Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: What'd you guys think of Hope?

What'd you guys think of Hope?

Personally, I was absolutely thrilled...and then it fizzled away (only to be rekindled a bit later). Older Hope? Score 'cuz now I don't have to feel weird obsessing over how cute he is. But my word, I never expected him to be so formal and stiff...it seemed, so out of character (c'mon, the last we see of him he's still a little boy, prone to clinginess, quick flares of temper, and adorable bouts of sadness). I was also a bit disappointed that he had so little screen time...his saving grace was his reaction during the ending because it revealed that he was still Hope and not some formal director who only possessed his good looks.

He looked fine in CG, but his in-game model looked weird and it was distracting for me for most of the game. Specifically his lower jaw... just something is off about it. Personality-wise, he's alright I guess.

I still think he's amazing. LOL. Woot for Hope fangirl. He's become so much more mature, and he's been trying so hard to save everyone he cared for, Lightning, Fang, his mother, Vanille, Lightning. xD Woops, did I say Lightning twice? Now that he's older, I don't feel that bad about being a Hope x Lightning fan either. Maybe it's just cos I don't prefer him being with Vanille...BUT ANYWAYS. I think I'll always like the younger Hope though...but this older one's fine too. c:

As one of the apparently rare people who actually loved kid!Hope...I have mixed feelings. XD I mean, I love Hope in XIII-2. I love that the 14-year-old little boy grew up into a composed, professional, brilliant man who started driving Cocoon society almost single-handedly, and getting to see the side of him that changed and grew once he got out from under all of the bitterness and fear of being a l'Cie. On the other hand, it feels sort of strange to see SO MANY fans of him, suddenly. I'm used to being a Hope fan putting me in a fandom minority. So I'm...happy and confused about having to share the love, all of a sudden?

And, y'know, the fact that he's gorgeous in XIII-2 doesn't hurt. At all. Especially seeing him in his CG model/the ending.

Haha, don't worry Aerith, I loved kid-Hope too, though I must admit, I was a bit piqued with his groveling bit in the beginning when they dropped to Lake Bresha (which in perspective was entirely normal). I just have a beef with SE because they didn't fully show that new side of Hope, you know? They just kinda re-introduced him ('I'm glad/grateful you remember me?' Really?), listed all his achievments, explained what his plans had been and were going to be...it just...I would've liked to have seen beneath that cloak of professionalism. In general, XIII-2 didn't have that closeness with its characters that XIII had; to me, it felt all lukewarm.

I like him along with Light and Serah. I didn't mind his being overacting in some cutscenes in XIII, though that was understandable.

I love using him in the party thought. You know, Gui Killing?

Hope is my favorite character. His whining at the beginning of XIII never really bothered me, it made sense considering everything he's just been through, but once he grew up a little he was just so cute. Older Hope is awesome (and totally gorgeous), I just wish he showed up more.

He's an awesome fighter, too. I used him for every mission and for killing Long Guis.

It took a while before I could get used to Hope in XIII. Almost every time he spoke, I wish that someone in the group would knock some sense into him. But in time, I came to like Hope and felt that he was one of the best characters in the story and especially in battle. I was bummed to see that we weren't able to use him in battle in XIII-2. I needed my best medic and ravager.

I am also a kidHope fan, and squeed a bit when he showed up in XIII-2. I liked that he grew through the first game, and changed from the kid that things happened to, to the kid who helped make things happen. I wanted more to happen with him in the second game, and I'll sometimes go back to his area, just to poke him a few times.

Hmm, well I liked him (whoo, he's handsome. XD ), but I kinda hate the fact that he was kinda reduced to NPC status during the game.

I kinda wished they showed him being more active and battling. Plus, there was one scene where he, Serah and Noel first meet and there was this one instance where he was so happy to see Serah and there was a small spark that kinda showed that the old Hope may have been in there somewhere, but he quickly composed himself. I kinda wanted to see more of that to be assured that, despite how responsible and mature he was, he hadn't changed that much, but I didn't see that during the rest of gameplay.

I am proud of him, though. He managed to walk on his own two feet and become successful and indepentent on his own, even when his friends were gone. Heck, he developed a whole academy and jumpstart tech advancement. I pretty satified with how Hope turned out (didn't mind the old Hope, either).

i like the new hope..... yeah he is way different form the little boy we met... but i love these new one -_o *sorry my english sucks*

Originally Posted by Maylacroise
    i like the new hope..... yeah he is way different form the little boy we met... but i love these new one -_o *sorry my english sucks*
    Aw, don't worry about it, it's totally readable!

I HOPE he gets a better weapon in XIII-3...otherwise, he'll be sidelined again like in XIII.

A boomerang, seriously?

Yeah, but it was his superior magic-stat that made him so badass (and the nue looked pretty cool). He could have a sling-shot next time (granted it would look silly) and it wouldn't matter to me as long as they didn't change his 'major'.

Originally Posted by LadyAlaska

Yeah, but it was his superior magic-stat that made him so badass (and the nue looked pretty cool). He could have a sling-shot next time (granted it would look silly) and it wouldn't matter to me as long as they didn't change his 'major'.

Yea, hands down he had the highest raw Magic stats. But that HP part kinda' urked me. I used Vanille since she had high Magic as well, along with a few thousand extra HP. Not to mention outstanding debuffing skills.

It was nice to see that Hope had grown up.

I would've loved to see Hope riding a Dreadnought again in XIII-2.
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Originally Posted by imported_Wayne

Yea, hands down he had the highest raw Magic stats. But that HP part kinda' urked me. I used Vanille since she had high Magic as well, along with a few thousand extra HP. Not to mention outstanding debuffing skills.

His cry-baby HP didn't bother me so much once I got to Gran Pulse; with enough farming, grinding and the better set of bangles (sorry Light), he generally fared as well as Lightning. Having Fang around probably helped a little too. My only beef with Vanille was that she lacked area-of-effect debuffs, so unfortunately, I didn't use her much unless I needed to wipe out some adamantoise. Where Hope's HP did bother me was that whole trek through Palumpolum with Snow. I could not keep that kid alive to save my own life.

Will you can't stay the same forever ya know ?

His cry-baby HP didn't bother me so much once I got to Gran Pulse; with enough farming, grinding and the better set of bangles (sorry Light), he generally fared as well as Lightning. Having Fang around probably helped a little too. My only beef with Vanille was that she lacked area-of-effect debuffs, so unfortunately, I didn't use her much unless I needed to wipe out some adamantoise. Where Hope's HP did bother me was that whole trek through Palumpolum with Snow. I could not keep that kid alive to save my own life.

I don't remember really ever needing AoE Debuffs a lot. Once you're maxed out with stats, there's not much in the game that offers much of a challenge with or without shrouds. It's all cosmetics I suppose once you think about it. I liked Vanille over Hope, because watching her run was like watching Phoebe Buffet(?) from Friends run...like a retard.

His HP never bothered me either. He was always my lead character, and I only had to put HP accessories on him a few times. But I did have trouble with him in Palumpolum, too. Those motorcycles hate him!

I don't remember really ever needing AoE Debuffs a lot. Once you're maxed out with stats, there's not much in the game that offers much of a challenge with or without shrouds. It's all cosmetics I suppose once you think about it. I liked Vanille over Hope, because watching her run was like watching Phoebe Buffet(?) from Friends run...like a retard.

I don't watch Friends, but now I have to...at least a clip to see her run xD Really, I didn't even use debuffs if I didn't have to; it was either Relentless Assualt or Agression. I'm not all maxed out (I don't have all the ultimate weapons and the ones I do have are around lv. 80), so maybe that's why I prefer to stick with the little runt--power over entertainment. If I could, I'd use Snow, Sazh and Vanille...because in the menu screen, they all have big smiles.

If you're playing the game just to play it and beat it, then Debuffs really aren't that important. But if you're like a lot of people, and want to go that extra mile for trophies, then having her around for Debuffs is ideal for just about everything Mission related.

Hope was less annoying in this game, though I hated him in the first part, but he's the best healer and ravger. FF13 Party is forced around Fang, Snow, Vanielle and Hope. Lighting should have stayed the strongest, and Vanelle should have been the best healer. I am... netural bout him.

I think Lightning is strong in her own way. A good chunk of HP ( at 20k raw with maxed Crystarium ), and balanced Mag/Str stats. Mine are 2013 and 1995, with a Tier 2 weapon. Haven't been doing the whole farming thing too much, as I've been working on 5-starring the missions. Three left!

With Lightning's base Magic and Str about the same, she's incredibly versatile in any role, making her one of the best characters in my opinion. Sure, you have Hope that has a few hundred points higher Magic stat, but he sucks when you go into Cerebrus to finish off that Staggered enemy. Fang's Strength is great, but you hope your Hope or Vanille picks up her slack when you have to go into Salvation. God forbid that she's the only one who survives a bad call or accidental Paradigm shift that kills everyone but her.

My teams always the same: Lightning, Snow and Vanille. Hasn't changed once. Keep your Highwinds! I'll take Army of One anyday!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last