Thread: Final Fantasy VII Remake Combat System, Turned Based Please.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Combat System, Turned Based Please.

Honestly, I wanted turn based like the original but was full of feels for the new trailer. I can still play VII on my vita and just want to play the remake before I'm too damned old to see my tv clearly. I think too much whining will just set them back to keep messing with the system just like XV and then we'll experience a decade of delays and Please be excited comments.

As long as it's not a linear POS like the XIII series with no world map, I'll be happy.
    Last edited by rainesohma; 5th Dec 2015 at 23:16.

Unless the battles are by turns I won't buy it, that's sure. Is it so difficult to understand that the only downside that the game could have are the graphics? You can change something, otherwise remove , add something new ; but nothing that alters what was the game and because the original FFVII left a mark on many people.

I'll never again buy anything even remotely related to Final Fantasy.

This has made me feel like modern gaming, in general, is just pointless. I'm ready to throw in the towel, and lock myself away with my old games...

The whole beginning of the presentation, with the old man saying "get off my lawn", followed by this reveal, feels like they were intentionally trying to spit on us. It's like they WANT us to go away. I don't understand the logic there.

How is it a good business move to say, "Once you pass the age of 25, we don't want your money anymore. For the last ~50 years of your life, when you have more disposable income than ever, please ignore us"?

^All of this. SE, looking at the latest trailer for VII I have decided you will not be getting my money. I'm sorry but it looks like hot garbage. For years we asked for a remake and you gut the very thing that made the game great. Shame on you SE. I cant be to surprised though you did the same to Front Mission why not FF too. I wish they would stop listening to whomever it is that thinks this is great idea. This is like someone turning Metal Gear into a 3rd person hack and slash... oh wait, Konami did that and it flopped.

Gotta say I agree with Kalkano here. I played FFVII when it first came out, to this day it remains one of my favorite titles but after the teaser of 'action' combat i won't be buying it. I don't like that genre of game.I love FFVII because it is one of the greatest TB games made. I like turn based games, it presents a unique puzzle in every combat situation and requires foresight and cunning to resolve, the whole party is relevant and my imagination can fill in the blanks in the unrealistic combat. I dislike mashing buttons until the game pats me on the head and tells me i did real good. I am one of the masses that don't want the change, Nomura is wrong, he can go make his KH all he wants but he is bringing shame to FF and possibly killing the franchise. If their goal is to appeal to the lowest denomenator they even missed that mark cause its not a shooter. They are alienating the original fans with the new combat so my guess is that it will flop. Hard. Like metal gear revengence hard. But hey it's their MO, they killed Front Mission by ripping the turn based combat out so i guess its no shock really. What i would have loved to have seen from this was a Valkyria Chronicles style game, that would have been amazing. But its not what were getting, and that makes me sad ultimately, it seems like Square has no idea what people want keeps listening to fools like Nomura. Good news is if they keep it up they wont be around forever so thats cool.

Everyone guess what I saw the video of remake of Final Fantasy VII for playstation 4, it show combat system with option
    Attack
    Magic
    Summon
    Items
    Defend

Look like it'll be turned base! Here a proof, enjoy the video http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/05/f...e-ps4-trailer/

Everyone guess what I saw the video of remake of Final Fantasy VII for playstation 4, it show combat system with option
    Attack
    Magic
    Summon
    Items
    Defend

Look like it'll be turned base! Here a proof, enjoy the video http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/05/f...e-ps4-trailer/

Wait, I saw the video and it showed the Turned Base combat system..
    Attack
    Magic
    Summon
    Items
    Defend

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/05/f...e-ps4-trailer/

Wait, I saw the video and it showed the Turned Base combat system..
    Attack
    Magic
    Summon
    Items
    Defend

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/05/f...e-ps4-trailer/

If its truely not turned base, than I'm done with you SE! I didn't buy the recent Dragon Warrior/Quest due to Action rpg.. It should stick to turned base combat system.

How about giving us a option on which Battle system we want to play.. Chose Turned Base, or Action Combat? That way everyone will be happy, without worrying about what the battle system will be alike.

Well it seems like most of you, like me, would rather play an upscaled, beautiful HD remaster of this game rather than a complete remake. In their place I would just remaster 7,8 and 9 to be honest, just like they did with 10.
    Here's what they could look like (these guys are nuts for not making this):
    http://www.jakerowell.com/blog/galle...l-fantasy-ix/# (ORIGINAL FFIX pre-rendered backgrounds- ALL still available)
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/11...keover-by-fan/ (FAN MADE ! HD BALAMB GARDEN)

Seriously Square, WAKE UP

Well it seems like most of you, like me, would rather play an upscaled, beautiful HD remaster of this game rather than a complete remake. In their place I would just remaster 7,8 and 9 to be honest, just like they did with 10.
    Here's what they could look like (these guys are nuts for not making this):
    http://www.jakerowell.com/blog/galle...l-fantasy-ix/# (ORIGINAL FFIX pre-rendered backgrounds- ALL still available)
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/11...keover-by-fan/ (FAN MADE ! HD BALAMB GARDEN)

Seriously Square, WAKE UP

The beauty of these old JRPGs also lie in the complex and strategic menus and battle systems. Make every goddamn game of theirs looking like the Witcher pisses me off

Ugh. I really wish people would stop throwing that crap around. I understand the desperation, but it's an ARPG. 100%.

An ARPG with character switching, or even forced character switching based on a fatigue meter (or something like that) is still a complete ARPG.

Just withhold your money. Walk away from Square with your middle fingers up.

PETITION : PLEASE MAKE DLC WITH SOME TURN BASED BOSS FIGHTS

Ok so the new gameplay trailer is out but low and behold no turn based combat...ok i knew SE would screw over long time fans like myself

its a shame they couldn't do what was asked ,it was us oldies that wanted the remake and got it remade by public demand something I never thought would come true

Ok the combat is what it is and there is no changing that now-----
    But If they could atleast add some turn based boss fights as a thank you to its fans i would be satisfied with that, is that too much to ask?

Please ADD some DLC with turn based bosses as a thankyou or atleast a nod to the guys that tbh made this happen

what you guys think? please comment below

Originally Posted by dravenla
    the last great final fantasy game was lost oddessy on xbox 360 LOL

That is all i wanted from the FF VII remake, that kind of turn based..
    agree lost odyssey was *** awesome, im a huge final fantasy 7 fan i mean really big but because the remake isnt turnbased i would actually rather a lost odyssey sequel maybe a gaming company will cash in on SE'S stupid mistake

FF7 Not Turn Based!?

With the news of a FF7 remake the main question I think many people me included have is, Why is it not turn based!? And legacy turn based at that, not this one character controlled hybrid action inspired combat system. What are you thinking! It looks like every 3rd person action adventure game plus mmorpgs I've played in the past 5 years. There is nothing special in I am seeing when I watch that preview trailer..only thoughts of what could have been. I wanted to see three character in a row with next gen graphics. Not pushing me down some street in epic battle scenes, that's definitely not what I played the original for and most likely why I am not going to play this one.

It would be just as bad if Capcom were to remake Resident Evil 2 and have it be a First Person Shooter. Would that make any sense whatsoever? I mean are you really going to cut out and completely dump the core combat system of a legendary game, and then say its a "Remake." Even the thought of that is completely ridiculous. You forget what really brought the original to life was having to take your time and sit there. Watching the characters' and enemies' animations and behavior in battle. Each one individually, slowly over time. That was the essence of all those games back then and its totally being sold out for fast paced graphic showcases. Its a shame.

I did expect SE to find a way to ruin the remake of FFVII, but I was really hoping it wouldn't be by removing the iconic turn-based combat, and specially by replacing it with such generic action-based gameplay. You can add me to the list of people who would have loved to buy FFVIIR LE or FFVIIR-themed PS4, but now terminally reject giving you even a cent for this abomination.

We should really go to all Conventions where Square Enix shows up and f-ing rant at them.
    How much Square Enix can actually screw up is beyond Epic.
    You have the most iconic JRPG of all time, loved for its combat system, and you bastardize it by making it into another generic hack and slash..

I woulda gladly payed 300$ for a collectors edition if it was turn based.
    Now i wont buy it at all.

Originally Posted by SeloFF
    I woulda gladly payed 300$ for a collectors edition if it was turn based.
    Now i wont buy it at all.
    Glad to see others with this attitude. If you just buy it anyway, nothing will ever change.

Don't judge it until you try it.

Someone on the comment on Youtube pointed out that you can control Barret as well as Cloud. I double checked the trailer and found out that you can control Barret. This could also mean that you can control the other party members as well. I took a closer look at the trailer and noticed the battle system in the bottom right of the screen. This reminds me of the old gameplay of Final Fantasy 7. I am thinking that they are using turn based but at the same time they are changing it to be a bit like the Kingdom Hearts gameplay. I could make out a gauge under Cloud's and Barret's name in the bottom right corner. Is this gauge has something to do with turn based? This is my opinion, I could be wrong.

The only thing I am worried about is; will the gameplay be like Final Fantasy 13? Don't get me wrong, I like Final Fantasy 13 but the gameplay was...bad. I was very unhappy when you game over all because your party leader gets KO, and the worst part was the other party members were perfectly fine. I'm sure they learnt that lesson because the sequel had better/improved gameplay (I meant Final Fantasy 13-2)

You don't know what the finished game will look/play like. I will wait for the game to come out and see for myself if it okay, bad or great. As I said before, you won't know how good it is until you play it.

Best of luck to Tetsuya Nomura and his team for working hard on this remake, I will be looking forward to seeing how this game will turn out. I hope it will stay true to the original as well as bringing new things into it.

^ Doesn't matter what the gameplay is like. It's not even in the same genre as Final Fantasy 7. I won't try it. I already know everything I need to. I won't support this.

Originally Posted by FantasyDreamKey
    Don't judge it until you try it.

Someone on the comment on Youtube pointed out that you can control Barret as well as Cloud. I double checked the trailer and found out that you can control Barret. This could also mean that you can control the other party members as well. I took a closer look at the trailer and noticed the battle system in the bottom right of the screen. This reminds me of the old gameplay of Final Fantasy 7. I am thinking that they are using turn based but at the same time they are changing it to be a bit like the Kingdom Hearts gameplay. I could make out a gauge under Cloud's and Barret's name in the bottom right corner. Is this gauge has something to do with turn based? This is my opinion, I could be wrong.

The only thing I am worried about is; will the gameplay be like Final Fantasy 13? Don't get me wrong, I like Final Fantasy 13 but the gameplay was...bad. I was very unhappy when you game over all because your party leader gets KO, and the worst part was the other party members were perfectly fine. I'm sure they learnt that lesson because the sequel had better/improved gameplay (I meant Final Fantasy 13-2)

You don't know what the finished game will look/play like. I will wait for the game to come out and see for myself if it okay, bad or great. As I said before, you won't know how good it is until you play it.

Best of luck to Tetsuya Nomura and his team for working hard on this remake, I will be looking forward to seeing how this game will turn out. I hope it will stay true to the original as well as bringing new things into it.
    Only beeing able to control 1 character at a time is still very very bad.
    We DONT want Kingdom Hearts or FF12 combat in FF7. Theres way way to many games like that around already and im really bored with them.

I have no clue where SE got the idea that we in the western world thinkks badly of JRPGS and turn based combat when everywhere you see a huge majority wants more turn based/ATB games again.

Its not a coincidence that sales have gone down since FF10, the last FF that used turn based/ATB system.
    Players feels like its not Final Fantasy anymore and rather just another God of War hack and slash game.

It isn't the same kind of game. ARPGs and turn-based/ATB RPGs play completely differently. ARPGs are more akin to hack and slashers/general action adventure games, while turn-based/ATB battle systems are more strategic and deliberate. Again, completely different.

I've never liked ARPGs. I tried Kingdom Hearts and Rogue Galaxy, but it doesn't do anything for me. Crowbarring in a menu or a timer doesn't suddenly make it the best of both worlds, it just makes it more unwieldy in my opinion. As soon as I saw the battle footage in the trailer, my heart sank. It just isn't going to feel like a remake of a classic FF without random encounters, menus and exciting music.

The worst part is I'm seeing people defend it with crap like "An old skool turn based system wouldn't work!" If ANYTHING were to reinvigorate it on a AAA game scale, surely it would have been this? Instead, they're throwing up their arms and giving us a battle system that looks very similar to Final Fantasy XV, meaning ARPG fans get two new additions while fans of the classic systems are left behind.
    Last edited by kaneten; 12th Dec 2015 at 02:57.

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last