Thread: Your general thoughts and opinions

Your general thoughts and opinions

I actually really liked the characters from XIII and I look forward to seeing them. Vanille and Fang have been crystallized long enough. I would also like to know what happened to Sazh and his son after XIII-2. Not adding them to the game would mean that their stories are forever unresolved, and that Lightning Returns would be too far removed from the previous titles.

i just wanna see lightning kick ass again

Other than them bombing the release date which I thought was supposedly fall 2013 now its winter 2014. Any other thoughts on this?

It looks pretty good, I'm very hyped for the game now.

im relieved as ARR comes out August 27th, this comes out February 11th. A nice Birthday present the collectors or triiology will make . I love how Snow looks. The game is shaping up great...

one thing that worries me though is they said one playthrough could be done in 10 hours -.- even if we have to repeat / have the time go back i doubt it would last much longer than what they said. despite that being a quick playthrough

Theres suppose to be several endings influenced from the time paradoxes in 13-2 I read somewhere.

i doubt they're good i mean look at the other endings in 13-2 some feels like theyre just added for the sake of increasing the numbers. i have high hopes for this game I just feel like its not going to get the #'s it deserves and it feels like an even shorter game than 13-2 main story wise but its still full priced -.-

For starters, the paradox endings were added for fun. They were all impossibilities, things that it was stressed couldn't actually have happened. The game developers were trying to reach a compromise between multiple endings (which players always scramble for, it seems) and the ending that they'd created to move the story forward.

Next, there are not several endings in Lightning Returns according to the developers thus far. It's supposed to be one ending, and satisfying. It was hinted that the Paradox Endings from XIII-2 could have some effect on the canon of the world of Nova Chrysalia (and therefore the story of Lightning Returns), but it was a passing thought with no actual confirmation. If they were involved, it was mentioned that they wouldn't really be game changers as far as I recall.

The game is designed to be played within 20-30 hours. Each in-game day is somewhere between an hour and two hours long. We'll split the difference and say an hour and a half, which would put the full time of the game at just under 20 hours. Each continent in the game has a story that will supposedly take around 4 in-game days to complete, which means 4-8 hours apiece. If you spend the whole time doing missions and spend your remaining time opening treasure chests, you can probably beat the final boss of the game in around that much time. You would be trading time for high-powered equipment and not really experiencing the story.

However, there doesn't appear to be any way to voluntarily initiate the final fight yet. As far as we've been made aware, your time must run out. Since doing missions and in some case fighting monsters will give you extra time, you are unlikely to experience so short a playthrough unless you are reckless with your use of EP and time. I have a feeling they may have gone through a bit of a rebalancing with this new release date set in mind, so stay tuned for the E3 coverage.

Originally Posted by imported_Leaferian
    For starters, the paradox endings were added for fun. They were all impossibilities, things that it was stressed couldn't actually have happened. The game developers were trying to reach a compromise between multiple endings (which players always scramble for, it seems) and the ending that they'd created to move the story forward.

Next, there are not several endings in Lightning Returns according to the developers thus far. It's supposed to be one ending, and satisfying. It was hinted that the Paradox Endings from XIII-2 could have some effect on the canon of the world of Nova Chrysalia (and therefore the story of Lightning Returns), but it was a passing thought with no actual confirmation. If they were involved, it was mentioned that they wouldn't really be game changers as far as I recall.

The game is designed to be played within 20-30 hours. Each in-game day is somewhere between an hour and two hours long. We'll split the difference and say an hour and a half, which would put the full time of the game at just under 20 hours. Each continent in the game has a story that will supposedly take around 4 in-game days to complete, which means 4-8 hours apiece. If you spend the whole time doing missions and spend your remaining time opening treasure chests, you can probably beat the final boss of the game in around that much time. You would be trading time for high-powered equipment and not really experiencing the story.

However, there doesn't appear to be any way to voluntarily initiate the final fight yet. As far as we've been made aware, your time must run out. Since doing missions and in some case fighting monsters will give you extra time, you are unlikely to experience so short a playthrough unless you are reckless with your use of EP and time. I have a feeling they may have gone through a bit of a rebalancing with this new release date set in mind, so stay tuned for the E3 coverage.
    Actually I read that in a producer interview, or heard it on one thats why I said what I said.

Originally Posted by Tate

Actually I read that in a producer interview, or heard it on one thats why I said what I said.

The interview that you're most likely referring to (and the only one so far where either of the developers was directly asked about Paradox Endings and their effect on Lightning Returns, to my knowledge) came from the French website FFDream. I was the one who translated that interview from French to English for Nova Crystallis, and this is what was said:

FFDream: Did you think of influencing the contents of Lightning Returns in comparison with the different endings of FF XIII-2?
    Motomu Toriyama: I would say that the different endings of FFXIII-2 let [the player] envisage several different stories. As regards Lightning Returns: FF XIII, we approached the scenario so this one takes place by taking count only of the main ending of Final Fantasy XIII-2. However the paradox endings draw away several different stories, and it is possible that they will manifest themselves in some way in main history.

It has been said many times during development (particularly around the announcement) that the game will only feature one ending. There was a possibility mentioned that certain parts of the ending may be influenced by your actions within the game, but there were no solid plans to make it this way. It was implied that if it were done it would be in line with additional scenes rather than an actual change.

Game looks decent. Music is dreck.

Originally Posted by redthefirst

one thing that worries me though is they said one playthrough could be done in 10 hours -.- even if we have to repeat / have the time go back i doubt it would last much longer than what they said. despite that being a quick playthrough

However, Abe has stated he acknowledges players want a 100-hour RPG experience and that is possible with Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Re...

I want the music for this new trailer. Now.

The trailer was a nice morsal to increase my appetite for the game, so I hope we get some more info at E3, possibly a longer extended trailer with more characters or something. Seeing both Noel and Snow against Lightning makes me wonder if those two are in cahoots or if they're doing their own thing.

As for music, "Savior" sounds pretty good. Naoshi is really starting to gain my favour when it comes to gaming music. Hope they get him to do more stuff in the future.

Over-all the graphics seemed to have improved quite a bit since the last trailer. I spotted quite a few new outfits Lightning can wear, and they look pretty good in my opinion.

I am a bit disappointed that the game is getting pushed to 2014 now, but what can you do? It's not like I still won't buy it, lol. I guess it works out since I'm already going to be buying a lot of games in the next couple of months. Hopefully SE will give LR a special edition for NA and EU regions. Artbook and OST would be nice, but I really want that Play Arts Kai of LR Lightning *_*

That's his name? Naoshi? He sucks.

Originally Posted by new_tradition

Artbook and OST would be nice, but I really want that Play Arts Kai of LR Lightning *_*

The Ultimate Box for Japan has a special version of the PAK figure, it's pretty cool. Special sword and shield, and all of the white/gold parts of her cape and fauld have been changed to black/red. I kinda wish we could get the Lightning Returns controller over here, but if not then I'll just import it when I have the cash.

I would also really like the Japanese casing for Lightning Returns. That blue background is gorgeous.

Agreed. The details on the figurine are really stunning. I actually do need a new PS3 controller, so I'd be fine with that coming out overseas if not the Lightning figurine xD

I just don't understand what the turbo controls are supposed to be...

I have that wallscroll image with the same blue background on my phone now. So purty :3

Originally Posted by new_tradition

Agreed. The details on the figurine are really stunning. I actually do need a new PS3 controller, so I'd be fine with that coming out overseas if not the Lightning figurine xD

I just don't understand what the turbo controls are supposed to be...

I have that wallscroll image with the same blue background on my phone now. So purty :3

Oh no, this is the one I meant. As for the turbo, all controllers made by the company doing the LR controller have the turbo buttons. It would be TERRIBLE to use for Lightning Returns though, obviously.

I'm undecided on this title. 13 was monotonous, 13-2 had a weak story and an annoying moogle pet. I did enjoy the battle systems, but square really needs to drive their titles with better stories.

I cant comment on the story seeing im a bit on the fence on it as well but gameplay wise being able to move around while attacking / in battle is neat like a mini version of 15 imo. the next time im firing up my ps3 is when this game comes out

Actually LR is still using ATB system. Attacks uses up ATB gauge like other FF games. When you press attack, Lightning will run to the enemy regardless of where she is to strike the enemy, so it's not Action RPG like type-0 (haven't played type-0, not sure if is action rpg). FFXV will be real time battle, and Type-0 was likely an experiment preparing for FFXV.

YES I know it's an old thread. Let's celebrate the new forum by continuing conversations that were stopped because of the merger.

I didn't like any of the paradox endings for FFXIII-2 and I'm pretty sure I won't like the ending for Lightning Returns either (I saw a clip of it from the Japanese version already on youtube). If everyone dies in the end, then what's the point of wasting hours of our lives playing the game? I was also rooting for Serah and Noel all through FFXIII-2. I think Snow's too pushy and arrogant for her. And why doesn't Lightning ever find someone to love? This series is too depressing. I probably won't buy Lightning Returns just to avoid the disappointment.

For those of you who imported the Japanese version, what are your thoughts, should I go ahead and pre-order the game, or not. I loved both FFXIII and FFXIII-2, but have been hearing worrisome stuff about this entry, even from fans of the previous 2 installments. Many thanks.

I tested out the demo, and it looks pretty good, but when I heard that you can control lightning's movements in battle, I thought we'd be able to move faster than a snail (well, she can move fast enough when you select an attack, but that's about it). Am I missing something? Maybe you have to hold a run button or something, change some setting or other, or maybe it's forcing you to use the evade skill in order to move quickly. It'll probably go over this more thoroughly in the actual game, but if anyone can give me some advice on this point, I'd appreciate it.

Page 4 of 5 First First 12345 Last