Thread: Special Abilities - Unique Rarity Promo

Special Abilities - Unique Rarity Promo

Question Special Abilities - Unique Rarity Promo

Going through your recent promo again, I think the descriptions could have been worded better.

I understand the word 'unique's usage here, is just used as another level of rarity and does not directly mean that noone else will have this ability or that no other exact same copy will exist. No sane player would expect that from a game.

Neither was I expecting OP abilities in exchange for cash or as random drops but I WAS expecting something different than just a rename. I don't know, a different character animation maybe for the actual attack?
    Something to help give the player some individuality other than skins. You have different animations for executions, why not abilities?

Cover of Darkness Special Ability - Unique Rarity

Disguise Special Ability - Arcane Rarity

I can see that this was an introduction of another level of rarity of the same abilities.
    However your promotional wording comes across as if you are bringing in new abilities due to the lore based descriptions you have added (to someone who may not be familiar with the game), and THAT can be misleading.

Treasure of the Kings (Human) chests can contain:
    Boosters, Uncanny Weapons, Arcane Weapons, Mysterious Weapons, and our first series of Unique weapons.

Treasure of the Clans (Vampire) chests can contain:
    Boosters, Uncanny Abilities, Arcane Abilities, Mysterious Abilities, and our first series of Unique abilities.
    http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/nosgoth-...-premium-skins

Whilst this insinuates another level of rarity, it also makes me think that its going to be a high end rarity. I am expecting something better than a Mysterious.

In terms of rarity, I would probably place this just above Uncanny Some visual FX with a buff+debuff.
    As you can see from the following chart, this is the actual rarity order Nosgoth uses (when you sort the abilities via rarity).

Exotic -----------> Mysterious ----------------------------> Unique ----------------------------->

Recharge, Vfx --> Recharge, 2 Debuffs, 2 Buffs, Vfx --> Recharge, 1 Debuff, 1 Buff, Vfx -->

Arcane ---------------------------> Uncanny ----------------------> Starter ------------------>

Recharge, 2 Debuffs, 2 Buffs --> Recharge, 1 Debuff, 1 Buff --> No Charge, No Buffs -->
    Exotic > Mysterious > Unique > Arcane > Uncanny > Starter

Which leads me to another question;

If you're going to introduce a new line of rarity, why not go for the top end? As it is now, this 'Unique' line is worthy of a place just above Uncanny.

Could a dev explain the reasoning behind this approach please?
    And I am not being negative, I just would like some insight into the thought process behind this and how they thought this promo would contribute to the game.

This is a genuine question, please refrain from anger in this thread
    Last edited by SonixSquad; 27th May 2015 at 21:28.
    signature image
    aka: Hellsonix / LeMMy

There's nothing wrong with 1 stat or even no stats, nor renaming/re-describing an old skill with fancy wording and tooltip art, but the problem is like you mention a lack of visual discernment outside of in the inventory. The humans' weapons all have reskins, while the vamps' abilities are all reused mysterious effects. They need to slightly tweak these mysterious effects to appear somewhat different (a bit more glow, a bit less/spotty surface area, whatever, ANYTHING) on these "unique" vamp items to make them truly unique. I really like the skins on the human weapons, even without effects (which I hope can be added to them through crafting, just like stats should be able to be added to the vamps' ones through crafting too).

There's nothing wrong with 1 stat or even no stats, nor renaming/re-describing an old skill with fancy wording and tooltip art,
    There is if the rarity addition is implying that it is a new upgrade. Upgrade implies better than the previous somehow.
    Although, I guess something with worse/less stats and mor flash graphics could be rarer but I don't get the logic behind the promotion. How does that help promote the game?

the problem is like you mention a lack of visual discernment outside of in the inventory. The humans' weapons all have reskins, while the vamps' abilities are all reused mysterious effects. They need to slightly tweak these mysterious effects to appear somewhat different (a bit more glow, a bit less/spotty surface area, whatever, ANYTHING) on these "unique" vamp items to make them truly unique. I really like the skins on the human weapons, even without effects (which I hope can be added to them through crafting, just like stats should be able to be added to the vamps' ones through crafting too).
    %100 agree
    Last edited by SonixSquad; 16th May 2015 at 02:46.
    signature image
    aka: Hellsonix / LeMMy

They need to make the percentage drain on the charge of the special Mysteries like that in the closed beta, slower drain, that would make them very good compared to regular mystery items.

Also it would be even better if they didn't come with a negative effect at all, that would make them very desirable. I wouldn't consider it pay to win because I wouldn't think "uh that team won cause they didn't have that -10% climb speed on that one guys abil".