploiting a glitch, then it's clearly not thought out very well in the first place. I find it pretty strange how people complain he'd be OP with an aiming arc, but then claim he's useless without the jumping glitch. I'd rather he had a partial arc that stops at the apex and a have the cursor change colour when he's going to land there and cancel the jump. Maybe split it into two variations of the ability if it's too much.

    I agree he needs to be more useful than he currently is though. He does get a bit type-cast as a damage soaker and his alternate role as damage dealer gets neglected.
    Jump wasn't really viable before the glitch was fixed, fixing it made it even more useless than before since it creates a lot more room for error without any added reward to make up for it.

    Tyrant as a damage soaker is just peoples' wishful thinking because the readily apparent design intent is to have him as a tank. The reality is he his a big slow moving target with slow attacks and he can take 1-2 seconds more punishment than other classes.
    Last edited by Aggggh; 18th Sep 2014 at 22:00.

  22. #72
    Originally Posted by Aggggh
    Jump wasn't really viable before the glitch was fixed, fixing it made it even more useless than before since it creates a lot more room for error without any added reward to make up for it.

    Tyrant as a damage soaker is just peoples' wishful thinking because the readily apparent design intent is to have him as a tank. The reality is he his a big slow moving target with slow attacks that can last 1-2 seconds more than other classes.
    Yeah, I agree with that. That's what I meant by 'type-casting'. You know, like when an actor who is good at one role and then nobody ever casts him/her in anything different, even though they are talented enough to do all kinds.

    The other thing is if you're going to include a feature, you should do it properly and make sure it's tuned and balanced and stuff. I don't think the idea about changing the cursor colour or showing the apex would be OP, since as you said, it wasn't really viable to begin with.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    19
    So the new update brings a much needed whip nerf.

    Leavers are not being adressed, but they added some 'fancy' executions. Funny why they would do so, since all I see now is humans standing while I execute them, I have never seen anyone use the new executions and it wouldnt do anything, since corpses glitch out way more than before.

    Instead of adressing everyones complaint about leavers, they introduced a new bug which results in even more 3v4. At the start of the game you can't pick your class and are stuck watching the place you would normally spawn.

    Still no bug fixes about being stuck in the environment, just today I saw a sentinel stuck on The Fane inside the wall, funnily enough thats roughly 5 meters from where I also got stuck once.

    This patch just made the game worse, and you took so long for that?

  24. #74
    Originally Posted by mingo123
    So the new update brings a much needed whip nerf.

    Leavers are not being adressed, but they added some 'fancy' executions. Funny why they would do so, since all I see now is humans standing while I execute them, I have never seen anyone use the new executions and it wouldnt do anything, since corpses glitch out way more than before.

    Instead of adressing everyones complaint about leavers, they introduced a new bug which results in even more 3v4. At the start of the game you can't pick your class and are stuck watching the place you would normally spawn.

    Still no bug fixes about being stuck in the environment, just today I saw a sentinel stuck on The Fane inside the wall, funnily enough thats roughly 5 meters from where I also got stuck once.

    This patch just made the game worse, and you took so long for that?
    To be fair, the team that worked on the executions doesn't have anything to do with coding the matchmaking system.

  25. #75
    Originally Posted by mingo123
    ...
    Instead of adressing everyones complaint about leavers, they introduced a new bug which results in even more 3v4. At the start of the game you can't pick your class and are stuck watching the place you would normally spawn.
    ...
    I'm sorry but not everyone wants to see punishment handed out to leavers. As I personally find that a horrible mechanic in many games today that breeds a sour community instead of a positive community. It is an easy fix but not a proper fix. Thus fixing it should take more time than just punishing leavers. Leavers already are punished by not getting XP/Gold for not sticking around.

    Personally I don't feel games should start unless there is for sure a 4v4. In "theory" their idea works with how quickly someone else can come in to replace. But it actually can cause issues instead. Because the only amount of time they have to keep that new person is up until the first kill. Because after that, they could be fighting an uphill battle and they won't want to bother. And that turns into people leave after someone else left and you never get a 4v4.

    What would be better is to reward people for staying in games longer. Such as more gold/xp the more games you play in a row, with a cap at how much more you can get obviously. Ultimately I'd like to see a loser be able to make as much as a winner if he plays long enough in a row. That's not a whole heck of a lot, but that is quite a nice perk. It allows you to always be "winning" in some sense.

    At any rate, punishing players for leaving cause more issues. Such as afkers, botters, griefers, etc.. Thus it doesn't solve any real problem. Aka, a horrible game mechanic that is seriously outdated with what should be done in today's gaming. Granted these are issues that can be in the game anyways, but depending on the punishment.. it can go up.

Page 3 of 5 First First 12345 Last