Thread: We can only hope (Spoilers)

We can only hope (Spoilers)

So, I recently finished episode 4 after going out on a limb and buying life is strange. (Which by the way, is easily my game of the year)
    And I can't help but feel that we are going to wrap back around to the start of the game and are going to be forced to let Chloe die.
    We have had a glimpse of the butterfly effect during the alternate reality where Chloe was paralysed, and the fact that Chloe was saved might have sparked something.
    Although the storm dream/vision was the games prologue and not Chloe being saved, so there is hope.

It seems as if there's some cosmic force that enforces "certain things have to happen". And Chloe's death is one of those things. But honestly, if this is the case I'll probably cry.
    BUT I also feel that it's pretty chicé and so far I've been pretty surprised by where the story goes, so I hope this does not happen.

I just can't shake the feeling that Chloe has to die.
    And honestly, I don't won't her to die. When her timeline was changed and she ended up paralysed I felt sick.
    I felt sick that she was changed as a character. I loved the Chloe that the real timeline moulded, and I didn't want the great times that were had in the first 3 episodes to ever end.

So I'm sat here waiting, hoping that episode 5 ends with Chloe being alive and Max being at her side.
    And I hope I'm not alone...

Quote Originally Posted by -Mono- View Post
    I just can't shake the feeling that Chloe has to die.
    And honestly, I don't won't her to die. When her timeline was changed and she ended up paralysed I felt sick.
    I felt sick that she was changed as a character. I loved the Chloe that the real timeline moulded, and I didn't want the great times that were had in the first 3 episodes to ever end.

So I'm sat here waiting, hoping that episode 5 ends with Chloe being alive and Max being at her side.
    And I hope I'm not alone...
    You are not alone.

I don't want Chloe to stay dead either. Damn the cosmic force trying to enforce that. And not only am I hoping, I am just praying that when Ep. 5 Polarized is released, DONTNOD will let us save her again and keep her alive for the rest of the finale. After everything that her and Max have gone through up till now, this just can't be the way it ends for her.

Since there will be multiple endings in the final episode, I'm hoping that one of them will include Max and Chloe being able to live a better life together. After all the hell they've been through and with what's happened in Arcadia Bay, they hella deserve that much.

We won't be going back to the start. How do I know? Because it makes no sense for the narrative or direction of the game. There would be no point to anything that happen, all the good and bad that has happened to the characters over the course of the story would be irrelevant. And for what purpose would Max's powers be for? You don't give a person the power to make change and tell them to sit on their hands. You might as well say Max should always be a sad little loser, taking selfies at the back of the classroom.

That's not to say that keeping Chloe alive couldn't come at a price, but I doubt that price would be the destruction of an entire town.

Chloe will live, otherwise almost everything in the entire game thus far would be pointless.

Think about it this way:

Before Chloe got shot in the bathroom, Max got a vision of the tornado.

While Chloe was talking about leaving Arcadia Bay at the lighthouse, Max got a vision of the tornado.

After Chloe used a gun irresponsibly (potentially shooting herself in the process) and before Frank showed up at the junkyard waving a knife around, Max got a vision of the tornado.

Before Chloe got pasted by a train, Max got a vision of the tornado.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like the exact polar opposite of "Chloe absolutely has to die."

Now, granted, Max didn't get a vision of the tornado before the end of Episode Four. Not because "Chloe needs to die," but because we're past the point that "Chloe needs to live." I'm of the opinion that after they find Rachel's body, Chloe is expendable. In which case whether she lives or dies is up in the air. Small comfort, I know, but it's not an inevitable march towards mortality.

At least that's my read on it. I could be wrong.

I don't know about any of you but I'm not going to let that happen

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPepsi View Post
    Think about it this way:

Before Chloe got shot in the bathroom, Max got a vision of the tornado.

While Chloe was talking about leaving Arcadia Bay at the lighthouse, Max got a vision of the tornado.

After Chloe used a gun irresponsibly (potentially shooting herself in the process) and before Frank showed up at the junkyard waving a knife around, Max got a vision of the tornado.

Before Chloe got pasted by a train, Max got a vision of the tornado.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like the exact polar opposite of "Chloe absolutely has to die."

Now, granted, Max didn't get a vision of the tornado before the end of Episode Four. Not because "Chloe needs to die," but because we're past the point that "Chloe needs to live." I'm of the opinion that after they find Rachel's body, Chloe is expendable. In which case whether she lives or dies is up in the air. Small comfort, I know, but it's not an inevitable march towards mortality.

At least that's my read on it. I could be wrong.
    There was a glaring absence of "Tornado" in ep 4. That IS weird.

I think your idea that Chloe is expendable after pointing Max to Rachel doesn't make much sense to me: Max and Chloe's friendship is the one thing that the writers kept talking about as the central theme of the story (next to "nostalgia" and "making choices in your life"). It wouldn't make sense to abandon the possibility to build on that in ep 5.

Honestly, I'm more afraid of Max dying (or worse..). The way the 4th episode ended, building up all these memories with your fellow classmates, made it seem like Max's last hurrah...I felt like she knew this might be her last night alive and wanted to tie up loose ends with her schoolmates....GOD, EVERYTHING JUST SEEMED SO NOSTALGIC AND MELANCHOLY. >.<
    Like oh hey Alyssa...and Alyssa's like "Max, you're my hero. Let me tell you a quote." And then Max was all, "Tell me later, if I make it back alive."
    Sure, she didn't say that EXACT line, but that's the way I interpreted it...
    Or maybe she just wanted something to look forward to, even though she wasn't sure if she'd ever see any of them again...

Plus, Max is SUPER ATTACHED to Chloe now, (borderline obsessive), especially after experiencing the alternative timeline and then being reunited with her again in the current one. Max made Chloe a promise that she will NEVER leave her. Surely, our own personal player choices may dictate otherwise, regarding whether she ultimately lives or dies, but knowing where Max's head is at now, I doubt she'd ever let Chloe die unless it was Chloe asking for it
    And even then, it's still Chloe's decision, not Max's, (even if you support her in that decision like I did).
    I wish Rachel was here...

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFrog View Post
    There was a glaring absence of "Tornado" in ep 4. That IS weird.

I think your idea that Chloe is expendable after pointing Max to Rachel doesn't make much sense to me: Max and Chloe's friendship is the one thing that the writers kept talking about as the central theme of the story (next to "nostalgia" and "making choices in your life"). It wouldn't make sense to abandon the possibility to build on that in ep 5.
    You're right, I may have misspoke. "Expendable" is a strong term. I rather should have said "Her fate is up to us."