Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lara Croft Go Impressions

Lara Croft Go Impressions

Welcome everyone,

A few hours ago SE announced Lara Croft Go with the trailer below.
    What are your impressions of the game so far?

(click image to enlarge)

Seriously though, I don't think I can take any more E3 excitement...
    signature image

Nice but Android or Ios ?

Considering it's made by the same people that have made Hitman Go, I'd say it'll be available on the same platforms... (ie Android, iOS and Windows Phone).

And with that being said, I'll have to look into Hitman Go. I love the looks of this new game but can't really understand how it works from that one video lol.

I LOVE that Lara is back in the classic outfit again and it really is wonderful to see this embrace of the elements which comprise the roots of the series.

As for the rest of the demo I remember around about AOD time there was a TR game on DS and this looks a bit similar. I recall it didn't quite do it for me so hope this plays better. The graphics look a little blocky like Samurai Jack but I like is something good by including a strong puzzle element. I would have like to have seen some more of how complex the puzzles are or of some different locations.

I don't get why SE have this thing for mobile games. I like them marketing classic Lara to new audience but would prefer console downloadable games. Maybe a full new 'classic style' game put together than the components of that (eg puzzles, platforming) done in separate games for mobile. Saying that Relic Run was a good try so hope there is more to see with Go to match up to it.

I thought Hitman GO was absolutely brilliant. I loved everything about it. I really should write a review about it at some point.

To have a Lara Croft game based just on the same basic concept but executed completely in its own style, which looks incredibly amazing, and with its own mechanics, which we've already seen a little bit of in the trailer...

!!!!!

I'm very excited for this

The music in that trailer!
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Hey everyone!

Nick here from Square Enix Montreal. Just letting you know I'm here and reading all your comments (which are pretty positive!!!) and transmitting them to the team!

It's awesome to read that Lara Croft fans are excited as we are about the game!

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or comments!

Cheers!

Hi Nick!

I've not played Hitman GO, so I don't have too much knowledge about what the game is like. So, what kind of gameplay and puzzles can I (and others) expect to see in Lara Croft GO?
    signature image

By the way, because the E3 Rise Fan Ambassadors weren't going to be able to attend the Square Enix event at E3 due to scheduling, we were sworn to secrecy and we got to be the first ones to see the trailer

In all the excitement for Rise and with the recent release of Relic Run, we just couldn't believe that there was MORE Tomb Raider gaming coming our way. It makes it an amazing time to be a Tomb Raider fan.

One of my first comments when we saw the trailer was, Hitman GO and Relic Run set a really high standard for quality in mobile games, and it looks like Lara Croft GO will be the same. Hitman GO was a brilliantly unique concept that was extremely well executed, and to put "Relic Run" and "Temple Run" in the same sentence does a huge disservice to Relic Run, which is barely comparable to Temple Run except for that there is some running and there are some coins. I won't go into a long essay, but suffice it to say that they have incredible production values and refined details in every aspect, from sound to music to graphics to gameplay. These are not flaky mobile games that you should ignore or not take them seriously. In my opinion they are real gaming experiences that a lot of love, hard work and real talent went into.
    signature image

Looks good especially the classic style of it but I am not quite sure how the gameplay and puzzles work from that alone. Not yet obvious if it is timed puzzles, falling down holes or lethal traps/enemies that are the danger element?

There's a lenghtier direct-feed video showcasing the first few levels. It plays much faster than I expected it to, keeping in mind it's a turn based game. From what I've seen so far (including the E3 presentation), everything about the game is puzzle-based, so there's no actual combat/enemies per se, it's all about approaching them from the right angle under the right circumstances.

This is the E3 demo I mentioned:

Pretty excited for this game tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
    There's a lenghtier direct-feed video showcasing the first few levels. It plays much faster than I expected it to
    By "plays much faster," do you mean the shortness of the "levels" we see here?

Just like Hitman GO, Meagan told us (and it's alluded to in the video) that there is a learning curve to acclimate players to the mechanics, and that the complexity of the puzzles increases as you GO. From Meagan's comments that I remember, it sounded like the puzzles get very challenging.
    signature image

No - I meant that as it's turn based I expected you'd have to wait a few seconds before being able to make your next move (as in SNES era turn-based RPG games). It looks as though as your actions have immediate consequences so you don't have to wait until it all plays out.

I haven't seen the Hitman game but think it might work. I would like to see something quite a bit further on in the game to see it at full potential.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma_Darkmoon_ View Post
    I haven't seen the Hitman game but think it might work. I would like to see something quite a bit further on in the game to see it at full potential.
    The Hitman game is very cool, very stylized but completely different to what we've seen of Lara Croft GO so far - really the only similarity is the basic concept behind the style of gameplay, so seeing it may or may not help.

I had a message from Nicolas where he mentioned to me, "we'll announce soon the date" - I can't wait

The art style is GORGEOUS
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    Hi Nick!

I've not played Hitman GO, so I don't have too much knowledge about what the game is like. So, what kind of gameplay and puzzles can I (and others) expect to see in Lara Croft GO?
    I won't talk to much about the different mechanics but you can see from the demos we did at E3 that we have a bunch of different stuff. It's the base gameplay you'd find in Hitman GO but with the Lara Croft twist. So there are cracks on the floors and walls, you'll find spears that you can use and serpents that attack you if you walk in front of them.

Of course there are PLENTY of new mechanics introduced all throughout the game. We'll reveal more info soon but the rest you'll have to discover for yourself when the game comes out!

Cheers!

Is the spear supposed to be a weapon or like TR3 crowbar to open doors? I like all the nostalgia in this but want to see a bit at full pace as that looked very simple but is at start of game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaugmar View Post
    Is the spear supposed to be a weapon or like TR3 crowbar to open doors? I like all the nostalgia in this but want to see a bit at full pace as that looked very simple but is at start of game.
    I can speak to how Hitman GO progressed, and I'm going to accelerate it a bit for the purpose of illustration:

Very, very simple to start with. You literally learn just one mechanic. Then in the next level, you learn a second mechanic. Then in the third level, a third mechanic. In the fourth level, a fourth mechanic. And then suddenly in the next level, you get all those mechanics combined and you feel a real sense of satisfaction when you finish it... and then in the next level, you get the combined mechanics and you get totally stuck as to how to solve the puzzle. And then you are addicted and you keep playing and playing that level until you solve the puzzle, and move on and get stuck again. And THEN... then they introduce more mechanics

If Lara Croft GO is ANYTHING like Hitman GO...
    signature image

Wow, Relight just hit it right on the nail, 1000%! The learning curve is just as smooth as Hitman GO in that respect.

As to the spear, it actually allows you to take out an enemy at a distance. It's very practical, you'll see!

that sounds real fun

And the release date is.......!

Still waiting
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by NicolasVerge View Post
    I won't talk to much about the different mechanics but you can see from the demos we did at E3 that we have a bunch of different stuff. It's the base gameplay you'd find in Hitman GO but with the Lara Croft twist. So there are cracks on the floors and walls, you'll find spears that you can use and serpents that attack you if you walk in front of them.

Of course there are PLENTY of new mechanics introduced all throughout the game. We'll reveal more info soon but the rest you'll have to discover for yourself when the game comes out!

Cheers!
    Well thanks anyway! At least you told us about the spear - A token from Totec, perhaps?
    signature image

I like the concept and think it could be lot of fun. The classic Lara style is very cool and I really like challenging puzzle games.

Here is a new gameplay demo, a bit more spoilery as they go into further levels to showcase different game mechanics (like pushblock puzzles and rolling boulders). Can't wait to get my hands on this!

^ EURGH It looks so damn awesome!
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast