Thread: how to deal with decievers and LMB spam?

how to deal with decievers and LMB spam?

how to deal with decievers and LMB spam?

the title pretty much says it all. how do i deal with the deciever as a human and how do i work around vampires spamming LMB. dodging sin't working since the vampires attack faster than you can dodge, and if your bola is on cooldown or you missed it you are doomed.

does someone know how to deal with it?

from the perspective of a deceiver main, the human dodging/running away means to me that i get a free kill. instead, try to DPS race him. he has the highest DPS (from what i've heard), but he's frail, so just pouring damage onto him will scare him away (or you might actually kill him first). getting bola'd is devastating for a deceiver and is almost a guaranteed death, so i guess all i can say is aim it carefully.

also, he has to initiate from a very close range, so poke your allies occasionally to make sure they're not a disguised deceiver, and keep in mind that his shroud isn't complete invisibility, it still creates a blur effect that isn't too hard to notice. if you don't let him start the fight right next to you, he's very likely going to die before he can kill you

The aim of the game as Humans is to use your range to your advantage and to help each other out. You can match up a vampire's DPS with your own if your aim is true but what's really important is to tack on some damage before they get that close. The best thing humans can do is to spread out while remaining grouped up in an open location where they get a good view of most of the approaching angles. Grouping up just means you want to be within each other's line of sight, as long as you listen out for the sounds of vampires or your teammates in distress and keep visually alert you should get a nice line of fire on any vamps attacking your team.

Bear in mind that it's always easier to land shots on a vampire that is attacking your teammate and the best cc has a damage threshold before it breaks. For example, as a Hunter, you are a great duellist with a 3.3 second bola but it has a 325 damage threshold. To maximise it's value you want to bola a vampire and fire at another. Humans are extremely good at taking down vampires quickly when they have the opportunity to aim at the same target.

This is relevant because melee attacks from vampires can hit multiple targets and it's easier to aim at a vampire attacking somebody a few feet away, but also because it means that vampires very quickly die before LMB spam kills anybody. This also makes dodge roll more effective because although dodge roll can only really at best dodge a melee attack if you roll past the vampire, barely getting yourself a free hit, your teammates aren't rolling and get extra time to kill it before it kills you.

As for the Deceiver, just keep moving. These tactics answer the Deceiver very well if you start being hyper alert. If you keep an eye out for a Dominate Mind Deceiver you can deal 250 damage to him while he stands still controlling your teammate (250 is the threshold to stop the cc, which is also true for pounce and kidnap by the way). Disguise Deceiver making good use of the stealth is hard to spot but you can see his footsteps and there are still little sound warnings, plus if he does manage to open on you if he's using backstab then you always moving and shifting direction makes it difficult for him to get the attack from behind bonus, if he's using infect then you're far away enough from your team to spread it while still being in a perfectly good position to receive help.

Alchemists and Hunters are pretty good against the Deceiver, one lights them on fire and blows them all up, the other also makes them stand out with a bola and puts holes in them. The grenades are pretty useful too if you're having trouble aiming at a shrouded Deceiver. Remember, the Deceiver has no real mobility or ways to avoid damage and has a very flimsy health pool, he's traded all that for the ability to get in close and make a strong attempt at an all-in assassination.

Make sure that when deceivers or others are coming from a far distance to try and hit as much damage into them as possible.

The flaw with a lot of people using deceiver is that they go into disguise from a far distance, that is basically a tell-tale sign that that human is a deceiver as you'l have all 4 of you guys around each other. Once you notice this, just start shooting at the human using aoe attacks etc and he'll most likely run away, then when he finally attacks he'll be weak from all the damage it took before and then you just kill it I guess, just beware when there are clones and try and guess which one isn't moving like a NPC would, if you take out the main Deceiver, the clones will die too so keep that in mind

Gosh, such amazing replies!

I'll keep mine short... Early spotting and teamwork is your friend.

Originally Posted by henrychenn
    Make sure that when deceivers or others are coming from a far distance to try and hit as much damage into them as possible.

The flaw with a lot of people using deceiver is that they go into disguise from a far distance, that is basically a tell-tale sign that that human is a deceiver as you'l have all 4 of you guys around each other. Once you notice this, just start shooting at the human using aoe attacks etc and he'll most likely run away, then when he finally attacks he'll be weak from all the damage it took before and then you just kill it I guess, just beware when there are clones and try and guess which one isn't moving like a NPC would, if you take out the main Deceiver, the clones will die too so keep that in mind
    I rarely see good decievers using disguise as an actual disguise. That's useless against anyone that keeps track of their team mates. The most powerful aspect of disguise is the 6 seconds of invisibility you get from it when you hold rmb when using it. Only way to counter that is to look for dust being kicked up and splashing foot steps in water. You can generally dodge roll out of backstab too when you hear the wind up.

The best counter to decoys (though why anyone would use that over shroud is beyond me) are AOEs right when the deciever pops the skill. Whip is obnoxiously good too, most of the time you'll kill the deciever outright with it.
    Last edited by Aggggh; 21st Aug 2014 at 01:58.

Whip, flamethrower, knives and banish shot are the deceiver counters. I consider poison bolas, firewall, mark target and draining curse soft counters too, though.

There's always the possibility of gettign the 20% faster Sprinting speed perk + a weapon with 5% faster Sprinting speed and then they cant catch up to you, but they wont figure that out before you and them are a fair bit away from your team and when they give up chasing you and go for your team thats when you turn around and finish him of,

Oh God I came up against a sentinel that ran around a block for about 5 minutes. It took 4 laps before I realised that I wasn't going to catch up to him. But these are the things you learn.

One of the most important things in the game when you are on a human team is to watch each others back. A good Human team will spend almost as much time watching each other as they do for Vampires. If you are worried that a deceiver is close keep moving and cycle around your team mates. Don't get to close but make sure that you all have a good line of sight to each other so that any move a vampire makes is spotted early and ranged damage is maximised. Between that and having a good vantage point in which to spot incoming vampires are two of the most important and often under utilised human assests in the game.

scout trap to reveal the deceiver = insta-kill if you focus fire
    alchemist firewall
    hunter bola if you saw him before he cloaked and you know where he will come from (I love when ppl scream hacker after )

last but not least SOUND and team work.

Sound - you know when a deceiver is close as you can hear it
    team work and common sense - if you are a team of 4 and you see 5 ppl, well you should start firing

Scout storm bow - your sticky arrows will show you where the deceiver is

Personally I always go scout with traps and storm bow if I see more than 1 deceiver, I find them very easy to counter.

The trap reveals the deceiver, deals dmg and interrupts, I fallow with knifes for extra dmg and interrupt, gives me time to put at least two arrows in him - then finish with melee, simple.

Seems to me the deceiver's disguise is so easy to detect that only very inexperienced players are fooled. If it weren't for the brief invisibility, the ability would be completely useless. Imo the devs should tweak it a bit to make it usable. Or replace it. With for example, an ability where you stay invisible as long as you want, but become more visible the faster you move.

Originally Posted by B1tstreamAlpha
    Seems to me the deceiver's disguise is so easy to detect that only very inexperienced players are fooled. If it weren't for the brief invisibility, the ability would be completely useless. Imo the devs should tweak it a bit to make it usable. Or replace it. With for example, an ability where you stay invisible as long as you want, but become more visible the faster you move.
    The brief invisibility is indeed its main use, and it works just fine.