Thread: No Pre-Order Benefits?

No Pre-Order Benefits?

No Pre-Order Benefits?

Generally speaking I do not like doing pre-orders but I will if there some sort of benefit for doing so.

The vast majority of titles, even DX:HR did, so I am surprised when there are for DX:MD.

Has anyone seen any mention of any?

Stop preordering. Make them put effort into their work instead of ensuring that they already have your money. Do you people want another Batman: Arkham Knight?
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

They don't already have your money. No money is taken from you until the game is dispatched.

If people know they're going to buy a game (based on what they've seen of game demos, interviews, previews, personal interest etc etc), then pre-ordering can be a good idea.

SlicerDicer... no information as yet but perhaps we'll see some offers closer to release date - Q1/Q2 2016.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    They don't already have your money. No money is taken from you until the game is dispatched.
    First of all, any pre-order anywhere requires a deposit. At Gamestop it is $5. Secondly, at online retailers, a pre-order usually means paying the full price of the game when you pre-order. So plenty of money is taken from you before the game is dispatched.

And as Irate_Iguana said, do you want another Arkham Knight? If my video card had been up to par, I would have pre-ordered like so many thousands of other people, and received a completely broken product. That alone is enough to make me not pre-order a game ever again. Pre-ordering used to be something you did in the relatively short period in the gaming industry where it was popular enough to form lines at Gamestop, but not popular enough for them to print enough discs. Between digital distribution and overwhelming production on the physical end, game shortages are almost entirely a thing of the past. Now pre-ordering is just to sucker you into guaranteeing the publisher money ahead of time, and at Gamestop it is in the hopes that you keep money floating around in their system forever.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

I preorder online and have never had to pay a deposit. I shop around for the best deal that suits me.
    If you don't collect your preorder from Gamestop your deposit is refunded/credited back, isn't it? I wouldn't describe that as an act of taking plenty of money from you.
    Some preorders actually retail for less than the full price of the game as an incentive to preorder. Depends. Again, its about shopping around.

I don't think people are suckered into buying a game because of preorders either; they have already decided to buy. If the incentive bonus is some tasty exclusive then why not take advantage?

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune with Arkham Knight. I presume many thousands of other people purchased, played and enjoyed it. Didn't it get good reviews?
    signature image

I preorder online and have never had to pay a deposit. I shop around for the best deal that suits me.
    If you don't collect your preorder from Gamestop your deposit is refunded/credited back, isn't it? I wouldn't describe that as an act of taking plenty of money from you.
    Some preorders actually retail for less than the full price of the game as an incentive to preorder. Depends. Again, its about shopping around.
    Every preorder I've seen demands payment in full, or at least half, up front. Different countries I guess. I can't find deals for more than 10% off the retail price. And that is 10% off a retail price of $60 where PC games used to be $50.

Just suppose that there is no payment necessary in advance. How many people do you think will cancel a preorder before it ships? How many do you think marketing expects will be cancelled before a game ships? Do you think that most people won't bother cancelling? I bet you that marketing knows that most preorders won't be cancelled and people won't bother asking for money back even if the game is a mess. They aren't new to this. Influencing customer behaviour is a pretty large industry.

I don't think people are suckered into buying a game because of preorders either; they have already decided to buy. If the incentive bonus is some tasty exclusive then why not take advantage?
    Those incentives (actually content cut from the game to repackage for the preorders) are designed to sucker people into preordering. Just take a look at message boards whenever there is more than one version of the preorder. People are debating and planning their preorder or even ordering the game twice to get all the cut content back. The chance for an exclusive will pull fence-sitters towards preordering. Marketing knows that, hence the incentives. These people are not idiots when it comes to influencing customer behaviour.

That content used to be a snazzy skin for a weapon or char. Nowadays it's exclusive missions and NPC's. They are effectively holding gameplay hostage just so that people will give them money before a product is done.

Didn't it get good reviews?
    It got such wonderfully good reviews that Warner Bros pulled the PC game from sale and might bring it back this fall IF they can get the bugs worked out.

Thanks preorders for almost letting them get away with releasing a shoddy game. And yes, I am blaming this on the preorders. Warner Bros knew for months in advance that the game was a pile of on PC. They decided to release it anyway because they had enough preorders and hoped that PC gamers would think it was "good enough" not to ask for their money back. Fortunately it was such an incredibly stinking pile of unplayable on the PC that they had no other choice. Unfortunately the gamers won't learn.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Psssh, you guys are so entitled. Expecting a working product on launch. Ungrateful, the lot of ya!
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by Irate_Iguana
    Every preorder I've seen demands payment in full, or at least half, up front. Different countries I guess. I can't find deals for more than 10% off the retail price. And that is 10% off a retail price of $60 where PC games used to be $50.
    Yeah, us Brits must get better deals here.

Just suppose that there is no payment necessary in advance. How many people do you think will cancel a preorder before it ships? How many do you think marketing expects will be cancelled before a game ships? Do you think that most people won't bother cancelling?
    I have no idea but I have cancelled a preorder before and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Its very easy to do online.

Those incentives (actually content cut from the game to repackage for the preorders) are designed to sucker people into preordering. Just take a look at message boards whenever there is more than one version of the preorder. People are debating and planning their preorder or even ordering the game twice to get all the cut content back. The chance for an exclusive will pull fence-sitters towards preordering.
    Incentives do not necessarily include content cut from the game (if that is the case)... you can get exclusive merchandise. Depends. As I said, you need to decide what is the best deal for you. If there are some people that order a game twice in order to get this-or-that, then that is their decision- I think they are probably a minority so at least we're not all crazy.

It got such wonderfully good reviews that Warner Bros pulled the PC game from sale and might bring it back this fall IF they can get the bugs worked out.
    Not sure what's going on there then. I googled for reviews and got 9.2/10 IGN.com, 5/5 Stuff.tv, 4.5/5 Metacritic, 7/10 GameSpot... so I figured that people got to play it okay and enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    Psssh, you guys are so entitled. Expecting a working product on launch. Ungrateful, the lot of ya!
    signature image

Nah it was an unacceptable mess, for realzzzz. They subcontracted the pc port, everyone knew it was broken, and they went ahead and released it anyway. It's so bad they've canceled the sales until it can be fixed. The game was playable, but even with a 700$ video card it was laggy. A true example of horrid and unethical practice. If some reviewers truly missed this issue, I'd consider a change of career.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Perhaps the good reviews are from other platforms other than the PC? Just seems odd that it was badly broken for some and not others.
    Still, this has nothing to do with DX:MD so I intend to preorder as usual.
    signature image

Not sure what's going on there then. I googled for reviews and got 9.2/10 IGN.com, 5/5 Stuff.tv, 4.5/5 Metacritic, 7/10 GameSpot... so I figured that people got to play it okay and enjoyed it.
    What's going on is you are completely out of the loop but consistently act like you are at the center of it. You think professional reviews are the be-all, end-all determination for a game's quality, and you don't do ANY research or reading beyond that to find out what a game is actually like. If thousands of other people had good experiences with the game, why would I have posted talking about what a BAD experience they had? Do you think I'm just making up because you can't be bothered to actually do any research? The incident has been all over gaming news for weeks now.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Calm down, Agent.

I never claimed to have played that game so I have never acted like I am in the centre of the loop. This conclusion is coming from your own head. By virtue of the fact that there are good reviews out there, it implied that others must have played and liked the game. Nothing more and nothing less. I wasn't saying you were wrong or right so no need to go on the defensive.

I'm not going to judge other games on Arkham Knight's history, so you bringing it up is of no consequence to me. It doesn't put me off preordering. If it does others, then so be it.
    signature image

Those high review scores of Batman: AK belong to its console versions. The PC version was outsourced to a small studio and a short time after release, it was pulled back due to overwhelmingly negative fan feedback (and let's admit it, due to Valve's recently implemented refund policy on Steam). As far as I know Rocksteady and the small studio who did the initial port are still working on it.

As for preordering Mankind Divided, I'm all for supporting these awesome people after HR, and yes it means buying it for full retail price, but it doesn't mean I'll preorder the game as soon as it's available with some horse preorder exclusive gimmicks. I need to see people's first impression on the internet, or I need first hand experience with a demo conveniently "leaked" press beta like the one we had for Human Revolution.

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    Gamer identity is dead, all "gamers" are entitled babies, I'm telling you. I came here to preorder games and eat Doritos, and I'm out of Doritos.
    Why contain it?
    signature image

Originally Posted by besyuziki
    Valve's recently implemented refund policy on Steam
    I *** love them for this. Finally a way for most gamers to deal with games that just won't work on your system or are completely different from the advertising. Since Steam is a major power in PC gaming it also means an indirect way to let developers know if everything is alright with their game.

Originally Posted by besyuziki
    As for preordering Mankind Divided, I'm all for supporting these awesome people after HR, and yes it means buying it for full retail price, but it doesn't mean I'll preorder the game as soon as it's available with some preorder exclusive gimmicks. I need to see people's first impression on the internet, or I need first hand experience with a demo conveniently "leaked" press beta like the one we had for Human Revolution.
    Yes, this is what pretty much everyone does.

Originally Posted by Irate_Iguana
    I *** love them for this. Finally a way for most gamers to deal with games that just won't work on your system or are completely different from the advertising. Since Steam is a major power in PC gaming it also means an indirect way to let developers know if everything is alright with their game.
    Sounds good.
    signature image

Actually what I am hoping for is either this game or Fallout 4 will be the hook on a video card . I preordered Witcher 3 and decided I wanted a new video card too. guess what. the game that came with the card was witcher 3. unfortunately steam did not do their new refund policy yet. ah well.

So you're hoping to get a new graphics card like a year after you got your last one?

Originally Posted by Shralla
    So you're hoping to get a new graphics card like a year after you got your last one?
    No you misunderstood. When witcher 3 came out earlier this year (may 18th 2015 was the release date) i did the pre-order on Steam. My video cards are a couple of years old so i decided to upgrade to make full use of the new graphics. when i went shopping for new card the attached game was witcher 3. Since this was before Steam changed their refund policy I would have received a game I already paid for if I bought the new graphics cards at that time.

Since fallout 4 is going to be released in november 2015 i am checking the shopping sites to see what the attached game is (currently it is Metal Gear Solid V). So I am hoping that in november that the attached game is Fallout 4.