Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: The vast majority of people want the FF7 remake to be turn based. Listen to this SE.

The vast majority of people want the FF7 remake to be turn based. Listen to this SE.

Haven't been on this forum for years. Logged in just to say that I am really excited for FF7 Remake. But also wanted to say that I won't buy it if it's not turn based. I am tired of all these action RPGs. I want my turn based ATB goodness back in my FF games. Take notes Square.

Ok I will chime in on the most required parts of FF7 are very simple, CAMERA, we ask for the thirdperson, rearview, topdown view keep the original style please. WORLD MAP from the original. EXPLORATION and NON LINEAR GAMEPLAY area must, retention of the BOSSES Ruby Emerald Diamond and Ultima, a few new bosses, challenges, dungeons wouldn't hurt. Please feel free to add CHARACTER BACKSTORY as far back as you like... individual full stories. As for COMBAT the option of tackling an onscreen mega monster is fine, make more "Zoloms" (I enjoy killing that damn snake, and wish there were more like it) keep a RANDOM ENCOUNTER to mix it up a bit as to the ATB vs LIVE COMBAT it should be an option, lets hope for both. I would love to see it in the options CLASSIC or MODERN option in the gameplay, there should be that difference. Other than that lets all be good and buy our PS4 like we promised we would if they ever gave us this game.
    "take the time to do it justice."
    Gratefully,
    Me
    Last edited by Cid_Steiner; 13th Jul 2015 at 08:43.

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't turn based. Turn based can be a little boring sometimes. Besides, if you want the exact same game you should just go play the old version.

....but I agree with you. It has to have the world map. and no linear final fantasy 7.
    Originally Posted by Cid_Steiner
    Ok I will chime in on the most required parts of FF7 are very simple, CAMERA, we ask for the thirdperson, rearview, topdown view keep the original style please. WORLD MAP from the original. EXPLORATION and NON LINEAR GAMEPLAY area must, retention of the BOSSES Ruby Emerald Diamond and Ultima, a few new bosses, challenges, dungeons wouldn't hurt. Please feel free to add CHARACTER BACKSTORY as far back as you like... individual full stories. As for COMBAT the option of tackling an onscreen mega monster is fine, make more "Zoloms" (I enjoy killing that damn snake, and wish there were more like it) keep a RANDOM ENCOUNTER to mix it up a bit as to the ATB vs LIVE COMBAT it should be an option, lets hope for both. I would love to see it in the options CLASSIC or MODERN option in the gameplay, there should be that difference. Other than that lets all be good and buy our PS4 like we promised we would if they ever gave us this game.
    "take the time to do it justice."
    Gratefully,
    Me

I really enjoy the people arguing over making the game an ARPG over turn based. The facts are very very simple. FFVII is absolutely beloved the way it is today. The millions of fans begging for the remake for ~18 years fell in love with the game for a reason, one of those being the way the battle system works. You spend way to much time of the game in the battle system to monkey around with it too much. If you do, you essential aren't remaking the game, your making a new/different game with a very similar story.

I also can't really comprehend how they would incorporate the amazing materia system into ARPG format. It just doesn't make sense. I think kids and others have way to much ADHD now and don't know how to enjoy a turned based game (this is obviously a biased statement and I'm sure someone will quote it and try to same something snippy/witty).

There are plenty things they can do to the battle system to make it feel more alive and make it better...
    Make everyone moving around in the battle screen (almost like live fighting action while it waits for you to enter commands). Think of how RTS figures fight but more up close and epic looking until you choose an action. This is one direction Square never went, they went directly to the ARPG. In my opinion and according to how the company has done, it was a bad one.
    Make everything more fluid when casting spells/summons/skills. Obviously updating the animations of the skills can be more involved as well.
    If you want to incorporate something new in the battle system then look back at other successfully games and take a page from them. Think of Chrono Trigger... Maybe make new combination moves/limits that involve multiple characters.

All being said there's a few things that just make sense for what they're doing in the remake (not just battle system related). If you want an ARPG then play one of the new they games spew out constantly. Keep it turned based, just modify some things to make it feel newer and fun. Don't mess with materia, nothing has been as cool and customizable since. For the love of <Enter Deity Here> keep the random encounters and world map. Fix the translations! And most important, don't make Cloud feel/sound emo. Just look at Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars II-III, that didn't go very well now did it!

And just so I can throw a quip out there for all my turn-based fans... I challenge anyone to name a Squaresoft/Enix/Square-Enix game more popular than the turned based ones (i.e. FFVII, FFIII/FFVI, Chrono Trigger). You might be able to find one that made more money (inflation is a *) but when it comes to sales #'s and popularity, turn-based takes the cake and made the JRPG what it is today!
    Last edited by Zimdawg; 16th Jul 2015 at 20:30.

Originally Posted by mastermx
    Haven't been on this forum for years. Logged in just to say that I am really excited for FF7 Remake. But also wanted to say that I won't buy it if it's not turn based. I am tired of all these action RPGs. I want my turn based ATB goodness back in my FF games. Take notes Square.
    I agree with this entirely - I am sick to death of "action" RPGs... mindless button mashing nonsense. Give me my ATB counter and limit breaks back!

Kingdom hearts.

Also, I am ADHD and i take offense to your comment about how ADHD people can't handle turn based games. Maybe any other battle style is too hard for you, which is ok. However, turn based games are actually incredibly easy - annoyingly easy. Other battle systems have been very successful in other video games. crisis core had a battle system that was not turn based which utilized materia. It really would not be that bad if the new game was not turn based. And I stand by my earlier comment. If you want the exact same game then just play the the old version. I for one am hoping that it is not a complete clone of the playstation version. I would not spend $400 on a ps4 to purchase that. That would be boring and it would be a waste of time. Why would anybody play that?

Originally Posted by Zimdawg
    I really enjoy the people arguing over making the game an ARPG over turn based. The facts are very very simple. FFVII is absolutely beloved the way it is today. The millions of fans begging for the remake for ~18 years fell in love with the game for a reason, one of those being the way the battle system works. You spend way to much time of the game in the battle system to monkey around with it too much. If you do, you essential aren't remaking the game, your making a new/different game with a very similar story.

I also can't really comprehend how they would incorporate the amazing materia system into ARPG format. It just doesn't make sense. I think kids and others have way to much ADHD now and don't know how to enjoy a turned based game (this is obviously a biased statement and I'm sure someone will quote it and try to same something snippy/witty).

There are plenty things they can do to the battle system to make it feel more alive and make it better...
    Make everyone moving around in the battle screen (almost like live fighting action while it waits for you to enter commands). Think of how RTS figures fight but more up close and epic looking until you choose an action. This is one direction Square never went, they went directly to the ARPG. In my opinion and according to how the company has done, it was a bad one.
    Make everything more fluid when casting spells/summons/skills. Obviously updating the animations of the skills can be more involved as well.
    If you want to incorporate something new in the battle system then look back at other successfully games and take a page from them. Think of Chrono Trigger... Maybe make new combination moves/limits that involve multiple characters.

All being said there's a few things that just make sense for what they're doing in the remake (not just battle system related). If you want an ARPG then play one of the new they games spew out constantly. Keep it turned based, just modify some things to make it feel newer and fun. Don't mess with materia, nothing has been as cool and customizable since. For the love of <Enter Deity Here> keep the random encounters and world map. Fix the translations! And most important, don't make Cloud feel/sound emo. Just look at Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars II-III, that didn't go very well now did it!

And just so I can throw a quip out there for all my turn-based fans... I challenge anyone to name a Squaresoft/Enix/Square-Enix game more popular than the turned based ones (i.e. FFVII, FFIII/FFVI, Chrono Trigger). You might be able to find one that made more money (inflation is a *) but when it comes to sales #'s and popularity, turn-based takes the cake and made the JRPG what it is today!
    Last edited by sp1721; 17th Jul 2015 at 14:33.

In order for us to have complete control over our party members during battle, Square needs to keep far away from FFXIII and FFXV style combat for obvious reasons. Now PLEASE LISTEN I know they are aiming for realism in this remake, BUT the title is Final FANTASY. Which means realism can only go so far.

As someone who grew up with it as her first and favorite game...

No. Absolutely not. The game is being updated, just like you all wanted. The best thing they could do would be to copycat Kingdom Hearts so we still have a menu to keep the materia system working exactly like it used to. With the level of graphics were going to get, leaving it the same would both look and feel pretty awful. To make things look more natural, it'd likely end up like Final Fantasy XIII, where you wander up to enemies for no reason then take pointless damage because you can't control your character. Honestly, if you want to play turn based Final Fantasy VII, just go play the original. If you want better graphics, the old PC version has fan-made textures for it. Old outdated combat won't let the remake succeed. You said you wanted a remake, not a reskin. Square Enix is delivering on that.

Also, no. Multiple combat systems won't work and I don't understand why people think it's even a possibility. I don't mean to tear the idea apart, but I'd just like to point out that you're pretty much programming a new game at that point. You need to write separate enemy AI. A separate way battles start. Re-implement the danger levels. Design and implement a separate battle menu and separate battle mechanics. The games difficulty would also be extremely different between the two systems as well. There is absolutely no way to put this in and not have it take away from the rest of the game. Even worse if you want to have it released in a reasonable amount of time.

If you don't like it, then fine, don't buy it. But considering how you're losing your minds over a very minor change, you'll likely break and buy it anyway because of nostalgia goggles. But hey, it's okay! I was like that too a few years ago. Seriously! Actually, last year I said that I didn't want a remake to happen because the combat would be different and the story would change because of DoC, CC, and BC. But then I played the original again, and it's just...Boring. So I changed my mind about the battle system... But I'm still not happy with the story.

It's better to criticize the things that you love, because if you don't, it won't get better. If you leave things to die, it will die. And speaking of the story! They confirmed that the story was changing. I'm assuming it's adding things from the other VII based games, but even then, that's pretty bad. Do you want Deepground to happen again? How about bootleg Sephiroth? I find this to be a much bigger problem.

Really though, I think the game's likely going to be more fun to play with the new system if they keep a menu, and it'll bring more people into the game which is always good. Personally, I'm happy about it. Let's just leave it and let it happen, alright? Throw out some legitimate advice for Square instead of complaining, so they can make the game better than the original. Which is something turn based can't do.

But I dunno, I guess that's just what I think about it.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is currently nearing completion, your addiction will be satiated soon.

Final Fantasy VII remaining turn based at least in option, is the requirement of more than fifty percent of current fan base.
    Defeating Emerald, Ruby, Ultima, Diamond, Turquoise, Aquamarine, the experience must be familiar, and attainable for fans of both.

it is more than possible to implement an option to mediate active or turn battle.

i believe that the Final Fantasy VII team has an immersive experience on the horizon.
    their effort needs to be more than Kingdom Hearts II Sora Vs Sephiroth!

SquareEnix will always provide new experiences for their fans.
    it is a matter of distinction that makes for the greatest of epic experiences.

Trollingly,
    The Foul Mouthed Maniac

Actually, I don't even like Kingdom Hearts, haha~ I played 2 once, then never touched any of them again. I'm just thinking as to what's best for the game. It's already been done in Crisis Core, but the problem was that there was little organization to it, which really ruined the entire thing for me. Tiny PSP screen not helping. Kingdom Hearts already has a Final Fantasy menu, so if it's going to change, which it's already been confirmed it is, that would be the best route to go.

I suppose multiple systems is technically possible, but it's insanely expensive, so the chances are next to nil. But like I said, the game would suffer for it. More money would go to that instead of working harder on the rest of it. Not only that, it would fill the disk for something so little, so say goodbye to any big open worlds and new content. Multiple disks can exist, but it's... I can't really get behind selling the same game twice. Sold together or not, games are already $60+. If they're going to have to print more disks, let it be for legitimate content instead.

I know how much everyone wants turn based, I get it. Don't fix what's not broken, yadda yadda. But the materia system and the story made Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VII. If you remove that, that's when it's not VII anymore, it's any other Final Fantasy before XIV, minus XI. The name Final Fantasy is linked to the battle system. But it came out in 1987. The system is 27 years old. It sort of is broken at that age. If it's active without a menu and materia doesn't resemble what it used to be, then complain. If it's another shooter, then complain. Right now, it's bringing itself into 2017/18/whenever, and that's not a bad thing.

You're right though, it dang well better be done better than Sora vs Sephiroth. I think more complex combat could fix that nicely though.

i agree with you too!
    however i will not conceed to a Kingdom Hearts influenced Final Fantasy VII

im going to list all the Square and Enix Titles i have completed, that should show you the dedication of the turn based fan!

ready?

Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Legend II, Final Fantasy Legend III, Final Fantasy Adventure,
    i understand they are Saga 1,2,3 and a Mana title
    Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XIV.
    Secret of Mana, Sword of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross,
    Dragon Quest I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and many of their unique titles as well.

I was fortunate enough to own and experience these titles on a major console,
    that is what made these two companies in this era.

Gratefully,
    The Square Enix troll Cid Steiner

Oh, I'm not saying you're not dedicated! You're easily more dedicated to the series than I am, definitely. But I hold VII above all else. I think my personal story with it is irrelevant, but try to take my word on it when I say it's extremely close to my heart. But even though it's so important to me, I still think it'd be better to let it change in a good way, rather than keeping it the same old thing. As I said in the other thread, even without them saying so, Square Enix is trying to make Final Fantasy for other people as well. While I don't always agree with their attempts, I think the remake will do alright so long as it stays menu based. Materia can work exactly the same, strategy can still be implemented, and I think it'll be much more immersive. But I guess that's just what I think.

I want turn-based.

What made FF7 the best in the series was that it combined these three things.

1) Turn-Based
    2) Good Story
    3) Open World Map (Not Linear) gameplay

Now we just need AAA money for an updated game that doesn't stray from those three.

My fear with this remake is that it will meet one or two of those but not all three.
    Last edited by brian676; 31st Jul 2015 at 14:12.

Originally Posted by brian676
    Mm... Fairly sure most of them are the same, weren't they? You have a world map, but you still have to had done this first or that first to get to most places. Or at least until you get an airship or something. Either way, VII was definitely like that, and proof exists. Speedrunners have a way to skip the Kalm flashback, but if they do, the game won't be able to progress. I don't think it's as open as you think it is. And Final Fantasy VI had a good story too from what I recall? So the only real difference between the games was the materia system and a different story.

By the way:

Originally Posted by Tetsuya Nomura
    The remake has already been in development for a while and it's already been confirmed that it's not being directed at old players only. They're trying to surpass the original and draw in new players, while keeping the charm of the original game. Let's help them make the game turn out good instead of trying to push something that they've made clear will not be happening. If you want the old one looking pretty, go play the old one and mod it.

Sorry to crush your dreams, but I mean...Did you really not see this coming?

EDIT:
    Last edited by Tsuyukiko; 31st Jul 2015 at 22:47.

how about this
    "USING" FFXII giant map roaming system BUT uses VII real world map in 3rd which you can explore like in XII where it takes hours to get to one place (WITH AIRSHIP).
    BUT they should put FFVII or FFVIII Limit Breaks (specially like Zell's Limit Break in VIII) combined with REAL TIME switching character option like in X while fighting or just roaming. PLUS taking advantage of Materia System and Skills/Technique System to give you more advantage in the game. and when you summon you can also command the GFs/Aeons/Eidolons/Espers/Summons what to do or just let them do their thing while you do your thing. also add secret bosses and secret items. in short
    a mix of FFVII (Overall), FFVIII (Limits Breaks), FFX (Flexibility in switching characters and stats), FFXII and XV (World Map Roaming System with Airship)
    Last edited by xXSkeithXx; 2nd Aug 2015 at 13:15.

Nomura is wise taking potential new fans into consideration figuring out a way to revamp the combat mechanics.
    One can only hope that this new combat style will appeal to new gamers as well as already existing fans.
    Or that an option will be given to choose between the legacy and the new combat styles.
    The original game gave us some options to personalize how the combat system behaved. So having options like that would be expected.

Crisis Core had a more action based combat, It wasn't great, but it could be worse. What really bugged me about it was that you didn't have control over your summons, and the slot machine rng was a pain.
    As for the characters Tifa and Cait Sith in FF7 where they too have a slot machine system for their limit breaks, I'd rather have those characters limit breaks work more like those in FF8 where you press attack with timing for each strike during the limit break.

Since many of us have different opinions about changing the combat mechanics. One could say it would be in square enix´s best interest to give each character unique combat mechanics to more than just their limit breaks, but without compromising their usefulness no matter which characters you put in the party.

Random battles are too quick and meaningless on the original game. While they are still enjoyable, you don't need to fight seriously to defeat your opponents. So i would like to see something along the lines of a "New Game +" with increased difficulty and droprates of combat supplies.
    If you have played "The Last Remnant", that game has this "New Game +" option where you get to keep some gil and your equipment.
    When you beat the game for the first time you probably didn't fully upgrade your weapons, which is much easier to do in the "New Game +" since you don't have to start from scratch. I would like something like this for the FF7 remake.

With these new obvious drastic changes they are making to the battle system. I would like to point out that the entire opening bombing mission in Midgar will have a lot of tutorials for movement, battle mechanics, and any other mechanics that might be in the game like jumping or climbing (FFX-2).

With these tutorials, do you think they should be apart of the game or not. Personally I miss the old physical game manuals we got inside the disc case.

Page 3 of 3 First First 123