Thread: Dragon Quest Series Rant

Dragon Quest Series Rant

Dragon Quest Series Rant

I wanted to share this video, because I strongly agree with many of the sentiments.

http://youtu.be/PcEaVAhT8Xs

I also feel like this is very relevant to the turn-based RPG genre in general. The industry has let an entire generation grow up without them. We love them because we've had our whole lives to become familiar with them. The younger generation doesn't understand why we love them, because they haven't been EXPOSED to them. If the industry would just put some effort into developing turn-based RPGs for consoles, with respectable production value (PS2-esque, but in HD), and LOCALIZE them, the entire genre could be revived, and the entire INDUSTRY could BOOM!

I know I make a lot of negative and angry comments, but it's only because I care DEEPLY about these games, and want nothing more than to see a return of the golden age of turn-based RPGs!

I just wanted to add another video from the same youtube channel, rallying the troops for a DQ7 3DS localization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1C0...pXOwud__tmPJSQ

I feel the same way, though if a game is not going to make sales, they aren't going to release it over here.
    I think electronic distribution of games that are already released in japan would be a minimal investment risk; just translate the game and release it as an electronic download. Or maybe there is something I am missing.
    signature image

Sales aren't an issue. DQ9 on the DS did great. But Square-Enix is foolish, and has unrealistic expectations. They considered the new Tomb Raider a financial failure because nearly 3.5 million sales wasn't quite what they wanted.

They're fools. I really have no other word for it, and no reason so far to think otherwise.

I probably wouldn't use such a harsh term, but yeah it is very strange. They seem to always be late to get on the right bandwagon; just look at how long it took for them to realise the benefits of putting games on Steam / embracing digital distribution on PC.

With Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D, they have already invested all the money, time and effort in making the full remake (in Japanese). All they need to do is do an English translation and then stick it on the 3DS E-Shop in our regions. I don't understand what's so hard or risky about the whole process.

Don't get me wrong, I love Square Enix - when I see one of their games I know that I'm in for something pretty amazing. The Last Remnant was one game I recently played (had never heard of it before) and it was awesome.
    signature image

Okay, but Dragon Quest is a well established series in Japan. There's a DQX's monthly fee, they could invest some of the money they get from the japanese players to pay the translation of these games...

If they made a good marketing campaing DQ7 would sell even better than DQIX did. They could mention its a looooong game, that you can custimize the vocations (the characters appearence changes depending on their vocation), that its a classic rpg experience (damn, bravely default sold thanks to that), that its a well received entry on one of the classic jrpg series, that it is part the first jrpg series, that Akira Toriyama designed the characters, that has spotpass functions... i dont know, they have tons of things they could use to give the game some promotion. (Also, they should start promoting it while its being translated so other people notice the game, not just us hardcore DQ fans)

About the Monster series say it has tons of monsters (DQM2 has over 750 monsters, im not sure how many monsters are on Terry's Wonderland), Akira Toriyama designs, wifi competitions, a cool synthesis system that lets you fuse monsters (hello, SMT/Persona fans), that they're long, dedicating, that DQM2 has one (another one in the post game) customizable monster and a brand new story (in the post game). I dont know. There are planty of interesting things,
    And about Pirate Slime (that's how i call the 3ds slime game) say its fun, available for players of any age, easy to get in, FUN (really, rocket slime is one of the funniest games i know).
    I won't talk about DQ10 because there is too many things to talk about.

But you get my point, right? A good marketing campain for a good product can make the difference. DQ is really good, don't let it die here just because you are scared it wont sale. Fight to make those sales a reality, damnit! MAke ads, make promos (for example, in the japanese eshop there was an offer in which you could get Bravely Default and Dragon Quest VII discounted and if you bought one, you could get a bigger discount in the other. that was when i bought DQ7 in the 3ds i imported just to play this series)

And i dont believe the sales excuse. If Ghostlight managed to translate and distribute Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 (for DS) in Europe despite beinga diminute team, SQEX CAN tranlsate and distribute the DQ games in the european languages (at least multi-5 like they used to in the ps2/ds/wii DQ entries)

A good marketing campaign already WAS successful for Dragon Quest in the West. DQ9 did great over here because Nintendo actually bothered to promote it. There were TV commercials, posters in stores and full-page ads in magazines, even official multiplayer meet-ups.

The RPG is still a popular format especially on the handhelds. How many children and adults still play Pokémon? DQ9 did well in the West and bought lots of new gamers into the series. It was probably the first to breakthrough over here and something that the next game can build on in sales. Releasing DQ9 on 3DS and then DQ10 on the WiiU instead of 3DS was just a clumsy mistake. SE and Nintendo have to build a fanbase by putting out the games on the same console. If they get more DQ titles on 3DS am sure it will do well.

In reference to the other titles mentioned here I really enjoyed Bravely Default as great classic RPG and the criticism of TR(2013)'s sales was ridiculous.