Thread: What did you think of the trailers?

What did you think of the trailers?

Alright. Now that I will get to play the game (I only watch videos and comment on games I can play), I actually watched both the E3 and extended E3 videos on YouTube, instead of the cursory glances that I gave them while I was still out in the wilderness with respect to getting to play the game or not.

What actually is new? It seemed to me that most, if not all of the mechanics of 2013 were just ported into this one. I also missed the sense of hostility and terrible danger to Lara that I found in spades in 2013, which was present even in 2013's trailer.

Yes, now that I will get to play the game, I have turned critic!

Any thoughts?

PS I must say that find it quite refreshing to now be onto talking about the game itself rather than the mess it was overshadowed by regarding that infernal arrangement and concerns about getting to play it or not!

Well, I can't say as I'm shocked that a lot of the mechanics have been carried over from TR2013. That game was obviously a success, and those mechanics work so why not? But I'm not a "If it doesn't break new ground it's no good!" kind of player/fan, and I do know those exist. I just want it to be fun and to come away from it feeling like it was worth my money. I'm liking everything I'm seeing so far, tho I will admit I haven't watched all of them. I only just found out about the bear video yesterday, and that was because it was partially featured in another 'Rise' video of sorts. Based on what I've seen, I fully it expect 'Rise' to be like TR2013 was: Fun.

I like Jonah's new haircut tho.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

If it's not broken, dont fix it Still, there were some new things to be excited about in the trailers, enough to make me wanna experience the game on my own, probably won't watch any more trailers, I'm sold
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

I could quote the wishlist and tick off things that are new, but that would take time. Just off the top of my head though; swimming, climbing trees, better combat, more upgrades (and variants etc), that "learn a language and go back to find secrets" thing that they casually breezed over, TOMBS, grappling...
    signature image

^ In short, plenty of new things Don't need videos to see that, people are already complaining of spoilers
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    I could quote the wishlist and tick off things that are new, but that would take time. Just off the top of my head though; swimming, climbing trees, better combat, more upgrades (and variants etc), that "learn a language and go back to find secrets" thing that they casually breezed over, TOMBS, grappling...
    I did see her spring up a tree in the extended video. To be honest, I did not miss the tombs in 2013, as I found that searching for all the upgrades and collectibles was akin to tomb-raiding. But I will see how much of these things actually are in the final game when I do play it.

I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. Yes, it looks and feels like TR'13 in ways, which is natural as it is a sequel within the same reboot. I wasn't expecting anything else. There are expansions and additions as already pointed out, so it's a natural progression. Some might say that swimming has always been part of TR until the last game, so it's not 'new', but I am looking forward to seeing how it's handled in Rise all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by YardFowl View Post
    I did see her spring up a tree in the extended video. To be honest, I did not miss the tombs in 2013, as I found that searching for all the upgrades and collectibles was akin to tomb-raiding. But I will see how much of these things actually are in the final game when I do play it.
    It's not so much the tombs I miss (though the ones in the reboot can hardly be called that) but the type of game associated with them. Many of the series levels are in urban environments aswell as jungles alongside the tombs but they always kept the series priorities of exploration, platforming and puzzles at the forefront, the reboot discarded all that making these things that used to be the main part of the series into these tiny optional bits instead. The setting for the reboot is great, the production values amazing it's just a shame in my opinion that they created (a very good) 3rd person shooter since there are a million of those already instead of a tomb raider game.

The gameplay trailer looked promising with things that should never have been removed in the first place like swimming coming back. I wonder if they will add any of the stuff from Ascension back in, they had things like springboarding off walls, protecting the companion character, the grapple rope and the way she was aware of the surroundings ducking under objects while still locked on with the dual pistols (underworld had some of this too). They can forget about the shadow of the colosus stuff at the end though as that was awful lol.

I think we might be yet to see some of the best stuff. I havn't watched too many trailers so far and it does look similar. In the interviews they have had a lot of excitement about the foraging system which might be quite exciting with poison and things like that. In the bear scene there was that smoke grenade and the presence of more animal enemies may speed up the pace of combat a lot. We have midi-packs, flares, Lara swimming, bigger puzzles, tree climbing etc. It does seem like there is quite a lot new above what looks quite similar and we might not have seen it all yet.

I've quite enjoyed what I've seen so far. I think at this point though, it is very easy to look at TR10 and see TR9 with a different hat on. It's not necessarily a bad thing, especially considering that this is just based on what we've seen in brief gameplay footage (without a clue at what point in the game it takes place) but I'm just hoping that I don't play TR10 and end up thinking it feels too much like TR9 to consider it a different game. Like Grand Theft Auto, for example. GTA III to San Andreas were essentially, the same basic brick and mortar, but each game had a completely different feel. It's much like GTA IV and GTA V; not that different, but a completely different feel.

I'm just a little afraid that with TR10, it won't be different enough to be able to "tell the difference" between TR9 and TR10. I'm going to absolutely love the game regardless, but the thought itself is a little unsettling.

(click image to enlarge)

I am about to speak heresy: I for one am glad not to see dual pistols. I know that they are iconic to the character; I do not care. To me they were a crutch: infinite ammunition etc. The bow is much more interesting.

I am about to speak heresy: I for one am glad not to see dual pistols. I know that they are iconic to the character; I do not care. To me they were a crutch: infinite ammunition etc. The bow is much more interesting.
    I really like both actually. With the bow I like the stealth element, the precision and that you can challenge yourself with going into combat very underpowered in terms of weapons. The dual pistols are more iconic. They function in the same way as the underpowered weapon . What I like about them is that you can go in there and have a really fast paced battle jumping around like crazy trying not to get pinned down. The bow is slightly more cumbersome in an enemy charge situation and not that realistic. The one pistol, shotgun and machine gun type weapons I didn't really like.

If I had to have bow or pistol I would still choose pistols but is close. Would rather they made weapon 1 the bow and then next one up dual pistols then we get the benefits of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Wing View Post
    I really like both actually. With the bow I like the stealth element, the precision and that you can challenge yourself with going into combat very underpowered in terms of weapons. The dual pistols are more iconic. They function in the same way as the underpowered weapon . What I like about them is that you can go in there and have a really fast paced battle jumping around like crazy trying not to get pinned down. The bow is slightly more cumbersome in an enemy charge situation and not that realistic. The one pistol, shotgun and machine gun type weapons I didn't really like.

If I had to have bow or pistol I would still choose pistols but is close. Would rather they made weapon 1 the bow and then next one up dual pistols then we get the benefits of both.
    I have played the game twice: first on easy, then on medium. Both times, I went through almost the entire game on the strength of the bow alone.
    The only times I used guns was, as you said, when I was given a bum's rush.

Just to chip in...

I used the bow for stealth until I got the silencer for the pistol, then I only ever used the bow to get collectibles and scrap... And just for fun, perhaps Lara could find an artifact that she attaches to her basic dual pistols (if she gets them) to make them infinite?
    signature image

I found both of the CGI trailers really intriguing and actually made me wanna play ROTTR right away! Taking into consideration the space between TR2013 and ROTTR ( 2 years + ) , it is completely logical for me to continue with the game engine from TR2013 but with some improvements. Also , from the gameplays ( nothing to do with the trailers though :P ..... ) I can tell that ROTTR is going to have amazing graphics , surpassing many games...!! I can also feel that this one is going to be the absolute surviving - tomb raiding style game!

I have played the game twice: first on easy, then on medium. Both times, I went through almost the entire game on the strength of the bow alone.
    The only times I used guns was, as you said, when I was given a bum's rush.
    I do miss the Dual pistols a bit. They do seem a part of Lara but I am really liking the bow. I played whole game bow, hard difficulty, no upgrades. I think it adds more challenge and you have to be tactical. Still in Shanty town was more just get killed tons of times but it felt more in tune to the game vibe to make it a real struggle.

I am not quite sure if it means the CGI or gameplay in terms of trailers. I like see a more self-assured Lara that is seeking adventure, influencing events rather than just being influenced by them. Feels like TR1 again setting on new adventure and is cool it wasn't all about her family again. What Lara was saying about exploring was good even Camilla seemed to be trying a little too hard to make it sound dramatic.

I like they way they have Jonah as some company. It does look a bit like TR(2013) but I think there is enough new additions and the bear battle stuff I have seen I really liked for a tougher enemy.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma_Darkmoon_ View Post
    I do miss the Dual pistols a bit. They do seem a part of Lara but I am really liking the bow. I played whole game bow, hard difficulty, no upgrades. I think it adds more challenge and you have to be tactical. Still in Shanty town was more just get killed tons of times but it felt more in tune to the game vibe to make it a real struggle.

I am not quite sure if it means the CGI or gameplay in terms of trailers. I like see a more self-assured Lara that is seeking adventure, influencing events rather than just being influenced by them. Feels like TR1 again setting on new adventure and is cool it wasn't all about her family again. What Lara was saying about exploring was good even Camilla seemed to be trying a little too hard to make it sound dramatic.

I like they way they have Jonah as some company. It does look a bit like TR(2013) but I think there is enough new additions and the bear battle stuff I have seen I really liked for a tougher enemy.
    I never got to Hard. I was intending to, last year, but then came August 12 (or was it 14?), and I put Tomb Raider into total sanction.

Anyway, I knew I was in for a very good time from the start. It took me... Hmm... About 8 to 12 weeks to finish it. Perhaps more; I cannot remember. I only play games once a week: Friday night. One or two chapters per week. This draws it out, which I actually prefer to do, given that a new game is not cheap in my country's currency. Once I finish and am replaying, however, that rule gets suspended.

I was also planning on buying Definitive and Rise for the PS4, play Definitive on Hard, then go into Rise, before this crap. Now that I am in line to play the game, I will carry out that plan. Of course, whether I buy Rise new or used depends on whether it is a vanilla version or not. I am adamant about that. But I will be getting both.

With regard to upgrades... You used none? Not me. I used all! With the bow having priority!

I have no problem saying this: I miss the dual pistols. The bow was cool, and it was my go-to for stealth, but for all else I'd go with the machine gun. I can picture playing TR2013 without all of the upgrades (was "Climbers Agility" actually useful for anyone?), but can't picture playing it without getting the "increase health" upgrade. That would be way too frustrating for me at times, especially in Shanty Town before you go after Grim.

I've actually been contemplating playing the game without hunting and hitting up the challenge tombs and level challenges to see how many upgrades you can get by just "playing it straight". I can't picture it being all of them.
    --->Winter's YouTube <--- Currently Serving 'TR:A'
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldierLTE View Post
    (was "Climbers Agility" actually useful for anyone?
    to me it was! at least while replaying the game, because most times I'm too lazy to take the save way and just jump down, and the roll-over thing is pretty helpful then. also it looks better than her hitting the ground every time, hehe.
    signature image

For me the bow is Lara's new iconic weapon.
    It's just so much more clinical...
    On Xbox One as SofaJockey. 30 years of computer RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by SofaJockey View Post
    For me the bow is Lara's new iconic weapon.
    It's just so much more clinical...
    I will forever miss the dual handguns, though.

(click image to enlarge)

Fantastic Gameplay by the way and i love the swimming part, but do we really need a red painted floor board to actually tell me theres a fantastic view. No seriously, im stupid enough to play a Game and not know my way to rely on colored objects. I seriously hope there arent White Ledges and White Objects again.

I like the trailers. I think this game looks fantastic. I preordered my copy and waiting patiently until release. At this point I don't want to watch any more trailers so I don't get anything spoiled. That video of the tomb was just awesome.

The environments look far more impressive even than first reboot game and think it is cool that tombs are back in a proper way. The bear looked a great new class of enemy to watch out for and I am liking swimming back. Can't wait to play it.