Thread: The "Not" Theory, and how it may shake out.

The "Not" Theory, and how it may shake out.

Hi. My name is Johnny, and I'm new here. In lieu of gifts, I bring an out-there theory for you to gnaw on.

I wrapped it in spoiler tags for scrolling convenience, because, uh... it's a doozy. I can state that I did not knowingly infringe on any other theory, even though some of the more universal ones do incorporate in their own way.

Now go ahead and start poking holes. It's what it's there for.

Welcome to the boards Johnny! It's always great when we have new people join.

Right now, there are so many variables to consider (and in light of recent Episode 4 events) so many possibilities. I would love to see this theory in action (it could very well be true.)

I'm still trying to wake up, but the major hole I see is Max trying to save Not-Rachel. When the game starts, Max notes that she has only been there for two months. Rachel's been missing for six. That means there's no Max "selfie" in Arcadia Bay at the time of Rachel's disappeeance, so she can't travel back in time to THAT particular point (though you did use the word "somehow" so there could be other possible ways).

Hope to see more theories from you!

My sincerest thanks for the warm greeting. And they say the internet is evil.

Yeah, that is the hole, isn't it? The only feasible work-around I see is the theory that's been advanced that the photo jumping power relies less on the person, and more on the power. Namely that if you have the power, you can assume the form of someone else who has the power by jumping into a photo of them, before jumping back into your own body further down the timeline.

Because the universe couldn't handle two people with time powers in the same timeline (I have no science to back this up, but just thinking about it gives me a headache), and if the rest of my theory holds, Rachel lead Max to the one person putting pictures of her everywhere.

Or it could be something else. Or I could be wrong. Or we could all be wrong. Oh, I do so hope it's the last one. That would be surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPepsi View Post
    My sincerest thanks for the warm greeting. And they say the internet is evil.
    Yeah, that is the hole, isn't it? The only feasible work-around I see is the theory that's been advanced that the photo jumping power relies less on the person, and more on the power. Namely that if you have the power, you can assume the form of someone else who has the power by jumping into a photo of them, before jumping back into your own body further down the timeline.
    Not necessarily a hole. We know that Max can't jump back to a point geographically and chronologically near Rachel's presumed death. However, it has been made abundantly clear that decisions made in the past have wide-ranging implications. It is entirely possible that something Max does years before or hundreds of miles away could save Rachel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssieth View Post
    Not necessarily a hole. We know that Max can't jump back to a point geographically and chronologically near Rachel's presumed death. However, it has been made abundantly clear that decisions made in the past have wide-ranging implications. It is entirely possible that something Max does years before or hundreds of miles away could save Rachel.
    Hmmm. Do you have a hypothetical in the back of your head for this possibility? If so, I'd love to hear it.

Well, Max could go back and warn Rachel to escape. But if Rachel escaped she wont be dead, leading to Max never needing to go back and warn her, thus creating a paradox. So Max has to think Rachel is dead so she'll go back and save her.

Maybe Frank or David have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OHWceta View Post
    Well, Max could go back and warn Rachel to escape. But if Rachel escaped she wont be dead, leading to Max never needing to go back and warn her, thus creating a paradox. So Max has to think Rachel is dead so she'll go back and save her.

Maybe Frank or David have something to do with it.
    There is not such a thing as time paradoxes in Max's power. If she goes back and changes something, she creates an alternate dimension where it worked that way. She practically is her younger self.

Quote Originally Posted by Tataboj View Post
    There is not such a thing as time paradoxes in Max's power. If she goes back and changes something, she creates an alternate dimension where it worked that way. She practically is her younger self.
    I concur. For all the rewind and Polaroid shenanigans, every possible timeline is running on the same clock. You jump through a picture of the Kennedy assassination at noon on Tuesday and stop Oswald and spend three hours looking at a timeline where Kennedy never died before jumping back and undoing everything, you're still coming back on Tuesday at three PM to a world where Kennedy died. Jumping into a six-month-old picture to save Rachel means it'll still be Friday, October 11th before the changes you made fully enact. The bog-standard, paradox-riddled rules of time travel don't apply here. Otherwise, the game could potentially be over before it starts.

That's why the game's so smart. Keeping everything on the same clock means there won't be any Somewhere In Time holes, where the story has to explain a watch that quite literally came from nowhere.
    Last edited by JohnnyPepsi; 25th Aug 2015 at 15:26.

I love your theory Maybe it's a bit complicated to explain in one chapter making it easy to understand and enjoy but I'd love to see it in the game

My sincerest thanks. Though to be slightly fair to myself, I just like to hear myself type and my theory in practice might not take that much time to explain within the game. Episode five is going to have to be mostly plot anyway, as they've appeared to have jettisoned most of the supporting cast at the party (if those conversations felt like goodbyes, they most likely were).

Or... y'know... not. I'm wrong about a lot of stuff. For instance, I thought that Fantastic Four movie would make money. More the fool I.

I love the discussion and the theory.
    But I have the feeling that this game is not really about being a clever time-travel simulation. Especially given the "there are 2 moons now" and "there is a sudden ninja-eclipse" stuff that makes no sense when you say that each "jump" creates a different, unique reality.
    Where would a second moon come from in that theory?

Right, anyway, my point is: i think you put too much effort into the time-line stuff. I think the story is more rooted in the emotional implications and will bend the time-line stuff to support an emotional point rather than adhere to it's own rules.

And this makes any predictions and theories difficult. Or rather, moot.

I get the impression that Rachel is supposed to be dead, at least in that reality which we witnessed. Whether or not she had "the power" is a completely different theory. It may be that the story will allow Rachel to be alive in a different reality, but that is just guessing.

I feel you. But the weather phenomenon is present in both of the realities we've been in. Like I said, the three major constants with both realities are that Rachel is missing, the weather and wildlife are acting strange, and Max can alter time. Being that Rachel's death predates the other two, it's reasonable to guess that it explains the other two. I don't have an explanation for everything, this is very much true, but a theory that explains everything explains nothing.

The thing is, though, that I agree with you that the emotional drama will (and should) take center stage. But I think Dontnod wants to have its cake and eat it too. Episode four took such pains to establish some kind of internal logic to how the timelines work (they're all on the same clock, jumping to another reality results in duplicates, etc.) that I can't see how it will just function as "Here's your plot coupon, go get Chloe back." I believe there's something more to it.

If my theory holds, though, the ending of the game will accentuate the Chloe-Max relationship. Go save Rachel and create a new reality, or stay and let the storm hit? What will Chloe say? If you treated her shabbily throughout the game, will she tell you to go? If you treated her well, will she tell you to stay? What happens if you defy her wishes? Will you save the woman she loves? Will you be yet another person who walks away from her? Decisions, decisions.